PDA

View Full Version : So what are the expectations on the next coach's shoulders?

ouflak
3/28/2006, 08:00 PM
Definitely whoever comes in has got to do better than Kelvin. So let's just lay out a brief guidline of what kind of success that would entail:

1. Atleast 21 wins per season.
2. 4 conference tourney titles over the next ten years.
3. Two regular season conference titles, prefferably one unshared.
4. No junior college recruits (I've noticed a strange backlash here even though we went to the final four with some good juco kids).
5. 80% player retention.
6. No first round losses ever. All tourney appearances only end at the 2nd round in the rare upset. Otherwise, Sweet Sixteen or better.
7. No more than one loss a year to any team we are 'supposed' to beat.
8. Atleast %50 graduation rates using the NCAA's screwed up formula.
9. Every 3 years, one player goes on to play in NBA.
10. We've got to get a national title in the next ten years.

I don't think this is insanely too much more than what Kelvin Sampson has done at you. Basically I just padded the last ten years a bit and threw in a national title. If coach Sampson had just had a bit more success (via luck, better coaching, player performance (no key injuries), all of the above and maybe some other things), I think he probably would have accomplished this list.

So are these expectation realistic for the next coach at OU? In fact are they realistic for any school? I think these are realistic expections for some choice basketball schools, maybe even below the bar expection-wise for some 'elite' schools.... Not sure about OU though....

Do you guys think we should up the bar for the next coach? I'm not happy about the changes now. But hell I'd love to win a nantional title!

What should we consider realistic expections for the next coach?

OUstud
3/28/2006, 08:10 PM
Let's not struggle with crappy Big XII North teams.

Harry Beanbag
3/28/2006, 08:12 PM
11. A coherent offensive gameplan.
12. No recruiting violations and/or anything else that may result in probation.
13. No denim shirts.

Add these three and it sounds good to me. :rolleyes:

oumartin
3/28/2006, 08:18 PM
sweet 16 every year..
at least one NC in the next 8 years.

OUstud
3/28/2006, 08:37 PM
Improve LNC's atmosphere. Pearl did it himself at Tennessee by having the chairs taken from the student section and moving them closer to the court.

Blue
3/28/2006, 08:50 PM
How about some exciting players and not falling asleep during the game.