PDA

View Full Version : OK, So What Happens Now?

Sooner04
3/28/2006, 11:56 PM
I'm still in shock over the events of today.

First, I'd like to thank Kelvin Sampson for a dozen damn solid years of basketball here at Oklahoma. Thanks for the memories, Kelvin.

Now, where do we go from here? Who do we hire? Who do we pursue? This is the reason we pay Castiglione the big bucks, even though I don't think we can convince Gene Stephenson to leave Wichita and come coach basketball here.

If I have any say in the matter, and I don't, I can only plead one thing: PLEASE DO NOT HIRE A DUKE ASSISTANT!

Mike Brey - Mediocre at Notre Dame
Tommy Amaker - Mediocre at Seton Hall and Michigan
Quin Snyder - Oi.

Yes, Johnny Dawkins is interesting, but hiring a Duke assistant is like drafting a Penn State running back. For every Franco Harris you get a Curtis Enis.

I'll categorize the next few:

THROW THE KITCHEN SINK AT THEM:
1. Lorenzo Romar - Washington: I love this guy. Absolutely love him. Too bad U-Dub is his alma mater. He's taken the Huskies to three straight NCAA Tournaments with back-to-back Sweet 16 appearances. Great coach!

2. Mark Few - Gonzaga: In all honesty, how much more can he do in Spokane? Sure, he'll smoke through the WCC every year, but he's reached the ceiling up there. He's just watched the best offensive player he'll ever coach play his last game. He's just watched his team run the conference table and still only get rewarded with a 3-seed. Compare that to the 1-seed Memphis received from Conference USA and you can see why things might've plateaued at Gonzaga.

3. Mike Montgomery - Unemployed: It worked for Pitino. It worked for Calipari. It can work for Mike Montgomery. His time with Golden State was a disaster thanks to Baron Davis and he's itching to get back into the college game. Took the Cardinal to the Final Four in '98 and several top-ten rankings. He'd be a steal.

KEEP THEM IN YOUR MIND:
1. Mark Turgeon - Wichita State: God, that "Turgeon's a Virgin" chant was greatness, but this guy can indeed coach. I'm always concerned about the mid-major flashes in the pan, but this guy has built Wichita State into a solid program. He's not a Stan Heath, who parlayed a very hot March into an SEC job at Arkansas. Turgeon's built the Shockers up to beyond solid by slow progressions. He knows the drill, and he'd be a hell of a hire.

2. Bob Hoffman - Oklahoma: He's been successful wherever he's coached and has a brilliant offensive mind. Was completely handcuffed under Kelvin, but when he's been the man, he's thrived.

3. Mystery Candidate: You know someone out of left field will get serious consideration.

4. Scott Sutton - Oral Roberts: Just because his last name is Sutton does not mean the World would end if he came here. UT's stadium is named after DKR, after all. If you can win at ORU, you can win anywhere.

Personally, I don't know what's going to happen. After getting burned by Stephenson, Joe Castiglione might be a little gun-shy about making the big splash hire. This hire is going to be almost as big as football search of '98. Basketball is still big business here at OU, and we're going to need a coach quick to shore up the situation in the frontcourt and also exercise some damage control amongst the recruits.

As I see it, there's only one man for the job.

Go ahead, Joe, make it happen.

http://augustasports.com/images/headlines/122098/georgia.jpg

;)

King Crimson
3/29/2006, 12:07 AM
if Dawkins was going to go anywhere, he would have already done it.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
3/29/2006, 12:47 AM
terry evans ;)

skycat
3/29/2006, 12:55 AM
Phog.net has a thread about Gottlieb suggesting Self as an out-of-left-field candidate. He says Self isn't happy with the support he's getting, and that he'd mostly be using the job for leverage, but...

Lawd I'd love that.

Catch 22
3/29/2006, 12:57 AM
I don't think B Hoffman has a chance. Not saying he doesn't deserve a chance. OU doesn't hire from within. They need something big. I think.

msteudem
3/29/2006, 12:58 AM
Phog.net has a thread about Gottlieb suggesting Self as an out-of-left-field candidate. He says Self isn't happy with the support he's getting, and that he'd mostly be using the job for leverage, but...

Lawd I'd love that.

If I root for getting Bill as our next coach does that make me SELFish?;)

KStatePike
3/29/2006, 02:31 AM
Oh man, if you hire Bill Self I would crap myself. Lawrence would implode.

soonerbub
3/29/2006, 04:23 AM
I like Montgomery the best out of your "kitchen sink" guys. Romar won't leave and Few would be Kelvin II.

Keep them in your mind:

Turgeon--you of all people surely don't want a Larry Brown disciple.

Hoffman--IMO all ties with current assistants should be terminated--he had his own way of exacerbating our problems

Left field--jkm covered it (if Joe finds no takers this weekend he could be on the job in 5 days)

You would find :eddie: passed out at the middle school if Scott--no, just no.

