PDA

View Full Version : your Texas Rangers

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5]

BeetDigger
11/14/2006, 06:00 PM
Interesting article regarding pitching free agents. Food for thought as teams sift through the FA market, trying to capture lightning in a bottle. If you are going to wish to be something, wish to be a pitcher. Where else can you be paid top $ and yet be a mediocre performer? All with a guaranteed contract.

Free agent pitching (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/tom_verducci/11/14/redsox.pitchers/index.html)

colleyvillesooner
11/14/2006, 09:37 PM
Sources were wrong. Boston paid $51 million to talk to the Japanese pitcher. That's ****ing ludicrous, and twice what the Rangers offered. Don't know if that shows the Rangers lack of true interest, or Boston's over interest.

Scott D
11/14/2006, 11:12 PM
colley you couldn't handle soccer if you're going nuts over the fee for that pitcher :D

colleyvillesooner
11/14/2006, 11:31 PM
colley you couldn't handle soccer if you're going nuts over the fee for that pitcher :D

Prolly not. :D

Scott D
11/14/2006, 11:59 PM
Prolly not. :D

Real Madrid in 2001 paid $66M to Juventus for Zinedine Zidane. Before that they paid $56.1M to Barcelona for Luis Figo.

Here's more info on the whole deal with the Japanese pitcher. I still think this would be a very workable system with MLB since they don't want a salary cap, and it's a better way to suppliment the lesser teams financially by making teams like the Red Sox and Yankees pay exorborant fees for certain players.

The posting system is a transfer system for baseball players moving from a Japanese baseball team to a Major League Baseball team.

When a player whose rights belong to a Japanese team wishes to move to a Major League team, he requests the team to make him available for posting. If the team consents, a Japanese team informs the MLB Commissioner's office that one of its players is posted. Interested Major League teams then submit "silent bids" to the Commissioner's office within 4 days. The highest bidding team has the right to negotiate with the player. If the player and the Major League team come to terms on a contract within 30 days, the Japanese team receives the bid amount as the transfer fee.

The team can refuse to post a player, and the player has no say in which team to negotiate with.

The posting system was implemented so teams could avoid losing players to the Major Leagues without compensation. The system was created as a reaction to Hideo Nomo's departure from the Kintetsu Buffaloes. In 1995, Nomo, who was not eligible for free agency, "retired" from Japanese baseball, and then signed with the Los Angeles Dodgers.

The posting system does not apply to free agents or to players with 10 years or more of service in the Japanese professional leagues.

Notable postings to the Major League under the system

* Daisuke Matsuzaka ($51.1 million; from Seibu Lions to the Boston Red Sox)
* Ichiro Suzuki ($13.1 million; from Orix Blue Wave to the Seattle Mariners)
* Kazuhisa Ishii ($11.3 million; from the Yakult Swallows to the Los Angeles Dodgers)
* Akinori Otsuka (from the Chunichi Dragons to the San Diego Padres)
* Norihiro Nakamura (from the Kintetsu Buffaloes to the Los Angeles Dodgers)
* Shinji Mori (from the Seibu Lions to the Tampa Bay Devil Rays)

mrowl
11/15/2006, 01:22 PM
Sources were wrong. Boston paid $51 million to talk to the Japanese pitcher. That's ****ing ludicrous, and twice what the Rangers offered. Don't know if that shows the Rangers lack of true interest, or Boston's over interest.

I think all this means is that they are going to offer a **** contract to him, and he won't sign anywhere.

colleyvillesooner
11/22/2006, 01:11 PM
Angels sign GMJ for 5 years, $50 million. I wish he would have stayed here, but not for $10 a year for a 32 year old.

jk the sooner fan
11/22/2006, 01:15 PM
i dont think we ever had a shot

the angels will regret this in a couple of years

mrowl
11/22/2006, 01:19 PM
well, that sucks. But he can go for that money.

colleyvillesooner
11/22/2006, 01:27 PM
i dont think we ever had a shot

the angels will regret this in a couple of years

I agree. We probably said here's what we'll give you (3 year contract probably) and if you can get better, best of luck.

