PDA

View Full Version : your Texas Rangers

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5

colleyvillesooner
7/24/2006, 05:16 PM
some good Rangers talk on the ticket right now, Rusty Greer is co-hosting the hardline.

How long was Greggo on his nuts?

GrapevineSooner
7/24/2006, 05:28 PM
[Rusty Greer]Hollywood, Hollywood.[/Rusty Greer]

I miss Rusty. :(

BeetDigger
7/24/2006, 05:57 PM
Ranger fans, please explain to me all of the A-Rod trash talking. I don't get it.

He played in 485 of the 486 games that Texas played during his three years here, he averaged 52 hrs and 131 RBI's all while hitting above .300. He averaged only 12 errors a year during his stay and won one, or was it two gold gloves. He also won the MVP and it was bemoaned by Ranger fans when he didn't win it one other year, in spite of the Ranger's record.

He should have said "Yes, Tom Hicks, Scott Boras is too fricking smart for you so I am going to give back some money so that dumbass Hart can find some pitching and pay them." Oh wait, he tried to reduce his salary to make a trade easier. But the UNION would not allow it.

I don't care for the guy, but for Ranger fans to call him a fraud and an a-hole seems pretty damn fickle to me (and I am not a Ranger fan). I think that you should direct your ire to the empty golf shirt who refused to trade Blalock, Tex or Mench for pitching (there were a number of teams offering up pitching for any of them but Hart refused to deal them). I know a lot of Ranger fans who thought it was blasphemy for them to even consider trading any of them two or three years ago. I guess that is 20/1000 vision now.

So if you please explain to me why Ranger's fans hate the guy who did everything he was supposed to do? Yankee fans are being pretty classless right now toward a guy who took a different position and was willing to take a large reduction of his salary to make a deal work.

jk the sooner fan
7/24/2006, 06:35 PM
personally i dont get the hate either

he's the youngest player ever to reach the HR plateau he just reached (450?)...when all is said and done..."afraud" will likely own the all time HR record

mrowl
7/24/2006, 06:36 PM
LMAO... A-Rod is not taking less salary. He just gets a check from 2 different teams for the next 20 years.

And A-Fraud is a guy who showed up 5 minutes before first pitch, and left 5 minutes after last pitch. Has never been a team guy, never will. Didn't give a f about DFW during the offseason, and charity? HA!

mrowl
7/24/2006, 06:36 PM
HR Tex!

BeetDigger
7/24/2006, 06:54 PM
LMAO... A-Rod is not taking less salary. He just gets a check from 2 different teams for the next 20 years.

And A-Fraud is a guy who showed up 5 minutes before first pitch, and left 5 minutes after last pitch. Has never been a team guy, never will. Didn't give a f about DFW during the offseason, and charity? HA!

You need to validate your facts. First, he was WILLING to take less salary. As I stated, the UNION wouldn't allow it. Second, I understand that he is very involved in charities. As for the rest of the stuff about DFW and showing up late for games, I never heard any of that. I heard that he was very professional in his approach and worked hard in batting practice and in taking infield. I guess you missed the fact that he missed one game in three years for the Rangers. Perhaps you should direct your distaste toward Hart and Hicks, the dumbass twins.

jk the sooner fan
7/24/2006, 06:54 PM

5 minutes before first pitch?

i call total BS - hell i went to games when he played, and watched him take BP - 2 hours before first pitch

ok so now we're basing what we think of players based on how much charity they give?

charity makes them better people, not better ball players -

how many of the players on the team now "care about DFW in the offseason?"

a handful? big deal

there are alot of sports stars with crappy personalities, or flaws....just like us normal people....but as players go, he's damn good....he didnt pitch when he was here but put up some GREAT offensive numbers

colleyvillesooner
7/24/2006, 06:56 PM
I just hate em. Don't care why. :D

jk the sooner fan
7/24/2006, 07:02 PM

no doubt, he's fun to boo.....he makes a good "bad guy".....nobody forced him to sign that ridiculous contract, but nobody forced Hart to offer it

he did exactly what he got paid to do.....play MVP type ball, hit homeruns...i agree some of his comments towards the club after leaving were in poor taste.....but pretty typical of ball players in this day and age

i can find a bad egg on any team that you call "your favorite"

mrowl
7/24/2006, 07:10 PM
You need to validate your facts. First, he was WILLING to take less salary. As I stated, the UNION wouldn't allow it. Second, I understand that he is very involved in charities. As for the rest of the stuff about DFW and showing up late for games, I never heard any of that. I heard that he was very professional in his approach and worked hard in batting practice and in taking infield. I guess you missed the fact that he missed one game in three years for the Rangers. Perhaps you should direct your distaste toward Hart and Hicks, the dumbass twins.

how do I validate just what I have heard from people that I trust? Just telling you why I hate him. You asked the question....

But you need to validate that he was willing to take less money.

mrowl
7/24/2006, 07:11 PM
and damnit. Jeter is money.

mrowl
7/24/2006, 07:14 PM
I forgot the stuff about forcing the Rangers to hire "his friends" to work in the clubhouse. Look it up yourself.

BeetDigger
7/24/2006, 07:15 PM

At least you admit to voting with your heart and not your head. :)

Oh, and congratulations on the engagement. Planning a wedding is not fun. But it is easier than the first year of marriage. ;) It gets much easier after 10. :D

BeetDigger
7/24/2006, 07:20 PM
how do I validate just what I have heard from people that I trust? Just telling you why I hate him. You asked the question....

It was well documented in the press about his willingness to accept a reduced salary. It was discussed often following the discussion about the trade to Boston and then NY.

As far as what you heard from your trusted sources, you should validate other things they tell you to be on the safe side. I'm afraid that if he was showing up late and being a bad teammate the press would have reported on it. I don't remember reading any articles on that. A bad teammate he is/was not.

BeetDigger
7/24/2006, 07:33 PM

Linky 1 (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2003/baseball/mlb/12/17/arod.contract.ap/)

Linky 2 (http://www.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/news/mlb_news.jsp?ymd=20031217&content_id=620263&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb)

Linky3 (http://fantasy.sportingnews.com/baseball/articles/20031218/510744.html)

Ok sport, now lets see your links on how he was a bad teammate, showed up 5 minutes before a game, didn't give to charity, had nothing to do with DFW...

I didn't hear ANY of that stuff while he was a member of the Rangers. Nothing. Come on sport, put up.

Harry Beanbag
7/24/2006, 07:57 PM
There are rumors out here that the Rangers are gonna trade for Luis Gonzalez. I have no idea if they're true or not.

Scott D
7/24/2006, 09:11 PM
There are rumors out here that the Rangers are gonna trade for Luis Gonzalez. I have no idea if they're true or not.

must not have gotten enough of the whole Steroids thing from their run with Raffy and Canseco ;)

AllAboutThe'O'
7/24/2006, 09:58 PM
Remember the days when we used to own the Yankees at home? Remember the days when we would eat the likes of Don Mattingly, Dave Winfield and Mike Pagliarulo for breakfast, Kevin Maas, Mel Hall and Luis Polonia for lunch and Andy Hawkins, Paul Assenmacher, Dave Righetti and Hensley "Bam Bam" Meulens for dinner? Remember when the great Billy Martin would get outfoxed by Bobby Valentine, and when Kevin Kennedy would do the same to Buck Showalter? Remember when the Yankees would just quake in fear whenever their plane touched down at DFW because they knew they would likely be lucky to avoid a sweep at the hands of the red and blue?

God, I miss those days.

Harry Beanbag
7/24/2006, 10:08 PM
must not have gotten enough of the whole Steroids thing from their run with Raffy and Canseco ;)

Well, obviously he isn't using them anymore. ;)

mrowl
7/25/2006, 05:52 AM
Linky 1 (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2003/baseball/mlb/12/17/arod.contract.ap/)

Linky 2 (http://www.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/news/mlb_news.jsp?ymd=20031217&content_id=620263&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb)

Ok sport, now lets see your links on how he was a bad teammate, showed up 5 minutes before a game, didn't give to charity, had nothing to do with DFW...

I didn't hear ANY of that stuff while he was a member of the Rangers. Nothing. Come on sport, put up.

I don't have to "sport". you asked the question why I didn't like the guy. I gave you an answer. sport. :rolleyes:

mrowl
7/25/2006, 05:57 AM

and by the way "sport", if you look close at the articles you posted, there would be salary deffered, and salary reduced, ONLY if he went to free agency years earlier than scheduled. :rolleyes:

colleyvillesooner
7/25/2006, 08:28 AM
All right, I'm in. 'Cause there's some next level **** going on and I'm OK with that. But before y'all go beaming me up there's one thing you gotta remember: You chose me... so you recognized the skills, so I don't want nobody calling me "son" or "kid" or "sport" or nothing like that, cool?

BeetDigger
7/25/2006, 08:42 AM
and by the way "sport", if you look close at the articles you posted, there would be salary deffered, and salary reduced, ONLY if he went to free agency years earlier than scheduled. :rolleyes:

I guess you didn't pay attention to the Rangers during the offseason so didn't hear any of this first hand and also haven't listened to the sports talk here recently when much of this has been rehashed. What do you think "restructuring" means?

As for your "claims", you can't back them up. Attribution to your "friends" is going to have to suffice I guess. Again, you hate him based on something other than facts.

colleyvillesooner
7/25/2006, 09:44 AM
Man, you sure have alost of opinions and research for someone who isn't a Rangers fan. Why the interest in why we hate A-Rod? I could understand if you were a big fan of the guy, or a Yankee fan.

The guy is a ******. His ******ry knows no bounds. That's why we hate him. :D

Gandalf_The_Grey
7/25/2006, 09:53 AM
Hey if I was getting paid 25 million a year...my ******ry would know no bounds ;)

GrapevineSooner
7/25/2006, 10:08 AM
The 'I don't want to be here with 24 kids' comment rubbed me the wrong way as a Ranger fan.

Then the Red Sox lost out on him.

Then Aaron "Bleeping" Boone blew his knee out playing pickup basketball. So SiAS traded for him.

Then he slapped the ball out of Bronson Arroyo's glove in Game 6 of the ALCS, which rubbed me the wrong way as a Red Sox fan.

Does that answer your question? ;)

Seriously, the only thing that A-Rod did while here that bothered me was the 24 kids comment. I'm sure it was rough playing for a team that went nowhere for the 3 years he was here.

I just like to razz him since he wears the Pinstripes.

