PDA

View Full Version : Stoops praises Halzle - again

william_brasky
3/30/2006, 06:45 AM
From Today's (March 30) Oklahoman

Backup quarterback Joey Halzle produced another strong practice, finishing with a flourish as the Sooners scored twice under his direction in the late scrimmage.

That came after starter Rhett Bomar threw into coverage and was intercepted in the end zone.

"Joey's doing awesome," Stoops said. "I keep saying it. You guys have watched him. I don't know if he's had a bad day, in fact, he hasn't."

"He's a guy who's got a great feel for the game. He picks up things easily. He has a strong arm, and he has a real good feel and knows what he is doing. He knows what to do with the ball and has good poise about him."

Desert Sapper
3/30/2006, 06:51 AM
Uh oh. If Halzle wins the QB starting nod, will Mr. Bomar curse out Stoops again?

'Play m'boy dammit!'

william_brasky
3/30/2006, 06:57 AM
"knows what he is doing" and "has a good poise about him" straight from Bobby himself. that is high praise indeed.

RacerX
3/30/2006, 07:19 AM
Fantastic!

mrowl
3/30/2006, 07:35 AM
Stoops is playing a good head game right now.

Desert Sapper
3/30/2006, 07:49 AM
If ol' Rhett doesn't figure it out soon and start competing, he'll lose his job. Wouldn't be the first time we started a JUCO QB.

OU-HSV
3/30/2006, 08:18 AM
"knows what he is doing" and "has a good poise about him" straight from Bobby himself. that is high praise indeed.
Yep

oumartin
3/30/2006, 08:21 AM
Rhett is not a good practice player. otherwise he wouldn't have been beaten out by Paul T. last year.

OklahomaTuba
3/30/2006, 09:17 AM
Holy cow.

MojoRisen
3/30/2006, 09:26 AM
Need to have that vertical passing game- if he is the man play him!

RacerX
3/30/2006, 09:32 AM
I think I'm going to have to put Tuba on ignore. Yech.

southern sooner
3/30/2006, 09:43 AM
You think Stoops is just trying to fire up Bomar? Letting him know it isn't his job, it is up for grabs? If Bomar keeps the job is he on a short leash like Paul was lat year or is he "the man" with Joey only doing mop up and if needed for injury?

mrowl
3/30/2006, 09:44 AM
You think Stoops is just trying to fire up Bomar? Letting him know it isn't his job, it is up for grabs? If Bomar keeps the job is he on a short leash like Paul was lat year or is he "the man" with Joey only doing mop up and if needed for injury?

yeah, he is just trying to remind Bomar that there is a guy that can play behind him. And he better shape up.

RooseveltRoughRider
3/30/2006, 09:47 AM
Nope..my prediction is coming to pass. I bleieve it was me who said Bomar would last about a year and a half before some young upstart takes his spot.

william_brasky
3/30/2006, 09:48 AM
yeah, he is just trying to remind Bomar that there is a guy that can play behind him.

maybe Halzle is just playing really well.

william_brasky
3/30/2006, 09:51 AM
Nope..my prediction is coming to pass. I bleieve it was me who said Bomar would last about a year and a half before some young upstart takes his spot.

http://bushwhacked.net/bits/YouWinThePrize.jpg

Harry Beanbag
3/30/2006, 09:56 AM
I think I'm going to have to put Tuba on ignore. Yech.

You would think that would turn into http://www.paratype.com/pictures/help/term/25.gif or something.

OklahomaTuba
3/30/2006, 10:01 AM
You would think that would turn into http://www.paratype.com/pictures/help/term/25.gif or something.
Just a helpful reminder for the people who choose our next basketball coach, if they read the board at all.

That and the super ninja cool suspenders and tie. F'n styln.

MikeInNorman
3/30/2006, 10:39 AM
Rhett is not a good practice player. otherwise he wouldn't have been beaten out by Paul T. last year.

oumartin is exactly right!

Wow, that was tough to say, but it it left me feelin' all tingly. Could a new era of peace and cooperation throughout the world be at hand?

oumartin
3/30/2006, 10:48 AM
you know it Mike! :D

instigator
3/30/2006, 10:55 AM
yeah, he is just trying to remind Bomar that there is a guy that can play behind him. And he better shape up.
I agree 100% and I am glad to see it. RB seems to have a little arrogance that he can't lose the job. I doubt he could lose it unless he gets another MIP, but it is nice to remind him this isn't a given.

JohnnyMack
3/30/2006, 10:58 AM
Wow. A rare instigator sighting.

instigator
3/30/2006, 11:01 AM
Wow. A rare instigator sighting.
Spring football got me all excited. :)

MojoRisen
3/30/2006, 11:06 AM
Bomar hasn't completely impressed me with his long- deep ball just yet! White could hit those regularly when he wasn't nervous and Nate did well at the long ball.

Thompson could not hit them- evident TCU - and Bomar needs to prove he can... Hazle can definitely hit the deep ball...

