PDA

View Full Version : US Voting Machines Controlled by Venezuela...

OklahomaTuba
3/30/2006, 10:03 PM
I think this is 1,000,000 times worse than the stupid *** UEA port deal.

The greater threat to our nation’s security comes not from Dubai and its pro-Western government, but from Venezuela, where software engineers with links to the leftist, anti-American regime of Hugo Chavez are programming electronic voting machines that will soon power U.S. elections.

Congress spent two weeks overreacting to news that Dubai Ports World would operate several American ports, including Miami’s, but a better target for their hysteria would be the acquisition by Smartmatic International of California-based Sequoia Voting Systems, whose machines serve millions of U.S. voters. That Smartmatic — which has been accused by Venezuela’s opposition of helping Chavez rig elections in his favor — now controls a major U.S. e-voting firm should give pause to anybody who thinks that replacing our antiquated butterfly ballots and hanging chads will restore Americans’ faith in our electoral process.http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/news/opinion/14194451.htm

Ike
3/30/2006, 11:26 PM
ya know what. This is just the logical conclusion of the effects of allowing Diebold to mass distribute their voting machines without ever having to show the source code to any officials anywhere.

There are 100,000 other stupid things going on with voting machines across the nation that frankly, Im not a bit surprised.

OklahomaTuba
3/31/2006, 12:54 AM
I've heard the whole Diebold conspiracy theory, and frankly its stupid and not based on facts like outcomes of elections they are used at, etc.

Ike
3/31/2006, 01:25 AM
I've heard the whole Diebold conspiracy theory, and frankly its stupid and not based on facts like outcomes of elections they are used at, etc.
I don't give a crap about the conspiracy theories. It's the simple fact that its has been PROVEN that their machines are very susceptible to hacking attacks, and that they will not release their code to officials, even where it has been required by state law, such as in North Carolina.

The problem is that such a situation leaves open the possibility of conspiracy, just like having similar machines that are owned by this company.

It doesn't really matter to me whether or not such a thing has actually happened. It does matter to me that we try to make sure that such a thing is highly unlikely to happen.

soonerscuba
3/31/2006, 09:59 AM

Heh, if their CEO would have guaranteed a Kerry victory, you would flip ****, then post protest pictures to prove your point.

OklahomaTuba
3/31/2006, 10:44 AM
It's the simple fact that its has been PROVEN that their machines are very susceptible to hacking attacks, and that they will not release their code to officials, even where it has been required by state law, such as in North Carolina.
What machines AREN'T susceptible to hacking attacks????

OklahomaTuba
3/31/2006, 10:45 AM
Heh, if their CEO would have guaranteed a Kerry victory, you would flip ****, then post protest pictures to prove your point.

Well, only if it were true. :rolleyes:

But hey, if losing the election still bothers you and blaming the machine manufacturer makes you feel better about it, instead of just admiting the fact Kerry was a loser, than be my guest.

Hatfield
3/31/2006, 10:57 AM
people have faith in America's electoral process?

I do agree that while machine voting is probably most convenient, it is also the most susceptible to manipulation and fraud so we need to work on safeguards to the system.

As long as nobody has faith in the process the country will continue to be bitterly divided and apathetic to actually getting out and voting.