PDA

View Full Version : Why are all of the flags at half-mast today?

Jerk
3/30/2006, 05:32 PM
Is it for the firefighter who recently died?

Jimminy Crimson
3/30/2006, 05:39 PM
Yes.

Jerk
3/30/2006, 05:43 PM
Thanks.

Jimminy Crimson
You're welcome.

handcrafted
I think the "half-mast" thing is being overdone. It used to be done only for the likes of ex-Presidents and ex-Governors. Now, it's anytime a public servant of any stripe dies, which waters down the meaning of the symbol.

But, of course, we don't do it for soldiers dying in Iraq or Afghanistan.

Color me confuzzled.

:confused:

Jimminy Crimson
3/30/2006, 05:46 PM
I think the "half-mast" thing is being overdone. It used to be done only for the likes of ex-Presidents and ex-Governors. Now, it's anytime a public servant of any stripe dies, which waters down the meaning of the symbol.

Color me confuzzled.

One of the main reasons I fly my flag proudly is b/c of the sacrifice of soldiers past and present.

And yes, the 'half-mast' thing is going a little overboard. A&M probably lowers it every time lassie dies.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
3/30/2006, 05:47 PM

Color me confuzzled.

:confused:Maybe because we do it for the soldiers on Memorial Day. Just a thought.

Sooner_Bob
3/30/2006, 05:47 PM
They're at half-mast all week here in Albuquerque because of a slain deputy sheriff. I'm assuming . . . they had his funeral on Tuesday and the motorcade drove right by my hotel.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
3/30/2006, 05:49 PM
One of the main reasons I fly my flag proudly is b/c of the sacrifice of soldiers past and present.

And yes, the 'half-mast' thing is going a little overboard. A&M probably lowers it every time lassie dies.Why do you hate dead dogs?

Jimminy Crimson
3/30/2006, 06:22 PM
Why do you hate dead dogs?

Oh, I forgot, the A&M dogs are fully comissioned members of A&M's make believe army. :rolleyes: :D

BeetDigger
3/30/2006, 06:32 PM
I could post a copy-cat thread based on this title but I would proabably get baned, and I don't want baneishment.

Cam
3/30/2006, 06:35 PM
I was wondering that this morning. Asked the facilities guys at work and none of them knew. Must've been the rent a cops that did it.

Okla-homey
3/30/2006, 06:39 PM
Is it for the firefighter who recently died?

Former Secretary of Defense Cap Weinberger died

Jimminy Crimson
3/30/2006, 06:54 PM
Former Secretary of Defense Cap Weinberger died

True, but little boy Henry ordered them down for the fire fighter first.

Octavian
3/30/2006, 08:40 PM

Color me confuzzled.

agreed.

OTOH if we lowered it every time an American soldier gets killed in combat we'd have it a half mast for the majority of the rest of my life...

soonerboomer93
3/30/2006, 11:50 PM

Color me confuzzled.

Considering that he died in the line of duty, that might just be a factor.

Personally, I think it should be flown at half mast for any firefighter or member of law enforcement who dies in the line of duty.

Frozen Sooner
3/30/2006, 11:51 PM
I really get annoyed when I see the US Flag lowered to half-staff on order of the governor. Governors only get to order the STATE flag to half-staff. Only the President can order the US Flag to half-staff-which would also lower state and municipal flags.

3/31/2006, 12:26 AM
m) The flag, when flown at half-staff, should be first hoisted to the peak for an instant and then lowered to the half-staff position. The flag should be again raised to the peak before it is lowered for the day. On Memorial Day the flag should be displayed at half-staff until noon only, then raised to the top of the staff. By order of the President, the flag shall be flown at half-staff upon the death of principal figures of the United States Government and the Governor of a State, territory, or possession, as a mark of respect to their memory. In the event of the death of other officials or foreign dignitaries, the flag is to be displayed at half-staff according to Presidential instructions or orders, or in accordance with recognized customs or practices not inconsistent with law. In the event of the death of a present or former official of the government of any State, territory, or possession of the United States, the Governor of that State, territory, or possession may proclaim that the National flag shall be flown at half-staff. The flag shall be flown at half-staff thirty days from the death of the President or a former President; ten days from the day of death of the Vice President, the Chief Justice or a retired Chief Justice of the United States, or the Speaker of the House of Representatives; from the day of death until interment of an Associate Justice of the Supreme Court, a Secretary of an executive or military department, a former Vice President, or the Governor of a State, territory, or possession; and on the day of death and the following day for a Member of Congress. As used in this subsection -

http://www.bcpl.net/~etowner/flagcode.html

SicEmBaylor
3/31/2006, 12:30 AM
I thought they should have been lowered for Cap Weinberger.

Octavian
3/31/2006, 12:57 AM
I thought they should have been lowered for Cap Weinberger.

you would. :rolleyes:

;)

Frozen Sooner
3/31/2006, 02:19 AM
m) The flag, when flown at half-staff, should be first hoisted to the peak for an instant and then lowered to the half-staff position. The flag should be again raised to the peak before it is lowered for the day. On Memorial Day the flag should be displayed at half-staff until noon only, then raised to the top of the staff. By order of the President, the flag shall be flown at half-staff upon the death of principal figures of the United States Government and the Governor of a State, territory, or possession, as a mark of respect to their memory. In the event of the death of other officials or foreign dignitaries, the flag is to be displayed at half-staff according to Presidential instructions or orders, or in accordance with recognized customs or practices not inconsistent with law. In the event of the death of a present or former official of the government of any State, territory, or possession of the United States, the Governor of that State, territory, or possession may proclaim that the National flag shall be flown at half-staff. The flag shall be flown at half-staff thirty days from the death of the President or a former President; ten days from the day of death of the Vice President, the Chief Justice or a retired Chief Justice of the United States, or the Speaker of the House of Representatives; from the day of death until interment of an Associate Justice of the Supreme Court, a Secretary of an executive or military department, a former Vice President, or the Governor of a State, territory, or possession; and on the day of death and the following day for a Member of Congress. As used in this subsection -

http://www.bcpl.net/~etowner/flagcode.html

Ah, my bad. Does a firefighter count as an official of the state?

handcrafted
3/31/2006, 11:39 AM
Hey anonymous negspeker. Sack up and come out of the closet. K?

OU Adonis
3/31/2006, 11:43 AM
My flag never flies at half mast

Nab'R
3/31/2006, 11:43 AM
Hey anonymous negspeker. Sack up and come out of the closet. K?
Sponsorship is cheap and has some neat-o features.

handcrafted
3/31/2006, 11:45 AM
Sponsorship is cheap and has some neat-o features.

Sponsorship is cheap and so am I. :D