Scott D
11/22/2006, 02:13 PM
Based on his career I doubt it'll take a couple of years :)

BeetDigger
11/22/2006, 02:29 PM
Unbelievable. Pierre getting $45 and now Mathews getting $50. Well, I guess it is highly likely that Jones, Wells and Hunter don't resign and instead test the waters next year. I put all three ahead of Pierre and Mathews. I imagine that Jones will command $17 to $20 per.

soonerjoker
11/23/2006, 11:57 AM
i think that the dodgers got a better deal (pierre) than GMJ. he's younger,
& probably faster, but not as good of an arm. both are grossly overpaid.

has not GMJ had only one good year ???

Scott D
11/23/2006, 09:36 PM
i think that the dodgers got a better deal (pierre) than GMJ. he's younger,
& probably faster, but not as good of an arm. both are grossly overpaid.

has not GMJ had only one good year ???

pierre was a major ripoff as well. He's among the worst leadoff hitters in the league.

soonerjoker
11/27/2006, 09:48 AM
he had 204 hits & 58 stolen bases, last year. that's about all i know about
him.

how bout carlos lee for 100m ???? that's right up there with 65m for chan hoho park.

jk the sooner fan
11/27/2006, 09:51 AM
him.

how bout carlos lee for 100m ???? that's right up there with 65m for chan hoho park.

lee will kill the ball in that park.......but he's got NO speed in the outfield

Scott D
11/27/2006, 10:38 AM
him.

his lifetime obp is .330, he may steal you 50 bases but he'll get thrown out trying another 20-22 times. He's definitely not someone you want coming up if the bottom of your order gets on base though.

Lee on the other hand in not so hitter friendly parks is a 35/100 guy. He should do very well in left for the Astros.

soonerjoker
11/27/2006, 10:50 AM
204 hits is pretty good.

you really think lee for 100 mil is an OK deal ??

jk the sooner fan
11/27/2006, 10:51 AM
indeed he's overpaid, but thats what baseball owners do....thats a pretty formidable batting lineup in houston now

Scott D
11/27/2006, 11:23 AM
204 hits is pretty good.

you really think lee for 100 mil is an OK deal ??

it's a better deal than the one for the guy who is the same age and is getting $136M for 8 years with the Cubs.

Honestly, if Chavez Ravine was the old Chavez Ravine up until the mid-late 90s Pierre would be a great pickup, but since nobody plays baseball that way anymore he's just not as good a pick up.

Oh and JK, Lee can get you 12-15 sb a year. Not too bad for a big guy who has gotten better defensively every year he's been in the majors, and will be hitting in either the 4 or 5 spot in the lineup.

Additionally, I don't think 42hr 130rbi are out of the question for Lee next year as benchmark numbers.

jk the sooner fan
11/27/2006, 11:27 AM
yeah i saw some of the sb's he got in arlington.....please, gimme a break......the guy has no wheels.....or if he does, they're the big ones you see at a truck pull

Scott D
11/27/2006, 11:31 AM
Hey I didn't say he was a speedster, but he does average 12-15 a season somehow.

In other news, imo the Rangers should get work fast on the Vernon Wells thing. Better to get him now than before Tom Hicks pulls out the checkbook and does another A-Rod deal.

Also, AL MVP Justin Morneau made a whole whopping $385k this past season. Talk about cashing in bigtime, Minnesota better find some money or he'll be another talented Twin moving on. Twins are talking about an extension around $3.5/4M a year...like that's going to work in this climate.

jk the sooner fan
11/27/2006, 11:41 AM
are there rumors the rangers are trying to swing a trade for Wells?

Scott D
11/27/2006, 11:55 AM
not that I've seen, however prior to signing GMJ, the Angels were pretty hot and heavy in trying to pry him from the Jays. I do think it'd be in the Rangers best interests to try and swing a deal for him and then sign him to an extension rather than take their chances on the open market for him where he'll easily command $16-18M per season.

