PDA

View Full Version : More Honors for Courtney Paris

Jay C. Upchurch
3/30/2006, 03:01 PM
NORMAN —*The national honors continue to roll in for Oklahoma freshman center Courtney Paris.

The Sooner standout was named National Freshman of the Year by the United States Basketball Writers Association, which is the only organization that hands out an official award to freshmen. The USBWA also named Courtney Paris to their 2006 All-American Team.

Paris will be a consensus All-American if she makes the Kodak/WBCA All-American Team, which will be announced on Saturday, April 1.

“Freshman of the Year is a big deal to me,” said Paris. “It is a sign of my personal success and the impact I had on Oklahoma. As a team, we were able to achieve a lot of things this season and I was able to be a piece of that success.”

The California native has already earned Wooden and Associated Press All-American honors, in addition to being a named as a finalist for the Naismith and Wooden Player of the Year Awards. As a freshman, Paris is not eligible for the Wade Trophy, which is presented by the WBCA.

The awards come in the aftermath of perhaps the best freshman season in NCAA history. Paris became the only player in NCAA history to collect 700 points, 500 rebounds and 100 blocks in a season. She also broke the 23-year old NCAA single season rebounding record with 539 boards.

The rookie averaged 21.9 points, 15.0 rebounds, 3.3 blocks and shot .614 from the field. Each of those marks ranked in the top-10 among all NCAA Division I players. No other player in the Division I ranked among the top-10 in more than two categories.

“I am elated for Courtney,” said OU head coach Sherri Coale. “Her numbers speak for themselves, but what really set her apart is her consistency, confidence and composure. Courtney came out every night and did what her team needed. That speaks volumes for any player, especially an 18-year old freshman.”

The USBWA also named North Carolina’s Ivory Latta as the Player of the Year and UNC’s Sylvia Hatchell as the Coach of the Year.

2006 All-America Team
Seimone Augustus, LSU
Monique Currie, Duke
Jessica Davenport, Ohio State
Crystal Langhorne, Maryland
Ivory Latta, North Carolina
Candace Parker, Tennessee
Courtney Paris, Oklahoma
Cappie Pondexter, Rutgers
Candice Wiggins, Stanford
Sophia Young, Baylor
Player of the Year
Ivory Latta, North Carolina
Coach of the Year
Sylvia Hatchell, North Carolina
Freshman of the Year
Courtney Paris, Oklahoma

2005-06 Honors For Paris
• AP All-American - First Team
• Wooden All-American
• USBWA All-American
• USBWA National Freshman of the Year
• Women’s Wooden Award Finalist
• Naismith Trophy Finalist
• WBCA All-Region 5 Team
• Big 12 Freshman of the Year
• Co-Big 12 Defensive Player of the Year
• All-Big 12 First Team
• All San Antonio Regional Team
• Big 12 Championship MVP
• All-Big 12 Championship Team
• All-Big 12 Defensive Team
• All-Big 12 Freshman Team
• WBCA Co-Player of the Month (December)
• WBCA Player of the Month (March)
• Three-time Big 12 Player of the Week
• Nine-time Big 12 Rookie of the Week

For more information on OU women’s basketball, visit www.soonersports.com.

OU SID

NormanPride
3/30/2006, 03:23 PM
But what about OMGCANDACEPARKER? :rolleyes:

soonerlaw
3/30/2006, 03:35 PM
She can't bolt to the WNBA (or hell, the NBA) after next year, can she?!?

walkoffsooner
3/31/2006, 03:52 AM
she is going to get alot better not a little alot.

the_edge
3/31/2006, 06:07 AM
She's a (wo)manchild.

The Wayman Tisdale of women's basketball.

A BEAST.

sooner518
3/31/2006, 08:19 AM
But what about OMGCANDACEPARKER? :rolleyes:
oMg!!! she can t0ta11Y dUnK!!!!:D