Just sayin

The Consumate Showman
3/30/2006, 12:00 PM
I think Rhett has it in his head that he's going to be the starter no matter what happens this spring and summer. All of the media outlets refer to Rhett as "Oklahoma's Starting QB." If Halzle looks better than Bomar in practices and scrimmages, might we have another QB controversy

RedstickSooner
3/30/2006, 12:40 PM
I, uhm, hope Stoops doesn't pressure Bomar. It didn't seem to me that Bomar benefited at all from the competition with Paul (I mean, aside from the fact that he benefited in that he eventually won the starting position).

Rhett seemed to play better as his lock on the position solidified. Of course, that also conincided with his getting more experienced -- so it's difficult to assign causality. Odds are it was the experience, but then again... He was Mr. All American in High School, and as the season progressed last year, it mostly appeared to me that he was simply regaining the talent he'd had in high school -- which had gone into hibernation, for whatever reason, over the course of his competition with Paul.

So... Short story is, I'm not terribly thrilled with the idea of putting pressure on Bomar to fight for his job. (Unless he's totally slacking with basic prep, like working out with Shmitty, or studying tape, or whatever else he's supposed to be doin')

RedstickSooner
3/30/2006, 12:40 PM
Oh, but one other thing -- our last NC was won with a JUCO QB. So, like, there is that wicked awesome symmetry 'n stuff.

Halzle isn't a coach's son, is he? :D

mrowl
3/30/2006, 12:51 PM
So... Short story is, I'm not terribly thrilled with the idea of putting pressure on Bomar to fight for his job. (Unless he's totally slacking with basic prep, like working out with Shmitty, or studying tape, or whatever else he's supposed to be doin')

remember Bomar has never had to fight for his job, his dad gave it to him at Grand Prairie

Octavian
3/30/2006, 12:58 PM
remember Bomar has never had to fight for his job, his dad gave it to him at Grand Prairie

you sayin RB shouldn't have started at Grand Prarie??

The Consumate Showman
3/30/2006, 01:10 PM
coach'e skids can sometimes be a strange creature. on one end of the specrtum, you have someone like Kellen Samson, and on the other, you can have a guy like Chris Speilman from the lions or the Mannings....

mrowl
3/30/2006, 01:26 PM
you sayin RB shouldn't have started at Grand Prarie??

no. Just saying that there wasn't a competition.

BTW, isn't it GREAT to be talking about OU football on the OU football board?

OUTrumpet
3/30/2006, 01:27 PM
Uh oh. If Halzle wins the QB starting nod, will Mr. Bomar curse out Stoops again?

'Play m'boy dammit!'

I would say more along the lines of Rhett tossing back a cold one in a public place...but at least then he'll be legal!

I ked I ked.

RedstickSooner
3/30/2006, 01:45 PM

Well, maybe that's one of the reasons he doesn't do well with pressure (my caveat being, I really don't *know* how he does competing for a QB job).

I just hated seeing how much worse he was at the start of last season than he had been in, say, the Army All Star game. You'd think he'd be at *least* as good as in the All Star Game, a game played with players he didn't know, with only, what, a week to prepare and try to gel?

Sure, I'd like my QB to be the tough sort of sumgun who thrives in an environment where he has to fight for his starting job... But if Bomar ain't that dude, I'd rather the coaches didn't throw the competition at him anyhow out of sheer cussedness ;)

I mean, after all, we *know* Bomar is tough as hell. Boy took some incredible hits all season, and bounced back from every single one of 'em. He just might be one of those people who can't get his head straight once doubt enters into it -- and if the coaches don't have him as the clear, undisputed, no-questions-asked starter, then I could see that getting to him some.

Just wanted to raise this bizarre viewpoint, is all. It's not something I'm terribly worried about. I'm sure it'll work out in the end :)

eastxsooner
3/30/2006, 01:46 PM
I have one question... How many top rated national HS quarterback recruits have made good college quarterbacks? Not many... it seems to me that Bomar could have a Chrissy Sims type of a career. I just think it gets in their head and the pressure to produce like a "top recruit" is sometimes unbearable. They may indeed turn into good pros but college is a different cookie with the passion, parents and remember they are still kids. Just a thought.

eastxsooner
3/30/2006, 01:51 PM
Pressure?????? do ya'll really worry about the pressure Stoops may put on him with a quarterback competition? Please... That is exactly what Rhett needs until he proves he CAN handle it. Do you think any quarterback who caves in to pressure in a "healthy" positional competition can actually win a big game for you? I mean big as in MNC.....Baby steps folks.... baby steps.

sanantoniosooner
3/30/2006, 01:51 PM
With all this pressure, Rhett would probably like a cold one.

Sooner47
3/30/2006, 01:57 PM
Get real folks. Halzle is Stoops' boot against Bomar's backside. The competition will drive Bomar to be a better QB and Halzle will be his backup. But it does look like he'll be a very capable backup.

william_brasky
3/30/2006, 02:03 PM
With all this pressure, Rhett would probably like a cold one.

Me too. :eddie:

Crimson Kid
3/30/2006, 02:21 PM
I think it's great we have a qb that can push bomar to be better, and i think he can and will be alot better then he has shown, now that there some pressure on him to do better or lose his starting position.