Toronto Star (http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1164581411334&call_pageid=969907739730&col=970081600908) (today's edition)

Meanwhile, the Jays control Vernon Wells for the 2007 season, but will have an extremely difficult time fitting him into their budget if they are to extend him in a multi-year deal. Wells should attract several teams in 2008 willing to pay him between $16 and $18 million per season. The most attractive of those opportunities should come from the Texas Rangers

Consider the fact there is no state income tax in Texas, and Wells makes his home in Arlington, a short drive from the Rangers' home field.

The home field and home state factor alone would put roughly $10 million a year in Wells' pockets in tax savings. Texas also lost centre fielder Gary Matthews Jr. to the Anaheim Angels which makes Wells even more attractive to their future plans.

mrowl
11/27/2006, 12:37 PM
DeRosa, GMJ, and Lee gone... I thought that they had to sign one of those guys at least....

things don't look good right now.

mrowl
11/27/2006, 05:06 PM
Adam Eaton has signed with the Phillies. getting concerned here....

And Barajas has joined the Blue Jays. thats ok with me. Its time for Laird to shine.

mrowl
11/30/2006, 09:09 PM
GMJ turns into an asshat.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=Ag4eUycTFA9NzLgEZ4_Wt58RvLYF?slug=ap-angels-matthews&prov=ap&type=lgns

"Secretly, one of the players over there with the Rangers wants to play in Anaheim. I'm not going to name any names, but I know it and he knows it," Matthews said with a grin Wednesday at an introductory news conference one week after he agreed to a $50 million, five-year contract with the Angels.

"I wouldn't say a new manager alone is going to make a huge difference over there," Matthews said. "You could bring anyone in there. But if you don't go out and get the pieces that you need, as far as being able to pitch consistently, you're not going to win.

"I mean, we had Kevin Millwood and Vicente Padilla, who had outstanding years for us last year. But aside from that, it took our pitching staff a while to come around. Our bullpen fared well in the second half of the season, but it was almost too late by then."

This coming from a guy that had ONE good year..........

mrowl
11/30/2006, 09:13 PM
And Zito meets with the Rangers:

http://rangers.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20061130&content_id=1748414&vkey=news_tex&fext=.jsp&c_id=tex

soonerjoker
12/2/2006, 12:04 PM
Scott D

how has chavez ravine changed !!!!!
dodger stadium ???

i heard once that they made the fences shorter, actually by moving home plate out. seems like that was a long time ago.

looks the same to me. actually is 4th oldest park in majors. some folks
have built 2 new parks since DS opened. (1962)

yep, i know, no point in this post.

soonerjoker
12/2/2006, 12:07 PM
if he steals 58 bases, but is thrown out 22 times, stil a .725 average.
that's not bad.

Scott D
12/2/2006, 03:44 PM
Scott D

how has chavez ravine changed !!!!!
dodger stadium ???

i heard once that they made the fences shorter, actually by moving home plate out. seems like that was a long time ago.

looks the same to me. actually is 4th oldest park in majors. some folks
have built 2 new parks since DS opened. (1962)

yep, i know, no point in this post.

in addition to bringing the fences in, I think it was late 90s they took away the major advantage that Chavez Ravine had in making the mound the same uniform height as the rest of the league. It had always measured I believe 3-5" higher than the rest of the league before that.

Scott D
12/2/2006, 03:45 PM
if he steals 58 bases, but is thrown out 22 times, stil a .725 average.
that's not bad.

I'd be more interested in the breakdown of his success rate of stealing second compared to stealing third, along with his success rate with 0, 1, or 2 outs.

soonerjoker
12/3/2006, 11:40 AM
i remember that maury wills once said it was easier to steal 3rd than 2nd.

he never tried to steal home , tho.

whatever advantage or dis advantage you have @ home, works for other team also.

having higher mound would work against you, when on the road.

JMHO

Scott D
12/3/2006, 04:06 PM
i remember that maury wills once said it was easier to steal 3rd than 2nd.

he never tried to steal home , tho.

whatever advantage or dis advantage you have @ home, works for other team also.

having higher mound would work against you, when on the road.

JMHO

Well like I said, mound sizes vary around the league. And you'd have to say the higher mound at Chavez Ravine gave the Dodgers a huge advantage.

