PDA

View Full Version : Texas pressure Mallet

BASSooner
3/30/2006, 06:08 PM
This is just an example of how low texas recruiting is. go to www.rivals100.com and click on the link "Texas done recruiting Mallet?" UT called him and told him that if he doesn't make a decision soon that they will move one and find another QB. HE'S ONLY A JUNIOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

P.S. Their next target is John Brantly a kid from florida. A QB they won't get. They would be competing with canes, noles, gators, hokies and possibly another SEC to get this guy.

AustinTXHorn
3/30/2006, 06:51 PM
This is just an example of how low texas recruiting is. go to www.rivals100.com and click on the link "Texas done recruiting Mallet?" UT called him and told him that if he doesn't make a decision soon that they will move one and find another QB. HE'S ONLY A JUNIOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

P.S. Their next target is John Brantly a kid from florida. A QB they won't get. They would be competing with canes, noles, gators, hokies and possibly another SEC to get this guy.
...and Texas is almost done with the recruiting class. I'm missing the point on how it's "low" to tell a recruit to make a decision or get passed up. Texas will have three freshman QBs on the roster and just got a commit from Chiles, who is a blue chip ATH that will get a shot to play QB at Texas.

If Mallett really wants to come to Texas, then he'll make the choice. If not, Texas can move on without him. It's not like Mack Brown is pulling his scholarship or something...

BASSooner
3/30/2006, 07:29 PM
eh that's true. I just still think it's kinda wrong because he's just a junior and I saw saxet recruiting class and im surprised that it is almost full again.

Harry Beanbag
3/30/2006, 07:45 PM
It is rather ridiculous to give the guy a couple of days to decide when signing day is over 10 months away. He can't even take any official visits yet.

The Consumate Showman
3/30/2006, 11:04 PM
I have to say, if someone came to me with an ulitmateum, my, and I think most of our, reactions would be to throw it back in that entity's face. Do the right thing Mallet! F@$K those Whorns!!!

Herr Scholz
3/31/2006, 12:15 PM
BAS, how is it 'low' for Brown to be honest with this kid? I don't see it. UT has a lot of recruiting leverage, that's no secret. We've offered 21 kids in the last month and 17 have already verballed. It's basically get on board or we'll get kids who know they want to come to Austin. You guys are the same way. You want kids who want to be there.

Plus, we've been strung along and burned by several blue chip QBs in the past several years. You can't blame Brown for not wanting to go through that again. The kid wasn't coming to Texas anyway. He's going to Ann Arbor.

Desert Sapper
3/31/2006, 12:44 PM
Eh, I think it's great that you guys are filling up with all these kids for next years class. It just means there will be more kids to waffle, more kids that will have great senior seasons that you won't be able to offer. Essentially, more talent for us. Drive on with that early recruiting. Hope it doesn't work out for you.

PlanOUred
3/31/2006, 03:22 PM
Texas only offers kids that they know will come. They make sure before they "officially" offer. Makes them look like they have a higher hit rate. I am sure they have offered Box of Enid and probably Broyles of Norman also. However, it is done in such a way that if the player declines, they can say he was never offered. They are only a regional recruiting team anyway with very little national appeal. Look at their roster and that will verify it. OU goes after the National type kids and it takes longer. Too, Texas takes chances on kids that haven't proven themselves as Seniors......there are a lot of late developing players out there. Last point. Tx supporters seem to think that if a kid commits early that he is somehow better than a kid proving himself during his Senior year. Somehow they put a premium on WHEN a kid commits as to who the kid is. Then after he commits he is immediately raised in the rankings. One kid went from unranked to top 20/30 as soon as he commited......sure helps in the recruiting rankings race...LOL.

Herr Scholz
3/31/2006, 03:42 PM
Early recruiting has panned out for us just fine. Mack's staff does a great job evaluating high school Juniors. They know who they want and who's good by the time March rolls around. Seeing as how UT has won more games than any other team in the nation over the past 5 years, I'd say this recruiting methodology works.

