PDA

View Full Version : Who knows what an EMG is?

MamaMia
3/29/2006, 07:10 PM
This would be an EMG of the ulna or ulnar nerve[s] and does it involve needles? :confused:

slickdawg
3/29/2006, 07:13 PM
Oh boy Mom, you're not gonna like the answer.

It involves needles and electricity, and hurts like hell.

Tailwind
3/29/2006, 07:13 PM
Tests & Procedures Electromyography (EMG)
(Myogram)

Procedure Overview
What is EMG?
Electromyography (EMG) measures muscle response or electrical activity in response to a nerve’s stimulation of the muscle. The test is used to help detect neuromuscular abnormalities.

During the test, one or more small needles (also called electrodes) are inserted through the skin into the muscle. The electrical activity picked up by the electrodes is then displayed on an oscilloscope (a monitor that displays electrical activity in the form of waves). An audio-amplifier is used so the activity can be heard.

EMG measures the electrical activity of muscle during rest, slight contraction, and forceful contraction. Muscle tissue does not normally produce electrical signals during rest. When an electrode is inserted, a brief period of activity can be seen on the oscilloscope, but after that, no signal should be present.

After all of the electrodes have been inserted, you may be asked to contract the muscle, for example, by lifting or bending your leg. The action potential (size and shape of the wave) that this creates on the oscilloscope provides information about the ability of the muscle to respond when the nerves are stimulated. As the muscle is contracted more forcefully, more and more muscle fibers are activated, producing action potentials.

A related procedure that may be performed is nerve conduction velocity (NCV). NCV is a measurement of the speed of conduction of an electrical impulse through a nerve. NCV can determine nerve damage and destruction, and is often performed at the same time as EMG. Both procedures help to detect the presence, location, and extent of diseases that damage the nerves and muscles. Please see this procedure for additional information.

TheHumanAlphabet
3/29/2006, 07:51 PM
Do you have carpal tunnel?

As slickdog says, the nerve conduction velocity test is not fun and is painful from I'm told...

Okla-homey
3/29/2006, 08:02 PM
Mom,

I recommend a couple cocktails before the appointment.

Tailwind
3/29/2006, 08:21 PM
Mom,

I recommend a couple dozen cocktails before the appointment.
Amended. :D

AlbqSooner
3/29/2006, 09:42 PM
The nerve conduction velocity test is one way to fully appreciate the use of electrical shocks as a means of torture.

I had that test done and it knocks hell out of you several times. Fortunately it was administered by a Hawt nurse who kept more than arms length from me.

Although I am vehmently opposed to violence against women, I would have made an exception for her had she stepped just one or two steps closer.

I have no personal experience with the EMG.

MamaMia
3/29/2006, 09:56 PM
Do you have carpal tunnel?

As slickdog says, the nerve conduction velocity test is not fun and is painful from I'm told...They think I may have some carpal tunnel or maybe ulnar nerve entrapment. Its no big deal. They arent even going to address that until they take care of the dysplasia. I'll be okay. :)

You all are a virtual storehouse of free information. Thanks. :D

slickdawg
3/29/2006, 10:19 PM
They think I may have some carpal tunnel or maybe ulnar nerve entrapment. Its no big deal. They arent even going to address that until they take care of the dysplasia. I'll be okay. :)

You all are a virtual storehouse of free information. Thanks. :D

Glad to help!

soonerbrat
3/29/2006, 10:23 PM
This would be an EMG of the ulna or ulnar nerve[s] and does it involve needles? :confused:

'
ah mom, i had two of those...i had cubital tunnel syndrome and had to have an EMG

electromyelogram

yes, it involved needles. the first one hurt so bad i cried. the 2nd i guess i had a better doctor or he was cuter or something because it didn't hurt at all.

soonerbrat
3/29/2006, 10:24 PM
The nerve conduction velocity test is one way to fully appreciate the use of electrical shocks as a means of torture.

I had that test done and it knocks hell out of you several times. Fortunately it was administered by a Hawt nurse who kept more than arms length from me.

Although I am vehmently opposed to violence against women, I would have made an exception for her had she stepped just one or two steps closer.

I have no personal experience with the EMG.

they had a nurse do it? 2 neurologists did mine.

soonerbrat
3/29/2006, 10:27 PM
p.s. i had ulnar nerve entrapment..there are 2 kinds. one is cubital tunnel which is what i had and the other is ulnar tunnel.

i had to have surgery on mine and i don't have a funny bone anymore..they moved my ulnar nerve out of that groove and to the anterior side of my arm under the muscle....not fun. 2 weeks in a cast with my arm out straight and 5 months of hand therapy....it took 2 months before i could touch my head with my left hand

MamaMia
3/30/2006, 12:33 PM
p.s. i had ulnar nerve entrapment..there are 2 kinds. one is cubital tunnel which is what i had and the other is ulnar tunnel.

i had to have surgery on mine and i don't have a funny bone anymore..they moved my ulnar nerve out of that groove and to the anterior side of my arm under the muscle....not fun. 2 weeks in a cast with my arm out straight and 5 months of hand therapy....it took 2 months before i could touch my head with my left hand
I'm glad you are better now and sorry you had to go through that.

I do need to know though; what was the name of the cute doctor who did your EMG the time it didnt hurt? :D

soonerbrat
3/30/2006, 01:16 PM
I'm glad you are better now and sorry you had to go through that.

I do need to know though; what was the name of the cute doctor who did your EMG the time it didnt hurt? :D

I don't remember! my attorney had all my medical records, too, so i can't look it up...it was 2 years ago