In other news, what would you say if I told you that I had my hands on a 1 of 169 autographed Sandy Koufax jersey commemorating his cy young and mvp awards of 1963.

soonerjoker
12/4/2006, 11:07 AM
i'd say "THAT IS TERRIFIC" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i saw Koufax pitch, once in St.Louis & several times in LA.

if the mound in LA was such an advantage, why didn't other teams do it ??

i heard that a lot of the advantage was the heavy (humid) air. not in
day games tho, very dry in the daytime.

Koufax & Drysdale were the main advantages.

jk the sooner fan
12/4/2006, 10:25 PM
if you guys arent too busy jacking this RANGERS thread with dodger crap

looks like they resigned Padilla to a 3 year deal

colleyvillesooner
12/4/2006, 11:02 PM
Yep...

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2686441

Padilla, Rangers reach agreement on $34M contract
By Jerry Crasnick
ESPN.com

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. -- Free agent right-hander Vicente Padilla has reached a preliminary agreement on a $34 million, three-year contract with the Texas Rangers, a baseball source said Monday night.

The deal is contingent upon Padilla passing a physical exam, which is expected to be administered in the coming days.

Padilla, a 15-game winner for the Rangers last season, will fill the No. 2 spot in the rotation behind fellow right-hander Kevin Millwood. Padilla attracted interest from several National League clubs, but Texas moved quickly after losing Adam Eaton to the Philadelphia Phillies in free agency.

The 29-year-old Padilla was 15-10 with a 4.50 ERA and 156 strikeouts in 200 innings in 2006. He had spent the previous five seasons in Philadelphia. Padilla is 66-61 in eight major league seasons.

Some sources are also saying the Rangers have offered Zito 6 years, 102 million. That seems like an awful lot, but I'd like my first three pitchers a whole lot better if it's Zito, Milwood and Padilla.

mrowl
12/5/2006, 06:39 AM
welp, its a start.

The baseball anti-christ wants 7 for Zito. So I am sure he is taking those numbers to the Mets and Dodgers to start the bidding. Why do I get the feeling that Boras just uses Hicks to drive up the price?

colleyvillesooner
12/5/2006, 08:35 AM
welp, its a start.

The baseball anti-christ wants 7 for Zito. So I am sure he is taking those numbers to the Mets and Dodgers to start the bidding. Why do I get the feeling that Boras just uses Hicks to drive up the price?

Cause he does? ;)

soonerjoker
12/10/2006, 11:56 AM
where are all you rangers fans ???

on another board ???

mrowl
12/10/2006, 07:41 PM
where are all you rangers fans ???

on another board ???

call me when they actually do something.

GrapevineSooner
12/11/2006, 12:31 AM
Call me when joker actually makes a meangingful contribution to this board.

BeetDigger
12/11/2006, 12:46 AM
Well, the pain in Seattle continues with another awful offseason move. Take heart Ranger fans, regardless of what moves the Rangers make, the Mariners will make something worse.

colleyvillesooner
12/11/2006, 09:38 AM
Heard on the Radio that the Rangers are meeting with Mark Mulder this week.

jk the sooner fan
12/11/2006, 10:27 AM
apparently they're close to terms with kenny lofton.........i guess thats just until we can trade for wells or hunter.......at least i hope

gonna be another long year in arlington

Scott D
12/11/2006, 10:35 AM
new Wells rumor allegedly has the White Sox trying to trade for him. Amusing that rumor isn't coming out of Chicago, but Toronto.

Rangers possibly getting Gagne could be big, if he's past his arm trouble.

mrowl
12/11/2006, 10:40 AM
I don't know what to say.