MojoRisen
3/30/2006, 02:30 PM
If Bomar keeps throwing 52% in practice and getting picked and Hazle is throwing 75% and touchdowns- hey

Competition is good- now Bomar is getting most of the Snaps and Hazle is sharp becuase he is only get so many.. plus he may not be playing 1-vs 2s

probably 2s vs 2s...

sooneron
3/30/2006, 02:32 PM
I like knowing that someone that appears capable is waiting in the wings.

OUGreg723
3/30/2006, 02:32 PM
It's just crazy that Halzle is THIS GOOD in only a week. Only good things will come from this.

BOOMER!

JohnnyMack
3/30/2006, 02:33 PM
I want the best player under center.

Check your ego at the door.

sooneron
3/30/2006, 02:36 PM
It was apparent at the Holiday Bowl that RB still had a lot of growing up to do- see his celebration penalty that happened at the end of the game. He gets busted for boozing it up in public, thus showing that he ins't making much headway. I think the pressure/competition will be good.

MikeInNorman
3/30/2006, 02:43 PM
Make no mistake, Halzle WILL play this year, probably more than you think. If Bomar keeps getting lit up like Nate Hybl on every hit, it doesn't matter how tough he is, he will get hurt. Heupel is going to have to convince this kid that sometimes discretion is the better part of valor.

OUGreg723
3/30/2006, 02:50 PM
If you can't handle the heat, get out of the kitchen. I'll be 100% for whoever starts. BOOMER.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
3/30/2006, 03:01 PM
Competition is good- now Bomar is getting most of the Snaps and Hazle is sharp becuase he is only get so many.. plus he may not be playing 1-vs 2s

probably 2s vs 2s...

your logic doesn't fit reality. the less reps you get, the less sharp you are.

as for 2 vs 2's - jason white looked liked crap in that situation...

MojoRisen
3/30/2006, 03:06 PM
your logic doesn't fit reality. the less reps you get, the less sharp you are.

as for 2 vs 2's - jason white looked liked crap in that situation...

I will give you the logic, If you know what is going on and are paying attention when you get in there you better perform.

Hazle is getting less snaps and is sharper so- does that mean he is better?

Sounds like they are keeping things simple right now- if Hazel is throwing agains 2nd team DB's and our 2nd string Wide outs- are fighting for starting jobs- he may have an advantage.

william_brasky
3/30/2006, 03:25 PM
fellahs, all Stoops said is that Halzle is playing well.

Simmah down nah.

MojoRisen
3/30/2006, 03:44 PM
I am cool! JKM is all over me- hey I know Rivals said that Bomar threw an Oskie in the Red zone- Hazle came in and threw two touch downs.

Peace- it is all good news!

MamaMia
3/30/2006, 03:48 PM
You think Stoops is just trying to fire up Bomar? Letting him know it isn't his job, it is up for grabs? If Bomar keeps the job is he on a short leash like Paul was lat year or is he "the man" with Joey only doing mop up and if needed for injury?Stoops has never struck me as a mind game kind of guy. Hes just telling it like it is.

sanantoniosooner
3/30/2006, 03:50 PM
Stoops has never struck me as a mind game kind of guy. Hes just telling it like it is.
I think Stoops plays 'in your face' mind games.

Mack knows that you know that he knows that you know that he knows that you know he forgot.

william_brasky
3/30/2006, 03:56 PM
Stoops has never struck me as a mind game kind of guy. Hes just telling it like it is.

My thoughts exactly.

sanantoniosooner
3/30/2006, 03:59 PM
My thoughts exactly.
When Nate was throwing INTs right and left, Stoops got in his face and said keep throwing the ball.

That is in your face, but still psychological ploy to get a result

When Chrissy threw INTs Mack made him take a knee to protect his psyche.

Again, a mind game, but sneaky and ineffective.

picasso
3/30/2006, 04:12 PM
If ol' Rhett doesn't figure it out soon and start competing, he'll lose his job. Wouldn't be the first time we started a JUCO QB.
huh?

CtheB
3/30/2006, 04:41 PM
As has been said many times, I do believe there is something more to what Stoops' is saying. Rarely has really gone over the top when talking about a player that has only been in pads for a week (AD exception?). One thing is for sure, it appears that the staff wants to start the guy that has the 'total package' (bad cliche), and to me that means on and off the field. I don't necessarily think that Halzle will take the job in the spring or fall, but it does appear that they have plans to get this kid in a position both mentally and physically to go and provide some solid competition for Bomar.

That only makes things better for us.

eastxsooner
3/30/2006, 04:41 PM
Typically the state of Texas, of which i am a resident, doesn't produce good or great college or pro quarterbacks. Looking back since Slingin Sammy Baugh being the exception, only Ty Detmer, Drew Brees and ??? maybe there is more but vastly less than there should be. Both of these guys were coaches sons who understood the game.. oh yeah.. Drew Tate of Iowa now is also. They are all overachievers. Texas seems to plant something in a young mans mind at an early age to play the game of football with reckless abandon and good things will happen for the most part. There are definately loads of defensive players as well as dynamic offensive players year in and year out. But if I were to recruit a quarterback, i may start in California or western PA. They seem to have the pedigree. The calm surfer mentality, reference to Joe Montana & Tom Brady, seem to both have that clever non-athletic look but their results are unmistakeable. IMO