And because he batted a buck-33 in last season's ALDS series with the Angels.

Beef
7/25/2006, 10:38 AM
Does anyone get thrown out running the bases more than Tex? Well, I guess Soriano could be up there. Is Tex pushing the baserunning a little because he's not hitting how he should be?

BeetDigger
7/25/2006, 11:32 AM
Man, you sure have alost of opinions and research for someone who isn't a Rangers fan. Why the interest in why we hate A-Rod? I could understand if you were a big fan of the guy, or a Yankee fan.

The guy is a ******. His ******ry knows no bounds. That's why we hate him. :D

As far as specifically the Rangers, its because I live here and get this daily sports infusion from the locals. That's why. It's called the sports section of the newspaper, the radio, the people I work around. They don't talk about any teams but the locals, which I understand, but if I want to talk about sports, it has to have a local flavor. The other, overarching reason, is that I like to discuss sports. Sorry, I guess you feel that only the fans of the local teams are supposed to discuss the local teams. I have noticed that you have had problems with other folks here who talk about the local teams but who don't support them and who don't show utter support. I know that fans of local teams look through rose colored glasses, but perhaps some objectivity would do you some good. You should put a registration requirement on threads involving the local teams so that only the fans of those teams can post in them. :rolleyes:

colleyvillesooner
7/25/2006, 11:42 AM
As far as specifically the Rangers, its because I live here and get this daily sports infusion from the locals. That's why. It's called the sports section of the newspaper, the radio, the people I work around. They don't talk about any teams but the locals, which I understand, but if I want to talk about sports, it has to have a local flavor. The other, overarching reason, is that I like to discuss sports. Sorry, I guess you feel that only the fans of the local teams are supposed to discuss the local teams. I have noticed that you have had problems with other folks here who talk about the local teams but who don't support them and who don't show utter support. I know that fans of local teams look through rose colored glasses, but perhaps some objectivity would do you some good. You should put a registration requirement on threads involving the local teams so that only the fans of those teams can post in them. :rolleyes:

Man I hate the :rolleyes: smilie. When people put it at the end of a diatribe like that, it comes off as, "Here's why I think this...you Dumbass." I know that's not how you meant it, but that's the way I always read it, no matter who posts it.

I know what you are saying, but this is Rangers Thread started by people who wan to talk about the Rangers. Is the "I can call my Mom ugly, but you better not sysndrome." I'm sure you're the same way with OU.

People here hate A-Rod, most of them for no reason. That's the way it is, so stats and links aren't going to change that. Just they same way stats and links about Mack Brown's record and what a nice guy he is don't make me not think he's a weasel. :D

Again, A-Rod is a ******. :D

GDC
7/25/2006, 12:11 PM
Remember the days when we used to own the Yankees at home? Remember the days when we would eat the likes of Don Mattingly, Dave Winfield and Mike Pagliarulo for breakfast, Kevin Maas, Mel Hall and Luis Polonia for lunch and Andy Hawkins, Paul Assenmacher, Dave Righetti and Hensley "Bam Bam" Meulens for dinner? Remember when the great Billy Martin would get outfoxed by Bobby Valentine, and when Kevin Kennedy would do the same to Buck Showalter? Remember when the Yankees would just quake in fear whenever their plane touched down at DFW because they knew they would likely be lucky to avoid a sweep at the hands of the red and blue?

God, I miss those days.

Could it be that you're referring mostly to the mid 80s through early 90s when the Yankees just weren't that good overall?

Scott D
7/25/2006, 12:11 PM
I think Padilla sucks more than A-Rod.....whom could be traded which would be vedy vedy interesting.

jk the sooner fan
7/25/2006, 12:17 PM
only the rangers would trade a mid season 10 game winner...

Scott D
7/25/2006, 12:30 PM
oh?

jk the sooner fan
7/25/2006, 12:31 PM
were you referring to trading a-rod or padilla?

BeetDigger
7/25/2006, 12:33 PM
Man I hate the :rolleyes: smilie. When people put it at the end of a diatribe like that, it comes off as, "Here's why I think this...you Dumbass." I know that's not how you meant it, but that's the way I always read it, no matter who posts it.

I know what you are saying, but this is Rangers Thread started by people who wan to talk about the Rangers. Is the "I can call my Mom ugly, but you better not sysndrome." I'm sure you're the same way with OU.

People here hate A-Rod, most of them for no reason. That's the way it is, so stats and links aren't going to change that. Just they same way stats and links about Mack Brown's record and what a nice guy he is don't make me not think he's a weasel. :D

Again, A-Rod is a ******. :D

That is all I really wanted to hear. You actually already answered it so I am not sure we needed to rehash it. Basically it is what I thought all along - it is for no logical reason other than people just dislike him. Other folks here have stated a bunch of things that haven't been supported and I think that their true reason for disliking him is the same as your's.

You misread my reason for the smilie. It was just reinforcing the point that if I don't unabashedly support the locals, I can't talk about them. I guess that is the same reason that folks around here hate Randy Galloway and some of the other's on 103.3.

Three year's ago I stated to many folks that I thought that the Ranger's had one of the best young teams around, especially the infield. I also thought that they should have traded from stregth to obtain the pitching help that they needed. Personally, I think that they should have kept A-Rod and traded Blalock and/or Mench for starting pitching. Right now, I don't think that the Ranger's would get the return from those guys that they would have a couple of year's ago. Look at their stats, they are both on the decline (avg., ops, slugging %). So is Tex.

jk the sooner fan
7/25/2006, 12:37 PM
dale hansen is on 103.3
so automatically i hate that station

it was easy enough with just galloway.....hansen made it even easier

Gandalf_The_Grey
7/25/2006, 12:39 PM
March 31, 2006Acquired pitcher John Koronka and a player to be named from the Chicago Cubs for infielder Freddie Bynum.It looks like the Cubs get screwed again ;)

GrapevineSooner
7/25/2006, 12:57 PM
Which reminds me, the Baseball Gods didn't do any favors to the broadcasters this past weekend in the Windy City when this matchup came up.

Koronka pitches to Konerko...

colleyvillesooner
7/25/2006, 01:30 PM
dale hansen is on 103.3
so automatically i hate that station

it was easy enough with just galloway.....hansen made it even easier

yeah, Galloway has perfected his "shtick" Hansen's just an ***.

mrowl
7/25/2006, 02:33 PM
I guess you didn't pay attention to the Rangers during the offseason so didn't hear any of this first hand and also haven't listened to the sports talk here recently when much of this has been rehashed. What do you think "restructuring" means?

As for your "claims", you can't back them up. Attribution to your "friends" is going to have to suffice I guess. Again, you hate him based on something other than facts.

here is a hint. Disney radio doesn't talk about the Rangers. :rolleyes:

I hate the rolleyes also.

BeetDigger
7/25/2006, 03:38 PM
here is a hint. Disney radio doesn't talk about the Rangers. :rolleyes:

I hate the rolleyes also.

I can only assume that is why you don't stay up on the locals. Set one of your stations to sports talk, pick up a newspaper, check out si.com, trust me, it will do wonders in keeping up with sports.

colleyvillesooner
7/25/2006, 03:53 PM
:pop:

mrowl
7/25/2006, 05:24 PM
Everyone, this is a thread notice. Please comply.

Don't ask for opinions of other people when you don't give a flying F what they think.

Back to the Rangers now.

I have high hopes for Eaton tonight, but I realize this is his first start back, and it may not go well.

colleyvillesooner
7/25/2006, 05:35 PM

Don't ask for opinions of other people when you don't give a flying F what they think.

Back to the Rangers now.

I have high hopes for Eaton tonight, but I realize this is his first start back, and it may not go well.

I just hope it's not "R.A. Dickey" bad.

AllAboutThe'O'
7/25/2006, 06:45 PM
Could it be that you're referring mostly to the mid 80s through early 90s when the Yankees just weren't that good overall?
True, but the Yankees were still a decent team in Billy Martin's final days and they were on the upswing under Buck. I don't think we've ever recovered from the Games 3 and 4 losses to them in the '96 ALDS, that's why we've struggled at home against them ever since. I guess it also helps to have a manager who's been able to avoid the temptation that the Metroplex strip clubs provide.;)

BeetDigger
7/25/2006, 07:18 PM

Don't try to pawn off facts when they are just opinions and when you call someone to produce facts, have the courage to acknowledge those facts and admit that you were wrong. Furthermore when you cannot produce validation of items that you say are facts, which are really just based upon hearsay, admit to such.

Basically, offer an honest answer to an honest question. People don't ask questions when they don't give an F, they ask questions to actually gain understanding.

mrowl
7/25/2006, 07:51 PM
Not getting my hopes up... 4 strikeouts for Eaton.

GrapevineSooner
7/25/2006, 10:25 PM
Now it seems that whenever the Yankees touchdown at DFW, the Rangers start shaking in their boots. :mad:

Guys, these aren't the '27 Yanks. They aren't even the 1998 Yanks.

Show some f***ing pride.

At least the Red Sox are beating the A's right now to keep the Rangers in it and to keep the Yankees at arm's length.

AllAboutThe'O'
7/25/2006, 10:55 PM
Now it seems that whenever the Yankees touchdown at DFW, the Rangers start shaking in their boots. :mad:

Guys, these aren't the '27 Yanks. They aren't even the 1998 Yanks.

Show some f***ing pride.

At least the Red Sox are beating the A's right now to keep the Rangers in it and to keep the Yankees at arm's length.
I think we need Pete O'Brien, Steve Buechele and Geno Petralli to knee-cap these guys next time they come to town. Not just the Yankees, but OUR team as well. They wouldn't stand for the red and blue looking like the Keystone Kops in their very own ballpark against the Bombers. When they played at home against the Yankees, it was like the freakin' World Series, no matter if the Yanks were bad or not. And it still meant something, dadgummit, to beat the Yankees. Now we're on the verge of going 0 for freakin' 6 against them at the Ballpark this year. That's not right. In fact, that's downright pathetic.

soonerjoker
7/26/2006, 11:59 AM
good for rangers that whole yank outfield ihave not been playing for
the 1st 2 games.

GDC
7/26/2006, 02:07 PM
good for rangers that whole yank outfield ihave not been playing for
the 1st 2 games.

Try most of the season.

AllAboutThe'O'
7/26/2006, 09:33 PM
And once again, we get screwed over by the umpires.

