PDA

View Full Version : Systemic Failures as they relate to the status of the men's basketball program

JohnnyMack
3/29/2006, 07:37 PM
A lot has been made of KS and the support he didn't receive from the OU fanbase. Some wanna blame KS's style of coaching, while others say OU just isn't a "basketball school" and that we'll never have the following some schools enjoy. All I know is that OU basketball fans succs. Before I went there, while I went there and today, OU basketball fans aren't as dedicated to the program as they deserve.

But let's look at a different reason for why OU isn't a "basketball school" and why it isn't embraced as it should be. I contend that the OU powers that be made a mistake in A) building Lloyd Noble Center where they did and B) in sinking the piles of jack into renovating it during the Campaign for Excellence.

As much as I despise LosuR, anyone who's been to a game at GIA can attest, they have us beat 7 ways to Sunday in terms of atmosphere. I wish that during the Campaign for Excellence, someone had said, "Hey, why don't we turn our fieldhouse into a loud as hell barn?" and then done it. OU's athletic department has a cash cow in Owen Field and I contend one reason for that is its proximity to campus. It's easy to walk to and from if you live on campus. It has enough parking (nowhere will be perfect) and enough tailgating/restaurant/bar traffic around to keep the locals happy.

I wish we had had the vision to turn our barn into a nice loud 9 - 11 thousand seat arena that the campus could embrace. We don't need a huge arena as the Ford Center in OKC is new, big and nice and will be getting the NCAA regionals. What OU needs is a basketball venue that has a charm, an accessibility and an atmosphere that its fans can get behind. Let's face it, Lloyd Noble sucks. It is SEVERELY lacking in atmosphere and I feel that it will continue to hinder whoever our next coach is.

GottaHavePride
3/29/2006, 08:52 PM
A-frickin'-MEN!

Stupid 1970s multi-purpose architecture fad!

OUstud
3/29/2006, 09:16 PM
Sorry in advance for the crudeness of the drawing. I didn't include the upper bowl or anything because there's not much to do with that.

http://img511.imageshack.us/img511/6136/newlloydnoble9bv.png

I say take out that risers from the north bowl on floor level and just lengthen the seats to go right next to the court. (White spraypaint=new student section and red spraypaint=band). Also, the press row that borders the tunnel could be moved to a location like where they control the sound. Speaking of, a new sound system and carpet off the walls would be great.

SoonerBBall
3/29/2006, 09:25 PM
Sorry in advance for the crudeness of the drawing. I didn't include the upper bowl or anything because there's not much to do with that.

http://img511.imageshack.us/img511/6136/newlloydnoble9bv.png

I say take out that risers from the north bowl on floor level and just lengthen the seats to go right next to the court. (White spraypaint=new student section and red spraypaint=band). Also, the press row that borders the tunnel could be moved to a location like where they control the sound. Speaking of, a new sound system and carpet off the walls would be great.

Why relegate the students to such awful seats? They are some of the loudest and best fans in the arena, and deserve much, much better then what you show in the picture.

Stoop Dawg
3/29/2006, 11:23 PM
A lot has been made of KS and the support he didn't receive from the OU fanbase. Some wanna blame KS's style of coaching, while others say OU just isn't a "basketball school" and that we'll never have the following some schools enjoy. All I know is that OU basketball fans succs. Before I went there, while I went there and today, OU basketball fans aren't as dedicated to the program as they deserve.

But let's look at a different reason for why OU isn't a "basketball school" and why it isn't embraced as it should be. I contend that the OU powers that be made a mistake in A) building Lloyd Noble Center where they did and B) in sinking the piles of jack into renovating it during the Campaign for Excellence.

As much as I despise LosuR, anyone who's been to a game at GIA can attest, they have us beat 7 ways to Sunday in terms of atmosphere. I wish that during the Campaign for Excellence, someone had said, "Hey, why don't we turn our fieldhouse into a loud as hell barn?" and then done it. OU's athletic department has a cash cow in Owen Field and I contend one reason for that is its proximity to campus. It's easy to walk to and from if you live on campus. It has enough parking (nowhere will be perfect) and enough tailgating/restaurant/bar traffic around to keep the locals happy.