mrowl
3/30/2006, 04:48 PM
Typically the state of Texas, of which i am a resident, doesn't produce good or great college or pro quarterbacks. Looking back since Slingin Sammy Baugh being the exception, only Ty Detmer, Drew Brees and ??? maybe there is more but vastly less than there should be. Both of these guys were coaches sons who understood the game.. oh yeah.. Drew Tate of Iowa now is also. They are all overachievers. Texas seems to plant something in a young mans mind at an early age to play the game of football with reckless abandon and good things will happen for the most part. There are definately loads of defensive players as well as dynamic offensive players year in and year out. But if I were to recruit a quarterback, i may start in California or western PA. They seem to have the pedigree. The calm surfer mentality, reference to Joe Montana & Tom Brady, seem to both have that clever non-athletic look but their results are unmistakeable. IMO

I am not going to go there with the name I am thinking of... I suggest you just go back and start over. :confused:

picasso
3/30/2006, 04:49 PM
Stoops once said Brandon Jones was the best wide receiver he's ever seen. that was Jones' first fall practice.
let's just not get too far ahead of ourselves. it's friggin spring practice.

jccouger
3/30/2006, 05:03 PM
I dont see where what Rhett did last year would warrent him a lock on the starting spot. He certainetly didnt blow me away.

I want the best QB out there, and if Halzle has impressed this much this quick then he could very well be the best QB.

TJKDone
3/30/2006, 05:31 PM

Spurrier Jr. anyone...

Hook'em

BASSooner
3/30/2006, 05:33 PM
Spurrier Jr. anyone...

Hook'em
Nah. I'll keep Stoops thank you.

sanantoniosooner
3/30/2006, 05:54 PM
Spurrier Jr. anyone...

Hook'em
Mack's head game = used car salesman.

I'd take Spurrier Jr. anyday.

NickZeppelin
3/30/2006, 06:08 PM
There's no doubt about it Joey is our next great QB!!!!

Think about it Rhett Bomar's name's don't start with a J or H like our first QBs.:D

picasso
3/30/2006, 06:20 PM
There's no doubt about it Joey is our next great QB!!!!

Think about it Rhett Bomar's name's don't start with a J or H like our first QBs.:D
based on what exactly?

sanantoniosooner
3/30/2006, 06:21 PM
based on what exactly?
shhhhhhhh.......

we're getting to the source of Nick's logic..........

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
3/30/2006, 06:23 PM
I am cool! JKM is all over me- hey I know Rivals said that Bomar threw an Oskie in the Red zone- Hazle came in and threw two touch downs.

Peace- it is all good news!

i'm not trying to be all over you, i'm just not agreeing with your point of view. i'm not approaching this from a "i hate/love bomar/halzle" point of view. i'm approaching this from a eh, its spring practice what are you going to learn, point of view.

I will give you the logic, If you know what is going on and are paying attention when you get in there you better perform.

its one thing to watch, its quite another to actually do it. if watching were enough, just send them game film and expect them to be as good as they are going to get when they step onto the practice field. reality is that QBs need thousands of reps of practice to get timing and reads down. the fact that halzle is able to perform at a high level with fewer reps than bomar speaks higher of him, not lower.

Hazle is getting less snaps and is sharper so- does that mean he is better?

this is an odd question as it depends on your definition of better. we as fans during spring practice don't get the liberty of seeing if the system stays reasonably constant to determine efficacy. thus most opinions are based on looking at the black box and guessing whats inside.

Sounds like they are keeping things simple right now- if Hazel is throwing agains 2nd team DB's and our 2nd string Wide outs- are fighting for starting jobs- he may have an advantage.

if it were 7 on 7, my guess is its a push. walkon WRs versus some scholarship and walkon DBs is at best a crapshoot as to who has the advantage. if its 11 on 11, then its walkon OL vs scholarship DL (like granger) which is definitely a huge plus for him. this is the situation where white threw pick after pick. what would definitely be a contrarian point is if he were running 1 O vs 2 D.

MojoRisen
3/30/2006, 06:40 PM
;) JKM,

Some QB's are capable of watching reading and getting in and executing simple plays. I indeed think it says a lot that Hazle is sharper from a completion percentage- with about 60% less reps so far- I think you just mis-understood me- the 1000s of reps thing yeah your right but not if someone is a gammer man- Josh was. I think his intelligence level is pretty high- if they are taking away option 1 & 2 and Hazel is hitting the 3rd they are saying he knows where to go with the ball.

Don't think people have not been beat out by people who got less reps- you say it like a fact that you have to have it to be sharp- Yes and no- Hazel played college last year- not D1 but college non the less.

He is also having to make the most of his opportunity-

NickZeppelin
3/30/2006, 07:25 PM
based on what exactly?