By the by, OU has been recruiting early in Texas this year, with just a little worse luck. While UT is 17/21 in Texas on verbals, Stoops is 0/16 so far.

As far as supposedly inflated rankings go, these 17 kids have yet to be ranked. Once the recruiting analysts get around to assigning stars, who do you think is going to get a higher rating:

A) A player offered by Texas, OU, LSU, Miami and Notre Dame or
B) A player offered by SMU, Baylor, Kansas and Iowa State?

Herr Scholz
3/31/2006, 03:49 PM
Texas only offers kids that they know will come.
LOL. Like Ryan Perriloux, Kirby Freeman, Bobby Reid, Martellus Bennett, Fred Rouse, Tommie Harris, AD and Bomar?

are only a regional recruiting team anyway with very little national appeal.
A) UT merchandise sales just shattered the previous record this year. I hear people complain about seeing Longhorn gear in places like NY and Cali.

B) We don't need to recruit outside the state. We just won a national title with all Texas kids (save a couple). UT's recruiting philosophy has always been to recruit the top talent in state and then cherry pick a few out of state guys afterwards if necessary. OU has a larger national recruiting presence than UT for sure, but OU doesn't have the in state resources UT has either.

Beef
3/31/2006, 03:55 PM
This is the gayest thread I've read all day. Thanks.

GDC
3/31/2006, 03:57 PM
A) UT merchandise sales just shattered the previous record this year. I hear people complain about seeing Longhorn gear in places like NY and Cali.

Having legions of bandwagon T-shirt fans doesn't mean real ball players necessarily want to go there.

Herr Scholz
3/31/2006, 04:01 PM
Having legions of bandwagon T-shirt fans doesn't mean real ball players necessarily want to go there.
Do real ball players wear things like this? I'd like to get your take on that. I'll hang up and listen.

http://cache.mackbrown-texasfootball.com//image_lib/texas_ring_031706_400.jpg

Sooner24
3/31/2006, 04:04 PM
I bet George Mason is selling more Ts right now then the defending 1A football champions. :D

The Consumate Showman
3/31/2006, 04:18 PM
but OU doesn't have the in state resources UT has either.

Woa there her......then how did we get argueably one of the greatest FB players EVAR from the state of Texas? AD might disagree with your statement...don't you think???

I think OU has stolen its fair share of talent from the short whorns.....

And....what do you call a guy like BJW???

Herr Scholz
3/31/2006, 04:27 PM
BJW? No, OU has always recruited well in Texas. Historically, though (maybe you can shed more light on this), hasn't OU topped out at about half the roster from Texas? OU can't rely on in state talent alone and never gets the whole roster from Texas. You guys recruit out of your state and nationally more than us.

UT on the other hand can get the whole roster from in state. That's all I'm saying.

GDC
3/31/2006, 04:44 PM
Do real ball players wear things like this? I'd like to get your take on that. I'll hang up and listen.

http://cache.mackbrown-texasfootball.com//image_lib/texas_ring_031706_400.jpg

I guess real ball players like going there to get one of those, oh, once every 35 years or so. At OU they get those much more frequently than that.

PlanOUred
3/31/2006, 04:48 PM
OU cherry picks Texas where as Texas is a regional recruiting organization. We cherry pick guys like Peterson, Harris, Bomar, Kelly, Macon, etc. We do th same in Oklahoma, but go a little deeper...kind of like Texas does in Texas. We usually only take only 8 to 10 Texas players, approx. the same number in OK and then cherry pick the rest of the USA.....Duke Robinson, etc.
OU does like to see how a player develops during his Senior year. As for the picture of the ring.....over the years OU players have 7 of them....I think that says enough....as well as 4 Heismans and many runner-ups to the Heisman.

I am sure Texas has offered many players on the QT.....Box and Broyles in OK are two I am sure they offered. However, they like for people to think that their hit rate is high. I believe it is the class that is signed in February that counts and not the commit list in March. Texas did the same thing last year, and jumped out to a big early commit list.....then in February when the signings came in the recruit ratings per player (Rivals) were essentially the same. Stoops knows what he is doing. He goes for substance and not flash. His record against Mack Brown shows that.

