PDA

View Full Version : I hope that all of you Sampson bashers are happy...

the_ouskull
3/28/2006, 02:49 PM
...because you are likely a catalyst for us losing one of the best coaches in the country.

So, I'd like to hear from the Sampson bashers a question that I asked a while back... Who do YOU recommend we replace an gold-medal winning, Final Four coach with?

Who is out there, available, interested, and better? Answer quickly... it'll be a short list.

Thanks again...

the_ouskull

Octavian
3/28/2006, 02:52 PM
http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65505

KABOOKIE
3/28/2006, 02:56 PM
Honestly I think you'll be surprised who is out there, who is better, and who can recruit talent to OU without cheating.

usmc-sooner
I'm not a KS basher but his leaving had nothing to do with that. Get a clue he created a mess with the NCAA violations and he had a big time basketball school offer him a job. That's why he left.

Rhino
...because you are likely a catalyst for us losing one of the best coaches in the country. What. Ever.

If Sampson is Mike Davising out on us because the fans didn't like him, then we didn't want him to stay anyway.

I think it had more to do with OU freezing his bonuses than you realize.

C&CDean
3/28/2006, 02:57 PM
Honestly I think you'll be surprised who is out there, who is better, and who can recruit talent to OU without cheating.

Yeah, there's tons of clean talent out there looking for work. :rolleyes:

william_brasky
3/28/2006, 03:01 PM
...because you are likely a catalyst for us losing one of the best coaches in the country.

if that be the case, then KS is not going to last long up at IU. the fanbase there will chew him up and spit him out alot quicker than our fanbase. that's guaranteed.

TopDaugIn2000
3/28/2006, 03:01 PM
maybe Joe C should just shut the program down. there's probably NO ONE out there willing to take the job than can do all that :kelvin: did. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

C&CDean
3/28/2006, 03:03 PM
maybe Joe C should just shut the program down. there's probably NO ONE out there willing to take the job than can do all that :kelvin: did. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

You know, this is quite possibly the smartest thing you've ever typed on this board. Seriously.

oumartin
3/28/2006, 03:07 PM
you're welcome! :D

boomersooner28
3/28/2006, 03:08 PM
"Happy" may not be the word, but I am not disappointed. I think KS is a helluva ball coach, I just think the time is right for a change, both for the OU Men's Basketball program and for KS. Different is good.

CtheB
3/28/2006, 03:10 PM

So, I'd like to hear from the Sampson bashers a question that I asked a while back... Who do YOU recommend we replace an gold-medal winning, Final Four coach with?

Who is out there, available, interested, and better? Answer quickly... it'll be a short list.

Thanks again...

the_ouskull

I suppose you guys would want proof if I told you that I answered this question "Kelvin Sampson" in 1994.

Get my point?

KABOOKIE
3/28/2006, 03:33 PM
Yeah, there's tons of clean talent out there looking for work. :rolleyes:

And OU will get them. Quit yer ninnyin' :rolleyes:

Blue
3/28/2006, 03:41 PM
Me too. Not happy, but not dissapointed.

We needed a change, wake-up call, a jolt. Whatever you want to call it.

It seemed like the players hated the program under KS. They played with no emotion the last few years.

Skysooner
3/28/2006, 03:41 PM
KS might be one of the best coaches out there, but there comes a time in every job where you put it on autopilot and go through the motions. You may still do well, but you are really going through the motions. The only way to keep it fresh is to change up what you are doing.

We may or may not find as good of a coach out of the box as KS, but we have excellent facilities and a good basketball budget. Someone else is going to come in here with more energy for "this" job and may win right away. I don't expect the same KS standards, but let's be honest. KS didn't have a superlative coaching year. Good but not great.

Newbomb Turk
3/28/2006, 03:46 PM
Although I've pretty much supported Kelvin, oumartin asked me a while back if I wanted Kelvin to be here if Kelvin didn't want to be here. My answer was "no".

I hope we get someone as good or better than Kelvin, but if he wanted to go, I wish him happiness and success in Bloomington.

oumartin
3/28/2006, 03:49 PM
Turk is a very good poster.. I for one don't always use the best words. Kelvin did great with the lesser talented kids and got them to play hard and tough basketball. I think he is one heck of a defensive coach. I just want a guy that can bring in and keep better talent and play a more up tempo offense. I don't want a guy that doesn't wanna be here for sure. Good luck to him and hopefully it works out for the best for both programs.. Newbomb brings me back to sanity.

william_brasky
3/28/2006, 03:52 PM
Newbomb brings me back to sanity.

you're sane? :kelvin:

Newbomb Turk
3/28/2006, 04:20 PM
doesn't say much for me. ;)

RacerX
3/28/2006, 04:28 PM
Yep, the Internet done run Kelvin off.

