PDA

View Full Version : Theory on why Kelvin left OU...

Soonerus
3/29/2006, 10:58 PM
...he felt NCAA sanctions would be minimal on OU if he were gone...

jdsooner
3/29/2006, 11:50 PM
He wanted to **** off Bobby Knight!

Jimminy Crimson
3/29/2006, 11:53 PM
He always dreamed of going to Clown College and joining the circus, but realized IU's warm-up pants were the closest he was going to get? :confused:

Frozen Sooner
3/29/2006, 11:55 PM
We've got a kid who's committed to us playing in the McD's AA game but the game thread only has like three people posting in it?

proudsoonergal
3/29/2006, 11:58 PM
......the SF basketball thread is not at the top of the forum list, and has to share space with the women's basketball team.

Jimminy Crimson
3/30/2006, 12:03 AM
We've got a kid who's committed to us playing in the McD's AA game but the game thread only has like three people posting in it?

I didn't know it was the official game thread. ;)

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
3/30/2006, 12:31 AM
We've got a kid who's committed to us playing in the McD's AA game but the game thread only has like three people posting in it?Hard to be overly excited about OU men's basketball right now. I don't feel so confident he will be here next yr., at least until we have a coach.

suncoastsooner7
3/30/2006, 01:23 AM

What are the chances of the kid making it to campus now though? There is a real question mark up concerning this class now.

BarryBnds
3/30/2006, 01:37 AM

I'm sure that with 3 national titles and the all time wins record in mens basketball looming that Bob couldn't give two sh*ts about Kelvin.

sanantoniosooner
3/30/2006, 01:40 AM
I'm sure that with 3 national titles and the all time wins record in mens basketball looming that Bob couldn't give two sh*ts about Kelvin.
BWAHAHAHAHAAAAA.........uh..heh.......uhhhh

my bad.........that wasn't funny at all.

I just assumed that a joke would have been replied to with another joke.

Frozen Sooner
3/30/2006, 01:43 AM
What are the chances of the kid making it to campus now though? There is a real question mark up concerning this class now.

Fairly good. The main announcer on the game said he had spoken with Scottie and while he was understandably upset, he remained committed to OU pending the hire of a new coach.

I got the impression that Scottie was more ****ed at Sampson than anything else.

SOONER44EVER
3/30/2006, 04:26 AM
More money, better arena, better fans, basketball school, better recruiting area. I'd have left too.

GDC
3/30/2006, 08:46 AM
From today's Tulsa World:

Sampson took over one of America's most prestigious basketball schools Wednesday and promised to keep Indiana's tradition intact by doing three things: graduating players, running a clean program and winning titles.

Why couldn't he do those three things at OU?

oumartin
3/30/2006, 08:50 AM
he couldn't do that at OU cuz he was coaching at a football school. geeze. ;)

can't blame the guy for going to indiana. where he can be in the limelight and not in Bob Stoops and now Sherri Coales shadow. Nothing like having an ego and being the 3rd most popular coach on campus. and maybe even 4th. Patti Gasso has won a national title you know

Harry Beanbag
3/30/2006, 08:52 AM

Because there were too many Kelvin bashers, silly.

The Ensuing Kickoff
3/30/2006, 08:59 AM
More money, better arena, better fans, basketball school, better recruiting area. I'd have left too.

Better arena? Um, no. Read Seth Davis' article on cnnsi.com. He makes the point that OU's facilities for men's basketball are miles ahead of IU's, and that IU will never catch up because IU does not have the fountain of football money that OU has to fuel the athletic program in general.

You're right about the other four, though.

The Ensuing Kickoff
3/30/2006, 09:01 AM
I'll give you the quote through the wonders of cut and paste:
---------------------------
Indiana is also woefully behind its Big Ten counterparts when it comes to facilities. The school has relied too long on its proud tradition, but that won't cut it anymore. If Sampson's new bosses want to see what a big-time program looks like, he should take them on a tour of the one he left behind in Norman -- fueled financially by football success Indiana will never know. The poor facilities at Indiana are a big reason why a lot of other coaches showed no interest in the job. I think it's safe to assume this topic came up during conversations with Sampson before he accepted the position.

---------------------------

NickZeppelin
3/30/2006, 09:06 AM
He went to a better job.

oumartin
3/30/2006, 09:12 AM
i think u should follow him nick

chriscappel
3/30/2006, 09:14 AM
He liked their uniforms!! (especially football) :D

Partial Qualifier
3/30/2006, 09:34 AM

My first reaction was that Knight would be ****ed and bitter.
But now I'm thinking Knight is LOL at Kelvin. Knight created the monster at IU and now Kelvin is an unpopular choice to be the next monster-feeder.. Kelvin's honeymoon at IU was over even before the press conference. Knight's probably chuckled at least a little bit over this deal.

RacerX
3/30/2006, 09:35 AM
From today's Tulsa World:

1. Weed

2. The Internet

RacerX
3/30/2006, 09:36 AM
Kelvin left because he fell from #2 to #3 on Joe's speed dial.

Crimsontothecore
3/30/2006, 09:38 AM
Not to mention the fact that Wrangler is opening a clothing plant just outside Bloomington and Kelvin knows he will be able to buy his denim shirts factory direct.

Partial Qualifier
3/30/2006, 09:41 AM
Oh and I haven't seen this mentioned much: addressing the NCAA investigation, Boren & Castiglione's proactive "self punishment" included some severe cutbacks in Kelvin's paycheck. I can't remember all the details but it was significant.

Maybe that was their way of saying "if you bring NCAA problems to the university, basically you can assume all the blame publically & financially, or hit the highway"

RacerX
3/30/2006, 09:43 AM
Maybe that was their way of saying "if you bring NCAA problems to the university, basically you can assume all the blame publically & financially, or hit the highway"

Good for them.