The Rangers are also interested in Ryan Drese. You remember Drese. He was the 14-game winner for the Rangers in 2004 who struggled in 2005, was put on waivers and claimed by the Washington Nationals. Since then he has had both shoulder and elbow surgery and pitched in just two games for the Nationals last year.

http://trsullivan.mlblogs.com/

soonerjoker
12/11/2006, 11:47 AM
Grape
i try to never make "meangingful" comments.

rangers have a good shot @ a 39 year old, centerfielder. wow

mrowl
12/11/2006, 03:46 PM
yea... :rolleyes:

Kenny Lofton agrees

The Rangers have agreed to a one-year deal with Kenny Lofton...They just need to get the obligatory physical out of the way. But they finally have their center fielder in hand.

soonerinabilene
12/12/2006, 02:03 PM
so we also are getting gagne, who if he is healthy is the best closer in the league, but i could have sworn we needed STARTING PITCHING!

Scott D
12/12/2006, 02:14 PM
Rangers so far as I know are still heavy in the Zito race. Sounds like it's between them and the Mets. Jeff Weaver is still out there, but I'd lean toward him re-signing with the Cardinals.

Scott D
12/12/2006, 06:39 PM
If the media is to be believed, Rangers and Zito should be done in a day or two, and Mulder looks likely to sign w/ them also, should they make a good offer.

mrowl
12/12/2006, 07:43 PM
If the media is to be believed, Rangers and Zito should be done in a day or two, and Mulder looks likely to sign w/ them also, should they make a good offer.

when they sign on the dotted line, I will be very happy.

How appropriate that my season ticket renewal package came in the mail today.

:pop:

Gandalf_The_Grey
12/12/2006, 09:21 PM
Do we still have Millwood? Because if so...Zito, Mulder, Millwood, Padilla sounds pretty sweet!

colleyvillesooner
12/12/2006, 10:29 PM
Do we still have Millwood? Because if so...Zito, Mulder, Millwood, Padilla sounds pretty sweet!

Pretty sweet?! :les: PRETTY SWEET!!?

Considering where we've been, that sounds like the holy grail of pitching to me

Gandalf_The_Grey
12/12/2006, 10:40 PM
Let's not send them to Canton yet ;)

Scott D
12/12/2006, 11:42 PM

Mulder is damaged goods though...not as much of a risk being taken with him as with Gagne, but still a decent sized risk based upon his durability the past couple of years.

FWIW, Zito may be the reason that the Red Sox haven't signed that Japanese pitcher they paid so much to negotiate with.

jk the sooner fan
12/14/2006, 11:45 AM
where are you guys reading that the rangers and zito is a done deal? or that its even rumored?

colleyvillesooner
12/14/2006, 11:51 AM
I think people believe it's a 2 team race, Rangers and Mets. Rangers have offered more than the Mets, but New York is a more attactive destintation. Now that Matsuzaka is done, Boras is free to finish up the Zito deal.

Beef
12/14/2006, 11:57 AM
Pretty sweet?! :les: PRETTY SWEET!!?

Considering where we've been, that sounds like the holy grail of pitching to me
Jose Guzman, Kevin Brown, Nolan Ryan and Bobby Witt would have kicked their asses.

Beef
12/14/2006, 12:00 PM
And if Edwin Correa could have stayed healthy then....damn. That would have been a pitching staff.

Scott D
12/14/2006, 01:39 PM
where are you guys reading that the rangers and zito is a done deal? or that its even rumored?

I generally go to a site that puts up daily headlines and teasers for everyone in baseball. They also have it where you can look at a specific team. Everything with the Mets points to them offering considerably less money than the Rangers (http://www.prosportsdaily.com/mlb/rangers/rumors.html) are, and are somewhat having a 'take it or leave it' attitude if their papers are to be believed in regards to Zito.

Scott D
12/15/2006, 12:23 PM
And now the Mets are turning up the heat enough that pundits are beginning to think that the Rangers will fall out of the Zito sweepstakes soon.

colleyvillesooner
12/15/2006, 12:26 PM
Rangers getting used again to drive up the price? No way!

Scott D
12/15/2006, 12:30 PM
If the Rangers don't close this out, hopefully as a retrospect they won't make it public that they're willing to go up to a certain dollar amount with a free agent.

Also, sounds like Wells is going to sign that 7 year deal with the Jays soon.

colleyvillesooner
12/15/2006, 12:34 PM
Yeah, doesn't seem like the smart play.