Sincerely,

John Rohde

SoonerShark
3/28/2006, 04:55 PM
We need to have Dick Vitale on our search committee to help us stay on his best football/basketball coach tandem list.

the_ouskull
3/28/2006, 05:06 PM
Heh. Nice one, Shark.

the_ouskull

oumartin
3/28/2006, 05:48 PM
Just so you know.. there was truth to him putting his name out there for the ASU job...

william_brasky
3/28/2006, 05:51 PM
Just so you know.. there was truth to him putting his name out there for the ASU job...

you are deepthroat

Newbomb Turk
3/28/2006, 05:52 PM

don't know what your source is, but it's certainly more believable now.

oumartin
3/28/2006, 05:53 PM
what did you think about my source at 8am this morning? go back and see what thread i started 4 hours prior to anything breaking

here. i'll post it for you

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65485

7:57am

Newbomb Turk
3/28/2006, 05:57 PM
what did you think about my source at 8am this morning? go back and see what thread i started 4 hours prior to anything breaking

I didn't read the board then. I'll go check...be right back.

C&CDean
3/28/2006, 05:58 PM
Don't listen to martin. His "source" is Nick.

william_brasky
3/28/2006, 06:00 PM
Don't listen to martin. His "source" is Nick.

Hey Dean, as Adminstrator can you change Nick's username to NickLeppard or something else instead of Zeppelin. It ruins Zeppelin for me a little bit.

josh09
3/28/2006, 06:02 PM
WTF!

i just got home and saw this news. wow. sianara then kelvin.

Newbomb Turk
3/28/2006, 06:02 PM
martin - you were all over it - I'll give you credit for that.
Still don't know what your source is for the ASU talk.
Not doggin you about it either.

josh09
3/28/2006, 06:04 PM
w/e, maybe Bob can coach the basketball team. He certainly did well at the beginning of his time here.

oh ya, and he still is doing well.

MiccoMacey
3/28/2006, 06:09 PM
Don't listen to martin. He is Nick.

Fixed.

Newbomb Turk
3/28/2006, 06:17 PM
Don't know why anybody is ripping martin.

He's been here all year, every game. Just cause he thinks it's time for Kelvin go move on, doesn't make him a bad poster.

MiccoMacey
3/28/2006, 06:18 PM
Not rippin' him.

Just funnin' with him.

Newbomb Turk
3/28/2006, 06:23 PM
Not rippin' him.

Just funnin' with him.

Well then by all means, please continue on. :D

IronSooner
3/28/2006, 06:23 PM
Still, callin' the guy Nick is pretty serious. ;)

Newbomb Turk
3/28/2006, 06:24 PM
Still, callin' the guy Nick is pretty serious. ;)

No doubt - it's one thing to give a guy a bunch of crap, but to call him Nick - that's bad!

oumartin
3/28/2006, 06:29 PM
Nick and I have alot in commone really, I mean we have both been banned.

MiccoMacey
3/28/2006, 06:34 PM
I took a cheap shot for a cheap laugh.

Mea culpa, mea culpa. :D

MiccoMacey
3/28/2006, 06:35 PM
Also, how come no one here is worried about Nick's feelings on this subject?

Maybe HE would be offended more. :D

AZfanIII
3/28/2006, 06:41 PM
I'm a basher and if you think that guy is one of the best coaches in the country perhaps you should remove your head from your *** more often. Good riddance, he'll have 3 years at Indiana tops. That's if he can keep from breaking the rules in his efforts in trying to get someone to play ball for him. Don't let the door hit you in the *** there Kelvin.

Stoop Dawg
3/28/2006, 07:28 PM
I'm a basher and if you think that guy is one of the best coaches in the country perhaps you should remove your head from your *** more often. Good riddance, he'll have 3 years at Indiana tops. That's if he can keep from breaking the rules in his efforts in trying to get someone to play ball for him. Don't let the door hit you in the *** there Kelvin.