Consider me in left field on this one.

nebraskaSOONER
3/29/2006, 08:30 AM
Here would be a great one.....Dana Altman at Creighton. He has it pretty good there and I know is Iowa bred but they talk up here that he wouldn't leave Creighton unless there was something big time better, wouldn't that be OU? CALL HIM!!!!

Sooner04
3/29/2006, 03:06 PM
Altman would have a hard time getting big-time talent in here, IMO.

Another name is the head coach of George Washington. I think his name is Hobbs, I can't recall his exact name, but I saw G-Dub play three or four times this year and I was more than impressed each time.

C&CDean
3/29/2006, 03:13 PM

Lawd I'd love that.

If Self ain't happy with the "support he's getting" at KU, he'd be downright miserable here.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
3/29/2006, 03:19 PM
Here would be a great one.....Dana Altman at Creighton. He has it pretty good there and I know is Iowa bred but they talk up here that he wouldn't leave Creighton unless there was something big time better, wouldn't that be OU? CALL HIM!!!!

I originally wasn't too warm on the idea of Altman since he had mixed results at KSU but it you look at his record since it is pretty impressive. I'm with Sooner04 in that it probably isn't a hire that is going to have a bunch of blue chips knocking on our door but he is successful and our chances are close to 0% of having any NCAA problems.

I don't want a coach that has just been good this year or last year. I'd rather they have some track record over time of being good.

1stTimeCaller
3/29/2006, 03:23 PM
Joe Holladay.

stonecoldsoonerfan
3/29/2006, 04:08 PM
If Self ain't happy with the "support he's getting" at KU, he'd be downright miserable here.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to C&CDean again.

Grimey
3/29/2006, 05:00 PM
4. Scott Sutton - Oral Roberts: Just because his last name is Sutton does not mean the World would end if he came here. UT's stadium is named after DKR, after all. If you can win at ORU, you can win anywhere.

Believe it or not, I kinda like this one. I brought his name up the other day, somewhat in jest. Too bad his last name is Sutton, cause I think he would be a good fit.

skycat
3/29/2006, 05:04 PM

You guys have quite a bit more money than they do in Lawerence.

But I don't think there's any way in Hell he's leaving ku.

Salt City Sooner
3/29/2006, 05:40 PM
MEGA 'spek.

TopDawg
3/29/2006, 06:30 PM

That was my first thought too...but it made so little sense to me (that Self would come to OU because he's upset with the support he's getting at KU) that I figured he MUST be talking about support from the administration, not fan support.

suncoastsooner7
3/29/2006, 07:36 PM
I'm still in shock over the events of today.

Probably while dancing in the streets thoug, right?

First, I'd like to thank Kelvin Sampson for a dozen damn solid years of basketball here at Oklahoma. Thanks for the memories, Kelvin.

In four years this is the first time I have seen you give Kelvin any due respect for the job he has performed. "Too little too late" is the phrase that comes to mind.

Now, where do we go from here? Who do we hire? Who do we pursue? This is the reason we pay Castiglione the big bucks, even though I don't think we can convince Gene Stephenson to leave Wichita and come coach basketball here.

Kermitz could make our free throw shooting and tre ball accuracy the best in the country if he comes with. ;)

If I have any say in the matter, and I don't, I can only plead one thing: PLEASE DO NOT HIRE A DUKE ASSISTANT!

Mike Brey - Mediocre at Notre Dame
Tommy Amaker - Mediocre at Seton Hall and Michigan
Quin Snyder - Oi.
Yes, Johnny Dawkins is interesting, but hiring a Duke assistant is like drafting a Penn State running back. For every Franco Harris you get a Curtis Enis.

Larry Johnson isn't doing too darn shabby.

What about UNC assistants? It would be a real kick in the crotch to Kansas if we brought in Holladay and he was successful.

I'll categorize the next few:

THROW THE KITCHEN SINK AT THEM:
1. Lorenzo Romar - Washington: I love this guy. Absolutely love him. Too bad U-Dub is his alma mater. He's taken the Huskies to three straight NCAA Tournaments with back-to-back Sweet 16 appearances. Great coach!

Lorenzo Romar is not leaving Washington!!! Rinse, wash, repeat. It is his dream job, he is a native Washingtonian (term?), and alumnus of UDub.

2. Mark Few - Gonzaga: In all honesty, how much more can he do in Spokane? Sure, he'll smoke through the WCC every year, but he's reached the ceiling up there. He's just watched the best offensive player he'll ever coach play his last game. He's just watched his team run the conference table and still only get rewarded with a 3-seed. Compare that to the 1-seed Memphis received from Conference USA and you can see why things might've plateaued at Gonzaga.

He loves living on the West coast and has already turned down jobs that are just as prominent and more willing to pay the price that aname such as his commands.

3. Mike Montgomery - Unemployed: It worked for Pitino. It worked for Calipari. It can work for Mike Montgomery. His time with Golden State was a disaster thanks to Baron Davis and he's itching to get back into the college game. Took the Cardinal to the Final Four in '98 and several top-ten rankings. He'd be a steal.