Scott D
12/15/2006, 12:42 PM
I like also how the NY media says that Minaya covets Javier Vazquez. I hope Ken Williams tells him he can only have Vazquez for Beltran or Reyes :)

AllAboutThe'O'
12/15/2006, 03:57 PM
And if Edwin Correa could have stayed healthy then....damn. That would have been a pitching staff.
With the possible exception of David Clyde, Edwin Correa will go down in history as The Greatest Ranger Pitcher Who Could've Been.

soonerjoker
12/16/2006, 10:56 AM
wasn't it tom house that was PC when several yuong pitchers ruined their
arms ?? like guzman & correa.

mrowl
12/16/2006, 01:00 PM
from ESPN.

Mets want to meet Zito
Dec 15 - A source told Newsday that the Mets are working to arrange a face-to-face meeting with Zito at a time and place that has yet to be determined.

If that happens, Mets third baseman David Wright told the New York Daily News he would be more than happy to take Zito on a tour of New York City.

"I'd be more than open to showing Barry around and trying to sell him on New York," said Wright, who played Santa for elementary-school children at Shea Stadium on Wednesday.

Mets GM Omar Minaya said he has discussed Zito with agent Scott Boras and "will continue to talk to him," but he didn't "have a feel" for how long it would take to reach a resolution.

Both Minaya and manager Willie Randolph heaped praise on Zito.

"I like what we have, but Barry Zito is one of the best pitchers in the game," Randolph said. "If the organization sees fit that we can fit him into our budget, then we'd love to have him. He's the best pitcher on the market."

According to the Newark Star-Ledger, there's been talk of a six-year offer worth in excess of $100 million from Texas. The Mets would like Zito more in the $73 million range, the same price the Astros paid for Roy Oswalt's extension this year.

mrowl
12/23/2006, 02:36 PM
WTF?

Danks for McCarthy?

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/122406dnsporangerstrade.39fa6227.html

I dunno... seems like they could have gotten more for Danks.

*IF* the Rangers can sign Zito, I would love this lineup though...

Zito
Millwood
Padilla
McCarthy
Tejeda

GrapevineSooner
12/23/2006, 04:48 PM
Could be a sign they aren't confident they'll get Zito.

Scott D
12/23/2006, 07:47 PM
could be that McCarthy is better than you think.

Originally he was why we traded Garcia to Philly. Ken Williams has been trying to get him into the rotation for the last couple of years, all he was able to get him in for starterwise was spot duty when El Duque was injured 2 years ago, and when Contreras was injured last season.

I'd say the kid has better stuff than Padilla, and could easily be your #2 starter.

I can only hope that our pitching coaches can turn Danks into a better pitcher than his numbers show.

jk the sooner fan
12/23/2006, 11:04 PM
no idea about Danks, but i think we'll regret letting Masset go

colleyvillesooner
12/24/2006, 12:01 AM
This deal has a very WTF? feel to me, but we'll see.

Scott D
12/24/2006, 01:58 AM
This deal has a very WTF? feel to me, but we'll see.

eh, proven mlb pitcher compared to unproven product.

I think the other two pitchers (not Danks) are probably the key to the deal. I really at this point consider the other player we sent to Texas as a throw in at least for now. an 18 y/o is too unpredictable as to what they'll become.

jk the sooner fan
12/24/2006, 09:32 AM
according to scout rumors last year, Masset had a chance to compete for a spot in the rotation this spring, or at least find a spot in the bullpen....then to read Daniels say that they didnt know what he'd be - meaning "inconsistent".....

just odd......but for 2 years Danks Diamond and Volquez have been untouchable......not so much anymore

soonerjoker
12/24/2006, 11:52 AM
Rangers have given up on their own farm system.

GrapevineSooner
12/25/2006, 10:18 PM
Just because they traded one piece of the DVD puzzle? :rolleyes:

BTW, I love my wife.