Based on the fact that I was joking.

sanantoniosooner
3/30/2006, 07:27 PM
Based on the fact that I was joking.
to be fair.........all your posts sound like jokes.

recemp
3/30/2006, 07:30 PM
I look at RB and I keep thinking Jeff Smoker.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
3/30/2006, 08:05 PM
;) JKM,

Some QB's are capable of watching reading and getting in and executing simple plays. I indeed think it says a lot that Hazle is sharper from a completion percentage- with about 60% less reps so far- I think you just mis-understood me- the 1000s of reps thing yeah your right but not if someone is a gammer man- Josh was. I think his intelligence level is pretty high- if they are taking away option 1 & 2 and Hazel is hitting the 3rd they are saying he knows where to go with the ball. -

its a point of view thing with a passing offense. if you are 1 degree off, the angle is totally different. if all factors are constant, the fact that he is watching bomar and then doing it better than bomar tells a lot.

everyone likes to bring up josh as an example, but personally, i don't think he was sharp his junior year. he had 15 INTs and in the second half of games just disappeared (insert lack of run game here). his senior year he was sharp as crap - after 2 springs, 2 summers (which are incredibly important), and 1 fall.

if halzle is already on his 3rd option than he is at least a year ahead of bomar. at the beginning of last season, bomar didn't even know where his first read was going to be about 1/2 the time. at the end of the season, he had his presnaps and his first reads down pretty well. moving to his second receiver wasn't even in the picture.

Don't think people have not been beat out by people who got less reps- you say it like a fact that you have to have it to be sharp- Yes and no- Hazel played college last year- not D1 but college non the less.

i'm not saying he is going to beat him out. in order for that to happen, halzle has to consistently put the ball in the end zone. even if he is a little riskier, if he shows that he can create more offensive upside, stoops will get antsy with the hook. historically, they've started the season with the safest QB and then moved to the one that will put points on the board.

LosAngelesSooner
3/30/2006, 08:06 PM
I look at it this way:

RB = Higher expectations, more plays to execute, playing against the #1 D...doing okay. We want him to win the HEISMAN and another NC...so he'd better step it up a few notches. He's also following JW at QB...so he's got a lot to live up to. JH and BS are TOUGH coaches...they want our #1 QB to FREAKIN' ROCK!

JH = NO expectations. Worried he might suck and we'd have to pull PT back from WR. Didn't look that big either. Came in...didn't suck...in fact...played pretty derned decent against the #2 D and with a limited package of the O. Seems pretty bright. Not making boneheaded NEW PLAYER mistakes. WOW...he's gonna be just fine as our backup! PHEW! That's a load off our minds!

Bobby Stoops comes out and says..."Hey...this JH kid is pretty derned good! We were worried about that position, but we're not anymore. He's solid...doing great FOR BEING 5 DAYS IN THE PROGRAM."

Folks...you're jumping the gun a bit in proclaiming JH our savior. RB is our man, come hell or high water. JH has just given us insurance and a viable option should all hell break loose.

Just my .02

shavedmarmoset
3/30/2006, 08:55 PM
I look at RB and I keep thinking Jeff Smoker.

In what way? In that consistent tough quarterback kind of way or that bonehead got suspended for illegal substance kind of way?

Im afraid of the answer.

NickZeppelin
3/30/2006, 09:12 PM
There was a QB that looked horrible in the spring in 1999 that I seem to remember. He didn't end up sucking.

sanantoniosooner
3/30/2006, 09:45 PM
I looked pretty bad shooting hoops the other day.

Maybe I could save to basketball team.

westcoast_sooner
3/30/2006, 09:50 PM
JKM makes a great point about the development of both these guys. If Halzle is way ahead of Bomar, that is great news. Sounds like he is working his tail off to compete, and trying to make the most of his opportunity to play at the D1 level. Will Halzle take the starting job? Who knows. IT'S WAY TOO SOON TO TELL. Let's see how Bomar comes along over the next few weeks and in the fall.

sanantoniosooner
3/30/2006, 09:56 PM
yeah, but if we've learned anything from this thread, it's that you should suck, and then play awesome.

playing awesome now is just wrong.

goingoneight
3/30/2006, 10:45 PM
Spurrier Jr. anyone...

Hook'em

Sure, Bob will take him back...
How much for Chizik?

NickZeppelin
3/30/2006, 10:56 PM
Has our starting QB ever been better then our backup QB?

MikeInNorman
3/30/2006, 10:57 PM
his senior year he was sharp as crap - after 2 springs, 2 summers (which are incredibly important), and 1 fall.

He sure learned a lot about quarterbacking before his senior year. Wonder how.......

picasso
3/30/2006, 11:07 PM
looks like some are denying the progress that RB made throughout the year.
I thought he finished pretty strong myself.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
3/30/2006, 11:34 PM
looks like some are denying the progress that RB made throughout the year.
I thought he finished pretty strong myself.

it depends upon how you look at it. if you go from his starting point to his ending point you say "wow, he improved a lot". however, if you look at his starting point (coaches not even trusting him to throw a pass) to his ending point (i can read presnap and throw to my primary) and then compare them with the expectations one would have of an OU football team, that is where you become concerned.

for peterson to reach maximum effectiveness, we have to push the defense back. are you confident he can hit a deep post? he hit two seam routes last year to manuel johnson (one he held onto) against pokey state, but did he hit any more notable deep balls than that?

shavedmarmoset
3/30/2006, 11:41 PM
are you confident he can hit a deep post? he hit two seam routes last year to manuel johnson (one he held onto) against pokey state, but did he hit any more notable deep balls than that?

winning pass against baylor?

