PDA

View Full Version : picasso's avatar reminded me of something...

TopDawg
3/29/2006, 02:59 PM
Blue Like Jazz is a great book.

picasso
3/29/2006, 03:44 PM
brother lent it to me about a year ago, finally read it recently.

TopDawg
3/29/2006, 06:31 PM
My dad got it for me this past Christmas. It was at the bottom of my Christmas books reading list, but it was by far my favorite.

picasso
3/29/2006, 07:27 PM
so what did you think? certainly gives you a different perspective on things.

TopDawg
3/29/2006, 07:48 PM
heh...would it surprise you if I said I enjoyed it more because I agreed with a lot of the perspectives he gave?

but yeah, even still...it made me look at some things differently...a very challenging book

picasso
3/29/2006, 08:04 PM
heh...would it surprise you if I said I enjoyed it more because I agreed with a lot of the perspectives he gave?

but yeah, even still...it made me look at some things differently...a very challenging book
not at all. I was really talking about the intellectual side of being a Christian. he apparently grew up like me. and I also agree with him on the political and televangical angle he gives.
I told my girlfriend that the kids he ran around with and testified to made me feel like a feeble dufus.:D

honestly though, it reminded me so much of my time in art school. kids from both coasts, artists, musicians, vegans. it was an interesting time.

afs
3/29/2006, 10:57 PM
certainly the most realistic daily christian living book i've read.

his others are decent too.

TopDawg
3/31/2006, 01:50 AM
certainly the most realistic daily christian living book i've read.

his others are decent too.

Which did you like better? I've heard from one person that Searching For God Knows What was a big letdown after BLJ, but that Through Painted Deserts was supposed to be better (than SFGKW).

TopDawg
3/31/2006, 01:51 AM
I told my girlfriend that the kids he ran around with and testified to made me feel like a feeble dufus.:D

yeah, no kidding

TopDawg
2/2/2007, 08:39 PM
Which did you like better? I've heard from one person that Searching For God Knows What was a big letdown after BLJ, but that Through Painted Deserts was supposed to be better (than SFGKW).

Update: I read Through Painted Deserts. It was okay. He kinda pokes fun at Texas a few times in that one. It's slower than BLJ--more of a narrative--and isn't as full of "good stuff" as BLJ, but it still has some stuff that makes you think and will challenge ya.

I also enjoyed Velvet Elvis, A New Kind of Christian, and am currently reading A Generous Orthodoxy. Interesting books.