PDA

View Full Version : Why all the angst?

GottaHavePride
3/28/2006, 06:45 PM
OK, I'm not getting what the big argument is. we didn't run Kelvin off. Indiana hired him away. Any basketball coach that would turn down Indiana to stay at OU is either a born and bred Sooner or a moron. Kelvin is neither of those.

Was I a bit frustrated with the team's performance the last few years? Yes. Am I sorry to see Kelvin go? Yes, a bit. Do I think most of our basketball fans are suckwads for not showing up to games? Definitely. But I think Joe C. (despite what I might think of his gameday-atmosphere management skills, or lack thereof) CAN make good hiring decisions. We'll be ok.

Now, if someone could tell Joe C. about this regional tv blackout idea I've had regarding the men's basketball games...

IronSooner
3/28/2006, 07:02 PM
It's hard for me to say IU is a completely better job, but the atmosphere and fan support should be much better. Basektball's a big deal in the Midwest. It'll be challenging with the resurgence of Ohio St.

I can't say I really have a problem with him leaving. KS prevents a glass ceiling I think. We could have more ability and upside, but would never actually win an NC. We will consistently be good, but rarely great. Sometimes it takes a gamble to get from the former to the latter. Here's hoping we make the jump.

sooneron
3/28/2006, 07:20 PM
Actually, it is HIGHLY rumored that the AD suggested to Kelvin to entertain offers from other schools.

kaje
3/28/2006, 07:37 PM
either a born and bred Sooner or a moron.

Aren't those one and the same? :confused:

oumartin
3/28/2006, 07:38 PM
I second Rons comment..

David Earl
3/28/2006, 09:50 PM
Aren't those one and the same?

So long troll.

sanantoniosooner
3/28/2006, 09:53 PM
Actually I complained to the mods and Kelvin got banned.

Sooner_Bob
3/28/2006, 09:54 PM
Coaches come and go. I think KS did some good while at OU, but felt it was time to move on. OU isn't a bad place for a basketball coach to work I'm sure we'll get a quality coach.

sanantoniosooner
3/28/2006, 09:55 PM
Can Franchione coach basketball?

OKC-SLC
3/28/2006, 09:59 PM
Can Franchione coach basketball?
well, he can't coach football.

that's a start.

King Crimson
3/28/2006, 10:08 PM
i just hope we don't stuck with the NCAA punishment for HIS sins. it's beyond absurd that probations and whatnot don't follow the coach but always the institution gets the rake.

CtheB
3/28/2006, 10:28 PM
i just hope we don't stuck with the NCAA punishment for HIS sins. it's beyond absurd that probations and whatnot don't follow the coach but always the institution gets the rake.

Punishment will follow the coach.

jk the sooner fan
3/28/2006, 10:48 PM
do we really as fans think we have the ability to "run off" a coach with the tenure like Sampson?

kind of silly to think so if you ask me

now the AD is another matter.....

sanantoniosooner
3/28/2006, 10:50 PM
I'm telling you........a couple of PEEMs and Norm canned Kelvin.

OUbones
3/28/2006, 10:50 PM
Punishment will follow the coach.

I hope so, they know the rules! If he didn't break them it sucks, but if he did I will not buy the "I didn't know" excuse.

Crimsontothecore
3/29/2006, 01:09 AM
Aren't those one and the same? :confused:
Must be strange for you to see a coach leave for another job. The only time a coach leaves your school is when they have to attend the Betty Ford clinic.:eddie:

SoonerBBall
3/29/2006, 01:36 AM
It's hard for me to say IU is a completely better job, but the atmosphere and fan support should be much better. Basektball's a big deal in the Midwest. It'll be challenging with the resurgence of Ohio St.

I can't say I really have a problem with him leaving. KS prevents a glass ceiling I think. We could have more ability and upside, but would never actually win an NC. We will consistently be good, but rarely great. Sometimes it takes a gamble to get from the former to the latter. Here's hoping we make the jump.

I still disagree that he'd never win a NC, but I don't see why everyone is in such a tizzy. He left for a job that is a step up from OU (in the pure philosophical basketball sense). I would have done the same if I was a coach looking for the best gig I could get. It happens all the time. We'll survive.

Did the fans force him out? Hell no. Did the administration? I haven't seen a single person give or post anything that could anywhere near conclusively say that (no martin and ron, your word is not gospel). Was it about time for him to go? It seems that way, but why is that such a big deal? I do think that a lot of football fans that follow basketball are going to be shocked that he isn't as easily replaced as they suspected, though.

bigdsooner
3/29/2006, 01:55 AM
OK, I'm not getting what the big argument is. we didn't run Kelvin off. Indiana hired him away. Any basketball coach that would turn down Indiana to stay at OU is either a born and bred Sooner or a moron. Kelvin is neither of those.

