PDA

View Full Version : Something to think about...

goingoneight
3/28/2006, 10:39 PM
I've been reading that OU wants to go back to a more pass-oriented offense. Halzle or Bomar, whoever may it be, as long as they get the ball there... I like hearing that.

AD is astonishing on the field, believe me, there are no doubts on this side about that... but imagine if the QB play fakes like in the Holiday Bowl... AD caught a few good ones. Kelly and Iglesias were brilliant as well. If OUr timing is correct, we can hit guys on the run like Jason White used to always do with Clayton and Bradley. The offense runs smoother and quicker this way, as the ball naturally flies better than it runs.

I don't think Chuck Long really schemed with AD and Bomar as well as he could have. If Chuckie ran it straight up the middle everytime in the Holiday Bowl, we would have been finished after the first UO touchdown.

Surely AD will get a chance to shove the ball in for a critical yard every now and then, all great teams need a power back. Don't think I'm trying to kick him out of the offensive ideas, I don't think we would be much of anything spectacular without him.

What I think is, the Holiday Bowl displayed my kind of OU offensive strategy. If we can speed that up a bit, I don't see any reason why we can't win out next year. Bomar is an EXCELLENT bootlegger and seems to avoid defenses pretty well when he is actually moving.

Add your ideas...

No shotgun handoffs to AD!!! VY-style won't work for this guy. Pitch it, toss it, pass it to him, or hand him the rock on the run. He does his best when given some jump start.

Cross-pattern passing game, you hit the guy on the run... and you fool defenses if you're good at it.

Option passes, Heupel was good at tossing a quick options to his recievers and backs when he was rolling outward from the pocket.

REVERSES!!! creative running owns!!!

TE passing game.

Paul Thompson = QB/WR. Rhett Bomar = Starting QB. PT + RB = laterals!!!

BOOMERBRADLEY
3/28/2006, 10:50 PM
No shotgun handoffs to AD!!! VY-style won't work for this guy. Pitch it, toss it, pass it to him, or hand him the rock on the run. He does his best when given some jump start.

My dad and I get so infuriated when that happens. I like the way you think

BASSooner
3/29/2006, 12:07 AM
I think the exact same way.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
3/29/2006, 12:41 AM
i'm missing something here. do you want the QB under center or in the shotgun?

King Crimson
3/29/2006, 01:07 AM
i heard we have a wishbone set with Savage at QB this year. that is gonna be awesome. he played qb in hs, ya know?

Egeo
3/29/2006, 02:21 AM
My dad and I get so infuriated when that happens. I like the way you think
technically you would think it would be bad - but did you see how much running room peterson had on some of those plays?

BOOMERBRADLEY
3/29/2006, 09:53 AM
I don't care, he's a downhill runner. He's not 5'6 180

soonerjoker
3/29/2006, 12:06 PM
i sure hope the OC reads this thread.
all his problems will be solved.

i bet sdsu loses all their games.

Jason White's Third Knee
3/29/2006, 12:29 PM
i sure hope the OC reads this thread.
all his problems will be solved.

i bet sdsu loses all their games.

Sadly, they MIGHT lose all of their games.

Zing
3/29/2006, 09:47 PM
i heard we have a wishbone set with Savage at QB this year. that is gonna be awesome. he played qb in hs, ya know?

*double take* whu-whu-whaaaaat?

OUGreg723
3/29/2006, 09:57 PM
I really am liking the way coach Wilson is talking in the interveiws. He doesnt sugar coat anything and he is a hard ***. This is what our offense needs. A toughness that we lacked last year. And some creativity. I really think our offense is going to be really good by mid season. Heck,I think our o-line is gonna be really good as well. Say what you want to me about the o-line, but I think its gonna happen.

