PDA

View Full Version : what did sampson say

jk the sooner fan
3/30/2006, 09:40 AM
at his press conference when he was hired here at OU

what were his goals?

i ask, because i keep hearing this "we're a football school" and can never win a national championship in basketball

i dont buy that....i just dont buy it

oumartin
3/30/2006, 09:46 AM
FYI, Majerus has withdrawn his name from the ASU job.

Coincidence? I think not

jk the sooner fan
3/30/2006, 09:49 AM
is that a guy we really want?

oumartin
3/30/2006, 09:53 AM
don't know, just sayin'

I don't recall what sampson said when he took the OU job. sure dont

Crimsontothecore
3/30/2006, 10:08 AM
I vividly remember the press conference when Sampson accepted the OU job:

"I would like to thank the university of oklahoma for giving me this opportunity. I know the players here are tired of scoring 80+ points per game, I plan to change that. With my offensive strategy, I will implement a game plan that guarantees at least one 6 minute scoring drought in every game...maybe two if the players cooperate.
I also hope to avoid costly net replacements. If we can keep our scoring down to 50-60 points per game, The nets will last much longer.
It won't be easy, but with the support of the fans and administration, We hope to go to the NCAA tournament and make some lower seeds very happy. Again, thank you for the opportunity".

MojoRisen
3/30/2006, 10:13 AM
bada bing

Harry Beanbag
3/30/2006, 10:30 AM

Coincidence? I think not

He didn't withdraw his name, ASU passed on him. The AD met with him in Milwaukee early this week. Apparently, he's one twinkie shy of being Mangino-sized, plus twenty years, has heart problems, and needs operations on both knees.

oumartin
3/30/2006, 10:34 AM
okay,, so it was ASU that withdrew his name..

sanantoniosooner
3/30/2006, 10:36 AM
I was watching basketball the other day and realized other teams have scoring droughts.

Really, it's true.

MojoRisen
3/30/2006, 10:39 AM
Did George Mason have a drought against Michigan St, North Carolina, and UCONN?

I think people would say that Kelvin had one just about every single game!

sanantoniosooner
3/30/2006, 10:40 AM
I watch the World Champion Spurs, and it seems like we have one every game.

It may be 2, or 3, or 5 minutes........but it'll happen.

MojoRisen
3/30/2006, 10:43 AM
All of That is better than 789

Makes all the difference!

Hoosier Dynasty
3/30/2006, 10:44 AM

Coincidence? I think not

He didn't withdraw his name he was rejected by ASU after medical tests came back that further illustrated that his health was still a major issue. Well, duh!

RacerX
3/30/2006, 10:46 AM
I was watching basketball the other day and realized other teams have scoring droughts.

Really, it's true.

But when you struggle to get 60-65, the droughts are extree bad.

sanantoniosooner
3/30/2006, 10:49 AM
Well........a drought for a mediocre defensive team hurts worse than a top defense.

The Spurs survive most droughts because they can kick it up a notch defensively and not lose much ground.

RacerX
3/30/2006, 11:08 AM
To answer JK's question. Nobody knows.

MojoRisen
3/30/2006, 11:09 AM
Still 2 minutes - to 5 minutes compared to 6-7-8 while playing defense can mean the difference of 5-15 points you have to make up. You may be able to hold down the other team for a while but if your not scoring you are digging a whole- just depends on the competition you are playing- IE West Virginia - could not stop those guys- oops we just lost by twenty..

jk the sooner fan
3/30/2006, 11:12 AM
To answer JK's question. Nobody knows.

reason i ask, last time i was in OKC, i was listening to Trabor defending Sampson, and he kept mentioning how we were a football school and how we should be thankful for what we have

my point - did Sampson have those expectations and goals when he got here? if so, then he was a success

if he said "our goal is to win a national championship", then i'd say we were either a failure or he had lofty and unreasonable goals.

sanantoniosooner
3/30/2006, 11:16 AM
Still 2 minutes - to 5 minutes compared to 6-7-8 while playing defense can mean the difference of 5-15 points you have to make up. You may be able to hold down the other team for a while but if your not scoring you are digging a whole- just depends on the competition you are playing- IE West Virginia - could not stop those guys- oops we just lost by twenty..
how many 6-7-8 droughts were there? Not as many as it seems.

Most are no more than 4-5. That is STILL devastating if you don't stop the other team.