PDA

View Full Version : Would OU fans?

jthomasou78
3/29/2006, 05:19 PM
More like to see a Billy Ball team that is inconsistent with victories but fun to watch, or a team that is Kelvin style defense first, but wins close boring games regularly?

Jimminy Crimson
3/29/2006, 05:21 PM
I don't care about styles.

Just win, baby!

NormanPride
3/29/2006, 05:26 PM
The problem with "Kelvin's system" was that he leveled the playing field. Talent was mostly irrelevant, and that let us play the UConns and Dukes of the spectrum. Now, while we'd beat those teams with some consistency, we'd also lose to the Nebraskas, Missouris, and Tulsas a few times.

I think the fans just want a team where they don't need a defibrillator after every game.

william_brasky
3/29/2006, 05:31 PM
You know, I'm sick and tired of hearing about style of play.

Why can't you do it all?

Play D, run when you can, rebound, have a nice half court game inside and outside. Blows my mind. Get players in and coach 'em up.

Taxman71
3/29/2006, 05:39 PM
I think Kelvin's system would have been fine if Kelvin gave any effort to obtain the backing of the fans and let an assistant design and execute an offense. He seemed like both were unnecessary to Heart, Hustle and Hardwood.

Gandalf_The_Grey
3/29/2006, 05:45 PM
Let's face it, you are going to have those people that support the team just because that is what they do regardless of style. Then you are going to have those people bitching regardless of style, the people who say "I would go watch if it wasn't just so boring" would then say "I just can't stand to watch a team so disorganized, can't this team just slow down, play some D, and run some clock." Then you have those people that are suddenly huge fans when we go to a Final Four and will come watch big teams because they might get on TV

Gandalf_The_Grey
3/29/2006, 05:48 PM
Oh and could you imagine the first time the score was 87-85 and we lost and everyone got on here and started, "I would trade points for wins" threads

boomersooner82
3/29/2006, 05:49 PM
Let's face it, you are going to have those people that support the team just because that is what they do regardless of style.

I wish we had more of those.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
3/29/2006, 05:51 PM
I don't care about styles.

Just win, baby!

What Jimminy said.

If our next coach beats Dook 38-35 in the NCAA championship game in a couple years I don't care how pretty it was.

Taxman71
3/29/2006, 06:02 PM
I cannot completely explain the lack of attendance. Norman has roughly 100,000 residents while the student body residing in and around Norman has to be around 15,000 I would think. OKC, Edmond, etc. is all within 45 minutes. IMO, the student section should ALWAYS be full. I cannot imagine what other time constraints the majority of them have.

GottaHavePride
3/29/2006, 06:10 PM
I cannot completely explain the lack of attendance. Norman has roughly 100,000 residents while the student body residing in and around Norman has to be around 15,000 I would think. OKC, Edmond, etc. is all within 45 minutes. IMO, the student section should ALWAYS be full. I cannot imagine what other time constraints the majority of them have.

Student body is more like 20,000.

kbsooner
3/29/2006, 06:11 PM
I would just hope to see the 5-10 minute scoring droughts go to the wayside. I'm sure most teams suffer these, but OU under Kelvin cornered the market. I also felt at times that Kelvin's O was akin to forcing a round peg in a square hole. I think he could have come up with some more creative sets to get Taj 1-1. I think by the end of the year everyone had caught onto the multiple screens to get Neal open.

As far as attendence, I think you would see better numbers if they didn't televise every game on the Sooner Sports network. Didn't they change the points system for getting the football tickets so that you actually had to show up to the bball games this year to get them?

NormanPride
3/29/2006, 06:20 PM
Don't the student tickets always sell out? I know that when I tried to get them, they were sold out...

walkoffsooner
3/29/2006, 06:34 PM
It seems we were on the verge several times of having a great team but personaility conflicts got in the way.I don't know is it was KS or the player's.I think a team needs to have more than one type of style. Great teams can run or slow it down a little.I think the key is confidence from the coach to the player's to learn to make decisions on the court.

oumartin
3/29/2006, 07:45 PM
he's an egomaniac.

