PDA

View Full Version : OU committ Dameion James reconsidering..

eastxsooner
3/29/2006, 04:19 PM
Just heard from his own mouth that he can change schools now if he decides to because of the coaching change. He said he would "more than likely stay" if OU was to hire Indiana's former coach Mike Davis. The 6'9 250 lb. All-American would be a huge loss if they don't choose wisely.

King Crimson
3/29/2006, 04:21 PM
if we hire Mike Davis, I'm never watching another OU game in my life.

sooneron
3/29/2006, 04:23 PM
no chit

colleyvillesooner
3/29/2006, 04:31 PM
Just heard from his own mouth that he can change schools now if he decides to because of the coaching change. He said he would "more than likely stay" if OU was to hire Indiana's former coach Mike Davis. The 6'9 250 lb. All-American would be a huge loss if they don't choose wisely.

Not really. All the recruits have signed LOI's. The school would have to let them out of them. If they transfer, they have to sit a year.

Gandalf_The_Grey
3/29/2006, 04:35 PM
I am sure the NCAA would let them out because of the coach leaving, because it is kind of shady. I wouldn't blame the kid for wanting to go somewhere else. The kid didn't come to play at OU, he came to play for Sampson.

Jimminy Crimson
3/29/2006, 04:38 PM
if we hire Mike Davis, I'm never watching another OU game in my life.

No kidding.

James needs to get his head on straight.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
3/29/2006, 04:41 PM
I am sure the NCAA would let them out because of the coach leaving, because it is kind of shady. I wouldn't blame the kid for wanting to go somewhere else. The kid didn't come to play at OU, he came to play for Sampson.

this crap happens every year. you sign the LOI for the school, not the coach. they aren't going to let him out without making him sit out or got to juco for a year.

colleyvillesooner
3/29/2006, 04:42 PM

I don't think so. Anyone eles witha a better knowledge know?

I think they are stuck. The Baylor kids got a special reprive, but I don't think if your coach leaves, you can walk free. It happens too often.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
3/29/2006, 04:44 PM
the baylor kids got a reprieve because baylor was put on probation. you are free to leave without penalty when that happens. they also had a special big 12 ruling that allowed them to transfer within the conference without penalty that allowed pokey state to get to the final 4. at this juncture, we aren't being put on probation so that won't apply.

LOIs aren't administered by the NCAA, they are administered by a college association. they are pretty hard to break...

LSUdeek
3/29/2006, 04:48 PM
the baylor kids got a reprieve because baylor was put on probation. you are free to leave without penalty when that happens. they also had a special big 12 ruling that allowed them to transfer within the conference without penalty that allowed pokey state to get to the final 4. at this juncture, we aren't being put on probation so that won't apply.

LOIs aren't administered by the NCAA, they are administered by a college association. they are pretty hard to break...

also lawrence roberts to mississippi state had a pretty big effect as well. how good would that baylor team have been...

there was talk last year of greg oden and mike conley being let out of tosu committments as well if their probation was.... anything more than the sweet nothings they received.

GDC
3/29/2006, 04:54 PM
http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65259

Rhino
3/29/2006, 04:55 PM
this same story was posted by gdc this morning (http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1272888&postcount=16)

James, like Tony Crocker, Keith Clark, Jeremy Mayfield and McDonalds All-American Scottie Reynolds, signed national letters of intent with the Sooners. That binds them to OU for a scholarship year, unless the school agrees to release them from their agreement. If they decide to transfer, they would also lose eligibility.

Rhino
3/29/2006, 04:55 PM
gdc beat me to the punch himself.

soonerlaw
3/29/2006, 05:16 PM
Guess they are stuck. Woo hoo! Someone help me here, but was it Nate Erdmann that came with Sampson from WSU? I know he was a player and not a recruit, but I am assuming he had to sit out a year as well? Anyone think any players/recruits will follow Sampson to IU?

Salt City Sooner
3/29/2006, 05:38 PM
Guess they are stuck. Woo hoo! Someone help me here, but was it Nate Erdmann that came with Sampson from WSU? I know he was a player and not a recruit, but I am assuming he had to sit out a year as well? Anyone think any players/recruits will follow Sampson to IU?
Nate was w/ Sampson at Wazzu, played here at Hutch for a year, & then transferred to OU.

Gandalf_The_Grey
3/29/2006, 05:40 PM
If they asked I think I would release them just because it isn't their fault this situation occurred and if they didn't want to be here, I wouldn't want to force them.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
3/29/2006, 05:44 PM
If they asked I think I would release them just because it isn't their fault this situation occurred and if they didn't want to be here, I wouldn't want to force them.

the only thing the release does is allow them to get financial aid at their new school. they still have to sit out a year because once they signed that document the NCAA considers them to have attended with non-qualification the only way out.

colleyvillesooner

What if you knew they were going to a team in your conference?