I haven't seen this name tossed out yet. It would be a good hire but I don't know if the Oklahoma job would very inticing to him. We are not exactly an overly attractive job right now, to put it mildly, in the national perspective.

KEEP THEM IN YOUR MIND:
1. Mark Turgeon - Wichita State: God, that "Turgeon's a Virgin" chant was greatness, but this guy can indeed coach. I'm always concerned about the mid-major flashes in the pan, but this guy has built Wichita State into a solid program. He's not a Stan Heath, who parlayed a very hot March into an SEC job at Arkansas. Turgeon's built the Shockers up to beyond solid by slow progressions. He knows the drill, and he'd be a hell of a hire.

I have heard some things that makes me wary of his hiring by us. I don't know the verocity but a number of people, including an employee of mine, have said that he has made some less than kind comments directed towards our University in the past.

2. Bob Hoffman - Oklahoma: He's been successful wherever he's coached and has a brilliant offensive mind. Was completely handcuffed under Kelvin, but when he's been the man, he's thrived.

Lets keep in mind the level that he has thrived at; not exactly Oklahoma level of compition, or even mid major for that matter.

3. Mystery Candidate: You know someone out of left field will get serious consideration.

Well isn't that enlightening. :rolleyes:

DKR isn't welcome in Norman anymore either. I would rather we hire Nolan Richardson or Chuck Long than a Sutton. I could get past a man being a stoolwater aggie and being at the helm of of a Sooner program in just about any sports other than football and basketball. We would never hear the end of it from the step children.

Personally, I don't know what's going to happen. After getting burned by Stephenson, Joe Castiglione might be a little gun-shy about making the big splash hire. This hire is going to be almost as big as football search of '98. Basketball is still big business here at OU, and we're going to need a coach quick to shore up the situation in the frontcourt and also exercise some damage control amongst the recruits.

As I see it, there's only one man for the job.

Go ahead, Joe, make it happen.

http://augustasports.com/images/headlines/122098/georgia.jpg

;)

I just lost my lunch.

suncoastsooner7
3/29/2006, 07:56 PM
I haven't seen this name tossed out yet. It would be a good hire but I don't know if the Oklahoma job would very inticing to him. We are not exactly an overly attractive job right now, to put it mildly, in the national perspective.

Well this answers that...

By Darnell Mayberry
The Oklahoman

OAKLAND, Calif. --- As his Golden State Warriors warmed up for Wednesday night's game against the Hornets, coach Mike Montgomery was asked if he was interested in the Oklahoma job vacated by Kelvin Sampson .

The short answer: "No."

"There've been no reports (in me returning to college), and there's no interest," said Montgomery, who coached at Stanford before jumping to the NBA. "I had a better job than Oklahoma before, why would I go back there when I was at Stanford?"

:(

tanjou
3/29/2006, 08:53 PM
"I had a better job than Oklahoma before, why would I go back there when I was at Stanford?"
http://img518.imageshack.us/img518/9916/superslam9ct.jpg

Sooner_Bob
3/29/2006, 09:55 PM
I mentioned Johnny Dawkins a couple of weeks ago and still think he'd be a solid hire.

Harry Beanbag
3/29/2006, 10:08 PM
http://img518.imageshack.us/img518/9916/superslam9ct.jpg

This post cracked me up. Good jorb. http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/images/icons/icon14.gif

Sooner04
3/29/2006, 10:46 PM
In four years this is the first time I have seen you give Kelvin any due respect for the job he has performed. "Too little too late" is the phrase that comes to mind.
I disagree. I think I've supported OU men's basketball under Kelvin Sampson as heartily as anybody on this board. I've supported it with my butt in the seat, both home and away, and with my pocketbook as a member of the Tip-In Club.

Did I begin to think Kelvin had plateaued here at OU? Yes. He's very much like Billy in that he never quite recovered from losing in the Final Four to an inferior team. I also think the decimation of the '03-04 recruiting class waged a heavy toll on him. Lavender was his guy for five years, and it didn't work out for one reason or another. That had to devastate him.

This move could work out great for all involved or it could blow up in the face of everyone. Only time will tell, but I'm excited about the prospects of the future.

Stoop Dawg
3/29/2006, 11:20 PM
I disagree. I think I've supported OU men's basketball under Kelvin Sampson as heartily as anybody on this board. I've supported it with my butt in the seat, both home and away, and with my pocketbook as a member of the Tip-In Club.

Did I begin to think Kelvin had plateaued here at OU? Yes. He's very much like Billy in that he never quite recovered from losing in the Final Four to an inferior team. I also think the decimation of the '03-04 recruiting class waged a heavy toll on him. Lavender was his guy for five years, and it didn't work out for one reason or another. That had to devastate him.

This move could work out great for all involved or it could blow up in the face of everyone. Only time will tell, but I'm excited about the prospects of the future.

Of all the people I love to hate on this board, 04 is the most level-headed.

Sooner04
3/29/2006, 11:21 PM
Of all the people I love to hate on this board, 04 is the most level-headed.
:)

Thanks.