PDA

View Full Version : THE OFFICIAL MEN'S BB COACH SEARCH RUMOR THREAD

william_brasky
3/29/2006, 02:31 PM
Manute Bol was spotted in Norman, Oklahoma today speaking with University Officials.

oumartin
3/29/2006, 02:33 PM
so was Gonzo Gottlieb

william_brasky
3/29/2006, 02:37 PM
This is one I've actually heard from someone in Norman: Nolan Richardson was spotted in Norman today. :eek:

Jimminy Crimson
3/29/2006, 02:37 PM
John Hinckley Jr. was seen having lunch at Bison Witches with Joe Castiglione and David Boren.

You heard it here first! :texan:

Rock Hard Corn Frog
3/29/2006, 02:42 PM
Mark Turgeon just ordered a Goldies special and he is getting several sliced pickles from the pepper bar.

william_brasky
3/29/2006, 02:43 PM
The Coach from "The White Shadow" television show was seen at the Will Rogers Airport this morning.

mdklatt
3/29/2006, 03:02 PM
Manute Bol was spotted in Norman, Oklahoma today speaking with University Officials.

Are you sure it wasn't some other 8-foot-tall 90-pound black guy?

Skysooner
3/29/2006, 03:18 PM
My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Tubby pass out at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious.

william_brasky
3/29/2006, 03:20 PM
There are reports that Larry Eustachy was in Norman for a kegger last night.

SeattleOUstudent
3/29/2006, 03:20 PM
Dean Blevins says there is a 72% chance of NOlan being in town today.

Jimminy Crimson
3/29/2006, 03:21 PM
Are you sure it wasn't some other 8-foot-tall 90-pound black guy?

Just like: It's a different Chijioke Oneyenegecha :D

william_brasky
3/29/2006, 03:42 PM
Fred "Curly" Neal withdrew his name for the head coaching position earlier this afternoon. It is rumored that Neal and Castiglione got in a heated debate over scheduling The Washington Generals for all non-conference contests and changing the school fight song from "Boomer Sooner" to "Sweet Georgia Brown".

http://www.autographedtoyou.com/celebpics/fred_curley_neal3.jpg

Dio
3/29/2006, 03:47 PM
I saw Dave Bliss in front of Classic '50s with a sign that said "Will Coach for Food"

Jimminy Crimson
3/29/2006, 03:53 PM
I saw Dave Bliss in front of Classic '50s with a sign that said "Will Coach for Food"

If he waits a little bit longer, drinks will be half off!

MikeInNorman
3/29/2006, 03:54 PM
I'm hearing Chuck Long.

GDC
3/29/2006, 03:56 PM
Wayman Tisdale

okienole3
3/29/2006, 03:58 PM
Wayman Tisdale

If he is half as good at coaching as he is being at being a color commentator, then we would be............well awful.

chriscappel
3/29/2006, 04:01 PM
Larry Bird made an apperance....or maybe it was Harry??....

Rock Hard Corn Frog
3/29/2006, 04:05 PM
Wayman Tisdale

Yeah, if the players don't hustle he will punish them by listening to his album ;)

JohnnyMack
3/29/2006, 04:07 PM
Phil Jackson was spotted meditating on bench just north of the library.

sooneron
3/29/2006, 04:09 PM
I heard that Majerus was seen at the french fry bar at Red Robin!

JohnnyMack
3/29/2006, 04:11 PM
I heard that Majerus was seen in the french fry bar at Red Robin!

fixed.

