PDA

View Full Version : Is Billy Tubbs available

exokie
3/30/2006, 12:54 PM
I remember in the late 1970's when OU was number two nationally in both football and basketball. And that was considered a bad year. Nowadays I tell people I'm Canadian to avoid embarrassment.

Redshirt
3/30/2006, 12:58 PM
Yes, and there is a reason for that.

Rhino
3/30/2006, 12:58 PM
Is this a question?

NormanPride
3/30/2006, 02:08 PM
Heh. Telling people you're Canadian to avoid the embarassment of being a Sooner. Go back to the whorn board, troll.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
3/30/2006, 02:10 PM
I remember in the late 1970's when OU was number two nationally in both football and basketball. And that was considered a bad year. Nowadays I tell people I'm Canadian to avoid embarrassment.

You mean 88 right?

76-77 18-10
77-78 14-13
78-79 21-10
79-80 15-12

Tubbs got things going in 81-82 and no Billy Ball 2 is not coming to Norman.

exokie
3/30/2006, 02:19 PM
Heh. Telling people you're Canadian to avoid the embarassment of being a Sooner. Go back to the whorn board, troll.

That's Mr. Troll to you.

Taxman71
3/30/2006, 02:22 PM

Wow.

exokie
3/30/2006, 02:33 PM
Wow.

How palindromic of you.

Taxman71
3/30/2006, 04:44 PM
Yo banana boy

OUTrumpet
3/30/2006, 06:25 PM
yes there's a reason he's available. He can't even win at Lamar.

suncoastsooner7
3/31/2006, 08:52 AM
Most coaches who have only seen the tournament twice in the last 17 seasons are available.

BarryBnds
4/1/2006, 05:18 PM
Most coaches who have only seen the tournament twice in the last 17 seasons are available.

I don't understand why you guys continue to throw Tubbs under the bus like he's a bum or something. The best OU basketball times of my life were under his watch. He built this program.

Gandalf_The_Grey
4/1/2006, 06:37 PM
Yep your right, plus all those National Championships that he won, because he was so great, and at OU all we care about it titles!!!!

sanantoniosooner
4/1/2006, 06:41 PM
Yep your right, plus all those National Championships that he won, because he was so great, and at OU all we care about it titles!!!!
He didn't win a national championship so we hate him now?

Gandalf_The_Grey
4/1/2006, 07:05 PM
Isn't that why we hate Sampson?

sanantoniosooner
4/1/2006, 07:10 PM
I didn't know WE hated him.

You're welcome to hate him.

Sometimes it's just time to part ways, that doesn't mean that I don't appreciate what he did while he was here.

Big Red Ron
4/1/2006, 07:13 PM
Isn't that why we hate Sampson?No hate, just disdain for his utter lack of offensive creativity.

Gandalf_The_Grey
4/1/2006, 07:14 PM
well perhaps then the comment doesn't apply to you Non Sampson hater ;)

stoopified
4/2/2006, 12:25 AM
If there is didain for KS because of his lack of offense why is the same not true of Tubbs and his lack of defense?Personally I appreciate both coaches but I do well recall that Tubbs fattenes up his record on non d-1 teams every year in non conference.His teams also played many games to half-empty LNC crowds.As time passes we tend to gloss over and forget shortcomings.

sanantoniosooner
4/2/2006, 12:27 AM
Or perhaps I let bitterness go and recall the good times more.

I'd give John Blake a hug.........shortly after a groin kick.

BarryBnds
4/2/2006, 03:19 PM
If there is didain for KS because of his lack of offense why is the same not true of Tubbs and his lack of defense?Personally I appreciate both coaches but I do well recall that Tubbs fattenes up his record on non d-1 teams every year in non conference.His teams also played many games to half-empty LNC crowds.As time passes we tend to gloss over and forget shortcomings.

I'm not sure what fattenes means. But two things you are wrong about. Tubbs teams used to play full court balls to the walls defense. Remember Mookie leading all of America in steals, and our points off of turnovers were more than some of Kelvin's teams score in an entire game. Secondly, the LNC used to rock when Billy was there. The Skeeter meter. The time when the crowd caused us to win against UNLV (the false horn). The Mizzou game where Billy got T'd up after ripping the officials publicly.

Big Red Ron
4/2/2006, 06:07 PM
If there is didain for KS because of his lack of offense why is the same not true of Tubbs and his lack of defense?Tubbs used a full court press and scored fast...thus higher scores. You must not have watched many games or just simply don't understand the two philosophies very well.

I'd wager that Tubbs teams had higher rebounding numbers and more steals on average than Sampson's.

GDC
4/15/2006, 02:15 PM
Youthful Tubbs is still Sooner fan
By BILL HAISTEN World Sports Writer
4/14/2006

Billy Tubbs looks pretty much the same now as he did in 1994, when he resigned from his position as Oklahoma's basketball coach. Check the Lamar University Web site for recent photos of Tubbs, and you might be amazed at how well he has aged.

Tubbs has never publicly disclosed his birth date, but it is believed that he is about 68. He says he jogs three miles a day.

"I stay in shape and I guess I've got good genes," he said.