Rock Hard Corn Frog

A couple things. 1. I would NEVER, repeat NEVER hire a head coach based on what a player, especially an incoming recruit wants. I really hope we get James but we aren't hiring Mike Davis and no player is worth tying the hands of the athletic dept 2. It is a non-issue until we get our new coach and we know if we get additional penalities because otherwise he would have to sit out a year. I'm more interested in what the recruits say AFTER we have a coach.

All that said, I think if the coach leaves the player that was recruited SHOULD be able to go. (with the exception that colleyville pointed out, not in the same conference).

We could of course under the same scenario get a transfer or two ourselves. Again, depends on the scholarship situation.

Gandalf_The_Grey
3/29/2006, 05:47 PM
Cool, I did not know all of that JKM, learn something new everyday :) I wouldn't care if they went in conference, at this point I would be more willing to do the right thing.

colleyvillesooner
3/29/2006, 06:04 PM
Cool, I did not know all of that JKM, learn something new everyday :) I wouldn't care if they went in conference, at this point I would be more willing to do the right thing.

You do know that college athletics, especially football and basketball, is a business, right? ;)

Gandalf_The_Grey
3/29/2006, 06:06 PM
Yeah but I also believe you catch more bees with honey than vinegar too ;)

colleyvillesooner
3/29/2006, 06:12 PM
Yeah but I also believe you catch more bees with honey than vinegar too ;)

Yeah, but bees can't shoot the 3 and play defense. :D

CatfishSooner
3/29/2006, 06:48 PM
it'd be a shame to lose this class...

OUGreg723
3/29/2006, 07:38 PM
Guys we are on THIN ICE. If James goes, Reynolds will follow. I spoke to Scottie today on the phone. He isnt sure what the heck he's gonna do right now. All the recruits are really sad. I just told him to do what was best for him and he is always more than welcome with us at OU. He is going to wait to make his decision though.

C'mon Joe! Hire us a great coach to pull us through this! We need these recruits!

sooner518
3/29/2006, 11:21 PM
it seems that whenever something like this happens, the recruits threaten to leave, then they meet with the new coach who convinces them to stay. I think we'll be alright with these recruits.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
3/30/2006, 09:16 AM
it seems that whenever something like this happens, the recruits threaten to leave, then they meet with the new coach who convinces them to stay. I think we'll be alright with these recruits.

I'm thinking the same thing. I can see why recruits may not want to play for no coach but then once a coach is hired then they are much more likely to stay. After all Damion said he was upset at Sampson, presumably Scottie too and it wasn't like he was fired. He left. So I think given a little time they will come around.

SouthCarolinaSooner
3/30/2006, 10:35 AM
!@#$!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that would be very very bad

Harry Beanbag
3/30/2006, 10:47 AM

You're really trying hard to implode the program just to show that Sampson was irreplaceable aren't you? Where does your allegiance reside, with Kelvin or OU?

Gandalf_The_Grey
3/30/2006, 11:36 AM
Well it has little to do with my allegiance to OU or not, Do you want to force an 18 year old kid to be forced to play basketball for someone he didn't choose to play for? The whole recruiting process is finding a coach you are comfortable with and it isn't fair that Sampson semi-betrayed them by leaving.

PrideTrombone
3/30/2006, 11:40 AM
Well it has little to do with my allegiance to OU or not, Do you want to force an 18 year old kid to be forced to play basketball for someone he didn't choose to play for?

If it makes OU better, sure. :D

CobraKai
3/30/2006, 11:50 AM
Yeah, but bees can't shoot the 3 and play defense.

Have you seen the teams we've carted out the last 3 years? Neither can they...

Harry Beanbag
3/30/2006, 11:58 AM
Well it has little to do with my allegiance to OU or not, Do you want to force an 18 year old kid to be forced to play basketball for someone he didn't choose to play for? The whole recruiting process is finding a coach you are comfortable with and it isn't fair that Sampson semi-betrayed them by leaving.

I don't think your view of recruiting is actually how it works. If it was, then all these players wouldn't have been getting run off or transferring once they figured out they didn't get along with Sampson.

The other side of the coin is what is fair for the school. The kids pledged to play for and attend OU; therefore, other kids who may have come to Norman were no longer recruited. There's a reason for LOIs.

Gandalf_The_Grey
3/30/2006, 12:04 PM
I may have a bad view on recruiting, but it just seems wicked to punish a 18 year old because some 40 50 year old man suddenly has a change of heart. Sampson ran off what like 3 or 4 players...let's quit acting like he ran off every player that he ever recruited.

Stoop Dawg
3/30/2006, 02:53 PM
Have you seen the teams we've carted out the last 3 years? Neither can they...

Exactly. I've read a lot on this board lately about how bad recruiting was and how no NBA players ever played for KS. Why do we care what these schlepps, who were recruited by that b@st@rd KS, think? He probably called them too many times anyway.