DeadSolidPerfect
3/29/2006, 05:20 PM
The drunk guy from "Hoosiers" is out of rehab and ready to give coaching another shot.

stoops the eternal pimp
3/29/2006, 06:30 PM
I saw gene hackman in Norman....said he was peaved about being upstaged in Indiana....says he only wants to coach white boys

stoops the eternal pimp
3/29/2006, 06:31 PM
or Nick Nolte

stoops the eternal pimp
3/29/2006, 06:33 PM
or whoopi goldberg

suncoastsooner7
3/29/2006, 06:47 PM
This is one I've actually heard from someone in Norman: Nolan Richardson was spotted in Norman today. :eek:

Those rumors are actualy true but not because he is in town because of the coaching vacancy. He is attending some sort of bennifit in OKC this week.

sanantoniosooner
3/29/2006, 06:52 PM
Jimmy V has petitioned the grim reaper for an opportunity to coach at OU.

stoops the eternal pimp
3/29/2006, 06:52 PM
hopefully he isnt here with his shoot em up boy

Jeopardude
3/29/2006, 07:16 PM
Those rumors are actualy true but not because he is in town because of the coaching vacancy. He is attending some sort of bennifit in OKC this week.

True. It's the "Badd Spelers Bennifit" and it's at the Wadderferd.

suncoastsooner7
3/29/2006, 07:58 PM
True. It's the "Badd Spelers Bennifit" and it's at the Wadderferd.

Well then I should be one of those bennifitting from it then. :P

KMA :D

OklahomaTuba
3/29/2006, 09:08 PM
http://members.cox.net/outuba/schnelly.jpg
LNC better start making room for those national championship banners.

Oh, and he wont be runnin the wishbone either.

The Ensuing Kickoff
3/29/2006, 09:37 PM
This is real.

My brother's roommate has a friend who is a secretarial assistant in the Athletic Department. She said that this morning there were three names written on a pad next to a phone in JC's office. One of them was crossed off. The two names that weren't crossed off were Larry Bird and Steve Alford. The one that was crossed off was Mark Few. Also, she said that there were three sets of initials written below the names, beneath a horizontal line. Those were: "JG", "TS", and either "TG" or "TC".

She went back this afternoon but the pad was gone. She wasn't even sure if JC had even been in today, though.

Sooner_75
3/29/2006, 10:10 PM
Tubby Smith! He has never received the respect he deserves at Kentucky. Then again I don't think Kelvin Sampson got the respect he deserved at OU.

sanantoniosooner
3/29/2006, 10:12 PM
I'd love to have Tubby, but I couldn't see him leaving unless the pressure is just to high at UK.

BillyBall
3/29/2006, 10:14 PM
I'd love to have Tubby, but I couldn't see him leaving unless the pressure is just to high at UK.

Why do you like boring basketball? ;)

Sooner_75
3/29/2006, 10:14 PM
The fans are all over him. They booed his son when he played there. I also have read that his wife is not happy in Lexington.

sanantoniosooner
3/29/2006, 10:16 PM
Why do you like boring basketball? ;)
Tubby has always been a good tournament coach. Tulsa, UGA, and UK.

How many coaches have had 3 different teams in the sweet 16?

King Crimson
3/29/2006, 10:21 PM
jesus, Tuba. I've gone blind.

Soonerus
3/29/2006, 10:52 PM
Inside source: Chris "the Birdman" Anderson was seen at Boren's house...

Ruprecht
3/30/2006, 08:10 PM
This may not be the job we think it is.

We seem to have a pattern of success wherein the man for the job has high expectations and low morals.....

mOUse
3/30/2006, 08:12 PM
Jason Skurzynski will coach OU next season!!!:P

OUstud
3/30/2006, 08:15 PM
This is real.

My brother's roommate has a friend who is a secretarial assistant in the Athletic Department. She said that this morning there were three names written on a pad next to a phone in JC's office. One of them was crossed off. The two names that weren't crossed off were Larry Bird and Steve Alford. The one that was crossed off was Mark Few. Also, she said that there were three sets of initials written below the names, beneath a horizontal line. Those were: "JG", "TS", and either "TG" or "TC".

She went back this afternoon but the pad was gone. She wasn't even sure if JC had even been in today, though.

I call bullspit!

william_brasky
3/31/2006, 03:58 AM
Jason Skurzynski will coach OU next season!!!:P

Ski would be a great coach. No doubt.

GDC
3/31/2006, 08:42 AM
Indianapolis becomes Sooner rumor central
By DAVE SITTLER World Sports Writer
3/31/2006

INDIANAPOLIS -- Everywhere you look in this city you see signs with the same message: "The Road Ends Here." They should add this postscript: "And the rumors start here."