Speaking by telephone from his office in Beaumont, Texas, where he recently resigned as Lamar's basketball coach but remains the athletic director, Tubbs expressed approval of the Jeff Capel hiring at OU.

"I thought OU would get a big name, but I also know Joe (athletic director Joe Castiglione) well enough to know that this is probably a good hire. I support the hire," Tubbs said. "I'll call Jeff and wish him well. I'm confident he'll do a great job.

"When OU hired Bob Stoops to coach football, there were people who thought they should have hired a guy who had been a head coach. I think everyone would agree that hiring Stoops turned out pretty good."

Tubbs, who spent his childhood in Tulsa and attended Central High School, said he always felt a connection to the OU program even while

he coached at TCU and Lamar.

"That was especially the case after I got to know Kelvin Sampson," Tubbs said. "Before Kelvin took the OU job, he called me. He had two job offers -- one from OU and one from Iowa State. I always told Kelvin, 'I'm always with you -- as long as you're winning.' I'm a typical fan. I'll always be a fan of OU football and basketball."

Before Tubbs arrived at OU in 1980, the Sooners had made only four NCAA Tournament appearances in 40 years. In his 14 years at Oklahoma, Tubbs took nine Sooner teams to the NCAA, and he did it with a fast-paced, "Billy Ball" style of play. Three of his teams averaged more than 100 points per game, including the 1988 team that lost to Kansas in the NCAA championship finale. His total of 641 victories ranks 34th in major-college basketball history.

"People said we couldn't win in the Big Eight with that style of play," Tubbs said. "It's an exciting brand of basketball. You can recruit to it, but your players have to fit that style. Some teams only defend 35 percent of the floor. It's a lot harder to cover 100 percent of the floor defensively. You have to be in great condition."

Return to Oklahoma: Tubbs said he and his wife Pat might soon reestablish their Oklahoma residence. Their daughter Taylor is in Norman and their son Tommy is in Oklahoma City. Billy Tubbs said he wants to be closer to his grandchildren, and he added that he currently is shopping for a lake house in the Shangri-La Resort area..

Sooner24
4/15/2006, 06:45 PM

As someone who has been attending games at the LNC since 1979 I can promise you there were more fans in the stands during the Tubbs era then in the Sampson era. Back in the day if they said there was 7,342 people at the game there was. In the last 10 years if they said the attendence was 10,672 there might be 6-7 K in the stands most of the time. As far as fattening up on non D-1 teams the only real difference from then and today is there are about 100 more D-1 schools today then there were in the 80's. Now when you schedule Northeast Popcorn State Tech they are a D-1 school as compared to them being NAIA in the 80's.

King Crimson
4/15/2006, 07:05 PM
Tubbs used a full court press and scored fast...thus higher scores. You must not have watched many games or just simply don't understand the two philosophies very well.

I'd wager that Tubbs teams had higher rebounding numbers and more steals on average than Sampson's.

i don't know about higher rebounding numbers....Kelvin's team sent everyone (guards) to the glass--which makes it almost impossible to get out on the break.

When Billy's teams had the players, they were tough on D. the Choo, DJ, T-Mac couldn't guard anyone (and, to be honest, those are my fave OU teams). but Mookie, Seiger, and those guys would get after you. i remember a game at the LNC where OU is up 11-0 before the opposing team got the ball across mid-court. i think it was Virginia, my dad says it was someone else.....i think he's probably right....but it WAS an ACC team.

Sooner24
4/15/2006, 07:07 PM

OU won one Big 8 title in the 70's and was NEVER ranked #2. And by the way when people ask we all tell them you are from Canada to aviod the embarrassment of anyone knowing you were from Oklahoma. :D

Total_Ignorance_Hour
4/17/2006, 07:25 AM

Tubbs teams didn't lack defense. They played at a fast pace which created more points on both ends. Tubbs' defense created turnovers constantly. Playing a high pace does not equal playing poor defense.

Total_Ignorance_Hour
4/17/2006, 07:42 AM
Isn't that why we hate Sampson?

If we hate Sampson, it's because of our failure to get to the second round of the tournament with any consistency. Two. That was Kelvin's longest consecutive streak of reaching at least the second round. He got past round 1 in only 5 years.

Billy Tubbs advanced to the round of 32 eight straight years. He went to more Sweet 16's than Kelvin. He won more conference titles than Kelvin.

And given that apparently the Lloyd Noble was half full for Billy too, it's even more amazing that his teams ran off over 50 straight wins there.

Billy-ball won't win championships in this day and age. But neither will Kelvin-ball. Who was the last team to win the national title who scored fewer transition points than Kelvin's teams do?

But as Kelvin would say, you can't get NBA level players to come to OU. Unless you're Billy Tubbs, I guess.

