PDA

View Full Version : Kellen Sampson

jccouger
3/29/2006, 12:04 AM
So what happens now for him? Does he stay on the team? Does he go ot Indiana with his dad? If he leaves does that open up another scholarship spot for us to recruit another player?

Skysooner
3/29/2006, 12:07 AM
Depends on his major I would guess. Transferring can be such a PITA.

jccouger
3/29/2006, 12:09 AM
He never really was that talented. I would think that our future coach may even cut him.

usmc-sooner
3/29/2006, 12:12 AM
we'll probably get another cheerleader,

one that doesn't look like Adam Sandler

:D

Gandalf_The_Grey
3/29/2006, 12:17 AM
I doubt we would get a scholarship for a non scholarship athlete...I am just saying ;)

Ruuuuuufus
3/29/2006, 12:32 AM
he does exactly what a walk-on is supposed to do. Helps motivate and is a good practice guy.

Catch 22
3/29/2006, 12:46 AM
yea, no need in bashing him, he did everything he could as a walk-on.

Eielson
3/29/2006, 08:13 AM
I bet he gets a lot of playing time with our new coach. Probably takes Neal's spot.

TheHumanAlphabet
3/29/2006, 08:47 AM
Wish him no ill will, however, if is name wasn't Sampson, he would have been told "Thank you very much" long ago...

CobraKai
3/29/2006, 08:59 AM
Wish him no ill will, however, if is name wasn't Sampson, he would have been told "Thank you very much" long ago...

Why? Name one walk-on in America that does more? Guys, he is a walk-on. They are supposed to clap on the bench, help out in practice, and jack up a few threes to the crowd's delight late in games when we are up by 20.

TheHumanAlphabet
3/29/2006, 09:20 AM
I think OU had a few better walk ons...Hey got no problem with what you said. Still think few walkons would have stayed around as long.

GottaHavePride
3/29/2006, 09:25 AM
Michael Cano stayed around.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
3/29/2006, 09:35 AM
I'll say this I'm more confortable with Kellen with the ball than I am with Chris Walker. From everything I've read and heard he has done all that you could expect a walk-on to do. I'd rather he stays if that is what he wants. Besides until we know 1. what NCAA sanctions we face and if any players leave & 2. Who are new coach is and what system he runs we don't know that he won't be playing a lot of minutes next year.

the_ouskull
3/29/2006, 09:58 AM
Kellen won't be playing a lot of mintues at OU ever. Or at Indiana for that matter. Nepotism, however, is not why he's on the team. He's on the team because he goes to class, makes good grades, busts his *** in practice, and always has a positive attitude. Most of the posters on this board could learn from him...

the_ouskull

Taxman71
3/29/2006, 10:32 AM
I blame Kellen for all of Bookout's injuries. All that chest bumping will takes its toll in time.

Sooner Schemer
3/29/2006, 11:15 AM
I blame Kellen for all of Bookout's injuries. All that chest bumping will takes its toll in time.
Wasn't it Kellen that dislocated DeAngelo Alexander's shoulder?
Maybe we'll stay healthier without him acting as practice enforcer.

Jimminy Crimson
3/29/2006, 11:38 AM
Wouldn't surprise me to see Kellen stay around. He's one of the better walk-ons in the country in what he brings to the team. Kellen wants to get into coaching and staying at OU and learning another system could only help him.

Taxman71
3/29/2006, 12:13 PM
No way in hades does the new coach want the ex-coach's son as a walk-on. Too many oddities there. That would be basketball's version of a step-dad:

"You're not my real dad, errr coach"

yermom
3/29/2006, 12:37 PM
what year is he? could he even play anywhere if he transferred?

Gdog
3/29/2006, 01:52 PM
A buddy of mine brought up a good point about Kellen before we knew about the Indy job and the "Kelvin to ASU" rumor was swirling. Maybe Kelvin wanted to teach his son how to go through a coaching change. Makes sense and I bet he winds up at Indiana.

usmc-sooner
3/29/2006, 02:52 PM
Kellen won't be playing a lot of mintues at OU ever. Or at Indiana for that matter. Nepotism, however, is not why he's on the team. He's on the team because he goes to class, makes good grades, busts his *** in practice, and always has a positive attitude. Most of the posters on this board could learn from him...

the_ouskull

you've just described over 50% of all HS athletes. :D

the_ouskull
3/30/2006, 12:04 AM
Did you even READ the "makes good grades" and "has a positive attitude" part? How does THAT describe HS athletes...? :D

the_ouskull

Soonerus
3/30/2006, 12:21 AM
I think Dad left Kellen in one heck of a pickle...he's a great kid...