NS5
3/31/2006, 07:46 PM
Win a NC and the apparent ATTITUDE evolves to
the monster it is...

Desert Sapper
4/1/2006, 01:44 AM
UT on the other hand can get the whole roster from in state.

We could get OUr whole roster from Texas, too. The nation just has a deeper talent pool than the Lone Star State. Places like California, Florida, and the various regions tend to produce some pretty decent athletes. Not to mention the kids from Oklahoma (like Teddy Lehman, Dan Cody, Jammal Brown, Jason White, and Rocky Calmus) that manage to do great things. I'd say that for a state like Oklahoma (3.3M) that's roughly a 7th the size (in population) of a state like Texas (20.1M), we're doing pretty well with our in-state resources.

The Consumate Showman
4/1/2006, 07:32 PM
That's Bobby Jack Wright HER...and ys, we get a lot of players from Saxet, but what you have to realize is that Saxet is, what, twice the size of Oklahoma? Meaning, more schools, more kids, more talent across the board. It's only natural that the state of Texas has more talented players than most, excluding Calif. and Fla., and yes, UT should comprise their roster mainly of Texas high schoolers, what would be the reasoning if they ignored those kids from Texas??? All it is is simple math HER. Be glad Mack can add 2 and 2 together...otherwise, Saxet Whores wouldn't have a NC.....

OUGreg723
4/1/2006, 07:47 PM
It doesnt matter. Brown recruits early and Stoopsie recruits a little all year and more at the end. We also dont have as many scholarships to hand out so we are being very pickey this recruiting year as well.

Scott D
4/1/2006, 10:24 PM
BJW? No, OU has always recruited well in Texas. Historically, though (maybe you can shed more light on this), hasn't OU topped out at about half the roster from Texas? OU can't rely on in state talent alone and never gets the whole roster from Texas. You guys recruit out of your state and nationally more than us.

UT on the other hand can get the whole roster from in state. That's all I'm saying.

I'd hope that Texas would get 98% of their roster from in state, since it's one of the 5 most populous states in the country. One would think that it would be an absolute failure if they didn't.

Comparing traditional power schools from smaller locations against those from more populous states is like comparing incomes between poor people and rich people.

Herr Scholz
4/3/2006, 12:42 PM
I think you might be wrong here. Brantley's announcing his decision on Wed. of this week...

His visit to Austin triggered this "deadline for Mallett" talk. (1) Brantley visits Texas on his own dime, and his family raves about the Texas program and begs for an offer; (2) Texas then tells Mallett that they will not hold his offer open after Friday; (3) Friday passed without a committment by Mallett, and (4) Brantley announces that he's deciding by Wednesday.

We'll see but seems to look like Brantley to Texas.

caphorns
4/3/2006, 01:36 PM
The pressure applied was pretty simple. The staff could no longer guaranty Mallet's spot if they were going to offer Brantley. They let him know this and as a courtesy gave him 24 hours to say YES if he wanted to commit on the previous offer. Given where we are (17 verbals) with a max class size of around 20 or 21, we really can't afford to sit around. Brantley was ready to commit, so I'm sure our staff wanted to make sure he had an offer in hand. If that's pressure, so what. It's the real world. And we don't have unlimited numbers of scholly's to offer. Mallet is an exceptional QB. But he's recently come out mouthing off about our commit (Chiles) and that probably contributed to our losing interest somewhat as well. I wish him luck. You guys would definitely love to have a kid like Mallet fall in your lap, and you never know.

BASSooner
4/3/2006, 03:26 PM
I'm sorry but I really do not see Brantley going to texas. You guys already have snead and mccoy. If it is just to add depth, I can see why. But if this dude does come to texas to play early, one of the guys mccoy or snead will be transferring elsewhere.