GDC
4/28/2006, 09:34 AM
Tubbs' age: In this column two weeks ago, we reported that Billy Tubbs' age is believed to be about 68. Several e-mail correspondents, all claiming to have attended school with Tubbs in Tulsa, report that the former OU basketball coach's actual age is 71..

stoopified
4/28/2006, 01:31 PM
I'm not sure what fattenes means. But two things you are wrong about. Tubbs teams used to play full court balls to the walls defense. Remember Mookie leading all of America in steals, and our points off of turnovers were more than some of Kelvin's teams score in an entire game. Secondly, the LNC used to rock when Billy was there. The Skeeter meter. The time when the crowd caused us to win against UNLV (the false horn). The Mizzou game where Billy got T'd up after ripping the officials publicly.To fatten means to gorge yourself(ok I can't spell). Billy usually had 3-4 non d-1 teams a year on his schedule that he fattened up his win percentage with.Second while Billy employed full -court press his teams gave up a lot of points on easy baskets.
That is not a sign of good defense.I like Billy,truth be told I like him better than KS but he wasn't as good a coach especially on D.

BTW I have met Billy personally and heard him tell the T story against Mizzou.He starts off by saying YOU KNOW WHAT HAPPENED THE LAST TIME I WAS HANDED A MIKE AND TOLD TO ADDRESS THE CROWD?THE OTHER TEAM SHOT FREETROWS.He then goes on to tell the story in greater detail.

Full-court press does not work as a base defense unless you are fully committed to run because you DO give up easy baskets.That explains why the vast majority of teams in NCAA basketball only use the press in short spurts and not as a base defense.Tubbs lacluster record at TCU and on his return to Lamar are proof press and run'n gun basketball is not a magic solution.The last great proponent of that style was Nolan Richardson at Arkansas and KS was 4-1 against him.

As for the LNC rocking under Billy ,it did on occassion but his teams played before a quiet crowd in a half-empty LNC on many a night.I know because I was there..

Taxman71
4/28/2006, 04:11 PM
I think both BillyBall and Kelvin Ball can win a championship in 2007 if you can recruit the top talent. Without top talent, Kelvin's style will always win 20, go to the tourney and get bumped early. Billy's style overpowered smaller schools, but fell to talented, disciplined teams who slowed the pace, yet could get rollin' and devour anyone.

GDC
5/17/2006, 10:18 AM
Four set for state hall induction
By Staff Reports
5/17/2006

View in Print (PDF) Format

Golfer Bob Dickson, basketball coach Billy Tubbs, football tight end Keith Jackson and auto racing's John S. "Jack" Zink make up the 2006 class of inductees for the Oklahoma Sports Hall of Fame.

They will be inducted Aug. 21 at the National Cowboy and Western Heritage Museum in Oklahoma City.

Billy Tubbs: Tubbs grew up in Tulsa, lettering three years in basketball at Central High School. He led Lon Morris College in Jacksonville, Texas, to the National Junior College semifinals before finishing his college career at Lamar University in Beaumont, Texas.

He made several coaching stops in Texas before taking the helm at Oklahoma in 1981, posting a 333-132 record in 14 years and leading the Sooners to the national title game in 1988.

He took OU to nine NCAA and four NIT tournaments, including a streak of six Sweet Sixteen appearances from 1985-90.

In 31 years as a head coach, Tubbs compiled a 641-340 (.653) career record with his wins ranking him 34th all-time in NCAA history.

Bob Dickson: He played golf at Oklahoma State under the guidance of legendary coach Labron Harris.

He was a first-team All-American

in 1965 and 1966, played on three Big Eight Conference championship teams (1964-1966), won the Big Eight individual championship in 1965 and placed third in the 1966 NCAA championship.

He won the Oklahoma Open championships in 1966 and 1971. In 1967 he won the U.S. and British amateur championships, making him the last of just four men to do so.

Dickson has two career wins on the PGA Tour and one on the Senior Tour.

He also had stints as an official at the PGA Tour's Tournament Players Club at Sawgrass at Ponte Vedra Beach, Fla., and on the Champions Tour. He was named tournament director of the Nationwide Tour in 1989.

John S. "Jack" Zink: He was born in Tulsa and graduated from Oklahoma State in 1951 with an engineering degree.

He was 23 when he first entered a car in the Indianapolis 500 in 1952. His cars won the event in 1955 with driver Bob Sweikert and in 1956 with driver Pat Flaherty.

John Zink Specials won 13 national championship races between 1955 and 1966. He was a partner in the car that won all three heats of the 1958 500-mile "Race of Two Worlds" at Mona, Italy.

He had at least one car entered in the 500 lineup every year from 1952 through 1967.

He died in a Tulsa hospital on Feb. 5, 2005, at 75.

Keith Jackson: Although he was used primarily as a blocker in Oklahoma's run-oriented offense, he earned consensus All-American honors in 1986 and 1987, catching only 62 passes in four seasons as a starter.

He turned those 62 passes into 1,470 yards and 14 touchdowns, averaging 23.7 yards per catch. He was the first Sooner athlete to win the NCAA Top Six award, presented for athletic prowess, academic achievement and community service. Jackson was inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame in 2001.

Jackson played nine years in the NFL and went to the Pro Bowl in 1988, 1989, 1990, 1992 and 1996.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OKLAHOMA SPORTS HALL OF FAME
When: Aug. 21

Where: National Cowboy and Western Heritage Museum, Oklahoma City

Inductees: Billy Tubbs, Jack Zink, Bob Dickson and Keith Jackson..