I wish we had had the vision to turn our barn into a nice loud 9 - 11 thousand seat arena that the campus could embrace. We don't need a huge arena as the Ford Center in OKC is new, big and nice and will be getting the NCAA regionals. What OU needs is a basketball venue that has a charm, an accessibility and an atmosphere that its fans can get behind. Let's face it, Lloyd Noble sucks. It is SEVERELY lacking in atmosphere and I feel that it will continue to hinder whoever our next coach is.

Dude, stop making sense. Seriously.

TheHumanAlphabet
3/29/2006, 11:26 PM
When I was there, we had LW4 and LW5, I believe...

sooner518
3/29/2006, 11:34 PM
i couldnt agree more. its probably too late now though

OKC-SLC
3/30/2006, 01:55 AM
i would LOVE to have the field house opened to even about 6-9 thousand seats--how big is cameron? we're no duke, but that tiny middle-school-sized gym has got some serious mojo. What about Phog Allen? Maybe 12000? I'm too lazy to look it up.

We're no Duke, or KU. I know that. But to have a place with some character instead of the arenaball **** we're playing would pep things up.

I agree, it would also help if the BB games were not played in Purcell.

SOONER44EVER
3/30/2006, 04:23 AM
The LNC was built for concerts then somebody decided to have BB games there. :D

sooner518
3/30/2006, 07:54 AM
Cameron Indoor is a shade over 9000. It feels like a high school gym though. I couldnt believe they could fit 9K in there. Place is tiny

Rhino
3/30/2006, 10:45 AM
The LNC was built for concerts then somebody decided to have BB games there. :D And the sound is horrible there. Whoever built it needs to be fired...no matter where they are now.

RacerX
3/30/2006, 11:07 AM
Cameron Indoor is a shade over 9000. It feels like a high school gym though. I couldnt believe they could fit 9K in there. Place is tiny

I was surprised. Low roof too. The noise has no where to go.

1stTimeCaller
3/30/2006, 11:11 AM
And the sound is horrible there. Whoever designed it needs to be fired...no matter where they are now.

fixed

JohnnyMack
3/30/2006, 11:35 AM
From what I can find it looks like LosuR spent around 55 million to renovate GIA. We spent around 17 million to renovate LNC.

I for one would have much rather found a way to come up with another 30 - 40 million (sell those naming rights Joe C.!!!!) and turn our barn into what it should be.

NormanPride
3/30/2006, 11:50 AM
Think Phil could raise that? :D

OUstud
3/30/2006, 04:57 PM
Why relegate the students to such awful seats? They are some of the loudest and best fans in the arena, and deserve much, much better then what you show in the picture.

They need to be on the baseline because they are closest to the court there. On the sides the dang oval would make them farther away.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
3/30/2006, 05:26 PM
did anyone ever go to old barnhill? man that place was steep and loud...

BarryBnds
3/30/2006, 05:56 PM
did anyone ever go to old barnhill? man that place was steep and loud...

Arkansas hasn't been the same since. They should've done a Gallagher-Iba to it.

apusooner
3/30/2006, 06:14 PM
And the sound is horrible there. Whoever built it needs to be fired...no matter where they are now.

i think they spent over $1 million on the sound system in there. it's one of the worst in the world. i went to a place in thailand with a better sound system. seriously.

OUstud
3/30/2006, 08:12 PM
The sound system does suck majorly.

Ruprecht
3/30/2006, 08:37 PM
I agree. It is DEFINITELY the arena. NOT the fans, nor the realistic disappointment with consistent 23 or 24 wins a year...

bluedogok
3/30/2006, 08:54 PM
From a television perspective, the best thing would be to move the big donor alumni who sit on their hands and complain when someone stands up out of camera view. That makes it look like a morgue, most schools put students in camera view.

It was a bad 70's design, I have been to alot of games and concerts there years ago and the sound wasn't any better/worse than any other generic arena. The PA system may be a different story. They should find a way to build a real basketball arena where the old fieldhouse is now. No suites/skyboxes, just a raucous, raise the roof kind of gym.

No one ever comments on how "good" the new arenas are for the college game. College sports is more history driven than any other sport except for MLB. The Wal-Mart arena replacing the Barn (Arkansas), The Wal-Mart Heir Arena replacing Hearnes Field House (Mizzou), Bramlage replacing Ahearn (K-State), the Dean Dome, the new Maryland arena and many others are a step in the wrong direction. Most of the design of the 70's could be imploded and no one would really care, not just for sports venues.