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
3/31/2006, 12:02 AM
winning pass against baylor?

would you consider that a "deep post"?

okienole3
3/31/2006, 12:11 AM

Actually, a good point Nick. But, still no spek.

RacerX
3/31/2006, 12:14 AM
RB still forcing passes in the Holiday Bowl.

It was like reads be damned, I know who I'm throwing it to.

picasso
3/31/2006, 12:21 AM
I've thought the same about the deep ball.
I'm not ready to give up on the boy though.

westcoast_sooner
3/31/2006, 12:28 AM
RB made huge strides last year. But, he needs to show more maturity both on and off the field. He played so well the last half of the season, and really showed a lot of desire. He sometimes took unnecessary hits, took reckless chances. He showed a lot of toughness. I don't think he's going to give up the job easily, even if Halzle is making him look bad so far this spring.

I have asked this before. Does Stoops give a guy who hasn't played a single down of D1 ball the start, or does he go with a known commodity? I think either way, the team benefits with two quality QBs.

sanantoniosooner
3/31/2006, 12:30 AM
If last year is an indicator, Halzle would have to significantly distinguish himself to get the start, otherwise Stoops will side with loyalty to experience.

No doubt he will get a chance.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
3/31/2006, 12:32 AM
I've thought the same about the deep ball.
I'm not ready to give up on the boy though.

eh, its offseason. this is the first salvo of topics and i'd like to keep it at least mildly interesting...

LosAngelesSooner
3/31/2006, 12:48 AM
Halzle isn't making Rhett look BAD. Halzle simply is NOT making HIMSELF look bad...which, considering he's only been in the offense for 5 days...warrants a Stoops "awesome" comment.

You guys are not only reading too much into a few comments, you're also putting words into Stoops' mouth.

yermom
3/31/2006, 12:59 AM
they seem to be talking up Patrick as well, it seems he's getting more snaps than AD, maybe he'll be starting too

Octavian
3/31/2006, 01:04 AM
AP over AD....without a doubt

Desert Sapper
3/31/2006, 03:08 AM
While we're at it, why not give Lamont Robinson the job over Ruuufus? I heard Lamont was AWESOME...and Stoops was impressed. It must mean he wants to pull Ruu for the unproven guy. Because Stoops likes to replace proven starters with new guys. It's his MO.

The VIIIth
3/31/2006, 08:20 AM

Exactly what I thought, good call.

MojoRisen
3/31/2006, 09:05 AM
More like, Should Clayton get the nod over Nic Harris... or side with experience in Jason Carter-

Either you make the plays and reads on Defense or you don't -

BASSooner
3/31/2006, 10:14 AM
oh great we have the pro-Bomars and the pro-Halzles....

NickZeppelin
3/31/2006, 10:20 AM
Bomar has never been an accurate passer atleast from everything I've seen and read. And he's average decision maker on the field. Yet he was the best QB last year and is probably better then a QB that has probably faced the 2nd team defense all spring. And our defense last year wasn't deep at all. I doubt the backups on D are much better then they were last year.

Could Halzle be a good backup QB? Yes. He may even start if Bomar leaves after his Jr year. But is he better then Bomar right now? Hell no!

BASSooner
3/31/2006, 10:30 AM
Now you guys have to remember that coming into the year we were VERY disorganized on who was the starting QB. Thompson turned out to be a HUGE bust and Bomar came in with no preparation resulting in a sucky 1st half of the season. At the end, we did well and he will get better. He does have some off-the-field problems from alcohol. I'm glad we got Halzle. He's there to make sure that Bomar doesn't slack and that it isn't just a walk in the park. Scary thing too is Halzle doing great. Now I know it's only been about 5 practices. Personally, I could care less who starts. I just want the better man to step up and take the job but that's up to Wilson, Heupel, and Stoops for that manner, not us.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
3/31/2006, 10:36 AM
Josh Heupel
Joey Halzle

Coincidence? I think not.

picasso
3/31/2006, 10:39 AM
Bomar has never been an accurate passer atleast from everything I've seen and read. And he's average decision maker on the field. Yet he was the best QB last year and is probably better then a QB that has probably faced the 2nd team defense all spring. And our defense last year wasn't deep at all. I doubt the backups on D are much better then they were last year.

Could Halzle be a good backup QB? Yes. He may even start if Bomar leaves after his Jr year. But is he better then Bomar right now? Hell no!
so you say Bomar isn't accurate and makes bad reads yet he may be gone to the NFL after his junior season?:confused:
dude, Bomar can thread a needle. his passes hit their mark, problem is sometimes it's to the wrong mark.

NickZeppelin
3/31/2006, 10:44 AM
I think most of his inaccurate passes are do to not being able to read well. He's not that smart of a QB yet. But he'll probably get better. I don't know if he'll get better by this year but he won't lose his job to Halzle.