PlanOUred
4/4/2006, 12:03 AM
Texas might have to settle for Brantley since they can't get Mallet or a couple of the other top QB's. I hear he is pretty good, but not in the class of a Mallet or Clausen. Texas only "officially" offers kids they know will commit. They poll them to see that they will accept then offer. Makes their hit rate higher. They have an interest in a great number of kids prior to recruiting season....like all schools. Then offers are extended only to the ones they know will accept. Hard to tell who their actual preferences are since you never know who they really like.

sooner n houston
4/4/2006, 02:23 PM
Texas might have to settle for Brantley since they can't get Mallet or a couple of the other top QB's. I hear he is pretty good, but not in the class of a Mallet or Clausen. Texas only "officially" offers kids they know will commit. They poll them to see that they will accept then offer. Makes their hit rate higher. They have an interest in a great number of kids prior to recruiting season....like all schools. Then offers are extended only to the ones they know will accept. Hard to tell who their actual preferences are since you never know who they really like.

NICK???

The VIIIth
4/4/2006, 03:08 PM
I'm sorry but I really do not see Brantley going to texas. You guys already have snead and mccoy. If it is just to add depth, I can see why. But if this dude does come to texas to play early, one of the guys mccoy or snead will be transferring elsewhere.

His Dad was a Florida QB and a graduate, John's coach is Kerwin Bell the old Fl Gator QB...his dad was quoted as saying the past week had been a good vacation (to Austin and Tuscaloosa) but it had only helped them solidify their internal decision.

I don't see it any other way...

Mac screws the poch on yet another top 20 QB.

Okieflyer
4/4/2006, 03:14 PM
http://webpages.charter.net/harv.olson/Blog%20pix/mullet.jpg

Sorry I thought you said Texas Pressure Mullet

The Consumate Showman
4/4/2006, 03:24 PM
I wonder how hard OU is recruiting this Clausen kid? A Cailf. kid, right? and the brother to Jimmy and Casey, right? I also seem to remember hearing that he's not so keen on going to a SEC school becasue of his brother and I doubt he would commit to SUC due to Sanchez and Booty. If we land him.....

trwxxa
4/4/2006, 07:16 PM
I don't know if this kid is why they are pressing Mallett for an answer. The Whorns think they have a shot. I don't think we do and the kid's dad was a Gator.

http://www.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/recruiting/recruiting.html

One of the nation's top quarterback prospects, John Brantley of Ocala-Trinity Catholic, Fla., will announce on Wednesday among Alabama, Florida, Oklahoma and Texas. Others include Georgia, Georgia Tech, Louisville, North Carolina State, South Carolina and Tennessee. He passed for 2835 yards and 41 touchdowns as a junior.

trwxxa
4/4/2006, 07:18 PM
Sorry guys and gals. I guess I need new reading glasses.

BASSooner
4/4/2006, 07:33 PM
i think we are concentrating more on kinne rather than this kid

Herr Scholz
4/5/2006, 09:39 AM
Brantley's having a news conference at his high school at 3:00 (CST) today. We'll know soon enough.

caphorns
4/5/2006, 09:44 AM
I'd agree that your staff has concentrated more on Kinne to date. But probably the best QB prospect in the country just announced that he's opening up his recruitment and he's just a bit bitter at Texas. I think he wants to stay near home, play in a top program and not go to Arkansas. Seems like an easy sell for Bob really.

As for Brantley, his press conference is tonight. I think most Gator fans who have followed this are starting to see that Brantley may well just commit to Texas. For me, I'm taking bushido's word for it. I am not assuming, however, that the verbal means Brantley won't change his mind - like Snead from last year. I think it's really a matter of not wanting to play at the same school as Tebow. He also knows that Texas will be burning the shirt of Snead, so his best scenario is that he redshirts and has at least a 2 year look at a top program.