Sooner24
3/29/2006, 08:34 PM
Don't the student tickets always sell out? I know that when I tried to get them, they were sold out...

My son is a freshman and he got tickets.

Cam
3/29/2006, 09:29 PM
I'd like to see program progression and stability.

BarryBnds
3/29/2006, 11:36 PM
The thing that is sad about people that rip Tubbs is the fact that they were a stifling defensive team and they get no credit for it. Just because we didn't beat people up in the lane didn't mean we didn't get after people. The thing about Tubbs is that his style of play you didn't have to worry too much about K State type teams. He beat the teams we were supposed to beat most of the time and did it the Switzer way by hanging a hundred on them. Plus he had a personality that adhered the fans toward him. He didn't give a damn about the media or other fans. While he was announcing over the PA system how terrible the officiating was, Calvin was telling our fans not to say Texas sucks. The only people sad that Coach Denim is gone are the talk show hosts on the Sports Animal.

King Crimson
3/30/2006, 12:10 AM
i don't believe Kelvin ever lost to Tulsa. Billy did. i have no agenda in saying this but the re-visionist history among our hoops fans is a little thick sometimes.

MojoRisen
3/30/2006, 12:27 AM
Kelvin didn't play the better TU teams- so whatever: we would have lost by 20 against Shea Seals and Selfs teams this year.

Billy Tubbs teams pressed full court- trapped and made fast break on turnovers got out and ran- quickest best look at the hoop- hey it was fun. They were able to create a lot of turnovers-

If it were a choice of being = in winning percentages and success- I would take Billy Ball all night long... I would not sacrifice wins for fun- we can do a variation of both.

I like how Roy williams runs the break- teaches good defense- etc. Turgeon would be good-

BarryBnds
3/30/2006, 01:32 AM
Kelvin didn't play the better TU teams- so whatever: we would have lost by 20 against Shea Seals and Selfs teams this year.

Billy Tubbs teams pressed full court- trapped and made fast break on turnovers got out and ran- quickest best look at the hoop- hey it was fun. They were able to create a lot of turnovers-

If it were a choice of being = in winning percentages and success- I would take Billy Ball all night long... I would not sacrifice wins for fun- we can do a variation of both.

I like how Roy williams runs the break- teaches good defense- etc. Turgeon would be good-

I agree wholeheartedly. As much as I loved BillyBall I don't think you could run the same exact type of team now a days but I'd much rather be looking to run at every opportunity than run the 3 man weave outside the 3 point line until there is 5 seconds on the clock.

MojoRisen
3/30/2006, 04:04 AM
Yeah I call it the Harlem Globe Trotter trick with out the trick- Just sound fundamentals and the existence of an outlet pass would be starters. We need to have the ability to run on defense and offense and attract players that can get up and down the court..

Good sound basketball with the ability to make proper adjustments when needed and have 3-4 speeds of tempo

SOONER44EVER
3/30/2006, 04:19 AM
The LNC just isn't a good place to watch basketball IMO. Its so dark and dreary in there. As far as facilities go, either Trammel or Rohde said OU had much better facilities than Indiana in every area except the arena. They said Indiana's arena was so much better it wasn't even close.

OUmillenium
3/30/2006, 09:47 AM
The thing that is sad about people that rip Tubbs is the fact that they were a stifling defensive team and they get no credit for it. Just because we didn't beat people up in the lane didn't mean we didn't get after people. The thing about Tubbs is that his style of play you didn't have to worry too much about K State type teams. He beat the teams we were supposed to beat most of the time and did it the Switzer way by hanging a hundred on them. Plus he had a personality that adhered the fans toward him. He didn't give a damn about the media or other fans. While he was announcing over the PA system how terrible the officiating was, Calvin was telling our fans not to say Texas sucks. The only people sad that Coach Denim is gone are the talk show hosts on the Sports Animal.

Well said

Gandalf_The_Grey
3/30/2006, 09:57 AM
Trolls have Trolls now?