You don't have a clue.

Sampson is one of six coaches with 20 or more wins each of the past nine seasons. The others are Arizona's Lute Olson (15), Kentucky's Tubby Smith (13), Duke's Mike Krzyzewski (10), Syracuse's Jim Boeheim (9) and Connecticut's Jim Calhoun (9).

soonermark
3/28/2006, 07:41 PM
You don't have a clue.

I hope you're not trying to compare KS to these coaches.

National Championships
Olsen=1
Calhoun=2
Coach K=3
Tubby=1
Boeheim=1
Sampson=0

Stoop Dawg
3/28/2006, 07:46 PM

Pretty good company, huh?

oumartin
3/28/2006, 07:48 PM
yeah, good company. cept Calvin couldn't beat the guy Indiana just ran off.

soonermark
3/28/2006, 07:49 PM
Pretty good company, huh?

Well yeah, except for the fact that Kelvin doesn't belong.

Harry Beanbag
3/28/2006, 08:15 PM
I think it's rather humorous that the sunshine pumpers and kelvin bashers are about to swap positions in their view of the program. :)

walkoffsooner
3/28/2006, 08:31 PM
Believe me no matter what we were saying on internet about KS Indiana comes knockin KS is leaving.They have history we don't.Player's want to play basketball at Indiana not Oklahoma.Kind of like football only reverse the states.

The Consumate Showman
3/28/2006, 08:37 PM
I'm :) .....it's time for a change.......for a different look.....maybe with a new -look team, we can be more effective in Big XII and non-conference play....

KABOOKIE
3/28/2006, 09:40 PM
Believe me no matter what we were saying on internet about KS Indiana comes knockin KS is leaving.They have history we don't.Player's want to play basketball at Indiana not Oklahoma.Kind of like football only reverse the states.

Players didn't want to play at Oklahoma BECAUSE of Kelvin. :mad:

walkoffsooner
3/28/2006, 11:30 PM
Well Kelvin is gone. I guess the Indiana players will come here since we have no chance of kelvin ever coming back. We should load up on recruiting and be in final four every year it's not a negitive post just the truth from watching OU basketball for 45 years.We are not a basketball school.Every once in a while we will get some homegrown talent Mookie,Stacie,Tisdale that will hang around and have good team.

RacerX
3/28/2006, 11:33 PM
Mookie is from Garland, Texas.

Octavian
3/28/2006, 11:43 PM
I think it's rather humorous that the sunshine pumpers and kelvin bashers are about to swap positions in their view of the program. :)

Up will become down....down will become up!

Jay will become night...night will become Jay!

I keed. ;)

Skysooner
3/28/2006, 11:47 PM
I was interested to see the OU campus interviews on NBC. The vast majority were glad he was gone.

usmc-sooner
3/28/2006, 11:51 PM
I will miss Kellen though, I thought we won the NC at every timeout. That guy had flair and more than 15 pieces

walkoffsooner
3/28/2006, 11:57 PM
Mookie has the Lawton family connection is why he came to OU.

usmc-sooner
3/29/2006, 12:18 AM
Mookie has the Lawton family connection is why he came to OU.

he should have went to Cameron, it's closer

Crimsontothecore
3/29/2006, 01:03 AM

Thanks again...

the_ouskull
You're a moron if you think Sampson's leaving had ANYTHING to do with the fan's displeasure. Sampson was hired when the football program was hitting the skids. During the Schnelly and Blake years, OU basketball was all we had to hang our hats on. Making the NCAA tournament was great because we sure as hell weren't going to bowl games. Sampson enjoyed a lofty pearch during those years and he openly interviewed for other jobs at the end of every season. We all sat around nervously waiting to see if he would bless us with his presence for one more year. Funny how that sh** stopped once Stoop's brought the football program back and Sampson wasn't the only game on campus. So ENOUGH of painting a picture of Sampson being "loyal" to the school.
Even the criticism he endured this year was of his own doing. It was HE who said this team was going to be great. it was HE who violated NCAA rules. I'm sick and tired of people acting as though he hung his poor little head and left unwillingly. PLEASE!
I'm sure we can manage to find a coach who can sustain 6-8 minute scoring droughts the way kelvin did.