She got me two 10 game packs for the upcoming year with an option to purchase opening day tix against the Red Sox. :D

soonerjoker
12/26/2006, 10:07 AM
opening day is great fun. got to go back about 8 to 10 yrs ago.
took off work. free tickets, right behind home, about 10 rows (or so)
back. i like sitting behind the screen, no worry about foul balls.

there were several scouts behind us (1 row) with radar guns. i got to talk
to Stan Williams, formerly a pitcher for Dodgers. (i'm Dodgers fan)
he has since been a pitching coach, i think for seattle.

anyway, it was fun.

colleyvillesooner
12/26/2006, 03:25 PM
Good pub on McCarthy here:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/tom_verducci/12/26/breakout/index.html

3. Brandon McCarthy, 23, RHP, Rangers. Chicago GM Kenny Williams has stockpiled young pitchers, but why trade McCarthy without seeing what he can do as a starter? McCarthy took the old-school route to the rotation with a year and a half apprenticeship in the Chicago bullpen. Now he gets the chance to live up to those early comparisons to fellow lanky hard throwers Jack McDowell and Bret Saberhagen, though McCarthy's changeup is the pitch that will set him apart. Left-handers hit just .197 against him last season, the seventh-lowest mark in the AL.

Scott D
12/26/2006, 06:07 PM
technically SI got it wrong, because he started about 10 games in 2005.

Beef
12/28/2006, 12:10 PM
Zito to the Giants. 7 years, 126 mil. Oh well.

jk the sooner fan
12/28/2006, 12:10 PM
dammit

colleyvillesooner
12/28/2006, 12:12 PM
dammit

He rejcted our offer earlier this morning.

colleyvillesooner
12/28/2006, 12:13 PM
$18M a year is pretty high.

GrapevineSooner
12/28/2006, 12:34 PM
I can't blame them for not wanting to go to 7 years.

At least he didn't go to Anaheim.

Maybe Hicks ought to think about putting a roof over the ballpark.

mrowl
12/28/2006, 05:29 PM
Zito to the Giants. 7 years, 126 mil. Oh well.

overpaid, clap, clap, clap clap clap, overpaid....

mrowl
12/28/2006, 05:41 PM
I guess this means that M. Young is definitely signable now (if he chooses)

And there will be more money for Tex (if he chooses). But, he won't re-sign, so lets trade him and get a #1 or #2 starter.

mrowl
12/28/2006, 05:42 PM
Maybe Hicks ought to think about playing baseball in Jerry World.

fixed. :D

BeetDigger
12/28/2006, 10:36 PM
I think that you have that backwards. It was Hicks who was one of the leaders in keeping Jerry out of Dallas Country Club. The owner of the Cowboys can't even get to be a member of DCC. Heh.

Scott D
12/28/2006, 11:35 PM
I guess this means that M. Young is definitely signable now (if he chooses)

And there will be more money for Tex (if he chooses). But, he won't re-sign, so lets trade him and get a #1 or #2 starter.

man those baseball players are bunch of thugs. they should be run out of town.

mrowl
12/29/2006, 11:38 AM
man those baseball players are bunch of thugs. they should be run out of town.

blah? :rolleyes:

Scott D
12/29/2006, 02:26 PM
well you know, since they tend to have what is it? 5,6,7 bench clearing brawls per season. Such a bad example to set for today's youth.

jk the sooner fan
1/16/2007, 11:12 PM
the rangers are working on a minor league deal heavy with incentives with Sammy Sosa.....he'll get an invite to the spring training with a chance to compete for a roster spot.....he's only going to be guaranteed a minor league contract

if his bat is back, i like him for a DH

colleyvillesooner
1/16/2007, 11:55 PM
out.

Let me repeat....

OUT!

He's a cheater. Corked bat anyone? Been here since 1989 but forgets English at the congressional hearings?

No thanks.

AllAboutThe'O'
1/18/2007, 01:59 AM
Apparently, Sosa and the Rangers agreed to terms tonight.