Desert Sapper
4/5/2006, 09:50 AM
I'd agree that your staff has concentrated more on Kinne to date. But probably the best QB prospect in the country just announced that he's opening up his recruitment and he's just a bit bitter at Texas. I think he wants to stay near home, play in a top program and not go to Arkansas. Seems like an easy sell for Bob really.

We have a better shot at Kinne than we do at Mallet. Mallet's going to Meeeechigan.

caphorns
4/5/2006, 10:22 AM
We have a better shot at Kinne than we do at Mallet. Mallet's going to Meeeechigan.

I agree that Mallet is probably going to Michigan, just thought it was interesting that he decided to open back up his recruitment after Texas pulled out. I thought there were several programs after Kinne? What's OU's edge on him? Isn't SC interested?

The Consumate Showman
4/5/2006, 10:27 AM
So who is Clausen's fav school?

Desert Sapper
4/5/2006, 10:27 AM
I agree that Mallet is probably going to Michigan, just thought it was interesting that he decided to open back up his recruitment after Texas pulled out. I thought there were several programs after Kinne? What's OU's edge on him? Isn't SC interested?

I never said we had any particular edge on Kinne, but Bomar's only got probably this and another year. So, whoever comes in this year will get a shot after a RS year and maybe another. That gives them a shot as a sophomore. No matter how you look at it, they won't be starting before they're Juniors at SC. The new kid is pretty good from what I hear and he's a RS Freshman.

The Consumate Showman
4/5/2006, 10:32 AM

Kinne would be dumb to waste his time going to SC and waiting behind Sanchez and Booty to possibly get what, maybe 2 years if Snachez starts this year and leaves early...

Kinne comes to OU, he waits maybe 1 year and beats out Halzle or waits 2 years and Halzle to graduate before taking over. I think Sam Bradford isn't going to pan out based on his senior season.....

caphorns
4/5/2006, 10:48 AM
Kinne would be dumb to waste his time going to SC and waiting behind Sanchez and Booty to possibly get what, maybe 2 years if Snachez starts this year and leaves early...

Kinne comes to OU, he waits maybe 1 year and beats out Halzle or waits 2 years and Halzle to graduate before taking over. I think Sam Bradford isn't going to pan out based on his senior season.....

I can somewhat agree with that, but I believe Sanchez can go pro in 2 years given that he was a redshirt his freshman year. That means Kinne can shirt and then compete for the No. 1 QB job at USC in 2 years (probably same time as at OU). Booty I think will be done with eligibility by then?

The Consumate Showman
4/5/2006, 11:05 AM
I can somewhat agree with that, but I believe Sanchez can go pro in 2 years given that he was a redshirt his freshman year. That means Kinne can shirt and then compete for the No. 1 QB job at USC in 2 years (probably same time as at OU). Booty I think will be done with eligibility by then?

If Sanchez can live up to expectations. Palmer and Leinart both stayed for their senior seasons as well, so there might be something there. Booty, I think, is entering his 4th year with SC? Maybe 3rd...

Anyways, Kinne would have to move to an unfamiliar place without his family, so I hope he's a kid that likes to have family close by. And, isn't his Dad a coach at Baylor?? That may or may not work in any Big XII school's favor. Depends on if he minds beating up on Baylor...

AustinTXHorn
4/5/2006, 03:15 PM
We got Brantley.

Mack Brown told Mallett he needed to know soon because Brantley was about to commit.

But you guys were right...how dirty of him to do that.

caphorns
4/5/2006, 03:24 PM
So it turns out Mack's just doing his job . . . extremely well.

Harry Beanbag
4/5/2006, 03:27 PM
At this rate he'll have the 2008 class committed before Signing Day 2007. :rolleyes:

Herr Scholz
4/5/2006, 03:28 PM
Both Snead and McCoy will be juniors in '08 when Brantley is a RS Freshman. He's planning on redshirting in '07 according to his Dad. That still gives him 2 years to play.

GDC
4/5/2006, 03:37 PM
SoonerFans.com=LongwhornRecruiting.com

The Consumate Showman
4/5/2006, 03:38 PM
2 years for Autin Box and Mike Reed to kick his ASSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!

