PDA

View Full Version : OU granted permission to speak with Turgeon.....

Stanley1
3/30/2006, 10:32 PM
http://www.shockernet.net/sn/viewtopic.php?t=3325

I'll say it now, I'm not sold on this guy, at all.

JohnnyMack
3/30/2006, 10:42 PM
Why, oh Karnac of the hardwood?

OKC-SLC
3/30/2006, 10:44 PM
I wonder if we really have gotten permission to talk with Nova's wright.

Stanley1
3/30/2006, 10:45 PM
Why, oh Karnac of the hardwood?

Because I haven't seen anything out of him to make me think he'd be any more than average. I'm sorry, but one trip to the Sweet 16 does not make someone a head coaching prospect. Nothing about him convinces me he'd be more than an average recruiter. At least the AF guy can play the NBA and Carmelo cards. At least the GW coach can say he recruited Rip Hamilton and a few other Connecticut studs.

I'm sure Turgeon wouldn't be terrible, but Sampson for him is a step down, any way you look at it.

JohnnyMack
3/30/2006, 10:48 PM
Because I haven't seen anything out of him to make me think he'd be any more than average. I'm sorry, but one trip to the Sweet 16 does not make someone a head coaching prospect. Nothing about him convinces me he'd be more than an average recruiter. At least the AF guy can play the NBA and Carmelo cards. At least the GW coach can say he recruited Rip Hamilton and a few other Connecticut studs.

I'm sure Turgeon wouldn't be terrible, but Sampson for him is a step down, any way you look at it.

You don't think the way he turned around both programs he took over says anything as to his ability to recruit? He recruited kids to Wichita, KS of all places.

sanantoniosooner
3/30/2006, 10:51 PM
I wasn't sold on Stoops when we got him either.

I repented a long time ago.

Stanley1
3/30/2006, 10:53 PM
You don't think the way he turned around both programs he took over says anything as to his ability to recruit? He recruited kids to Wichita, KS of all places.

17-11 may have been an improvement over the previous year at Jackson St., but it doesn't impress me. And while he's improved WSU, its been 2-3 games a year. In a relatively weak conference, that doesn't impress me. I don't see any stud athletes playing for WSU, just a solid team. A solid team won't get you in the top 2-3 of the Big 12.

Look, I'm not saying he wouldn't be sucessful, who knows. All I'm saying is, for all the crap Kelvin took, and for all the people that wanted him gone, you'd THINK we could get a little more of a "sure thing".

Kelvin definitely didn't deserve to be run off so we could hire a coach that may or may not be any good.

OUstud
3/30/2006, 10:56 PM
I trust Joe C....

JohnnyMack
3/30/2006, 10:57 PM
How much harder is it for an assistant to recruit kids to UConn than it is for this d00d to recruit talent to Wichita, KS?

Stanley1
3/30/2006, 10:57 PM
I trust Joe C....

Joe C. can only hire the best coach that is willing to come to OU.

This ain't football.

Stanley1
3/30/2006, 10:59 PM
How much harder is it for an assistant to recruit kids to UConn than it is for this d00d to recruit talent to Wichita, KS?

Maybe not much, but it helps in selling yourself to other kids. "Hey, I recruited so and so, coached them, and put them in the NBA". I don't know, but I'd think James and Reynolds would love to play for somebody like that. Same for the AF coach.

I just don't know what Turgeon's "sales pitch" is going to be.

JohnnyMack
3/30/2006, 11:01 PM
Maybe not much, but it helps in selling yourself to other kids. "Hey, I recruited so and so, coached them, and put them in the NBA". I don't know, but I'd think James and Reynolds would love to play for somebody like that. Same for the AF coach.

I just don't know what Turgeon's "sales pitch" is going to be.

I won at Wichita State, imagine what I can do for you with some cake and some facilities behind me.

Skysooner
3/30/2006, 11:12 PM

I lived in Wichita for 5 years and went to school at WSU (grad degree) for 2 years. If he can make it there, he can make it anywhere.