Crimsontothecore
3/29/2006, 01:18 AM

National Championships
Olsen=1
Calhoun=2
Coach K=3
Tubby=1
Boeheim=1
Sampson=0
Another fact is that if you go anywhere in the nation and ask ANY college basketball fan to name the 6 best coaches in the game, I promise you Sampson would not be mentioned in the same breath as those others.

Gandalf_The_Grey
3/29/2006, 02:08 AM
Another fun thing is to look at the success of the football programs of the people he is tied with
Arizona - Decent Middle of the Road Prestige
UCONN - give me a ****ing break
Duke - Give me a ****ing break
Kentucky - Give me a ****ing break
Syracuse - Lower Middle of the Road

Also look at how long these programs have been good, I would say they have ALOT more reasons to be winning 20 games than say Sampson. Did Boeheim and Roy Williams just miraculously become great coaches in the last 3 years?

GDC
3/29/2006, 08:44 AM
Indiana AD may have done OU a huge favor
By DAVE SITTLER World Sports Writer
3/29/2006

Rick Greenspan apparently knows something the rest of us don't. Either that or he's the best salesman to come down the athletic director's pike in many a moon.

Greenspan is Indiana's AD. He's the man who is convinced Kelvin Sampson is the best-qualified person to coach the Hoosiers basketball team.

And you thought George Mason making it to the Final Four was the most shocking March Madness story? At least locally, the 11th-seeded Patriots' success was trumped Tuesday by news that Greenspan enticed Sampson to leave Oklahoma after 12 seasons to replace Mike Davis at Indiana.

Speaking of the news, has Greenspan been keeping up with it lately? Doesn't he know Sampson's OU program is under investigation by the NCAA for improper phone calls to recruits?

I'm assuming Greenspan is aware that Sampson and some of his former staff members made 550 impermissible calls to high school juniors and seniors. That's a big no-no. Big enough that Sampson, OU president David Boren and Sooner athletic director Joe Castiglione have been ordered to report next month to Park City, Utah, to appear before the NCAA's infractions committee.

Yet Greenspan still sold Sampson's hiring to the president of Indiana and the school's board of regents? He

obviously did, because OU players and other sources confirmed that Sampson informed his team that he's bolting for the Hoosier state.

Normally, Sampson-to-Indiana would make perfect sense. Sampson did a lot of good during his tenure at OU. The pinnacle was taking the Sooners to the 2002 Final Four, where, ironically, they lost to Indiana and Davis in the semifinals in Atlanta.

But Tuesday's development borders on the incredible. When was the last time a coach landed a plum job in his profession while he's under NCAA investigation?

Larry Brown almost left for UCLA a few days after he coached Kansas to the 1988 national title. Brown changed his mind and went to the NBA, but UCLA didn't know KU would eventually be placed on probation for violations committed on Brown's watch.

Indiana knows OU is going on probation. OU officials acknowledged as much when they self-imposed penalties on Sampson and his program in hopes of softening the blow from the NCAA.

So the circumstances surrounding Sampson make the timing of this coaching move rare. But there is no doubt Greenspan didn't have to do much of a sales job on Sampson to convince him to leave OU.

Indiana is everything Sampson has lusted for in a job from almost the first day he arrived at OU from Washington State. Basketball is the marquee sport at IU, so Sampson will no longer have to live in the long shadow cast by OU's tradition-rich football program.

Sampson often showed interest in other jobs because he felt unappreciated at OU and was frustrated with a blase fan base.

The school sold season tickets, but scores of apathetic supporters seldom showed up at Lloyd Noble Center.

The rise of the OU women's team to national prominence this season and the arrival of an NBA franchise in Oklahoma City last fall made it all the more difficult for the Sooner men's team to fill the seats for home games.

Sampson won't have that problem at IU, where men's basketball is king.

How intense is the interest in the Hoosiers? Well, shortly after the Sampson story broke Tuesday, an outdoor advertising firm in Bloomington, Ind., contacted the Tulsa World for a photo of Sampson. The company plans to use it on a huge billboard to welcome IU's new coach.

Privately, Sampson is also undoubtedly delighted that he now has Bob Knight's old job. The Knight-Sampson relationship became contentious shortly after Knight became part of the Big 12 Conference when Texas Tech hired him.

Sampson's success at OU leaves little doubt that he's qualified to handle his new job on the court. But how will he deal with off-the-court pressure?

Sampson often found it difficult this season to accept the media criticism he received for the NCAA investigation.

