PDA

View Full Version : WE'RE NOT IN TROUBLE WITH THE NCAA!!!

emoinwinter
3/28/2006, 10:43 PM
Here is a quote from an article on ESPN (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2387372):

Sampson's hiring comes while Oklahoma is waiting to hear from the NCAA on a potential April infractions hearing involving excessive phone calls. The university said in January that from April 2000 to Sept. 2004, members of the men's basketball program made impermissible calls to 17 prospects and made three impermissible in-person contacts with recruits, improperly giving a T-shirt to a recruit and a parent.

The NCAA also said Sampson failed to monitor the staff's phone calls to recruits during this time. The university self-imposed a two-year probation from July 1, 2005 to July 1, 2007; reduced scholarships from 13 to 11 for 2005-06 and 13 to 12 from 2006-07; reduced the number of phone calls coaches could make to recruits; limited off-campus recruiting from July 2005 through the 2006-07 academic year; cut paid visits down from 12 to nine for this past season; froze Sampson's salary increases and postseason bonuses for a two-year period.

According to NCAA rules, if penalties are imposed by the committee of infractions on a coach that are over and above what the institution already has self-imposed, then the new school (Indiana) would have to impose those penalties or else Sampson would have to appear before the committee and show cause why the school shouldn't be required to do so.

Oklahoma now must wait for the April hearing to see if any additional sanctions apply to the school.

Now what I would assume with that is that Indiana probably met with the NCAA to see if further penalties would be imposed. I'm sure they wouldn't want to hire somebody if they are going to have to incur penalities for it. So what that means is the penalities that we have already self-imposed are most-likely good enough. What do you guys think?

TheHumanAlphabet
3/28/2006, 10:57 PM
Given that the NCAA is headquartered in Indianapolis, I would think IU has had a few conversations...

TopDawg
3/28/2006, 11:03 PM
Oh, and Miles Brand used to be the president at IU.

I agree, this looks like a good sign re: NCAA sanctions.

OUGreg723
3/28/2006, 11:17 PM
SWEEET!

King Crimson
3/28/2006, 11:20 PM
that's what my dad said: that Iu isn't hiring someone with punishments. he's a lawyer. i still think that phrase "failed to monitor" is pretty funny/telling.

TheHumanAlphabet
3/29/2006, 12:37 AM
So were those phrases requested by OU to have Sampson move on without having to fire him?

Telling how is bonuses were frozen and his rollover contract and pay raises not renewed...

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
3/29/2006, 12:43 AM
[devils advocate]or, they just made sure the punishments wouldn't follow him [/devils advocate]

Rock Hard Corn Frog
3/29/2006, 09:59 AM
Here is a quote from an article on ESPN (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2387372):

Sampson's hiring comes while Oklahoma is waiting to hear from the NCAA on a potential April infractions hearing involving excessive phone calls. The university said in January that from April 2000 to Sept. 2004, members of the men's basketball program made impermissible calls to 17 prospects and made three impermissible in-person contacts with recruits, improperly giving a T-shirt to a recruit and a parent.

The NCAA also said Sampson failed to monitor the staff's phone calls to recruits during this time. The university self-imposed a two-year probation from July 1, 2005 to July 1, 2007; reduced scholarships from 13 to 11 for 2005-06 and 13 to 12 from 2006-07; reduced the number of phone calls coaches could make to recruits; limited off-campus recruiting from July 2005 through the 2006-07 academic year; cut paid visits down from 12 to nine for this past season; froze Sampson's salary increases and postseason bonuses for a two-year period.

According to NCAA rules, if penalties are imposed by the committee of infractions on a coach that are over and above what the institution already has self-imposed, then the new school (Indiana) would have to impose those penalties or else Sampson would have to appear before the committee and show cause why the school shouldn't be required to do so.

Oklahoma now must wait for the April hearing to see if any additional sanctions apply to the school.

Now what I would assume with that is that Indiana probably met with the NCAA to see if further penalties would be imposed. I'm sure they wouldn't want to hire somebody if they are going to have to incur penalities for it. So what that means is the penalities that we have already self-imposed are most-likely good enough. What do you guys think?

Well it makes perfect sense to me but we are talking about the NCAA.

JohnnyMack
3/29/2006, 10:01 AM
They could backload his salary. Couldn't they?

TopDawg
3/29/2006, 10:13 AM
[devils advocate]or, they just made sure the punishments wouldn't follow him [/devils advocate]

Like Corn Frog said, who knows what can happen with the NCAA, but that article did say:

"According to NCAA rules, if penalties are imposed by the committee of infractions on a coach that are over and above what the institution already has self-imposed, then the new school (Indiana) would have to impose those penalties or else Sampson would have to appear before the committee and show cause why the school shouldn't be required to do so."

This seems like a situation where the NCAA would view the coach as more responsible than the institution.

NormanPride
3/29/2006, 11:34 AM
I'm a pessimist when it comes to things like this, but I think we'll get screwed here. The NCAA will fawn over IU and Sampson, and leave all his crap on our doorstep proving once again that the NCAA is a sham.

scotplum
3/29/2006, 12:15 PM
Like Corn Frog said, who knows what can happen with the NCAA, but that article did say:

"According to NCAA rules, if penalties are imposed by the committee of infractions on a coach that are over and above what the institution already has self-imposed, then the new school (Indiana) would have to impose those penalties or else Sampson would have to appear before the committee and show cause why the school shouldn't be required to do so."

This seems like a situation where the NCAA would view the coach as more responsible than the institution.

I notice that doesn't say that the school previously coached would not have those penalties imposed as well. Sounds like both OU and Indiana could get additional penalties imposed.

TopDawg
3/29/2006, 12:33 PM
I notice that doesn't say that the school previously coached would not have those penalties imposed as well. Sounds like both OU and Indiana could get additional penalties imposed.

Yeah, but we're saying that it appears that Indiana would've have the opportunity to check on that before hiring Sampson, and that if more penalties were to come, they probably wouldn't've offered him.

But, again, we're talking about the NCAA here. Who knows what will happen. All I'm saying is that, on the surface, this looks like a good sign.

stoopified
3/29/2006, 03:35 PM
Yeah, but we're saying that it appears that Indiana would've have the opportunity to check on that before hiring Sampson, and that if more penalties were to come, they probably wouldn't've offered him.

But, again, we're talking about the NCAA here. Who knows what will happen. All I'm saying is that, on the surface, this looks like a good sign.
True dat but with the NCAA having a hard-on for OU.............

Dio
3/29/2006, 03:50 PM
I'm a pessimist when it comes to things like this, but I think we'll get screwed here. The NCAA will fawn over IU and Sampson, and leave all his crap on our doorstep proving once again that the NCAA is a sham.

Bingo. Sampson will walk, IU will walk, OU will get nailed.