That being said, I hope he isn't choice #1. The plus is that he does know the area for recruiting, but he is definitely a coach in the KS mode.

I did hear KS today on The Sports Animal, and I admit I forgot was a truly classy individual he is. I'm glad he is gone just from the fresh blood and new energy perspective, but he is a good person.

OU_Shock
3/30/2006, 11:13 PM
Let me preface to say that I was born and raised on Sooner football, and still love it to this day. However, being a graduate of WSU, my loyalties in basketball will always be with the Shockers.

Before Turgeon took over as the Shockers coach, the basketball program was in a state of disarray. It just plain stunk. Turgeon has turned it around. Period. 15, 18, 21, 22 and 26 wins in each of his six seasons at WSU. I'll take a gradual climb to the top any day over a one season turn around that gets the coach a new job the very next year followed by a team that stinks.

While it's true that there are no 3-4 star "studs" at Wichita State, there are some quality players that know the game and can play. For what it's worth, the reigning Missouri Valley Player of the year was once recruited by OU, and the Shockers have been in on several players that ultimately chose OU, including Bookout and Gray.

Regardless, I would be surprised if Turgeon came to OU, and I would probably cease communications with my parents, who are both OU grads.

I've also heard the rumor about you guys being given permission to talk to Nova's coach.

GottaHavePride
3/31/2006, 12:13 AM
Look, I'm not saying he wouldn't be sucessful, who knows. All I'm saying is, for all the crap Kelvin took, and for all the people that wanted him gone, you'd THINK we could get a little more of a "sure thing".

Kelvin definitely didn't deserve to be run off so we could hire a coach that may or may not be any good.

He was hired away by Indiana, not "run off". This wasn't firing Frank Solich and "refusing to settle for mediocrity"; right now we're Stanford saying "Crap! Notre Dame stole our coach!"

Vegas Sooner
3/31/2006, 12:02 PM
Let me preface to say that I was born and raised on Sooner football, and still love it to this day. However, being a graduate of WSU, my loyalties in basketball will always be with the Shockers.

Before Turgeon took over as the Shockers coach, the basketball program was in a state of disarray. It just plain stunk. Turgeon has turned it around. Period. 15, 18, 21, 22 and 26 wins in each of his six seasons at WSU. I'll take a gradual climb to the top any day over a one season turn around that gets the coach a new job the very next year followed by a team that stinks.

While it's true that there are no 3-4 star "studs" at Wichita State, there are some quality players that know the game and can play. For what it's worth, the reigning Missouri Valley Player of the year was once recruited by OU, and the Shockers have been in on several players that ultimately chose OU, including Bookout and Gray.

Regardless, I would be surprised if Turgeon came to OU, and I would probably cease communications with my parents, who are both OU grads.

I've also heard the rumor about you guys being given permission to talk to Nova's coach.

hahahahaha
....Bookout would not have gone to BTK's alma............. sorry. I am sure he wanted to do the track thing right in front of the ghetto too.

Stanley1
3/31/2006, 12:45 PM
He was hired away by Indiana, not "run off". This wasn't firing Frank Solich and "refusing to settle for mediocrity"; right now we're Stanford saying "Crap! Notre Dame stole our coach!"

How do you know Joe didn't tell Kelvin to start looking? He might not have ever fired him, but he could have told Kelvin to get out of Dodge the first chance you have.

Rhino
3/31/2006, 12:49 PM
How do you know Joe didn't tell Kelvin to start looking? He might not have ever fired him, but he could have told Kelvin to get out of Dodge the first chance you have. That's like Mike Holder telling Mike Gundy to start looking and Gundy being offered the head coaching job at Penn State.

It didn't happen that way.

Stanley1
3/31/2006, 12:55 PM
That's like Mike Holder telling Mike Gundy to start looking and Gundy being offered the head coaching job at Penn State.

It didn't happen that way.

How do you know?