So while he didn't like the heat at OU, it's nothing like the blast furnace he's about to enter at IU.

The Hoosiers' fan base has been bitterly split since Knight was forced to resign.

That division is eventually what forced Davis to resign last month.

And it's bound to become even more splintered by those supporters who are upset Greenspan didn't hire Iowa coach Steve Alford, the former Indiana All-American under Knight who is the state's favorite basketball son.

At first blush, it appears Sampson has put OU in a difficult situation.

In addition to leaving behind the investigation, his departure might cost the Sooners some of the excellent prospects Sampson signed last fall.

But while OU officials will never admit it publicly, they can't be all that upset that Sampson's gone.

He had worn out his welcome in many circles, either because of his methodical style of offense or losing several of his high-profile players who transferred to other schools for various reasons.

But it was the NCAA investigation that finally drove a wedge between Sampson and some of his loyal supporters. OU athletic director Joe Castiglione made no secret that he's embarrassed by the NCAA's investigation and frustrated by the amount of time and work he's put into preparing for the school's defense of Sampson's violations.

So in the long run, Greenspan may have unwittingly done OU a huge favor..

oumartin
3/29/2006, 08:57 AM
good article.. thanks.

AZfanIII
3/29/2006, 09:06 AM
You don't have a clue.

I'm pretty sure if you think he is in the same league as those other coaches your head is farther up your own *** than ouskulls. Sampson is a dip**** plain and simple. If it wasn't for Hollis Price his stupid *** would already be coaching High School. He won't last at Indiana.

the_ouskull
3/29/2006, 09:56 AM
I've been told no less than three times in this thread that I'm an idiot, an *sshole, or a dipsh*t of some sort, yet, at the same time, as I completely expected, none of the name-callers even so much as tried to name a suitable replacement for Kelvin, and the thread is on page 4 now. The worst one of the crew is AZfanIII who is continually talking about how Kelvin is a glorified HS coach, yet his 3rd-grade *ss can't read simple instructions.

You can dislike Kelvin all you want, but the question, sh*t-for-brains, was who would you replace him with? Who is going to take this job, thanks to "people" like you? I mean, I know I would, what with the positivity I'm seeing from the fan base... :rolleyes:

So, since you're not answering the question, you MUST be a part of the problem. Doesn't shock me too awfully much, I have to admit. People like you never DO have any answers... you just like to bitch, and bitch, and bitch.

Well, know this, Mensa: I just used "bitch" as a verb, but you're living it as an adjective.

the_ouskull

Harry Beanbag
3/29/2006, 10:04 AM
I've been told no less than three times in this thread that I'm an idiot, an *sshole, or a dipsh*t of some sort, yet, at the same time, as I completely expected, none of the name-callers even so much as tried to name a suitable replacement for Kelvin, and the thread is on page 4 now. The worst one of the crew is AZfanIII who is continually talking about how Kelvin is a glorified HS coach, yet his 3rd-grade *ss can't read simple instructions.

You can dislike Kelvin all you want, but the question, sh*t-for-brains, was who would you replace him with? Who is going to take this job, thanks to "people" like you? I mean, I know I would, what with the positivity I'm seeing from the fan base... :rolleyes:

So, since you're not answering the question, you MUST be a part of the problem. Doesn't shock me too awfully much, I have to admit. People like you never DO have any answers... you just like to bitch, and bitch, and bitch.

Well, know this, Mensa: I just used "bitch" as a verb, but you're living it as an adjective.

the_ouskull

Well, there are names of replacements flying all over this board, just not in this thread. Of course the way this thread started wasn't really all that conducive to any productive conversation, which I'm sure wasn't really your intention anyway.

As far as if the replacement will be "suitable" or as successful as Sampson, how can anybody predict that?

FaninAma
3/29/2006, 10:12 AM
I am very ambivalent about Kelvin Sampson. I could of lived with him staying but I'm certainly not torn up he's leaving.

I did buy his book.

william_brasky
3/29/2006, 10:12 AM

the_ouskull

you need to go get laid or something :texan:

FaninAma
3/29/2006, 10:15 AM
you need to go get laid or something :texan:

Don't we all!!

Listen guys and gals, how many D-1 coaches have stayed at one place as long as Kelvin stayed at OU? Not very many. I think OU and Kelvin mutually agreed it was time to move on. There shouldn't be any hard feelings on either side or among the fans.