BASSooner
3/29/2006, 11:42 PM
Hey hey I'm not disagreeing at all. We have some dedicated guys playin the OL. I bet they will be good:D

Jello Biafra
3/29/2006, 11:43 PM
like i posted in another thread, I think peterson is at his worst when he is 7 yards off the ball. it is almost a guarantee that he WILL get the ball. the defense knows it's coming and SOMETIMES they can't do anything about it but, the defense tends to stretch the play out and negate any advantage AD might have. he needs to be in the I, single back, or the wing. I don't give a rip but he can't pick his hole. he has to run right at the defense THEN make his first cut when he gets to the second level. in this day and age, you can't just run away from defenses. there is just far too much athletic ability. how do you beat the blitz? you throw the ball in the same direction the blitz is coming at you.

also, we definately need a full back game this year. defenses keying on peterson SHOULD open that game up somewhat for a good 4-6 yard gain. when they respect both the runningback and the fullback, they will be weak in the pass protection. just my opinion.

anyone happen to know where we placed the tight end pass? just curious.

BASSooner
3/30/2006, 12:02 AM
Don't worry we have fullbacks in case we need them, Zaslaw and Clapp. Not sure which one is going to start though...

Jello Biafra
3/30/2006, 12:15 AM
Don't worry we have fullbacks in case we need them, Zaslaw and Clapp. Not sure which one is going to start though...

i'd like to see zaslaw play at fullback but last i looked, they had him at runningback?

BASSooner
3/30/2006, 12:17 AM
oh i didn't know that:confused:

Jello Biafra
3/30/2006, 12:18 AM
nope back to fullback. anyway, we've had good fullbacks as far as i know. dennison and runnels would run the ball hard or die trying.

Egeo
3/30/2006, 02:32 AM
I don't care, he's a downhill runner. He's not 5'6 180
he busts plenty of stuff out wide - hes an amazing runner
wilson needs to do whatever gets the most yards - and that is probably going to be a combination of spread/power stuff

im pretty sure all of peterson's big runs in the holiday bowl were out of the shotgun set
whatever gets him to the second level is what needs to be done

CobraKai
3/30/2006, 12:06 PM
he busts plenty of stuff out wide - hes an amazing runner

I agree that he is a great runner, but perhaps someone can answer this:

Why doesn't he ever drop to the turf and sizzle like bacon when he scores? Is that too much to ask?

SoonerBBall
3/30/2006, 12:47 PM
I agree that he is a great runner, but perhaps someone can answer this:

Why doesn't he ever drop to the turf and sizzle like bacon when he scores? Is that too much to ask?

Oh yeah, that is going in my sig.

SoonerBBall
3/30/2006, 12:48 PM
Told ya.

CobraKai
3/30/2006, 01:17 PM
Oh yeah, that is going in my sig.

Glad you like. ;)

The Consumate Showman
3/30/2006, 01:20 PM
Well, they did hand AD the ball a few times from the shotgun set in the Holiday Bowl, and AD actually did O.K. with it. I do think that they will end up seeing that isn't going to work so much. What I would like to see is this:

Bomar back in the shotgun with AD and either AP or DeMarco on either side of him and send AD out for a screen or fly route and have an option to handoff or shovle pass to AP or DM....But first things first....Rhett's got to learn to read the defense out there when they line up and not constantly look back at KW for the answer...

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
3/30/2006, 01:30 PM
Well, they did hand AD the ball a few times from the shotgun set in the Holiday Bowl, and AD actually did O.K. with it. I do think that they will end up seeing that isn't going to work so much. What I would like to see is this:

Bomar back in the shotgun with AD and either AP or DeMarco on either side of him and send AD out for a screen or fly route and have an option to handoff or shovle pass to AP or DM....But first things first....Rhett's got to learn to read the defense out there when they line up and not constantly look back at KW for the answer...

if by okay, you mean he went sandlot and reversed his field, then sure...

boomersooner28
3/30/2006, 01:49 PM
I loved the Holiday Bowl Offensive gameplan....even though we didn't score a lot of points we seemed to move the ball pretty well. I love seeing AD run out of the I-formation, but yes we need to play-action out of that formation more to freeze the safeties. If they cheat up, we burn em deep, if they don't cheat up, they get to meet Mr. Peterson with a full head of steam...good luck!.