PDA

View Full Version : Note to Kelvin:

Crimsontothecore
3/29/2006, 05:05 PM
I just watched your IU press conference and you stated that you took the job because you feel you can win championships at Indiana. I must assume you plan on scrapping the offensive philosophy you used at OU, or are you blaming the players at OU for the anemic offense? Maybe you think you'll have a more talented pool of players to work with at IU. Given your track record with All American caliber recruits at OU, I don't think that's what you should count on. Maybe those McDonald's All-Americans at IU will buy into your system to the point that they will embrace the 8 minute scoring drought.

NormanPride
3/29/2006, 05:28 PM
Okay, because some haven't grasped it yet:

Our offense did not suck this year.

In the end, 'twas defense which killed the beast.

OKC-SLC
3/29/2006, 05:48 PM
Okay, because some haven't grasped it yet:

Our offense did not suck this year.

In the end, 'twas defense which killed the beast.
hmm, well I don't thnk you're wrong, but you're not right either. there were games when a lack of defensive stops cost us wins. But according to ncaasports.com:

Scoring offense ranked 158th out of 326 ranked teams.
Turnovers lost pre game ranked 132nd of 326 (where 1 is good).
FG percentage 103rd.
3-pt percentage and per game 110 and 200, respectively.
Assists per game 103rd.

Indeed, defense has some less-than-desirable numbers:
FG defense 176th
Blocks/game 121st
Steals/game 149th

To me, this doesn't indicate our sole problem is defense. Admittedly good defense can inflate offensive stats. But I refuse to accept that we were a good defense away from competing on a national level.

http://web1.ncaa.org/stats/StatsSrv/ranksummary

Gandalf_The_Grey
3/29/2006, 05:51 PM
When you bring a recruit to Indiana...Packed house, loud, everyone is excited.

Now you visit Lloyd Noble....quiet, empty, and dark, everyone is asleep or shows up at half time....

Now imagine your an 18 year old kid who wants to be the next Michael Jordan, where do you want to play?

RFH Shakes
3/29/2006, 06:35 PM

Now you visit Lloyd Noble....quiet, empty, and dark, everyone is asleep or shows up at half time....

Now imagine your an 18 year old kid who wants to be the next Michael Jordan, where do you want to play?

NBA ;)

CatfishSooner
3/29/2006, 06:44 PM
Dukee

TheHumanAlphabet
3/29/2006, 07:35 PM

We could move the games to the fieldhouse. It can get noisy there...Plus it is throwback, would be really cool to see games there and all. Maybe even bring back short gym shorts and all...

BarryBnds
3/29/2006, 11:32 PM
I agree with you Crimson, it really ****ed me off to hear him say that the reason he is at Indiana is because he can win a championship there. I'm sorry, and you can rip me all you want, but we have the facilities and have shown in the past that we can compete with anyone anywhere. Maybe not over a 20 year span but every other year or so. So good riddance Calvin. I'm sorry we couldn't provide you with the opportunities you needed to win a game or two in the tourney.

OKC-SLC
3/30/2006, 01:50 AM
i don't think i'm reading too much into it, but i got a bit angry when he said that together (then emphasized that) they could be successful...almost to suggest that he's been so tortured here at ou.

Points>no points, when it comes to winning basketball games

MojoRisen
3/30/2006, 03:48 AM
Did Tubbs talk like that? I figure Kelvin is just always milking it for what it is worth- if you go for a job you have your spin you know- Yeah I am going to win Championships- look what I did at OU with shiat. I knew he was out for himself- and always negoitiating. Retire on the bench at OU- yeah big dog- I have said it before I see through his BS- and I rather have a good coach with a more progressive style of play.

Later Kelvin.

Gandalf_The_Grey
3/30/2006, 04:00 AM
Is it ironic that on so cynical lives in D.C.

MojoRisen
3/30/2006, 04:08 AM
Cynical about Kelvin- Yes I was.

Gandalf_The_Grey
3/30/2006, 04:14 AM
Yeah I am glad he is gone too, he hasn't done a thing for OU basketball, he had to be the worst coach in the history of Earth, Thank God now OU can get back to our glory days again of losing National Title games with superior talent, I bet Billy would come back at a cheaper price.

MojoRisen
3/30/2006, 04:20 AM
No bait here :) you drinkin

Gandalf_The_Grey
3/30/2006, 04:24 AM
A little ;)

Crimsontothecore
3/30/2006, 09:08 AM
I agree with you Crimson, it really ****ed me off to hear him say that the reason he is at Indiana is because he can win a championship there. I'm sorry, and you can rip me all you want, but we have the facilities and have shown in the past that we can compete with anyone anywhere. Maybe not over a 20 year span but every other year or so. So good riddance Calvin. I'm sorry we couldn't provide you with the opportunities you needed to win a game or two in the tourney.
Ditto. The most irritating part of that comment was that it insinuated Kelvin sees himself as a championship caliber coach who's shortcomings were OU's fault. Gimme a break!

chriscappel
3/30/2006, 09:13 AM
what a ******...He had the players to win a championship at OU...what a backstabbing dude!

ousoonerfan
3/30/2006, 10:14 AM
After I heard the win championships comment, I felt like Kelvin actually slapped me in the face. I'm fairly new to this board, but have followed OU basketball closely for going on ten years. (I married an alum and now I bleed the crimson and cream!) Anyway, I have supported Kelvin and felt like he has had a respectable tenune as coach. I also feel that he could have done more with the talent he has had, but the bottom line is that I thought he did a good job and was trying to "win championships". Apparently, he was not. He fell into the trap of thinking OU is only a football school and thought he would always be second fiddle to the football program. If one feels inferior, one will not be able to do their absolute best. OU did not fail Kelvin Sampson. Kelvin Sampson failed OU. As much as I liked him, I now see the error of my ways and realize that he will forever be the coach who did not believe he could overcome. That's why his teams underachieved, he is an underachiever. Goodbye Coach Sampson and good luck at IU. You are going to need it.

BarryBnds
3/30/2006, 10:18 AM
what a ******...He had the players to win a championship at OU...what a backstabbing dude!

Yes he had the players to win except they were playing on other teams after their sophomore years.