Just take a philosophical approach and you'll be a lot happier.....like me!:cool:

oumartin
3/29/2006, 10:16 AM
wheres the update from the SoonerSpectator magazine.?

william_brasky
3/29/2006, 10:18 AM
wheres the update from the SoonerSpectator magazine.?

now don't go pickin' on Upskirt martin, no matter how bad the officiating may be. :eek:

bad martin! bad!

sanantoniosooner
3/29/2006, 10:18 AM
So......is Upchurch going with Kelvin to Indy?

GDC
3/29/2006, 10:19 AM
So......is Upchurch going with Kelvin to Indy?

ouch

william_brasky
3/29/2006, 10:20 AM
oh jeez, this thread has taken a nice turn.

oumartin
3/29/2006, 10:22 AM
I like the turn.

Crimsontothecore
3/29/2006, 10:50 AM

the_ouskull
Your first problem is that you actually think Kelvin was forced out by disgruntled fans.
Your second problem is that you see Sampson as being irreplaceable.
He left because he was ready to leave. Don't forget he used to interview for other jobs every year, and that was when everybody was happy with him. Why don't you let go of your "way to go, you ran him off" attitude.
To answer your question: I don't know who will replace him..but that's why i'm not the AD at OU. I do know this; We have one hell of an AD (probably the nations best) and the guy hasn't made a bad hire yet. I have full confidence in Joe C. to hire a coach who is more than capable and a perfect fit.
Maybe you should register over on the Hoosier boards and ask them if they will be happy to just make the tournament every year and nothing more. If Kelvin thought OU fans were hard to please, wait till his Indiana teams start losing to lower seeds in the tournament. He may wish he had stayed at a football school.

TJKDone
3/29/2006, 11:12 AM
To me Sampson had peaked and was in decline at OU. He was/is a great coach at a great program, but the opportunity to coach IU in basketball is a rare one. Their opening kinda reminds me of one in college football that Barry Switzer called the best in the country:D

Hook'em

FaninAma
3/29/2006, 11:31 AM
To me Sampson had peaked and was in decline at OU. He was/is a great coach at a great program, but the opportunity to coach IU in basketball is a rare one. Their opening kinda reminds me of one in college football that Barry Switzer called the best in the country:D

Hook'em

Barry Switzer is a publicity whore although he's right....you have to be one sorry assed coach to not win the Big 12 at least every other year if you are at Texas.

stoopified
3/29/2006, 11:37 AM
Yeah but the key part skull is driving at is those who are WILLING to take the OU job.That narrows the choices a lot.

RacerX
3/29/2006, 12:15 PM
you have to be sorry assed if you are at Texas.
:texan:

MI Sooner
3/29/2006, 12:40 PM
OUskull,

I think you mean that he's living b*tch as a noun, not an adjective. As in, he is a b*tch. If you really meant adjective, you'd be saying he's a b*tch person, or he is b*tchy, or something. I think you meant to say, he is a b*itch. As you have apparently forgotten, a noun is a person, place, or thing. An adjective modifies a noun. Nice attempt at a clever put-down, though.

Also, I'll readily admit that I can't name someone better than Sampson who will take the job, but I won't be suprised if Joe Castiglione can. Maybe the next coach will be as successful as Tom Izzo, or maybe he'll be as successful as Tom Amaker, time will tell. Every great coach was once unknown. If Michigan State can hire and keep a great coach, why can't we? They weren't a "basketball school."

Stoop Dawg
3/29/2006, 12:56 PM
Another fact is that if you go anywhere in the nation and ask ANY college basketball fan to name the 6 best coaches in the game, I promise you Sampson would not be mentioned in the same breath as those others.

Which won't change the fact that he's one of only six coaches in the entire country to win at least 20 games in each of the last 9 years.

It's all about W's. I'm not surprised that some of you don't get that.

Stoop Dawg
3/29/2006, 01:01 PM
I'm pretty sure if you think he is in the same league as those other coaches your head is farther up your own *** than ouskulls. Sampson is a dip**** plain and simple. If it wasn't for Hollis Price his stupid *** would already be coaching High School. He won't last at Indiana.

I'm pretty sure that your reading comprehension skills are not up to par for this board, so I'll type this slower.

Kelvin is one of only six coaches in the entire country to win at least 20 games in each of the last 9 years.