CoCo throws a perfect strike three down the pipe to **** *********, only to have the home plate ump call it a ball. Next pitch, Satan lines it to the hill in center. Then, things fall totally apart and now we're suddenly down.

I hate the umpires and I hate the Yankees.

Rant over, for now.

colleyvillesooner
7/26/2006, 09:40 PM
Hey, ****stick Josh Lewin! After he strikes out a bit player who is pinch hitting cold off the bench, please don't tell me that Coco's stuff "appears to be there" after he give up a homer, a walk, a single and a double, and a wild pitch to turn a two run lead into a two run deficet. That's about the dumbest thing I have heard.

colleyvillesooner
7/26/2006, 09:52 PM
Mike Young saved your *** Coco. Tomorrow's an off day. Go buy him car.

colleyvillesooner
7/26/2006, 09:54 PM
Tex singles, men at 1st and 3rd, tie game 6-6. no outs.

Everyone else in the West one. Let's please not get swept by the Yanks.

colleyvillesooner
7/26/2006, 09:55 PM
And that's how it's supposed to work.

Young, Tex and Blaylock with big hits late in the game.

7-6 Rangers. no outs Bottom 8th.

colleyvillesooner
7/26/2006, 10:11 PM
Giambi homers to make it 8-7 Yanks.

**** me.

jk the sooner fan
7/26/2006, 10:12 PM
and now Otsuka gives up a 2 run homer to give the Yankees the lead back

:(

GrapevineSooner
7/26/2006, 10:27 PM
[Rangers fan]I hate the Yankees.[/Rangers fan]

Pathetic.

Absolutely pathetic.

Outside of Michael Young and GMJ, this team has no heart.

GDC
7/26/2006, 10:50 PM
http://sneakykitchen.com/fullerbrush/images/household_broom.jpg

AllAboutThe'O'
7/26/2006, 11:19 PM
http://www.bankofdooly.com/images/sweep.jpg
Just wait till the Tigers or Twins lay the broom on you in the playoffs. Hopefully, the Red Sox knock you out of the East division title as well.
And I'll pull for Crazy Ozzie before I pull for Steinbrenner's mercenaries.
That's just like waving a red flag in front of an enraged bull right now; I'm not in the mood for any funny stuff.
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

AllAboutThe'O'
7/26/2006, 11:21 PM
Why can we come off the All-Star break and split four games at Baltimore and win two of three at Toronto. Why can we win three games at Fenway Park and win both series at the home of the defending World Series champions.

BUT WE CAN'T BUY A FREAKIN' WIN AT HOME AGAINST THE FREAKIN' YANKEES?

That's what's costing us the division right now.
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

AllAboutThe'O'
7/27/2006, 12:05 AM
OK, it's midnight. The start of a new day.
My voice is hoarse from yelling out in the street across from my workplace. My voice is hoarse from cursing the names of J****, **** *********, B*****, Balco G***** and Torre and S***********. I've cursed that team and I've cursed our wretched team for not getting the job done at home, not just against the Y****** but we have a freakin' losing record at home all season. Something's not right.

But anyway, I digress......

Time to turn the page. Time to turn over a new leaf. And it starts Friday when the Royals come to town. Let's start taking care of business right now. Let's not worry about what the A's and Angels and Mariners are doing. Let's just focus on the Texas Rangers, and let the chips fall where they may.

Goodnight, fellow Ranger fans.

Gandalf_The_Grey
7/27/2006, 12:47 AM
The Yankee's hate us!!! Seriously remember that Playoff series a few years back where our pitchers held them to like 7 runs in 5 games and we still lost 4-1 :P

soonerjoker
7/27/2006, 07:23 AM
2 blown saves & a loss for the bull pen.

GrapevineSooner
7/27/2006, 07:50 AM

What an astute observation. :rolleyes:

colleyvillesooner
7/27/2006, 08:43 AM

Another worthless post.

Oh, sorry, I was just following your lead and posting what everyone in this thread already knows.

GrapevineSooner
7/27/2006, 10:18 AM
next, he's going to tell us the Rangers have lost four in a row. ;)

mrowl
7/27/2006, 02:24 PM
I don't know what to do. Daniels made a good point of saying that he would like the players he has to start playing to their potential.

AllAboutThe'O'
7/27/2006, 07:05 PM
Hey 'Joker, how're them Dodgers doing these days? Huh?
Maybe you should worry about your team instead of worrying about someone else's.

AllAboutThe'O'
7/27/2006, 07:06 PM
optimism spek to a true fan who is true to his team
Thanks, and I have the really raspy hoarse voice today to prove it.:(

AllAboutThe'O'
7/27/2006, 07:19 PM
I'm still wearing my Ranger cap as I type this.

The rejuvenation starts tomorrow night. Can't wait.

jk the sooner fan
7/27/2006, 07:19 PM
last nite told me that we need to be sellers in this trade market

at best, we might win the west with a trade, but certainly no more than that

i'd put the following on the block:

Mench, Wilkerson, Blalock.....and for the right player, I'd put GMJ in a trade deal.

BeetDigger
7/27/2006, 09:43 PM

Mench, Wilkerson, Blalock.....and for the right player, I'd put GMJ in a trade deal.

For the right player? Mathews has had one good year: this one. I don't doubt Daniels would trade him for the right player in a heart beat. I can't think that Mathews will produce at this level for a few years much less get better. I think you should enjoy his production now. He is the definition of Journeyman.

Look at Mench's and Blalock's stats. Their best years were two years ago. I would think that buyers would be leary of guys who may have peaked. That said, left handed hitters with power always draw interest so Blalock could bring some interesting prospects for a team needing a lefty who is very good defensively. But both are still young and the young pitching is still developing in Frisco and Ok. City, so it might be the best to just stand pat and play the hand they have.

For the Rangers, it's just too bad that Rogers did what he did. Otherwise, he would probably be with them and quite frankly, he could be the difference for the Rangers in the AL .500 (or West) this year.

Gandalf_The_Grey
7/27/2006, 09:55 PM
Players like Kinsler, Young, DeRosa, Matthews have great value for lots of reasons. They are all so versatile. You can put Matthews in Right, Center, or Left and have one of the best fielders in the league at that position. Matthews doesn't strike out alot so the defense of the either team has to be prepared to play defense. He can bat and be effective in any lineup anywhere from Leadoff to 2nd to even a very ABOVE average 5-9 hitter. Matthews has tons of trade value because you can plug him in. Take the Yankees, let's say Matsui or Sheffield doesn't make it back. He is an upgrade defensively and he adds speed to the Yankees.

colleyvillesooner
7/27/2006, 10:06 PM
For the Rangers, it's just too bad that Rogers did what he did. Otherwise, he would probably be with them and quite frankly, he could be the difference for the Rangers in the AL .500 (or West) this year.

Hold the boat on that one. Let's see how he finishes the season. He's a notorious 2nd half fade, especially the last couple of years. In his three starts after the break, he has 2 no decision, 1 L, given up over 4 runs a game.

IN 2005, after the break he went, ND, ND, missed 2 starts, L, L, L, ND, W, ND, W, ND, W, L. His ERA went up a run.

2005: 10-4 before; 4-4 after the break.

2004: 12-3 before, 6-6 after the break.

2003: 7-5 before, 6-3 after the break.

2002: 9-5 before, 4-3 after the break.

Gandalf_The_Grey
7/27/2006, 10:14 PM
Plus I am pretty stoked about Koronka, Rheinecker, Loe get me excited because they seem like they have awesome potential down the road. Even Eaton and Padilla haven't cracked 30 yet so they have some years left on their arms.

Scott D
7/27/2006, 10:36 PM
last nite told me that we need to be sellers in this trade market

at best, we might win the west with a trade, but certainly no more than that

the player with the most value on your roster is Michael Young, point blank.

Gandalf_The_Grey
7/27/2006, 10:39 PM
Well no **** ;)

mrowl
7/28/2006, 08:48 AM
the player with the most value on your roster is Michael Young, point blank.

yes, but there is no way he goes anywhere. He will get a huge deal from the Rangers in '08.

jk the sooner fan
7/28/2006, 09:13 AM
Well no **** ;)

my thoughts exactly.......we want to KEEP Michael Young

mrowl
7/28/2006, 09:19 AM
I agree with the hardline.

I would give up GMJ and Diamond for Vernon Wells.

soonerjoker
7/28/2006, 09:39 AM
dodgers have gone from medicore to miserable. i concede that they're much
worse than the rangers.

but this is a rangers board, so i like to comment on rangers.

some of you are too quick to give up. they still have about 60 games to play.

Beef
7/28/2006, 10:14 AM
Carlos Lee for Cordero, Mench and Nix. Works for me. Thanks for the great work before this year.

colleyvillesooner
7/28/2006, 10:37 AM
Carlos Lee for Cordero, Mench and Nix. Works for me. Thanks for the great work before this year.

That works for me too. Cordero's confidence here is shot, Mench had underachieved, and NIx doen;t play.

Lee has 28 homers and 81 RBI. I like the deal.

Beef
7/28/2006, 10:46 AM
That works for me too. Cordero's confidence here is shot, Mench had underachieved, and NIx doen;t play.

Lee has 28 homers and 81 RBI. I like the deal.
If Cordero gets his mojo back and the Rangers can't sign Lee, this will look like a bad trade. I just don't see Cordero ever getting it back together in Texas. Best of luck to him, though. He was never boring to watch.

Paperclip
7/28/2006, 10:57 AM
I was in interested in Carlos Lee for the Tigers. Congrats Ranger fans.

jk the sooner fan
7/28/2006, 11:21 AM
bring in another arm and i'll be happy with the trade

GrapevineSooner
7/28/2006, 11:21 AM
Dear Carlos Lee,

If you think you could put up great numbers in Milwaukee, just wait until you play regularly at the AL's version of Coors Field.

Sincerely,

Ranger fans

mrowl
7/28/2006, 01:09 PM
Dear Carlos Lee,

Recently, some of your new team-mates have forgotten how to hit the ball with men in scoring position. Please don't follow this trend.

Sincerely,

Ranger Fans

GrapevineSooner
7/28/2006, 01:14 PM
Dear Ranger Fans,

I have 81 RBIs right now. Trust me, driving in runs shouldn't be much of a problem for me.

Sincerely,

Carlos Lee

Mjcpr
7/28/2006, 01:15 PM
Isn't he a FA at the end of the year?