PrideTrombone
3/30/2006, 11:45 AM
Better arena? Um, no. Read Seth Davis' article on cnnsi.com. He makes the point that OU's facilities for men's basketball are miles ahead of IU's, and that IU will never catch up because IU does not have the fountain of football money that OU has to fuel the athletic program in general.

I'm sure that OU's practice facilities are nicer, but where you you rather go to a game... Assembly Hall or the Lloyd Noble Center?

Harry Beanbag
3/30/2006, 11:53 AM
I'm sure that OU's practice facilities are nicer, but where you you rather go to a game... Assembly Hall or the Lloyd Noble Center?

LNC. I'm not much of a Hoosier fan.

;)

Norm In Norman
3/30/2006, 01:10 PM
Kelvin left because he fell from #2 to #3 on Joe's speed dial.
Stoops is the poison control button. That's even higher than number one!

Norm In Norman
3/30/2006, 01:12 PM
Wait a second ... WHICH FORUM AM I IN????

RacerX
3/30/2006, 02:02 PM
Norm made a wrong turn at Albuquerque.

What a maroon.

SOONER44EVER
3/30/2006, 02:22 PM

Indiana has a basketball arena and it IS much better than the LNC. Everyone says so. Their other facilities (practice gym, lockerroom, training room, weight room) aren't nearly as good as OU's.

Taxman71
3/30/2006, 02:29 PM
The main issue I see with KS is that he failed miserably in the public relations department at OU even though the attention was focused on him only 3 months a year (Late Dec through March). His commericals, interviews, etc. sounded forced, insincere and unwanted. Now, he will be under a microscope for 52 weeks a year, every year. Is he suddenly going to embrace the fans, administration, former players, etc.? Or do Hoosier fans just not care about that stuff (see Knight) if you are winning?

Comparing his press conference yesterday to Stoops upon his arrival was like watching a little leaguer batting against Randy Johnson. I think he continues to struggle OFF the court.

GDC
3/30/2006, 02:52 PM
He definitely wasn't much in the way of personality.

OUstud
3/30/2006, 05:00 PM
The LNC<<<<<<<Assembly Hall. More seats, nicer scoreboard, more history, not made for concerts.

NickZeppelin
3/30/2006, 05:06 PM
OU's facilities outside of Assembly Hall are much better. But Assembly Hall is much better then LNC. And it's an actual baskeball arena.

BarryBnds
3/30/2006, 05:55 PM
OU's facilities outside of Assembly Hall are much better. But Assembly Hall is much better then LNC. And it's an actual baskeball arena.

Have you ever been there? Most of my in laws teach at IU and I go there every Christmas and watch either the Hoosier Classic or whatever sacrificial lamb they are playing and I can't stand assembly hall.

Soonerus
3/30/2006, 07:22 PM
Kelvin left because he was tired of playing second fiddle to Sherri Coale...

KC//CRIMSON
3/30/2006, 07:39 PM
i think u should follow him nick

post of the day!

Stoop Dawg
3/30/2006, 07:43 PM
Have you ever been there? Most of my in laws teach at IU and I go there every Christmas and watch either the Hoosier Classic or whatever sacrificial lamb they are playing and I can't stand assembly hall.

Well, that pretty much settles it. LNC is better.

stoopified
3/31/2006, 05:53 PM
Good night and good luck Kelvin.

Boffingham
3/31/2006, 09:54 PM
I think it was destiny. When i was a freshman at OU, my e'mail address was [email protected]. Wierd, huh?

BajaOklahoma
3/31/2006, 10:35 PM
I think Joe C strongly suggested that KS take another job ASAP.
If KS had stayed, I believe he would have been forced out/fired when the NCAA investigation penalties were made public - and no chance of a decent job then.
Just look at his face during the press conference. The story about the autograph. Boomer Sooner. A guy thrilled to be taking a new job makes a special effort to fit in - especially a college job.

NickZeppelin
3/31/2006, 11:02 PM
If the NCAA punishment were serious Indiana wasn't gonna hire him. Remember the NCAA's base is located in Indianapolis and the president of the NCAA is a former AD at Indiana. They know how serious the punisment would be at OU. Indiana wasn't gonna hire a guy that could have serious punishment put on Indiana as soon as he got here. Remember you can't run away from punishment anymore with the rule about punishing coaches. And these violations were against the coaching staff. There's no way Kelvin gets the Indiana job if they were coming down on him.

BajaOklahoma
3/31/2006, 11:11 PM
It's my theory and I'm sticking to it.

NickZeppelin
4/1/2006, 12:07 AM
Well it's wrong because Kelvin can't run from anything

sanantoniosooner
4/1/2006, 12:11 AM
Mark this day down in your calender folks.........

Nick disputes an opinion without the aid of a magic 8-ball.

NickZeppelin
4/1/2006, 01:39 AM
What's a magic 8 ball?

Spray
4/1/2006, 01:47 AM
If the NCAA punishment were serious Indiana wasn't gonna hire him. Remember the NCAA's base is located in Indianapolis and the president of the NCAA is a former AD at Indiana.

I haven't read the entire thread but what does this have to do with anything, Mr. Gibson? The NCAA headquarters have only recently (last decade) moved to Indy.

Crimsontothecore
4/1/2006, 09:49 AM
I think Joe C strongly suggested that KS take another job ASAP.
If KS had stayed, I believe he would have been forced out/fired when the NCAA investigation penalties were made public - and no chance of a decent job then.
Just look at his face during the press conference. The story about the autograph. Boomer Sooner. A guy thrilled to be taking a new job makes a special effort to fit in - especially a college job.
That Joe C. is a helluva guy.....forcing Sampson into a job like Indiana. We should all have bosses that nice.