BarryBnds
3/30/2006, 01:30 AM
As much as I was opposed to Kelvin's coaching style Kellen is a stand up kid that any program would love to have. He always seems to be pushing the guys that are out there to do better and I'm sure he has the same work ethic in practice.

Jay C. Upchurch
3/30/2006, 01:46 AM
Just an FYI about Kellen...

According to his dad, he is staying on at OU and will earn his degree after next season.

Crimsontothecore
3/30/2006, 09:11 AM
could he even play anywhere if he transferred?
Sure he could......At a Division3 school.

NickZeppelin
3/30/2006, 09:18 AM
Kellen Sampson wanted to stay at OU because he was raised in Norman and wanted to graduate from the school. Kelvin said he would be at his senior night but Kellen said it will be tough to finish his career without his father as coach.'

Link (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/columns/story?columnist=katz_andy&id=2389579)

Rock Hard Corn Frog
3/30/2006, 09:54 AM
Sure he could......At a Division3 school.

That is a bit harsh. First of all he does everything you hope a walk-on would do and second I still think that if it came down to it I'd rather have the ball in his hand's than Chris Walker's.

I know that all his play has been in mop up time the last two years but I looked at the stats. He has played 80 minutes, and has scored 21 points with 12 assists and 9 rebounds, shooting 4-9 from 3-point range.

Is he a Big 12 caliber b-ball player? No. Could he play at a smaller DI school like ORU, UMKC or Belmont? I think so. I'm willing to bet the new coach will appreciate his effort.

Gandalf_The_Grey
3/30/2006, 10:01 AM
Yeah attacking a guy who has practiced and hustled with guys with 10 times his ability while being ridiculed by people sitting behind a computer who have never been apart of a division 1 program is beyond me

yermom
3/30/2006, 10:13 AM
That is a bit harsh. First of all he does everything you hope a walk-on would do and second I still think that if it came down to it I'd rather have the ball in his hand's than Chris Walker's.

I know that all his play has been in mop up time the last two years but I looked at the stats. He has played 80 minutes, and has scored 21 points with 12 assists and 9 rebounds, shooting 4-9 from 3-point range.

Is he a Big 12 caliber b-ball player? No. Could he play at a smaller DI school like ORU, UMKC or Belmont? I think so. I'm willing to bet the new coach will appreciate his effort.

my question was based on eligibility, btw

Vegas Sooner
3/30/2006, 02:08 PM
Just an FYI about Kellen...

According to his dad, he is staying on at OU and will earn his degree after next season.

but will he take someone's spot?

Taxman71
3/30/2006, 02:21 PM
Wouldn't Kelvin basically have to ask the new coach to let Kellen stay on the team as a matter of professional courtesy? Would Kelvin want that to happen to him? I doubt it. Kelvin seems like a chronically paranoid person and would not want the ex-coach's son on his team. I doubt he would ask that of his successor. Besides, isn't Kellen on the team solely to be with his dad?

That being said, Kellen seems alright and has done nothing to warrant removal. The whole situation just seems too strange to occur.

1stTimeCaller
3/30/2006, 02:31 PM
Kellen is no different than any other walk on. Kind of...

Rock Hard Corn Frog
3/30/2006, 02:33 PM
Unless Kellen is a frakkin cylon sleeper agent I don't see a problem with him staying....

soonerscuba
3/30/2006, 02:38 PM
Whoa, whoa, whoa. Kellen does what any of us would do in his position, I got no problem with him. However, the greatest cheerleader of all time was Jozsef Szendrei, that guy could pump up the crowd.

LilSooner
3/30/2006, 03:05 PM
Ok folks lets not include Michael (I dribble the basketball off of my foot) Canno into this conversation.

That dude was such a tool.

1stTimeCaller
3/30/2006, 03:19 PM
Ok folks lets not include Renzi (I dribble the basketball off of my foot and fall down every third trip down the court) Stone into this conversation.