Hollis Price wasn't at OU for 9 years.

Kelvin took a step UP by moving to Indiana, not down.

All indications point to Kelvin being a good coach you being the dip****. Sorry.

Crimsontothecore
3/29/2006, 01:27 PM
Which won't change the fact that he's one of only six coaches in the entire country to win at least 20 games in each of the last 9 years.

It's all about W's. I'm not surprised that some of you don't get that.
That's stat is so deceiving. Yes, Sampson's won 20+ games a year over the last 9 years. How does his NCAA tournament record measure-up compared to other coaches? How does he rank among active coaches when it comes to championships won? How about graduation rate for his players? How many players has he sent to the NBA?
If you're going to try and polish his image with stats, then be fair and show ALL his stats and not just the ONE that's flattering to him.

Crimsontothecore
3/29/2006, 01:39 PM
Kelvin took a step UP by moving to Indiana, not down.

The whole premise of this thread was OUskull trying to lay blame for Sampson leaving. Let me get this straight, We ran him off to a better job?.......uh...ok. Are we to believe he would have turned down Indiana had we fans been nicer to him this year? whatever.

Gandalf_The_Grey
3/29/2006, 04:21 PM
All of you people who throw out tournament success, answer me on the questions "Did Boehiem and Roy Williams miraculously become great coaches in the last 3 years?" Were they just plain ****ty coaches the first 20 to 30 years of their careers?

jdsooner
3/29/2006, 04:41 PM
Gee, I didn't know my opinion mattered so much to Kelvin Sampson. I am happy for Kelvin, although I think he is in over his head.

I think it is a good time for Kelvin to leave, both for him and for OU.

sanantoniosooner
3/29/2006, 06:31 PM
All of you people who throw out tournament success, answer me on the questions "Did Boehiem and Roy Williams miraculously become great coaches in the last 3 years?" Were they just plain ****ty coaches the first 20 to 30 years of their careers?

The Williams led Jayhawks won a remarkable 20 or more games in consecutive seasons his last 14 years at KU. Perhaps even more remarkable is the Jayhawks at home record where they went an incredible 201-17 (.922) in the cozy confines of Allen Fieldhouse where they enjoyed a 62 consecutive home game winning streak stretching over four plus seasons.

Over Williams tenure at KU his teams averaged almost 28 wins per season and enjoyed five 30-win seasons. Another remarkable record, one of solid consistency, is the Jayhawks 94-18 (.839) record in conference (Big Twelve) play.

In the previous 13 seasons prior to Williams departure the Jayhawks won nine regular season conference titles. When the Big Eight expanded to the Big 12 KU reeled off an impressive 94-18 (.839) record, won the regular season title four times and the postseason tournament three times. The Jayhawks were the first Big 12 team to post a 16-0 record in league play.

NCAA postseason tournament aka "Big Dance" time in the spring of each year was a time of rejoicing at KU. In Williams 15 seasons at KU the Jayhawks went to the "Big Dance" in all but his first year at KU, in other words 14 remarkable seasons in a row.

Williams led the Jayhawks as far as the Championship game twice and the Final Four on 2 occasions. KU coached by Williams went as far as the Sweet 16 four times and were stopped at the Elite Eight once. The Williams led Jayhawks own a 34-14 (.708) NCAA postseason tournament record which puts him in 6th place on the all time winningest list for active coaches participating in 10 or more NCAA postseason tournament games.

In 26 seasons, Boeheim's teams have won 20 or more games 24 times and they've never been under .500. He's taken Syracuse to the NCAA tournament 21 times and reached the finals three times, finally winning the championship in 2003.

Boeheim's record is 653-226, for a .743 winning percentage. He ranks 23rd all-time in victories and 16th in winning percentage.

yeah......I can see why you chose them as measuring sticks. Almost even swaps for Kelvin.:rolleyes:

Gandalf_The_Grey
3/29/2006, 07:19 PM
It took Boeheim what 23 years before he won a championship. All of his season stats are very similar to Sampson. 24 times he won 20 games, how many times has Sampson failed to get 20 wins. Boeheim didn't win until he brought in a superstar so good that other teams couldn't stop him. Has Sampson ever had a player of the Carmelo Anthony's ability to fall in his lap let alone Hakim Warrick. As for Roy Williams, he has seemingly had at least 2 NBA producers on his Roster throughout his coaching career. Sampson also hasn't had a Cozy Allen Fieldhouse to recruit too. I would say the only difference between the three is that Sampson has taken a program with none of the upside as those two and produced similar results except at postseason time, which btw Roy Williams couldn't win the big games in the tournament any more than Sampson, How many times did Roy get beat by a team with more talent or for that matter a higher seed.

sanantoniosooner
3/29/2006, 07:22 PM
Yeah.......those coaches have had a lot of disappointments.