I blame Bush. If he hadn't given up Sosa for Harold Freakin' Baines, none of this would have happened.

colleyvillesooner
2/28/2007, 05:59 PM
Not resigning GMJ isn't looking better and better.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/more/02/28/raids/index.html

Matthews ordered drug shipment
Angels outfielder sent HGH from busted pharmacy
Posted: Wednesday February 28, 2007 5:04PM; Updated: Wednesday February 28, 2007 5:21PM

Gary Matthews, Jr., hasn't had much to say about his reported connection to an illicit steroid distribution network.
AP
RELATED
• Holyfield, Matthews linked to busted labs
• SI reporters witness steroid sweep

Sports Illustrated reporters Luis Fernando Llosa and L. Jon Wertheim are tracking the investigation of an illegal steroid distribution network that has implicated pro athletes. On Tuesday they accompanied agents on a coordinated raid of an Orlando compound pharmacy and a Jupiter, Fla., "anti-aging" clinic that investigators allege conspired to fraudulently prescribe steroids, human growth hormone and other performance enhancing drugs over the Internet.

SI.com: Tell us what you've uncovered?

Llosa/Wertheim: Again, it could be weeks before the client lists from Tuesday's raid -- and others before it -- have been combed through. Already it's become clear that a number of high-profile athletes will be asked to explain why drugs associated with performance enhancement were prescribed in their names and, in some cases, sent to them through a system that investigators assert is fraudulent.

SI.com:Gary Matthews, Jr., who had a career year in 2006 and signed a $50 million deal with the Angels this offseason, has already been linked to a customer list of a raided pharmacy. Do you have more information on him?

Llosa/Wertheim: Yes. According to law enforcement documents we've reviewed, Matthews is not just on a customer list, as was reported Tuesday. In August 2004, he was allegedly sent Genotropin -- a brand of synthetic human growth hormone typically prescribed to children suffering from growth failure -- at an address in Mansfield, Texas. We traced the address and it is the residence of a former minor league teammate of Matthews', who told us that he is friends with Matthews.

SI.com: How did Matthews get a prescription?

Llosa/Wertheim: This, allegedly, goes to the root of what has prompted this massive investigation. According to the document we've reviewed, Matthews received the prescription through a doctor at Health Watch, a now-defunct anti-aging clinic in south Florida. According to the report, the drugs came from Applied Pharmacy services, a compound pharmacy in Mobile, Ala., which was raided last fall by the Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA). This shadowy nexis between anti-aging centers and compound pharmacies is at the heart of this multi-agency investigation.

SI.com: Is Matthews likely to face some sort of discipline?

Llosa/Wertheim: While Major League Baseball is surely interested, by no means is this a smoking gun. According to MLB spokesman Pat Courtney, HGH was not on the banned substance list in 2004, as the 2002 collective bargaining agreement was still in place. HGH was added as a banned substance for the 2005 season, Courtney says. Remember, too, that these are only allegations right now and that the document is only alleging that a shipment of growth hormone was sent in Matthews' name. Whether or not he actually took the drug is not part of this investigation.

SI.com: Has Matthews responded to these allegations?

Llosa/Wertheim: We spoke earlier Wednesday morning with Scott Leventhal, his agent: "No comment," he told us.

soonerjoker
3/2/2007, 10:33 AM
it worked, he had a "career year", & fooled the angels.

(of orange county CA.

soonerjoker
3/22/2007, 09:02 AM
where'd everybody go. ?????

colleyvillesooner
3/22/2007, 09:42 AM
Waiting for the season to start

soonerjoker
3/24/2007, 09:23 AM
how do you like the new name for the ball park ????

i like it.

jk the sooner fan
3/24/2007, 09:26 AM
i love it

get rid of that goofy *** bell

colleyvillesooner
3/24/2007, 09:30 AM
Yes, the bell must go.

Best part of the ballpark is "The Natural" theme music when a homerun is hit.

GrapevineSooner
3/25/2007, 10:48 AM
I never called it Ameriquest Field. It was always TBiA.

Though, Rangers Park in Arlington might grow on me.

And I'll be in the home run porch in about 344 hours. :D

colleyvillesooner
3/25/2007, 01:41 PM
I never called it Ameriquest Field. It was always TBiA.

Though, Rangers Park in Arlington might grow on me.

And I'll be in the home run porch in about 344 hours. :D

I love sitting there.