MojoRisen
3/31/2006, 10:45 AM
You guys remember Stanley Jackson and Joe Germain

NickZeppelin
3/31/2006, 10:51 AM
Josh Heupel
Joey Halzle

Coincidence? I think not.
How about this

Josh Heupel
Nate Hybl
Jason White
Joey Halzle

Where the hell does Rhett Bomar fit in there? No J nor an H to start the name. Very convincing argument. :D

BASSooner
3/31/2006, 10:51 AM
The thing that is impressing the coaches about Halzle is that he is making perfect execution. Now for me, I'm for that. I don't care how good or bad a QB is, small, tall, fast, slow I really do not care. If he can execute the plays I'd say put him in. I'm not judging Bomar because he has plenty of time to do that. This is going to be very interesting.

picasso
3/31/2006, 10:54 AM
amazing.

people are sporting wood for a player they haven't even seen play and who hasn't seen a down of live game action.

CO anybody?

BASSooner
3/31/2006, 10:57 AM
People were doing the exact same thing to bomar last year. What's your point?

picasso
3/31/2006, 11:04 AM
People were doing the exact same thing to bomar last year. What's your point?
they were? I read much talk about PT on many a board also.
I also mentioned CO and Brandon Jones. Brandon got tons of practice praise.
I also thought Nate Hybl looked better than JW in '01 practice.

my point is we've had a few days of spring practice and some of you guys think Halzle has hung the moon. hope you're right.

BASSooner
3/31/2006, 11:09 AM
they were? I read much talk about PT on many a board also.
I also mentioned CO and Brandon Jones. Brandon got tons of practice praise.
I also thought Nate Hybl looked better than JW in '01 practice.

my point is we've had a few days of spring practice and some of you guys think Halzle has hung the moon. hope you're right.
I know. We had our pro-bomars and our pro-PTs But a lot of people were praising Bomar that he was going to be great. As for me I'm not really taking any of the QBs' sides. I think they both have potential. Like I said before, the better man will start the job. We'll see what Stoops, Heupel, and Wilson want to do.

MojoRisen
3/31/2006, 11:14 AM
We are 2 deep at QB they will push each other- and whom ever starts "Bomar" likely but whom ever starts is going to be better than they would have been.

The sucky thing about it is for Hazle the better he plays the more likely he gets redshirted.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
3/31/2006, 11:31 AM
amazing.

people are sporting wood for a player they haven't even seen play and who hasn't seen a down of live game action.

CO anybody?

i'd classify myself as more anti-offseason than anything else...

Scott D
3/31/2006, 11:50 AM
lol pic, you knew there had to be a Halzle camp v. a Bomar camp at some point....I like to think that 85Sooner is off to the side laughing from the lonely Thompson camp ;)

Desert Sapper
3/31/2006, 11:57 AM
If the competition makes us better, I am definitely for it. If it totally f***s us up like last season, I am not. I'll be happy if one of them is ready to rock for the UAB game. And I'm not talking about nearly ready, but like 6 TDs ready. If we don't stomp a mudhole in Mack's bro, I'm going to be p***ed.

IronSooner
3/31/2006, 12:20 PM
Not like we have anything else to do at the moment than hype players who haven't played. Has all the practicality of an All Preseason team, but it's something to do.

MojoRisen
3/31/2006, 12:42 PM

Ask Texas when Nate started the game and White Finished it!

LosAngelesSooner
3/31/2006, 01:42 PM
I think most of his inaccurate passes are do to not being able to read well. He's not that smart of a QB yet. But he'll probably get better. I don't know if he'll get better by this year but he won't lose his job to Halzle.

DUE

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
3/31/2006, 01:57 PM
i was thinking RIF

Rock Hard Corn Frog
3/31/2006, 02:46 PM
amazing.

CO anybody?

Exactly.

Spring ball is important of course but even :mack: hasn't come up with a national championship or Heisman Trophy for spring ball. I don't see how Halzle, or McEachern for that matter playing well is anything but a good thing but the job is still Bomar's to lose.

The #1 thing I always hope to hear coming out of Spring ball is that no one tore their ACL and occaisionally I'll see/hear of Dukezilla getting into top shape and that gets me jacked. Otherwise the starting job(s) are ultimately settled in fall practice and the game.

Maybe I'm in the minority but I think Bomar is going to have a monster year.

MojoRisen
3/31/2006, 02:48 PM
Bomar should have a monster year- He needs to improve on last year though and have a lot of games like the OK state game and I would call that Monster if he did it all year long.

LosAngelesSooner
3/31/2006, 03:28 PM
Speaking of getting in shape...I can't wait for the "soon to come" shots of Roark MINUS the huge overhang belly.

That kid's our next Duke, as far as Schmitty is concerned.

jccouger
4/1/2006, 04:52 PM
Halzle 6-17-58, 4 INT, 1 TD

Yikes.

OUGreg723
4/1/2006, 04:56 PM
Oh snap. Well atleast our defense rules. And hey, I like us making the mistakes now. It's only Halzle's second scrimmage. Give him time. He'll do better. No biggie.

william_brasky
4/1/2006, 05:37 PM
Halzle 6-17-58, 4 INT, 1 TD

Yikes.

ouch.

Isn't that just like life. You get up, you're on top of the world, then BLAMMY!, you get your teeth kicked in.

We'll have to see how he responds to this. This'll be a good learning experience for the guy.

What were Bomar's numbers?