GrapevineSooner
7/28/2006, 01:19 PM
Dear Mjcpr,

Yes, I am a free agent after this year.

Sincerely,

Carlos Lee

jk the sooner fan
7/28/2006, 01:20 PM
yes

Dear Fans in this thread,

stop posting like you're writing a letter from somebody else to other people, its silly

Sincerely,

me

Mjcpr
7/28/2006, 01:21 PM
Did I stumble upon one of those themed threds like BRJ has?

I mean.....

Dear General Sports Folder Posters,

Did I stumble upon one of those themed threds like BRJ has?

Sincerely,

Mjcpr

colleyvillesooner
7/28/2006, 01:23 PM
Dear Ranger Fans,

I have 81 RBIs right now. Trust me, driving in runs shouldn't be much of a problem for me.

Sincerely,

Carlos Lee

P.S.

If those **** sticks ahead of me get their act together and get on base. XxoOxXXoXXx

BeetDigger
7/28/2006, 01:25 PM
If Cordero gets his mojo back and the Rangers can't sign Lee, this will look like a bad trade. I just don't see Cordero ever getting it back together in Texas. Best of luck to him, though. He was never boring to watch.

The key is the signing of Lee. You would think that Daniels discussed it with him and feels pretty good that they can work out a long term deal with Lee. I can't think, as a first year GM, he would take THAT big of a risk.

I always liked Nix. I thought he would be a very, very good player. Inconsistency brought on by injuries seems to be his story. He's Gabe Kapler Jr. The Rangers had another CF prospect that showed promise. However a couple of years ago they gave up on him and traded him. I can't remember his name. I beleive they converted him from middle infield to CF.

Beef
7/28/2006, 01:37 PM
I think it was Meyer or someone like that. I know who you're talking about. He was a first round pick as a middle infielder when we had A-Rod and Young in the middle infield. I thought it was a strange pick when they made it. Even by Rangers standards.

colleyvillesooner
7/28/2006, 01:46 PM
I also like that we were able to do this without losing any of the DVD prospects.

jk the sooner fan
7/28/2006, 01:50 PM
we'll have to cut one of those lose to bring a pitcher in here though

colleyvillesooner
7/28/2006, 01:51 PM
we'll have to cut one of those lose to bring a pitcher in here though

I'm ok with that. Arm for an arm is ok. I'd deal Diamond first.

Gandalf_The_Grey
7/28/2006, 01:54 PM
I think they were hurting Laynce Nix anyway, he was ready to play everyday and there really wasn't a position for him anyway except at Triple A. Lee is a much better hitter than Mench, although replacing Mench in the clubhouse will be difficult. The loss of Cordero improves the pen ;)

colleyvillesooner
7/28/2006, 01:55 PM
Lee is a much better hitter than Mench, although replacing Mench in the clubhouse will be difficult.

I'm sure they can find a TV to play Shrek on in there.

Scott D
7/28/2006, 02:03 PM
my thoughts exactly.......we want to KEEP Michael Young

well your post was from the perspective of the Rangers being sellers not buyers, hence Young would be the main thing that buyers would be after.

Clearly the deal they pulled off today shows that as of now, the Rangers consider themselves to be buyers instead of sellers.

Beef
7/28/2006, 02:04 PM
I would hate to see them give up any of the DVD group for a trade deadline acquisition.The Rangers would need to add Zito and Maddux to be competitive for the World Series this year. This team is a lot further than one good starter from winning it all. Lee will help the offense some, but the bullpen is still a disaster, even with Coco leaving town.

jk the sooner fan
7/28/2006, 02:05 PM
clearly

but they didnt trade away their future

basically they've rented a bat for 10 weeks, if we win the west, then we face the redsox or yankees in a division series.....and without another STRONG arm, its just a playoff appearance

mind you, i think its important for this team to learn how to win their division, i really do, but realistically we're not that good a team.....we're just average

but i'm still a big fan!

colleyvillesooner
7/28/2006, 02:14 PM
basically they've rented a bat for 10 weeks, if we win the west, then we face the redsox or yankees in a division series.....and without another STRONG arm, its just a playoff appearance

Everyone in the West wants Detroit to win their divison, and Chicago to win the wild card. Since Det would have the best record, and they can't play the White Sox, they'll play the team with the worst record, probably from the West. I'd rather play Det than the Redsox/Yankees or the White Sox.

I think that's right.

GrapevineSooner
7/28/2006, 03:07 PM
Well, I felt better as a Red Sox fan about playing the relatively inexperienced White Sox in the first round as opposed to the Angels.

And we all know how that worked out. ;)

Scott D
7/28/2006, 03:51 PM
I'd feel better about playing the White Sox right now...since our pitching appeared to take off for the season early :mad:

soonerinabilene
7/28/2006, 05:05 PM
personally, i hope they at least tried to deal wilkerson instead mench first. maybe the brewers didnt take that, and they had to put in mench instead. i know that mench has underperformed, but he is great in the clubhouse. and all wilkerson does is help pitchers up their strikeout total. my main question is, if you are going to trade away a guy like mench, why not make that offer to the cubs for maddux first and see if they take it. they could use coco in the bullpen, nix is a good prospect, and they could use a guy with mench's leadership abilities. that would have been a much bigger addition for us than lee. we still have the ability in the clubhouse to score runs. what we for sure dont have is 3 guys that can make solid starts in a row.

AllAboutThe'O'
7/28/2006, 07:29 PM
The key is the signing of Lee. You would think that Daniels discussed it with him and feels pretty good that they can work out a long term deal with Lee. I can't think, as a first year GM, he would take THAT big of a risk.

I always liked Nix. I thought he would be a very, very good player. Inconsistency brought on by injuries seems to be his story. He's Gabe Kapler Jr. The Rangers had another CF prospect that showed promise. However a couple of years ago they gave up on him and traded him. I can't remember his name. I beleive they converted him from middle infield to CF.
I agree with your assessments.
As far as Lee goes, we know that Mr. Hicks is going to do everything in his power to re-sign him; provided that he does what he was brought here to do down the stretch.
I was a big Nix guy, too, but yeah, injuries just ravaged his tenure with the Rangers. If nothing else, he does have a soft spot in my heart for one thing: The big two-homer game he had the night we beat the Yankees at home (yes, there was a time we actually beat the Yanks on our home turf) back in 2004, the first night we welcomed **** ********* back to our old stomping grounds and gave him (at least I did) the full boos. Still one of the greatest wins in franchise history IMO.
Nix is another outfielder that the Rangers have developed in recent years that didn't live up to the potential. Other notable names in that list include Ruben Mateo and Ramon Nivar.

AllAboutThe'O'
7/28/2006, 08:08 PM
And Mr. Lee makes a big impact right out of the gate. First-inning single helps set up the Rangers' first run.
Unfortunately, we've allowed two runs in the second and trail 3-1.:(

AllAboutThe'O'
7/28/2006, 08:10 PM
Make it 5-1. Our defense is letting us down all of a sudden.

AllAboutThe'O'
7/28/2006, 08:11 PM
Oops, now 6-1.
All of the pundits now are saying, "See, what did I tell you? The Rangers always upgrade their offense, but they never do anything about their pitching or defense."
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

mrowl
7/28/2006, 08:11 PM
WHAT THE F.!?!>>!????????/

DeRosa misses a ball, BMJ misses a ball...

GrapevineSooner
7/29/2006, 11:00 PM
This.
Is.
Pathetic.

colleyvillesooner
7/30/2006, 01:00 AM
Can we get swept by the worst team in baseball?

BeetDigger
7/30/2006, 08:31 PM
I agree with your assessments.
As far as Lee goes, we know that Mr. Hicks is going to do everything in his power to re-sign him; provided that he does what he was brought here to do down the stretch.
I was a big Nix guy, too, but yeah, injuries just ravaged his tenure with the Rangers. If nothing else, he does have a soft spot in my heart for one thing: The big two-homer game he had the night we beat the Yankees at home (yes, there was a time we actually beat the Yanks on our home turf) back in 2004, the first night we welcomed **** ********* back to our old stomping grounds and gave him (at least I did) the full boos. Still one of the greatest wins in franchise history IMO.
Nix is another outfielder that the Rangers have developed in recent years that didn't live up to the potential. Other notable names in that list include Ruben Mateo and Ramon Nivar.

Ramon Nivar was the name I could not remember. The Rangers had high hopes for him but he never panned out, or more accurately they decided they couldn't give him any more time to develop, and Nix showed more near term potential so they traded Nivar. Jason Botts is a guy I watched in Frisco. He has been up with them from time to time in Arlington. I think he is almost too big to be an outfielder but that will be the only place for him unless he can play third and they decide to trade Blalock. Only Young and Tex are untouchable according to Daniels.

mrowl
7/30/2006, 08:54 PM
bats are waking up.

rangers, 11-2 4th inning

colleyvillesooner
7/30/2006, 10:07 PM
bats are waking up.

rangers, 11-2 4th inning

That doesn't impress me when the bats take two games to wake up against the worst team in baseball. :O

hurricane'bone
7/30/2006, 10:14 PM
Ramon Nivar was the name I could not remember. The Rangers had high hopes for him but he never panned out, or more accurately they decided they couldn't give him any more time to develop, and Nix showed more near term potential so they traded Nivar. Jason Botts is a guy I watched in Frisco. He has been up with them from time to time in Arlington. I think he is almost too big to be an outfielder but that will be the only place for him unless he can play third and they decide to trade Blalock. Only Young and Tex are untouchable according to Daniels.

ESPN is saying Blalock for Brad Lidge is on the table.

Paperclip
7/30/2006, 10:50 PM
Ah yes, Ruben Mateo, a "can't miss five tool player".

Gandalf_The_Grey
7/30/2006, 11:02 PM
I knew Ruben Mateo was going to suck the first time I saw him play... That guy looked like he never cared.

BeetDigger
7/31/2006, 09:44 AM
ESPN is saying Blalock for Brad Lidge is on the table.

If I am the Rangers, I am not sure that I would do this deal, even if they throw in Ensberg. Blalock, even if his numbers are starting to slide a bit, will still be a very good third baseman for a number of years. Pitchers can become headcases and be done in a year. Lidge isn't the same guy since Albert smacked him.

BeetDigger
7/31/2006, 10:19 AM
Astros upset over failed Tejada deal
Story Tools:
Print Email Blog This Subscribe
Ken Rosenthal / FOXSports.com
Posted: 1 hour ago

It was going to be a blockbuster — Orioles shortstop Miguel Tejada for Astros right-hander Roy Oswalt, shortstop Adam Everett and a third player.