Two things make me think it did, at least to some degree. First, there were rumors of Kelvin "throwing his name" into the open market, specifically the Arizona St. job. You can't tell me ASU is a step up from OU. Second, it really is best for both OU and Kelvin if he left. OU probably gets a lesser penalty, and Kelvin gets a fresh start and isn't coaching a program that has sanctions.

I'm not saying Kelvin wouldn't have taken the Indiana job had OU not been in trouble, he likely would have. But to say that Kelvin is "running" from OU to save his own butt simply isn't true IMO. Those "problems" will follow Kelvin, if they amount to anything at all.

King Crimson
3/31/2006, 01:00 PM
Bzdelic got canned in Denver because the players tuned him out. I'm not saying he's not a potential good hire or he's not a good coach, but living up here in Denver i don't think his NBA/carmelo angle is all that sellable. Nuggets fire Bzdelic and hire Karl and have the best post all-star break record in the league.

AFA is still riding the momentum built by former coach/Princeton offense/Pete Carrill acolyte Joe Scott.

also, one of Bzdelic's children is having major health problems and i don't see them up and leaving the Springs.

He also has one of the worst haircuts i've ever seen.

MojoRisen
3/31/2006, 01:04 PM
17-11 may have been an improvement over the previous year at Jackson St., but it doesn't impress me. And while he's improved WSU, its been 2-3 games a year. In a relatively weak conference, that doesn't impress me. I don't see any stud athletes playing for WSU, just a solid team. A solid team won't get you in the top 2-3 of the Big 12.

Whichita St didn't have solid athletes? Dude they would have whooped us so bad this year it isn't even funny- I am glad that you took the time to watch those guys this year- they had it all big men swing men and point guards- more than I can Say about KS this year. They also lost to the future NC in the sweet 16- mark it down.

stoopified
3/31/2006, 05:06 PM

I'm sure Turgeon wouldn't be terrible, but Sampson for him is a step down, any way you look at it.Amen brother.

stoopified
3/31/2006, 05:24 PM
Please no MT.

Ruprecht
3/31/2006, 05:46 PM

Possibly the most ignorant post ever written and proof positive that this is a football school only. This job is NOT better than the one at Wichita State---because of stuff like this.

Stoop Dawg
3/31/2006, 06:22 PM
If he hasn't won a NC, he's not welcome here. We wan't championships, not Sweet Sixteens.

Right? Right?

soonermark
3/31/2006, 06:40 PM
If he hasn't won a NC, he's not welcome here. We wan't championships, not Sweet Sixteens.

Right? Right?

Yeah, because it's either Kelvin, or NC winning Hall of Famer's, there's nothing in between.:rolleyes:

Stoop Dawg
3/31/2006, 06:55 PM
Yeah, because it's either Kelvin, or NC winning Hall of Famer's, there's nothing in between.:rolleyes:

Sorry, bro. OU wants to win Championships. Just because you have lower expectations doesn't mean everyone else should. Or so I'm told. :rolleyes:

westcoast_sooner
4/1/2006, 12:28 AM
I'm not understanding why OU wouldn't look for a big-name coach rather than try and give some guy from a lesser program a promotion. OU has proven themselves over the last several years to be a basketball school that can play with the best of programs.

I was shocked that KS left (for Indiana of all places). But OU needs to look for someone that is going to elevate the program to the next level, and be competing at the national level every year, like Duke, Kentucky (forget about this year), North Carolina, or UConn. The new guy is likely going to have to deal with some sanctions, but a big name guy will know how to take the talent he has and get them to play. So, the question is are we hiring someone as a placeholder until the sanctions are over or someone who will continue to build a program?

In my opinion, if we aren't playing for National Championships, why bother?

Cam
4/1/2006, 06:52 PM
If you're going to quote someone, you should at least get it right.

You have every right to have low expectations in life. You have zero right to expect others to have the same standards such as yourself. Complacency succs, period.

Sorry, bro. OU wants to win Championships. Just because you have lower expectations doesn't mean everyone else should. Or so I'm told. :rolleyes: