PDA

View Full Version : Curtis Lofton

The VIIIth
3/29/2006, 03:12 PM
http://img530.imageshack.us/img530/4529/lofton3eg.jpg
World Article on Lofton and Reynolds Reply

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Linebackers Curtis Lofton and Ryan Reynolds are learning OU's system.
NORMAN -- When things are good for Oklahoma sophomore linebackers Curtis Lofton and Ryan Reynolds, the name-calling begins.

"He's 'Teddy' and I'm 'Lance' " Lofton said.

As in Teddy Lehman and Lance Mitchell, who made first- and second-team All-America as linebacking mates in 2003.

This spring, Lofton and Reynolds are side by side, starting at middle and strongside linebacker. Some day, if they're lucky, they'll remind everyone of Lehman and Mitchell on every play.

For now?

"We both have tons of work to do," Reynolds said. "I feel like we're making baby steps, getting there little by little."

That's pretty reasonable for a pair of 19-year-olds who haven't been on campus a year.

Reynolds arrived via Las Vegas' Bishop Gorman High School, where he was ESPN.com's No. 2 prep linebacker nationally. Lofton came from Kingfisher, where he was No. 9, according to Scout.com.

The 2005 season arrived, and the two did most of their head-banging on special teams while spot-playing at linebacker.

Then the season ended and things warped ahead.

The Sooners said goodbye to senior starting strongside linebacker Clint Ingram and called off spring practice for middle linebacker Zach Latimer and his ailing shoulder.

Reynolds grew from 222 pounds to 235 and switched from the weak to the strong side. Lofton shed 10 pounds of what he called "baby fat" and replaced it with 11 pounds of muscle.

And when the Sooners reported for spring practice, the two sophomores joined senior weakside linebacker Rufus Alexander with the starters.

"I've been real pleased," said Brent Venables, OU's linebackers coach and defensive coordinator. "They're not where we need them to be yet, but for the time being, they've picked things up pretty well."

"I'm starting to understand," said Lofton, who will likely hand the starting position back to Latimer at preseason camp next August. "I'm starting to see formations. I'm starting to understand my reads. A hundred percent of the battle is lining up and seeing the formations. I've got about 90 percent of that down right now."

"Coming out of high school, you just kind of line up and play," said Reynolds, who has a real shot at holding the strongside position when the Sooners open their '06 season. "In college, there are so many rules and fits. It's a whole other game.

"Just an inch here, an inch there matters a lot. I understand that now."

So their bodies have been sculpted and their minds are being shaped. It showed during last Saturday's scrimmage, when Lofton and Reynolds both made five tackles.

Still, it's a long way from making those plays on a Saturday that counts, when there are 84,000 fans at Owen Field and you haven't been clued in on what the offense is about to do. That's when Lehman and Mitchell once made so many plays.

"There's still a lot of practice to do," Reynolds said. "Me and Curtis, we'll do our best and hopefully things will work out."

eastxsooner
3/29/2006, 03:35 PM
Kinda looks like the WHORN Bobino ? Sorta and that's not a knock on Curtis.

NS5
3/30/2006, 09:10 AM
quote:
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Kinda looks like the WHORN Bobino
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Just mentioned that he was in the mold of Mitchell. Why would you
mention that he looks like some rag-tagged whorn.

SCOUT
3/30/2006, 10:37 AM
I can only hope those two play like Teddy and Lance.

I have a completely unrelated question. Is there any purpose for the strips of cloth the players wear around their elbows? TIA

Newbomb Turk
3/30/2006, 12:21 PM
I have a completely unrelated question. Is there any purpose for the strips of cloth the players wear around their elbows? TIA

to look cool. :cool:

Big John
4/1/2006, 10:00 AM
I think this is what you're talking about. Here's a longass link.
http://www.eastbay.com/catalog/productdetail.cfm?TID=5555-07010608560107080436497-0&module=equipment&action=sportsSearch&supercat=equipment&model_nbr=64151&sku=0020-402&id=54676&mvp=sport&sport=all

SCOUT
4/1/2006, 06:36 PM
Thanks for the link Big John. While I think Newbomb is probably right in his answer, it sounds like it is a sweat band for your elbow.

Newbomb Turk
4/1/2006, 07:04 PM
Thanks for the link Big John. While I think Newbomb is probably right in his answer, it sounds like it is a sweat band for your elbow.

PROBABLY!

;)

The Consumate Showman
4/1/2006, 07:16 PM
I have to say that I think Reynolds is going to be the better of the two...