The coaching rumor mill shifted into high gear Thursday as people started pouring into town, reaching college basketball's destination point on the Road To The Final Four.

And the hottest topic was who Oklahoma athletic director Joe Castiglione will go after now that Kelvin Sampson is coaching the Indiana Hoosiers after 12 seasons with the Sooners.

Arizona State is the other marquee job that's open. But most of the speculation focused on OU after Tuesday's stunning news that Indiana had hired Sampson.

The two most intriguing rumors along press row came from a couple of well-connected sportswriters from Boston and Omaha.

The Boston writer confirmed that Memphis coach John Calipari told him he was interested in the OU job.

The scribe from Omaha, meanwhile, said OU is the dream job for Creighton coach Dana Altman. But Altman reportedly is on the short list at Arizona State, and will take the first job that's offered.

I'm not finished. If Altman does depart after rebuilding Creighton into one of top mid-major programs, Oral

Roberts coach Scott Sutton would be a strong candidate to replace Altman at the school where Sutton's father, Eddie, got his first Division I job.

Oh, one more thing: Kentucky coach Tubby Smith isn't interested in replacing Sampson at OU. That's not a rumor; Smith said as much when I asked him about a report that he might be looking to move on because he's tired of the pressure and criticism that goes with coaching the Wildcats.

"No, I'm not (interested)," Smith said of the OU job. "I know Oklahoma's an outstanding job; I almost took it once."

Smith, then Tulsa's coach, briefly accepted OU's job offer when Billy Tubbs left for TCU. But he changed his mind on the drive back to Tulsa, which led to the Sooners hiring Sampson.

"Oklahoma's a great program," Smith said. "They will get an outstanding coach."

Some insiders aren't convinced that Smith has definitely ruled out considering a job change. Kentucky fans, never known for their patience, were upset by this season's 22-13 record and second round NCAA Tournament loss to No. 1 seed UConn.

"I've been at Kentucky nine years, and I can tell you right now that there are a lot of people who wish I hadn't been there one year," Smith said. "But then there are some that would still like to have me there much longer."

If Smith is out of OU's reach, Castiglione certainly could make a big splash if he lands Calipari, who led Memphis to a No. 1 seed in the Big Dance where the Tigers lost in the Elite Eight to UCLA.

Some insiders insist Calipari has been looking to get out of Memphis from almost the first day he arrived. He reportedly made an attempt to get involved in the Indiana job, but lost out to Sampson.

In his discussion with the Boston writer, Calipari said he's friends with Castiglione. Known for his flamboyant style, Calipari even joked about coaching in a conference (Big 12) that also included controversial coaches like Texas Tech's Bob Knight and Kansas State's Bob Huggins.

With OU already under NCAA investigation for violations by Sampson and his staff, Castiglione might consider Calipari a risky hire. When Calipari coached at UMass, his program came under heavy scrutiny by the NCAA.

Altman is the polar opposite of Calipari with his low-key approach. And the fact that he's been close friends with OU football coach Bob Stoops since they worked together at Kansas State doesn't hurt Altman's chances with the Sooners.

But Altman was forced out at K-State, leaving for Creighton before he was fired. While he's rebuilt his reputation in Omaha, Altman's experience at K-State would make him a tough sell for Castiglione with OU fans.

The Omaha writer, with connections directly to Altman, said the Creighton coach is concerned Castiglione's decision to use a consulting firm to aid in his search could slow down the process. So if Arizona State offers first, he'll take it.

Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim is an Altman supporter. Asked who he'd recommend for the OU job, Boeheim said, "I'm not going to name the Oklahoma coach, but look what Dana Altman's done at Creighton. And Mark Turgeon at Wichita State. And John Pelphrey (South Alabama).

"There are 10 to 15 guys that I could pick. It's a good time to be needing a coach, because you can get a good one."

And the more names out there means the rumor mill will soon hit warp speed..

william_brasky
3/31/2006, 08:54 AM
Calipari's interested?

I'm shocked. I didn't think we had a shot at him.