Was I a bit frustrated with the team's performance the last few years? Yes. Am I sorry to see Kelvin go? Yes, a bit. Do I think most of our basketball fans are suckwads for not showing up to games? Definitely. But I think Joe C. (despite what I might think of his gameday-atmosphere management skills, or lack thereof) CAN make good hiring decisions. We'll be ok.

Now, if someone could tell Joe C. about this regional tv blackout idea I've had regarding the men's basketball games...

thats what everyone needs to understand. kelvin was ready to leave or he wouldnt have left.
good luck to him in indiana, i wish him all the best. but i think castiglione will find the best person out there for OU.

AZfanIII
3/29/2006, 09:13 AM
If we could get a coach that was equivalent to our womens basketball coach OU would have no problem with selling out games. But if you get someone like sampson nobody wants to see his teams underperform game after game after game. He's ruined many a career. Good riddance. He can go chest bump IU players as they leave the court now.

RacerX
3/29/2006, 09:28 AM
I hope the new guy has an easy name.

OUmillenium
3/29/2006, 09:44 AM

Calvin is not that hard of a name...

oumartin
3/29/2006, 09:45 AM
whats so hard about Calvin Simpson?

sanantoniosooner
3/29/2006, 09:57 AM
I hope our rivals can readily identify his ethnicity.

RacerX
3/29/2006, 10:03 AM
I hope our rivals can readily identify his ethnicity.

Just 5 minutes ago I wondered if the majority of the Indiana fan base thinks he's african-american.

sanantoniosooner
3/29/2006, 10:06 AM
When he does an authentic 3 minute choke dance from the tribe of denim, they'll catch on.

Harry Beanbag
3/29/2006, 10:07 AM
Just 5 minutes ago I wondered if the majority of the Indiana fan base thinks he's african-american.

I did for the first half of his time in Norman. :O

Rock Hard Corn Frog
3/29/2006, 10:14 AM
If we could get a coach that was equivalent to our womens basketball coach OU would have no problem with selling out games. But if you get someone like sampson nobody wants to see his teams underperform game after game after game. He's ruined many a career. Good riddance. He can go chest bump IU players as they leave the court now.

It's great what the women have done and Coale is hugely successful but the tickets to women's games are pretty much given away. There is a disconnect between the tickets sold to the OU men's games and the actual attendence. Hopefully that improves with the new coach but I'm about 10X more concerned with W & L.

Partial Qualifier
3/29/2006, 10:17 AM

Good points. There are always certain types of people who instinctively blame other people and finger-point when things don't go their way, for whatever reason. The fact is, Oklahoma did as much for Kelvin as he did for OU and yes, he'd be a moron if he didn't jump at the chance for a top-5 job in Indiana.

WHich brings up another point - why would a upper-echelon program like Indiana hire a guy who's current program has the "lack of institutional control" label?

oumartin
3/29/2006, 10:18 AM
remember kelvin was like their 8th choice.

Partial Qualifier
3/29/2006, 10:37 AM
Well I have no doubt that Kelvin will make sure that kind of thing doesn't happen again. He's a "good guy". It puzzles me that Indiana didn't try to hire away an equally-or-more successful coach who doesn't have a cloud following him there. Donovan comes to mind . . .dunno

NormanPride
3/29/2006, 11:26 AM
Well I have no doubt that Kelvin will make sure that kind of thing doesn't happen again. He's a "good guy". It puzzles me that Indiana didn't try to hire away an equally-or-more successful coach who doesn't have a cloud following him there. Donovan comes to mind . . .dunno

Because Indiana is like Nebraska in football. Sure, they were great once, but now they stink, and their fans want everything without the growing pains. No coach wants into that, unless they're in a bad situation already.

Hmmm....

Crimson Kid
3/29/2006, 02:37 PM
Because Indiana is like Nebraska in football. Sure, they were great once, but now they stink, and their fans want everything without the growing pains. No coach wants into that, unless they're in a bad situation already.

Hmmm....

Yeah sounds like ou fans.

Luthor
3/29/2006, 03:04 PM
One thing is for certain. No BB coach likes his program playing 2nd fiddle to any other program at his school. BB will always play at best 2nd fiddle at OU and that axiom is chissled in stone. The same thing applies at Texas, NU, tOSU, Miami, USC, etc, etc. Kelvin Sampson is a class guy and runs a high quality program. Indiana is Mecca for any BB coach no matter how poorly the program has done over the past 6 or 8 years. Those farmers up there could give a rat's a$$ about anything other than BB. Fine, whatever. I wish Kelvin the best of luck. He probably deserves it.