The Astros believed that such a deal was close Friday night, but barring a last-minute shift, Oswalt won't be going anywhere, and Tejada might not be, either.
The Rangers continue to pursue Tejada, according to a major-league official, but the Astros and Angels no longer are engaging in active discussions with the Orioles.

The Astros, major-league sources say, are steamed that Orioles owner Peter Angelos apparently quashed the original Oswalt-Tejada deal as well as several revised proposals.

But there may have been another issue.

The Astros, one major-league executive says, feared that the Orioles would flip Oswalt, their most prized acquisition for Tejada, to Houston's cross-state rival, the Texas Rangers.

A National League executive disputes that theory, saying the Astros "knew all along" that the Orioles were trying to flip Oswalt. The executive says that the Orioles indiscreetly shopped all of the players they were offered to other clubs, calling it "no way to do business."

The Orioles apparently intended to trade Oswalt to the Rangers for third baseman Hank Blalock, Class AAA shortstop Joaquin Arias and one of the Rangers' top three pitching prospects – left-hander John Danks, right-hander Thomas Diamond or right-hander Edison Volquez.

The Orioles also would have ended up with two other players from the Astros – Everett and possibly third baseman Morgan Ensberg – effectively making the deal a 5-for-1 for Tejada.

Presumably, the Orioles then would have spun one of the third basemen, Blalock or Ensberg, or moved one of them to first, while moving their current third baseman, Melvin Mora, back to the outfield.

At one point Sunday, the Rangers appeared to be closing in on a trade for Phillies right-hander Jon Lieber, but were diverted by their pursuit of Oswalt.

For the Astros, losing Oswalt to the Rangers could have been a public-relations nightmare, evoking memories of when Nolan Ryan went from Houston to Texas. The Astros had similar concerns when Roger Clemens was courted by the Rangers as a free agent last spring.

However, a second N.L. executive says the Astros would have been less concerned about Oswalt going to the Rangers than their biggest N.L. Central rival, the Cardinals.

While the Astros' inclusion of Oswalt in the Tejada discussions seems shocking, this almost certainly will not be the last time Oswalt's name surfaces in trade discussions.

Oswalt, 28, is a free agent after the 2007 season. He is expected to seek a contract of at least five years. And his injury history and slight, 6-foot, 185-pound frame make him a long-term risk.

As for Tejada, the Orioles still have a chance to trade him to the Rangers for a similar package, a major-league official says. But that might be their only chance to complete a Tejada blockbuster.

The Angels, who offered the Orioles a package of right-hander Ervin Santana and Class AAA shortstop Erick Aybar for Tejada, also have pulled out of the Tejada discussions, the official says.

The Dodgers are not actively pursuing Tejada, other sources say.

Interesting stuff. Daniels is more serious than I thought.

That last line is hilarious. Its not as easy to hate the Dodgers with Tommy Lasorda but a faded memory. Just once, ONCE, I would have loved to see Johnny Bench clock Lasorda when he came out to argue balls and strikes with the home plate ump.

GrapevineSooner
7/31/2006, 11:33 AM
The Astros, one major-league executive says, feared that the Orioles would flip Oswalt, their most prized acquisition for Tejada, to Houston's cross-state rival, the Texas Rangers.

Like the article mentions later, why would the Astros care if Oswalt was traded to Rangers? That would be infinitely better than facing the prospect of facing him six times a year if he got dealt to a divisional rival.

colleyvillesooner
7/31/2006, 02:50 PM
Rangers acquired Matt Stairs from KC for a AAA Pitcher Joselo Diaz (http://www.oklahomaredhawks.com/index.cfm?fa=team.roster&ra=profile&player_id=407872).

colleyvillesooner
7/31/2006, 02:54 PM
The Ticket is also saying that the Rangers traded for Pittsburg's Kip Wells. That one isn't official yet.

colleyvillesooner
7/31/2006, 03:19 PM
Article on both:

MINNEAPOLIS – The Rangers completed two deals in the final 30 minutes of the waivers-free trading period Monday, adding right-hander Kip Wells from Pittsburgh and veteran designated hitter-outfielder Matt Stairs from Kansas City.

Though trades must be completed by 3 p.m., they could be announced later in the day because Major League Baseball must approve the deals.

The Rangers gave up minor league pitchers Joselo Diaz for Stairs and Jesse Chavez for Wells.

Wells, 29, who attended Baylor, was 1-5 with a 6.69 ERA in seven starts for Pittsburgh this season. He missed the first 2½ months of the season while recovering from a blood clot in his arm. In Wells’ most recent start on Saturday, he pitched seven shutout innings against San Francisco to earn his first win of the year. Wells spent three years with the Chicago White Sox before joining Pittsburgh. He is 18-26 with a 6.04 ERA against AL teams in his career.

It’s uncertain when he will join the starting rotation. His next scheduled day to pitch is Thursday, but that’s Kevin Millwood’s scheduled day.

Stairs was hitting .268 with eight homers and 32 RBIs this season. He could play some DH against right-handed pitchers and could be used as a pinch-hitting option off the bench.

Diaz, who was signed as a minor league free agent before the season, was 2-0 with four saves and a 2.40 ERA in a season split between Double-A Frisco and Triple-A Oklahoma.

Scott D
7/31/2006, 03:53 PM
heh Matt Stairs.....Pete Incaviglia part deux...without the home runs ;)

GrapevineSooner
7/31/2006, 04:32 PM
Yeah, the acquisition of Stairs is rather confounding.

Gandalf_The_Grey
7/31/2006, 05:03 PM
It kind of seems like Stairs is one of those...we can get him cheap and he improves depth and gives us options in the late innings sort of things. The Oswalt thing is confusing to me....Oswalt...semi young super talented pitcher isn't enough for an aging shortstop who isn't going to be productive in another year(Tejada)?

mrowl
7/31/2006, 05:17 PM

isn't he the 52 year old who was playing first for KC?

BeetDigger
7/31/2006, 05:34 PM

However, it does not approach the ineptitude of Washington and Baltimore. At least Baltimore can chalk it up to a stupid owner. In Washington, Bowden got greedy with Soriano and ended up with nothing. Oh sure, he gets Soriano for the remainder of the year. But who cares? They aren't going anywhere and they lose him at the end of the year. Bowden didn't want to give the impression of being fleeced, so he didn't make a deal.

Message to Jim Bowden: the saying that "sometimes the best deal is one that you don't make" only applies to situations where you are going to give up a lot for something you really want and then decide to not do it. That, however, was not the situation you were in. In your case, getting a guy or two who are going to be with the franchise for a few years plus the opportunity to open up left field for a youngster who may end up developing is much better than keeping Soriano. Better make those draft picks count, cause that is your compensation for Soriano.

colleyvillesooner
7/31/2006, 09:37 PM
Hold the boat on that one. Let's see how he finishes the season. He's a notorious 2nd half fade, especially the last couple of years. In his three starts after the break, he has 2 no decision, 1 L, given up over 4 runs a game.

IN 2005, after the break he went, ND, ND, missed 2 starts, L, L, L, ND, W, ND, W, ND, W, L. His ERA went up a run.

*AHEM*

Tonights line for Rogers:

5 innings, 5 hits 6 runs, 5 ER, 4 walks 2 HR.

ERA is up to 4.63, almost a run higher than before the break.

Running total: Before 11-3. After 0-2

I'll keep an eye on this, win or lose.

colleyvillesooner
7/31/2006, 09:48 PM
Oh, and the Rangers got the the ever living **** beat out of them 15-2. Tex had a nice game though. :O

Hellooooooooo last place. :mad:

Gandalf_The_Grey
7/31/2006, 10:21 PM
Did I start an Avatar trend ;)

colleyvillesooner
7/31/2006, 11:10 PM
heh, just freaking her out. :D

BeetDigger
8/1/2006, 12:10 AM
*AHEM*

Substitute a 10-3 Rogers (or whatever he was before the break) for just about any other Ranger starter and then think about the standings going into the break. Not a perfect analysis, but the point is that I think regardless of where Rogers finishes the year, and the year is far from over, the beggining of the year for him is much better than the beggining of the year for most other Ranger starter on the club now. The Rangers could have been looking at a couple of game lead going into the break with him. I'm not saying that the Rangers did anything wrong with not offering him a chance to return. It's just too bad that Rogers was an *** last year to the camerman.

colleyvillesooner
8/1/2006, 08:54 AM
Substitute a 10-3 Rogers (or whatever he was before the break) for just about any other Ranger starter and then think about the standings going into the break. Not a perfect analysis, but the point is that I think regardless of where Rogers finishes the year, and the year is far from over, the beggining of the year for him is much better than the beggining of the year for most other Ranger starter on the club now. The Rangers could have been looking at a couple of game lead going into the break with him. I'm not saying that the Rangers did anything wrong with not offering him a chance to return. It's just too bad that Rogers was an *** last year to the camerman.

Yeah and with his tailspin in the second half it would have ****ed me off even more when we blew a couple game lead after the break. :D

mrowl
8/1/2006, 11:11 AM
Its time to start talking about the replacement for Buck.

And how VERY over-rated Rudy Jaramillo is.

mrowl
8/1/2006, 11:20 AM
Bob Brenly? :D

Rusty Greer
Orel Hershiser
Lou Pinella

The way these guys have been playing lately sounds like Buck has lost them.

jk the sooner fan
8/1/2006, 01:26 PM
he's got a brand new team, i'd give him another season before i canned him

but i'd sure as hell be thinking about it

colleyvillesooner
8/1/2006, 08:18 PM
Mathews CRUSHES one for a Grand Slam and Micahel young makes it back-to-back HR's to chase out the pitcher.

Rangers - 8
Twins - 0
Top 4

mrowl
8/1/2006, 08:19 PM
WOW. This has been fun. :D

mrowl
8/1/2006, 08:27 PM
Shouldn't Matt Stairs be playing in a Beer league somewhere? :D

He may actually be good for this team though.

colleyvillesooner
8/1/2006, 08:29 PM
Shouldn't Matt Stairs be playing in a Beer league somewhere? :D

He may actually be good for this team though.

Yeah, when josh said "This may score two" I thought "He must not remember that Staris would be that second run." Not. Gonna. Happen. :D

Paperclip
8/1/2006, 09:23 PM
Go Rangers!