That dude was such a tool.

fixed ;)

yermom
3/30/2006, 04:16 PM

is there a limit to the roster size?

something tells me he doesn't really need a scholarship to afford to go to school

Rock Hard Corn Frog
3/30/2006, 04:21 PM
is there a limit to the roster size?

something tells me he doesn't really need a scholarship to afford to go to school

Word is that Kellen is going to do some telemarketing over the summer to help pay for tuition. ;)

Taxman71
3/30/2006, 04:42 PM
Whoa, whoa, whoa. Kellen does what any of us would do in his position, I got no problem with him. However, the greatest cheerleader of all time was Jozsef Szendrei, that guy could pump up the crowd.

You are forgetting about Ski!

soonerspiff
3/30/2006, 07:04 PM
Not to be a jerk, but I don't think Kellen could be a scholarship player on the D-1 level, even at an ORU or UMKC. He's a good walk-on, does what he needs to do and more.

But having said that, I've met him a couple times at different parties or whatever (I'm a soph at OU) and he's kind of come across as full of himself? I'll give him the benefit of the doubt though, maybe I just read him wrong or something. Anyway, if he leaves I'm sure there are a ton of other kids that would be dying for the chance to be involved in a D-1 basketball program.

Collier11
3/30/2006, 08:06 PM
Why? Name one walk-on in America that does more? Guys, he is a walk-on. They are supposed to clap on the bench, help out in practice, and jack up a few threes to the crowd's delight late in games when we are up by 20.

For starters the guy averaged 6 pts a game as a senior in hs, I can name a thousand guys who were better than him in hs that would provide just the same attitude, his last name is the only reason he was on the team and not that that was bad, but...

Collier11
3/30/2006, 08:07 PM
But having said that, I've met him a couple times at different parties or whatever (I'm a soph at OU) and he's kind of come across as full of himself

Ive partied with him several times as well and I got the same assumption, he came in with terell everett once and was talking loud as hell and was stumbling over himself because he was so wasted(not a bad thing, I was too) and made it a point that every person knew who he was

soonermark
3/30/2006, 08:21 PM
Ive partied with him several times as well and I got the same assumption, he came in with terell everett once and was talking loud as hell and was stumbling over himself because he was so wasted(not a bad thing, I was too) and made it a point that every person knew who he was

I'm Kellen Sampson, bitch.

Collier11
3/30/2006, 08:31 PM
ha ha ha ha ha ha

Gandalf_The_Grey
3/30/2006, 09:07 PM
Hell if my daddy was Sampson, i would try to use it to get laid ;)

SoonerShark
3/30/2006, 09:44 PM
Kellen did reasonably well in the mop-up minutes I witnessed. And if your daddy's position and power did not matter, we would have Al Gore as president today. Wait a second, his daddy was a big shot, too. Sometimes the best don't get the spot on the end of the bench, but Kelvin's teams have always been respectful of the walk-ons. I hope Kellen does well and graduates from OU, filling his spot on the end of the bench.

After 12 years, it was time for Kelvin to move on. (Has anyone ever realized that a marriage license is the only one that does not expire?)

Gandalf_The_Grey
3/30/2006, 09:49 PM
If President was elected on skill alone, Dean is President, I could deal with that ;)

Collier11
3/30/2006, 09:56 PM
Im not doggin the guy for taking advantage of an oppurtunity that he may not have gotten otherwise and making the most of it, just sayin that he probably isnt the most viable for that spot on the bench

Rhino
3/30/2006, 10:05 PM
If he stays, fantastic.

If he goes, we can find someone to play in seven games and score two points in a season.

Jimminy Crimson
3/30/2006, 10:07 PM
If he stays, fantastic.

If he goes, we can find someone to play in seven games and score two points in a season.

But what about chest-bumping?

Who can fill that role?

Gandalf_The_Grey
3/30/2006, 10:15 PM
If he stays, fantastic.

Well you have to realize that those 2 points are 42% of our offense last year ;)

OUstud
3/30/2006, 11:08 PM
Don't forget the pregame piggy back rides on players coming off shoulder surgeries!

JohnnyMack
3/30/2006, 11:17 PM
:D

OKC-SLC
3/30/2006, 11:24 PM
heh.

Ahmed Kabba.

heh.

NorthernIowaSooner
3/30/2006, 11:39 PM

unless its another walk on, no. i dont really think theres much of a limit on players and with very few scholarship players on the team, they need bodies.

Gandalf_The_Grey
3/30/2006, 11:43 PM
unless its another walk on, no. i dont really think theres much of a limit on players and with very few scholarship players on the team, they need bodies.

I wish everyone's first post was this awesome....watch him zoom to green ;)