1991SOONER
4/1/2006, 10:27 PM
I wouldn't be suprised to see Halze starting by the OU - UT game. He will get played during the openers and probably move the ball better than Bomar. Lets face it, Bomar may have been a tad overated by the recruiters. He just doesn't impress me that much.

BASSooner
4/1/2006, 10:35 PM
If Bomar can't execute plays, he won't start. Same goes for Halzle.

yermom
4/1/2006, 10:49 PM
ouch.

Isn't that just like life. You get up, you're on top of the world, then BLAMMY!, you get your teeth kicked in.

We'll have to see how he responds to this. This'll be a good learning experience for the guy.

What were Bomar's numbers?

he ran well... i didn't see numbers... the player that stood out the most to me was Joe Jon

MojoRisen
4/1/2006, 10:57 PM
Well- I wouldn't expect a whole lot going against maybe the best defense in the country... Sounds like Stoops just said go get em so he could figure out how much we need to improve and a status quo for the rest of the practices left...

Our team is sick on D- if we got Lendy Holmes and Smith getting oskies for touchdowns and the safties playing 2 deep with everyone getting off- could be alot like Thatcher and the guys in 2000..

Our Dline/ends and Linebackers are nasty- we should be at minimum a top 5 D..

Poor Hazel/Bomar and the OU line- until Fall- Couldn't think of a better unit to get practice against all year...

BASSooner
4/1/2006, 11:03 PM
If Smith can be like Strait and our free safety can be like Thatcher, the defense will dominate the big 12, no question there

NickZeppelin
4/2/2006, 10:32 AM
If Bomar can't execute plays, he won't start. Same goes for Halzle.

So you are telling me a true freshman in Bradford or a walk-on will start?

NickZeppelin
4/2/2006, 10:33 AM
If Smith can be like Strait and our free safety can be like Thatcher, the defense will dominate the big 12, no question there

When did Thatcher ever dominate? The guy was a good return man but he was lucky to be in a great defensive backfield. Everage as a freshman was better then Thatcher.

MojoRisen
4/2/2006, 10:51 AM
If you have to manufacture touchdowns on DFense- You may have more appreciation for a guy like Thatcher.

BASSooner
4/2/2006, 11:55 AM
That is exactly my point

BASSooner
4/2/2006, 11:56 AM
So you are telling me a true freshman in Bradford or a walk-on will start?
No I say it that it applies to Bomar and Halzle because obviously Bradford and the walk-on won't start....

CtheB
4/3/2006, 07:53 AM
I don't think there is any question that Bomar is the man. Just saying that Stoops' praise of Halzle, in my humble opinion, is nothing more than an attempt to keep competition strong and Bomar sharp.

In fact, PreemaDeena, who speaks pure gold, even said last night that Bradford would get a more than fair shot at being the backup. And if Deana says it, then it shall be written. :)

picasso
4/3/2006, 09:19 AM
I'm certainly glad you guys aren't coaching.

william_brasky
4/3/2006, 09:33 AM
I'm certainly glad you guys aren't coaching.

certainly

oumartin
4/3/2006, 09:47 AM
thatcher wasn't the greatest cover guy and he was outta position but if he did pick a pass it was going for 6!

Desert Sapper
4/3/2006, 09:53 AM
thatcher wasn't the greatest cover guy and he was outta position but if he did pick a pass it was going for 6!

I'm hoping that's the Thatcheresque quality that Reggie inherits. Pick 6 was always a good thing to have happen. Feels like its been wayyy too long.

MojoRisen
4/3/2006, 10:00 AM
Wolf & Smith and Holmes can take it to the house. It would be good to move from bend but don't break to total domination and intimidation!

Nic Harris and Keenon Clayton apperantly can bring the boom- Carter and Williams for experience in pass coverage- we should have a solid secondary-

with Walker and Jackson spelling the corners as well- that is pretty deep secondary if you ask me.

Soonerwake
4/3/2006, 01:45 PM

Speaking of Mr. Thatcher, has anyone seen him lately. I hear he is up around 300 right now. Apparently he stopped runnin' and kept on eatin'. :D

Oh yeah, the defense will be scary good this year and Bomar will start. Just sayin'...

oumartin
4/3/2006, 01:47 PM
I'll only remember J.T. in a positive light.

Soonerman08
4/3/2006, 02:05 PM
Looks like Bobby Jack Wright is getting our secondary back!!! Hopefully he keeps up the good work. I saw a lot of Mike Stoops qualities in him. Really tough on technique, and always riding the guys to keep their heads on their shoulders. Seems like when Bo Pelini came in and left, he took out our aggressiveness.

critical_phil
8/13/2007, 10:44 PM
I agree 100% and I am glad to see it. RB seems to have a little arrogance that he can't lose the job. I doubt he could lose it unless he gets another MIP, but it is nice to remind him this isn't a given.

heh

goingoneight
8/13/2007, 10:58 PM
Well, he didn't get another MIP. :O

Seamus
8/14/2007, 04:01 AM
Damn, I'm almost to the point where I can laugh about that :cool:

mikeb
8/14/2007, 11:19 AM
All in all people really did not ever have anything good to say about bomar.

goingoneight
8/14/2007, 09:14 PM
No, but they sure as hell ribbed us when we said we might need Halzle eventually.