AllAboutThe'O'
8/2/2006, 02:35 AM
The Rangers won't have to worry about facing Liriano later this afternoon. He's a late scratch, and the immortal Boof Bonser will take the hill for the Twins instead.
But I'm still worried, because we've mentally prepared to take on Liriano for the past few days only to see someone else throw instead. And being the longtime Ranger fan I am, I'll throw another name at you:

Mauro "Goose" Gozzo. Who?
Gozzo was a journeyman minor league pitcher who came up with the Blue Jays and faced the Rangers in a 1989 start at SkyDome. Before the game, I was laughing when I heard who we were facing; that, and the name of the guy.
Well, it wasn't so funny when he shut our bats down. To this day, I use the verb being "Gozzo-ed," when a team faces an unknown pitcher who ends up throwing the game of his life. Can we say that we might be set up to be "Boof-ed" later today? Geez, I hope not.

Paperclip
8/2/2006, 08:30 AM
The Rangers won't have to worry about facing Liriano later this afternoon. He's a late scratch, and the immortal Boof Bonser will take the hill for the Twins instead.

The cute, yet unassuming love interest from Teen Wolf?

colleyvillesooner
8/2/2006, 08:37 AM
http://www.fast-rewind.com/teenwolf4.jpg

BeetDigger
8/2/2006, 10:48 AM
The Rangers won't have to worry about facing Liriano later this afternoon.

Don't under estimate the importance of this. The difference in the west could be a game or two and only having to face Liriano and Santana once (in the series in Texas) rather than twice or three times could be the difference. For example, the Mariners had to face the two of them a total of five times this year.

CrimsonHelmet
8/2/2006, 12:38 PM
"...Mauro "Goose" Gozzo. Who?...."

Know the feeling.

On August 7, 1976 went to Arlington with a bunch of guys to see Texas play Minnesota.

Twinkies threw some guy named Steve Luebber. Never heard of him.

After six innings of no-hit ball, we began to chant: "Who the hell is Steve Luebber?"

The chant continued through the seventh, eighth and into the bottom of the ninth.

With two out in the ninth, Roy Lee Howell doubled to right to break up the no-hitter. The next hitter (I think it was Toby Harrah), singled home Howell to score Texas' only run. A reliever came in and got the last out, Twinkies won 3-1.

That was the highlight of Luebber's career. Never did much before or after.

Was Frisco's pitching coach until last year.

colleyvillesooner
8/2/2006, 04:25 PM
W

mrowl
8/2/2006, 06:00 PM
yea? :(

AllAboutThe'O'
8/3/2006, 03:11 AM
Well, the Rangers didn't get "Boofed" on Wednesday but Bomar sure "Boofed" us. Indeed, a day of mixed emotions.

mrowl
8/3/2006, 07:00 AM
4 against anaheim angels of LA.

RANGERS. PLEASE. give me something to celebrate this weekend? :D :pop:

colleyvillesooner
8/3/2006, 10:55 PM
up 3-1 in the sixth. Milwood has only given up a homer to Vlad.

colleyvillesooner
8/3/2006, 11:06 PM
GMJ thorws a man out at home to end the inning and save a run.

3-2 Rangers end of 6.

hurricane'bone
8/3/2006, 11:09 PM
GMJ thorws a man out at home to end the inning and save a run.

3-2 Rangers end of 6.

That didn't end the inning but it was still the awesome.

And I was about to punch you in the face (through the moniter of course) if you had jinxed us.

GrapevineSooner
8/4/2006, 12:32 AM
Damn you, Rick Bauer. :mad:

GrapevineSooner
8/4/2006, 12:38 AM
And an almost-damn you, Wes Littleton.

If you're going to throw inside to Vlad, make sure it hits him.

AllAboutThe'O'
8/4/2006, 02:18 AM
I think Littleton could become our new CoCo before it's all said and done.
Just glad to open the key series at the Big A with the big W.
And I'll go on record to say that GMJ's throw from center was a bigger defensive play than the catch he made over the wall to rob Mike Lamb of a homer. While it was highlight-reel material and a fantastic catch, we still lost that game 7-0. Tonight, we wouldn't have gone into extra innings without that play from GMJ, done in a critical spot in a critical game of a critical series. And equal credit to Barajas for applying the tag.
Another observation: This time, it seemed like we got the breaks from the umpiring crew. We had a few calls go our way tonight, and while we weren't able to take advantage of some of them (like Tex getting the ball call on the strike two pitch from K-Rod in the 9th), we had no right to complain about the men in blue tonight.
Hope we can get at least a couple of more wins this weekend and continue to defy the power of the Rally Monkey.

GrapevineSooner
8/4/2006, 09:23 AM
We had a few calls go our way tonight, and while we weren't able to take advantage of some of them (like Tex getting the ball call on the strike two pitch from K-Rod in the 9th), we had no right to complain about the men in blue tonight.

We were due some calls. ;)

That's all I say. :D

Gutty win after blowing the lead in the 8th. Sure would have liked to have been the first team to tag Weaver with an L, though.

mrowl
8/4/2006, 10:03 PM
I am really starting to like this lineup. (of course Brad and Rod aren't playing tonight, which is a plus for me)

colleyvillesooner
8/5/2006, 09:20 AM
Good guys win again 7-3.

If we get quality outings from Milwood, Padilla, Eaton and Wells, we're a different team.

GrapevineSooner
8/5/2006, 12:21 PM
4 in a row.

Starting to climb back into this thing. At this point, though, nothing less than taking 3 out of 4 from the Halos will be acceptable. If you lose the next two, you've just cancelled out whatever momentum you generated from the first two games of this series.

AllAboutThe'O'
8/5/2006, 09:09 PM
Well, we canceled half our momentum with our loss today. Not too unexpected, though.
But please, don't let Rex Hudler call any more of our games. Yes, he knows the Angels because he's their color man, but interviewing the Angel longtime season-ticket holder in the stands and discussing the cut of the grass in the stadium was a little too overboard. This may be the first time in history that Joe Buck actually mutters to himself, "And I thought McCarver was tough to work with."

colleyvillesooner
8/6/2006, 09:55 PM
Weird game. Eaton gets tossed in the first inning for throwing behind a guy. And now, Kip Wells was sent home to have the doctors look at soreness in his pitching shoulder. And the "V' in DVD is gonna get called up to replace him.

AllAboutThe'O'
8/6/2006, 10:37 PM
Weird game. Eaton gets tossed in the first inning for throwing behind a guy. And now, Kip Wells was sent home to have the doctors look at soreness in his pitching shoulder. And the "V' in DVD is gonna get called up to replace him.
So does that mean the leftover pitching prospects in OKC can now be referred to as the Double D's?

colleyvillesooner
8/7/2006, 10:38 PM
*AHEM*

Another no decision over the weekend for Kenny.

7 innings, 4 hits, 3 runs, 3 walks and 2 HR.

ERA 4.59

Running total : Before break 11-3, After 0-2, 3 no decisions.

colleyvillesooner
8/7/2006, 10:41 PM
Good game going in Oakland. Hank homers to bring it to one run.

Rangers 3
A's 4
Bottom 6th

Volquez pitching ok. Grooved one in the Ellis in the 3rd for a 2 run shot.
5 hits, 4 runs, 2 BB, 4 SO.

mrowl
8/8/2006, 06:44 AM
does anyone else think we need to consider Eatons outside pitch a nominee for the 2006 catastrophic moment?

suck.

jk the sooner fan
8/8/2006, 07:51 AM
i've seen other pitchers do it and not get tossed like that, i think because it was so early in the game, perhaps the ump just decided - "no way, not today"

but yeah, stupid.....get a few innings into the game and then play some chin music if you think its appropriate

while the chances are still there, i think we're out of it......i think our pitching staff has shot its wad

colleyvillesooner
8/8/2006, 08:58 AM
while the chances are still there, i think we're out of it......i think our pitching staff has shot its wad

It's really starting to feel that way. If we don't win the next two against Oakland, I may just count us out.

BeetDigger
8/8/2006, 09:16 AM

ERA 4.59

I am not sure if you are wanting Rogers to lose because you dislike him or want him to lose because you want to feel good that he isn't with the Rangers. I guess I don't understand the agenda here.

Personally, I don't remember him being a terrible second half pitcher. I do remember him being a guy that didn't handle the playoffs well however.

Regardless, he is tons better than any pitcher on the roster not named Millwood or Padilla and I would argue that he is better than those two. Even if others don't agree, I don't think it's a stretch to say that he is far better than the numbers 3,4,5 starters that the Rangers have. And given that he has pitched an average of nearly an inning longer than any of those guys, he would have helped keep the pen that much fresher.

The Rangers had no choice but to let him go. Personally, I think that is too bad as I believe that Rogers on the staff could be the difference of two or three games in the standings.

colleyvillesooner
8/8/2006, 09:36 AM
I am not sure if you are wanting Rogers to lose because you dislike him or want him to lose because you want to feel good that he isn't with the Rangers. I guess I don't understand the agenda here.

No agenda. I've just heard that as his careers goes on, he's gotten worse in the second half. Plus, you stated that you thought he could be the difference here if he were still a Ranger. I disagreed, so, I thought I'd track it. Like I said, if he starts winning, I'll report that too. Don't care. And if he continues to slide as he did last year, him being on the Rangers wouldn't make that much different in the end. We'd just lose the division by 10 games, instead of 13 or 14. :D

As far as baseball goes, yes I'd love for him to be on the Rangers staff. Personally, he's a huge pile of ******.

jk the sooner fan
8/8/2006, 09:49 AM
why do you have to have an "agenda" to point out the obvious

jeezus not everything is so deep and complicated

i was willing to bet any tiger fan at the all star break that he woudlnt get more than 5 wins the rest of the season

no agenda, just my opinion

mrowl
8/8/2006, 10:16 AM
Kenny has never been a good 2nd half pitcher. his numbers explain it all.

BeetDigger
8/8/2006, 11:01 AM
No agenda. I've just heard that as his careers goes on, he's gotten worse in the second half. Plus, you stated that you thought he could be the difference here if he were still a Ranger. I disagreed, so, I thought I'd track it. Like I said, if he starts winning, I'll report that too. Don't care. And if he continues to slide as he did last year, him being on the Rangers wouldn't make that much different in the end. We'd just lose the division by 10 games, instead of 13 or 14. :D

As far as baseball goes, yes I'd love for him to be on the Rangers staff. Personally, he's a huge pile of ******.