BOOMER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Herr Scholz
4/5/2006, 03:57 PM
SoonerFans.com=LongwhornRecruiting.com
You calling out BASSooner for starting this thread? I'm sure he won't like that very much.

GDC
4/5/2006, 03:59 PM
You calling out BASSooner for starting this thread? I'm sure he won't like that very much.

I'm calling out all the stinking whorns who insist on posting here and acting like it's their own board, but if the shoe fits...

Herr Scholz
4/5/2006, 04:03 PM
I'm calling out all the stinking whorns who insist on posting here and acting like it's their own board, but if the shoe fits...
Well, once again some of us were actually having a conversation and then you showed up. All you do is whine all the time.

PlanOUred
4/5/2006, 05:31 PM
Obviously Brantley was a backup plan for texas. They went hard after Mallet and didn't get him.....he will probably go to Michigan. When he stiffed them they then looked for a backup and Brantley was the first one to step up. Obviously Mallet and Kinne are the two best QB's in Texas.....but sadly Kinne probably goes to Baylor with his dad. Wish OU would get him.....he fits our system perfectly, a Bomar type.

GDC
4/5/2006, 06:58 PM
Well, once again some of us were actually having a conversation and then you showed up. All you do is whine all the time.

Yes, in a thread dominated by whorns discussing UT recruiting in a forum titled OU Recruiting. You just don't get it.

Bevo-Stevo
4/5/2006, 09:50 PM
P.S. Their next target is John Brantly a kid from florida. A QB they won't get. They would be competing with canes, noles, gators, hokies and possibly another SEC to get this guy

Don't you get tired of being right all the time? 2006 RRR...Texas 27 - ou 10. Hook 'Em!!

The Consumate Showman
4/5/2006, 09:54 PM
WHen did this become a board for steers and queers to post on about their school?

GDC....we need to start a commision that would ban all whorn lovers and or fans from this board. They take up too much space in places they don't belong.

GDC
4/5/2006, 11:21 PM
WHen did this become a board for steers and queers to post on about their school?

GDC....we need to start a commision that would ban all whorn lovers and or fans from this board. They take up too much space in places they don't belong.

I've been saying that for six years, the admins are too busy banning Sooners for cussing and naughty pictures to regulate the stinking whorns.

BASSooner
4/5/2006, 11:26 PM
Don't you get tired of being right all the time? 2006 RRR...Texas 27 - ou 10. Hook 'Em!!
Don't you? OU 21 saxet 17. Boomer Sooner!!

PlanOUred
4/5/2006, 11:48 PM
As a back up plan Brantley might be a good option for Texas. They didn't get their first choice...Mallet....and probably couldn't get Kinne with his dad at Baylor. But if you watched the Texas spring game, they desperately need QB's....in the worst way. They should load up if they can...even if it is not their first choice.

Herr Scholz
4/6/2006, 10:44 AM
So Brantley was too sought after to ever come to Texas and now that he's committed, he's sloppy seconds? :D

About Mallett, UT always recruits Texas kids first. That will always be our M.O. That's why we gave him the heads up and gave him the chance to commit if he wanted. Since he didn't, we picked up another 5 star QB that did.

Herr Scholz
4/6/2006, 10:46 AM
Yes, in a thread dominated by whorns discussing UT recruiting in a forum titled OU Recruiting. You just don't get it.
No, you don't get it. You don't have to post on every thread and you don't own proprietary rights to every thread on this board. If it says Texas in the title, why don't you just ignore it? There's obviously a large contingent of Sooner posters who don't mind discussing topics about your biggest rival.

And if you hate the moderators so much, why don't you leave? You're constantly badmouthing them.

David Earl
4/6/2006, 11:05 AM
I've been saying that for six years, the admins are too busy banning Sooners for cussing and naughty pictures to regulate the stinking whorns.

We also like to kick puppies and starve old people.

Mod bashing is against the rules, dude. And you know it. GADOCADWI