Got ya. I just wondered why you were continuing to post his numbers.

Regarding his second half stats, do you have a site that breaks down his stats post all star break over his career? I would be curious to see how much he slides post break. Even is someone doesn't track it pre/post break a reasonable way to look at it would be first 15-18 starts of the year vs. last 15-18 starts.

BeetDigger
8/8/2006, 11:34 AM
why do you have to have an "agenda" to point out the obvious

jeezus not everything is so deep and complicated

i was willing to bet any tiger fan at the all star break that he woudlnt get more than 5 wins the rest of the season

no agenda, just my opinion

Stating an opinion is one thing. Continuing to post stats could be another thing. That's why I asked.

And if it is obvious, why post the stats? Personally, I don't know that it is that obvious. I've never seen the breakdown of numbers. Do you have a site that does this? If so, I'd like to see it. I don't know that Rogers being a bad second half pitcher is obvious to most fans. Right now, Rogers is the #4 or #5 starter on that team. Translating his stats to the Rangers, he is not too different from Millwood and Padilla, which would make him the #1 or #2 starter on the Rangers.

In fact, right now Rogers would be #2 on the team in ERA and Batting average against, #1 in walks/hits per inning pitched and #3 in innings pitched. Hard for me to believe that any Ranger fan would prefer that mess that is Karonka, Loe and Rheinecker to Rogers. Even if Rogers is a mediocre to poor second half pitcher, I bet his second half is better than K, L and Rh.

jk the sooner fan
8/8/2006, 11:46 AM
Continuing to post stats could be another thing.

ok, the stats are posted to back up the opinion

there's your agenda

GrapevineSooner
8/8/2006, 12:46 PM
ok, the stats are posted to back up the opinion

there's your agenda

To those who don't think it's obvious. ;)

BeetDigger
8/8/2006, 01:26 PM
I repeat my request, is there a site with his career second half stats? Not annecdotal evidence (which is just slightly ahead of "hearing it from some friends who are really big fans of the team so they must be right") and not based upon three or four games THIS year.

I think the only agenda around here is that if you don't agree with the other posters, you are wrong.

colleyvillesooner
8/8/2006, 01:35 PM
Well, I did this:
http://66.34.250.71/forums/showpost.php?p=1462478&postcount=580

I just used ESPN's game log for him and went back.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/gamelog?playerId=1834

BeetDigger
8/8/2006, 02:16 PM
Yahoo Stats has a Pre - Post All Star Break breakdown:

Pre followed by post stats:

Winning %: .613 .573
ERA: 4.27 4.18
WHIP: 1.41 1.38
BAA: .271 .265

Yahoo Stats (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/3974/splits;_ylt=ArpyiyslrpGQdznknKwE4ayFCLcF?year=care er&type=Pitching)

His winning percentage is down yet his other stats are down. To me, it looks like he performed better in the second half of the year, but his offensive support may not have been as good. I guess one could argue that the post ASB defense behind him was better.

Either way, it doesn't look like a smoking gun to say that he is a bad post all star break pitcher. At least it is not obvious :D to me.

colleyvillesooner
8/8/2006, 02:40 PM
Yahoo Stats has a Pre - Post All Star Break breakdown:

Pre followed by post stats:

Winning %: .613 .573
ERA: 4.27 4.18
WHIP: 1.41 1.38
BAA: .271 .265

Yahoo Stats (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/3974/splits;_ylt=ArpyiyslrpGQdznknKwE4ayFCLcF?year=care er&type=Pitching)

His winning percentage is down yet his other stats are down. To me, it looks like he performed better in the second half of the year, but his offensive support may not have been as good. I guess one could argue that the post ASB defense behind him was better.

Either way, it doesn't look like a smoking gun to say that he is a bad post all star break pitcher. At least it is not obvious :D to me.

Those stats go back to 1987. The last 5 years are a better sample of how he would pitch in the second half of the season this year.

jk the sooner fan
8/8/2006, 02:41 PM
whats beet's agenda for defending kenny ????

Gandalf_The_Grey
8/8/2006, 02:46 PM
Maybe he loved the Gambler!

BeetDigger
8/8/2006, 03:39 PM
Those stats go back to 1987. The last 5 years are a better sample of how he would pitch in the second half of the season this year.

Actually, they go back to 1987 for everybody...that's as far back as they host.

To your arguement that the recent past is more indicative, which I am glad you asked, his data ERA actually showed similar trends. Since 1999, his ERA has was 4.40 pre, 4.52 post. Yes, there is an increase. Again, that does not tell me that he is a first half pitcher.

colleyvillesooner
8/8/2006, 03:45 PM
Actually, they go back to 1987 for everybody...that's as far back as they host.

To your arguement that the recent past is more indicative, which I am glad you asked, his data ERA actually showed similar trends. Since 1999, his ERA has was 4.40 pre, 4.52 post. Yes, there is an increase. Again, that does not tell me that he is a first half pitcher.

How is his win loss for the same span?

BeetDigger
8/8/2006, 03:53 PM
whats beet's agenda for defending kenny ????

You are not following along.

I need to summarize, although prior to CVS' post regarding Rogers last start, I thought that this discussion was over. However, since he posted it, I enquired as to why (the agenda question), which led to a further discussion on his stats.

I have stated that it is too bad the Rangers don't have Rogers this year as he could be a difference maker for them in a AL West that has a three to five game separation of all four teams (which has widened slightly since the initial discussion). Furthermore, I don't think the fact that the Rangers decided to not make an offer to him is wrong on the Rangers part, given how he treated the camerman last year. Had he not acted that way, I think the Rangers would have offered him a contract and I believe that Kenny would have stayed as he is loyal to the Rangers.

CVS countered that he would not make that much difference in the end and furthermore that Rogers is a first half pitcher.

I disagree on both counts. I used stats to back up my claim and wanted stats from CVS, or any other Johnny Discussion Jumper Inner who thinks that Rogers is a first half pitcher. CVS is the only one who has produced stats.

Prior to looking at the stats, I didn't claim Rogers was or was not a first half pitcher. I claimed that I don't REMEBER him being just a first half pitcher. Now that I have looked at some stats, I think that my recollection is correct.

BeetDigger
8/8/2006, 04:05 PM
How is his win loss for the same span?

Using your stats, his winning % drops much worse than his ERA. That can be a factor of him giving up runs at a bad time or not getting the same run support that he got in the first half of the year.

The complete analysis of this occurs when you compare his stats to the pitcher who replaced him. I mean, if you and other Ranger fans are happier having Koronka, Loe,... rather than Rogers, than fine.

This isn't 20/20 hindsight like if I used Young's stats vs. Eaton's stats to say that they should have kept Young. This is just saying that it's too bad the Rangers had their hand forced with Rogers due to his actions.

colleyvillesooner
8/8/2006, 04:08 PM
The complete analysis of this occurs when you compare his stats to the pitcher who replaced him. I mean, if you and other Ranger fans are happier having Koronka, Loe,... rather than Rogers, than fine.

I don't think anyone here would say that. I just don't think at the end of the season, the difference between having Rogers and not having Rogers means playoffs vs. no playoffs. Only time will tell.

mrowl
8/8/2006, 04:37 PM
I am staying away from this one. for people that pay attention in DFW, they know the answer.

Gandalf_The_Grey
8/8/2006, 04:52 PM
I would take Koronka and Loe because they aren't asshats ;)

BeetDigger
8/8/2006, 07:13 PM
I don't think anyone here would say that. I just don't think at the end of the season, the difference between having Rogers and not having Rogers means playoffs vs. no playoffs. Only time will tell.

Fair enough. Earlier (post 681) you based your opinion on what you had heard and I just wanted to know if there were stats behind it. You presented his W/L record and it does show some degradation. However, I think that there is much more behind this than just the W/L record.

And just for the record, while my favorite teams are the Mariners and the Rockies, I have and do root for the Rangers. I've been to far more Rangers games than any other team. I've shared season tix with a buddy, sat in the owners box, got the seats that the former owners still have and bought a lot of single game seats. I've probably been to close to 50 games in the last six years. A former co-worker told me a story of her first day on the job with the Rangers as a payroll processor. George Bush gave her a tour of the ballpark. It was a cool story.

BeetDigger
8/8/2006, 07:15 PM
I would take Koronka and Loe because they aren't asshats ;)

I would not disagree with you at all on that. That's the whole reason he isn't here.

BeetDigger
8/8/2006, 07:16 PM
I am staying away from this one. because I don't follow the game, look at stats or analyze things.

I think that's what you meant.

colleyvillesooner
8/8/2006, 10:10 PM
Chased the starting pitcher with 0 outs in the fourth. Millwood looks good. Figures, since they are on the road. :D

Rangers - 4
A's - 0
Top 4

jk the sooner fan
8/8/2006, 10:16 PM
gmj with a great HR robbing catch in center field

and buck - please start Laird MUCH more often at catcher........

colleyvillesooner
8/8/2006, 10:23 PM
UGH

Nick "*********" Swisher hits a three run homer. Gotta love given up a 3 run homerun to the guy with the second lowest average in the AL with RISP.

****!!!!!

Next pitch, belt high, right down the pipe. Home run 4-4.

Oh and no outs

Rangers 4
A's 4
Bottom 4

GrapevineSooner
8/9/2006, 12:36 AM
OK, so when does Buck get fired?

Not to say he's necessarily to blame for this mess. But each year he's managed the Rangers, it seems they've always managed to just suck in the second half.

In other words, what you're doing Tom Hicks isn't working.

Oh yeah, could you open up the purse strings while you're at it? This isn't Kansas City. This is one of the largest media markets in the country. And you've got a sweetheart of a television deal.

And you're pocketing the money instead of reinvesting it into the ballclub. Or hell, put a damn roof over the ballpark. :mad:

jk the sooner fan
8/9/2006, 06:50 AM
with zito pitching tonite at home, looks like the rangers get swept and put 8+ games out......

turn out the lights........

colleyvillesooner
8/9/2006, 08:37 AM
Yep, it was over as soon as Milwood walked off the mound. Battle of bullpens is a battle we lose.

Beef
8/9/2006, 10:19 AM
They need to release every pitcher in the majors and fire every pitching coach in the organization. You would think even the Rangers could find a pitcher with a 4.7 ERA for less than 8 mil a year, but I guess not.

Scott D
8/9/2006, 11:41 AM
OK, so when does Buck get fired?

Not to say he's necessarily to blame for this mess. But each year he's managed the Rangers, it seems they've always managed to just suck in the second half.

In other words, what you're doing Tom Hicks isn't working.

Oh yeah, could you open up the purse strings while you're at it? This isn't Kansas City. This is one of the largest media markets in the country. And you've got a sweetheart of a television deal.

And you're pocketing the money instead of reinvesting it into the ballclub. Or hell, put a damn roof over the ballpark. :mad:

about the purse strings...isn't he still paying at least 1/3 of A Rod's salary?

colleyvillesooner
8/9/2006, 12:20 PM
:mad:

colleyvillesooner
8/9/2006, 01:08 PM
Don't neg me cause you know I'm right :D

Beef
8/9/2006, 04:09 PM
I'll get the jinxing out of the way. 6-0 in the 5th!!!! Woot!

colleyvillesooner
8/9/2006, 04:15 PM
I'll get the jinxing out of the way. 6-0 in the 5th!!!! Woot!

heh, yeah, chasing the starting pitcher didn't really work out good yesterday. :D

Gandalf_The_Grey
8/9/2006, 04:18 PM
Damm Zito has screwed my fantasy team!!!

Beef
8/9/2006, 04:26 PM
How will we blow this 11 run lead?

mrowl
8/9/2006, 04:39 PM
When Buck is fired very soon (PLEASE!), everyone is free to celebrate the 07' division championship with me.

Since baby is now here, I have some tickets to sell...

Every game is for 2 tickets in sec. 15, row 18, seat 1 and 2 (aisle), on 3rd base side.

2 seats, and a free parking pass for $80.00

-Friday August 25th vs Oakland

-Sat Sept 2nd vs Cleveland

-Friday Sept 15th vs LA Angels

PM me if you are interested, I can mail them since there is plenty of time, and do payment by paypal

colleyvillesooner
8/9/2006, 05:01 PM
How will we blow this 14 run lead?

fixed.

AllAboutThe'O'
8/10/2006, 09:44 PM
Glad to see we're starting to take care of business at home now. It's a shame to go a combined one game over .500 on our last two road trips to some brutal venues, only to squander it with another awful homestand.

mrowl
8/11/2006, 09:06 AM
seattle is the succ

MUST sweep these guys.

AllAboutThe'O'
8/11/2006, 09:04 PM
Well, we're taking care of business right now. Up 12-1 in the 3rd; however, the M's are making a slight comeback.

AllAboutThe'O'
8/11/2006, 10:52 PM
Rangers make it two in a row for the crucial homestand, 14-7. Take away a six-run fourth, and it would have been total domination.

Mark DeRosa has hit four homers and has driven in 14 runs in his last four games, and has gone 11-of-22 at the plate this week, giving him the inside track to American League Player of the Week honors.

mrowl
8/12/2006, 08:35 AM
DeRosa's free agent stock goes up every game.

This would be a great chance to trade Hank in the offseason and keep DeRosa at 3rd

2 more wins still needed. HAVE to sweep these guys.

Gandalf_The_Grey
8/12/2006, 08:39 AM
I know he is helping my Fantasy baseball teams stock ;)

OUstud
8/12/2006, 04:31 PM
Go Tampa Bay and (vomit) NYY! (this weekend only)

hurricane'bone
8/12/2006, 10:16 PM
phew.

AllAboutThe'O'
8/13/2006, 10:20 PM
Break out the brooms.

Five straight.

Naturally, the A's are doing their annual can't lose after the All-Star break until the playoffs gig, but we just need to keep winning series like this one.

mrowl
8/14/2006, 11:27 AM
ahhhh... a nice sweep of the <wilonsky voice> teeerrriiibllle </wilonsky voice> mariners.

mrowl
8/15/2006, 03:11 PM
critical 2 game series with Angels of LA starts tonight. Currently both teams are tied for 2nd in the division, 5.5 games back of Oakland.

mrowl
8/15/2006, 08:20 PM

mrowl
8/15/2006, 08:23 PM
thanks a bunch padilla.

mrowl
8/15/2006, 08:52 PM
HR Mike Young! 6-6 in the 5th.

jk the sooner fan
8/15/2006, 09:26 PM
can we get rid of padilla in the off season.......he's a friggin head case

colleyvillesooner
8/15/2006, 09:35 PM
I think my coming back from vacation has cursed the team.

AllAboutThe'O'
8/15/2006, 10:14 PM
I think my coming back from vacation has cursed the team.
Go back on vacation. Use priceline.com, Orbitz, whatever, book some cheap hotel rooms for a few more nights, especially since I want to make it out of Comerica Park alive this weekend.

mrowl
8/16/2006, 11:57 AM
wouldn't it be cool, if for only 1 season, the Rangers pitching staff wasn't predictable?

colleyvillesooner
8/16/2006, 05:14 PM

ERA 4.59

Well, the mail came to Mr Rogers neighboorhood and it delivered another "L". ;)

7 innings, 4 hits, 4 runs (0 ER), 0 walks and 2 SO.

In fairness, this one wasn't really was his fault. From ESPN recap:

Kenny Rogers (11-6) took the loss despite retiring the first 12 batters and holding the White Sox to four hits in seven innings. He allowed four unearned runs, struck out two and did not walk a batter, but he's 0-3 over his last six starts.

Plus, Buehrle pitched a good game as well.

mrowl
8/16/2006, 06:31 PM
From Evan Grant:

From the always interesting world of the Rangers:

• The club expects Vicente Padilla to be suspended for at least one start (that would mean a five-game suspension). They are preparing to have a pitcher available: Either Robinson Tejeda or John Rheinecker (who pitched Tuesday) available to pitch in Padilla's spot.

• Based on precedent, manager Buck Showalter expects to be suspended for one game. It is virtually automatic that the manager is suspended when a pitcher is ejected after a warning. Not sure when Showalter would serve that, but Rangers expect word to come from MLB before the weekend.

• Brad Wilkerson is having season-ending surgery on Tuesday to repair some debris in his shoulder. There is some concern that the injury might also include a detached or partially detached biceps tendon. Dr. Lewis Yocum will perform the surgery.

• Gary Matthews Jr. is out of the lineup with a sore neck but expects to miss only a day or two.

I would like to nominate Padillas pitching last night as another nominee for 2006 catastrophic moment.

mrowl
8/16/2006, 06:33 PM
If Buck was fired today... would the Rangers win the division?

why am I leaning towards yes?

mrowl
8/16/2006, 08:18 PM
9-0 - Rangers in the 3rd. HUGE inning with a HR and a GS.

BeetDigger
8/16/2006, 09:24 PM
Well, the mail came to Mr Rogers neighboorhood and it delivered another "L". ;)

7 innings, 4 hits, 4 runs (0 ER), 0 walks and 2 SO.

In fairness, this one wasn't really was his fault. From ESPN recap:

Plus, Buehrle pitched a good game as well.

And his ERA is now down to 4.39. And just as importantly, he pitched 7 innings, which means 2 for the pen.

I took a baseball trip this past weekend to Houston. Caught up with a bunch of folks from around the country, all of whom follow the game closely and a couple of whom write articles. They agreed that the Rangers would have been in first at the break had they had Rogers and none of them remember him being a poor second half pitcher, although we all remember how he performed in the post season for the Yankees. But alas, as you state, the issue is mute, not because the Rangers don't have him but because the A's are the A's in the second half. .500 the first half, .750 the second half. They are the devil, albeit in Green uniforms.

OUstud
8/16/2006, 10:01 PM
Hello win column and brawl!

AllAboutThe'O'
8/16/2006, 10:09 PM
That was a classic brawl. Glad to see us dish out some frontier justice.
Wish I had seen it live, but I just caught the replay on Rangers Live and it'll get me fired up for the rest of the night.
Scott Feldman is my newest hero.

jk the sooner fan
8/16/2006, 10:12 PM
that was fun to watch

colleyvillesooner
8/16/2006, 10:23 PM
DAMN!! Got home from listening in the car and didn't turn it on. :mad:

Paperclip
8/16/2006, 10:32 PM
Glad you girls got that slap fight out of your system. See you tomorrow night.

:)

Gandalf_The_Grey
8/16/2006, 10:49 PM
Wanna know why Milwaukee sucks.....bang

C. Capuano (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/7132) 6.0 5 2 1 0 5 0 3.68
R. Helling (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/5207) 1.0 0 0 0 1 1 0 4.40
J. Capellan (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/7423) 2.0 1 0 0 3 3 0 4.12
D. Kolb (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/6240) 1.0 0 0 0 0 1 0 4.78
B. Shouse (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/5098) 1.0 0 0 0 0 0 0 2.02
G. Gonzalez (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/5750) (W, 4-2) 1.0 1 0 0 0 0 0 4.80
F. Cordero (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/6300) (S, 8) 1.0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0.00

What do 4 of their pitchers have in common ;)

AllAboutThe'O'
8/16/2006, 11:35 PM
Wanna know why Milwaukee sucks.....bang

C. Capuano (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/7132) 6.0 5 2 1 0 5 0 3.68
R. Helling (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/5207) 1.0 0 0 0 1 1 0 4.40
J. Capellan (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/7423) 2.0 1 0 0 3 3 0 4.12
D. Kolb (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/6240) 1.0 0 0 0 0 1 0 4.78
B. Shouse (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/5098) 1.0 0 0 0 0 0 0 2.02
G. Gonzalez (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/5750) (W, 4-2) 1.0 1 0 0 0 0 0 4.80
F. Cordero (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/6300) (S, 8) 1.0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0.00

What do 4 of their pitchers have in common ;)
They have an ERA of less than 4.15?

Gandalf_The_Grey
8/17/2006, 08:39 AM
What do Helling, Kolb, Shouse, and Cordero have in common ;)

jk the sooner fan
8/17/2006, 08:46 AM
What do Helling, Kolb, Shouse, and Cordero have in common ;)

none of them came up thru the rangers farm system - except possibly helling.....the rest came up thru different organizations and were acquired via trades....

so your point is moot

BeetDigger
8/17/2006, 08:57 AM
You could see that brawl coming since the day before when Padilla decided to plunk a few Angels. There was no way that this series was going to end without a good old bench clearing fisticuffs.

colleyvillesooner
8/17/2006, 08:59 AM
Well, tonight I can report on Rogers outing with no agenda, as he's playing the Rangers.