Kelvin still isn't in their league.

Roy took over a good team, but he made them into a yearly powerhouse.

Jim built Syracuse into a program with upside.

Gandalf_The_Grey
3/29/2006, 07:30 PM
So you don't Kelvin could win a National Championship if he was coaching the Carmelo team or coaching last years UNC team, I mean hell a high school coach could have coaches UNC's group to a title.

sanantoniosooner
3/29/2006, 07:32 PM
So you don't Kelvin could win a National Championship if he was coaching the Carmelo team or coaching last years UNC team, I mean hell a high school coach could have coaches UNC's group to a title.
You really ought to go into coaching.

It's a piece of cake.

Gandalf_The_Grey
3/29/2006, 07:58 PM
Obviously since you know so much about what makes a great one and all, maybe you should get into that career.

sanantoniosooner
3/29/2006, 08:02 PM
All it takes is talent to win it all. You said so.

The fab 5 beg to differ.

Gandalf_The_Grey
3/29/2006, 08:11 PM
No it takes lots of luck and great players...hence I don't think Sampson is the worst coach in all of Division 1 because he hasn't won a championship that about 95% of the coaches haven't won either. And up until 3 years and 1 year ago, and in the case of people like Eddie Sutton, still haven't won a National Championship.

sanantoniosooner
3/29/2006, 08:13 PM
It's not all about winning. It's about competing for it. The coaches you mentioned have been in the running for NCs more consistently than Kelvin.

I like Kelvin, but I wouldn't think of putting him in their league.

Sooner24
3/29/2006, 08:17 PM
All it takes is talent to win it all. You said so.

The fab 5 beg to differ.

You do mean the Beatles with both Ringo and Pete Best don't you? ;)

http://www.pete-best.com/petebest.jpg

CtheB
3/29/2006, 08:51 PM

No offense here, Gandalf, but if Kelvin coaches Syracuse Carmelo transfers after his freshman year, and with UNC most of those kids end up in Europe rather than the NBA.

Gandalf_The_Grey
3/29/2006, 09:19 PM
Carmelo did transfer after his freshman year

Sooner24
3/29/2006, 09:24 PM
Carmelo did transfer after his freshman year

See how far reaching Kelvins powers are!!! :eek:

Gandalf_The_Grey
3/29/2006, 09:26 PM
I just hope Indiana doesn't get a fully functional Kelvin Star ;)

MojoRisen
3/29/2006, 09:33 PM
You don't have a clue.

IT is amazing that he is in that list- because every single coach on the list has made stronger runs in the tourney and Won NC in the last 10 years.

How come if you compare Kelvin to those guys- we loose to east pop corn state in the tourney- Hey we won 20 games this year with one Quality Win- that is a scewed stat and is overrated.

We will be getting a good coach- I hope we don't panic and start poping off offers- we have several people we can approach that will be very interested in this position. I look forward to fresh OKLAHOMA basketball- instead of thug ball with out the thug in it!

Big Red Ron
3/29/2006, 09:40 PM
Hey Dean, as Adminstrator can you change Nick's username to NickLeppard or something else instead of Zeppelin. It ruins Zeppelin for me a little bit.Heh...werd.

jdsooner
3/29/2006, 09:46 PM
Well, now we get a chance to see how great Kelvin is. He will be at a basketball school that has a great reputation. He should have little competition for state recruits. He is at a school that has won titles in the past. The women's program will not threaten to steal his thunder. In the next five years we will see if Kelvin can achieve true greatness and win championships. In the next five years let's see if he makes it to the Final Four with the Hoosiers or crashes and burns.

At Indiana, Kelvin has no excuse for failure. He will have everything he needs to succeed. Of course, he will also have the pressure of Great Expectations and the Indiana fans will be comparing his success of the living legend, Bobby Knight.

Stoop Dawg
3/29/2006, 11:10 PM
Well, now we get a chance to see how great Kelvin is. He will be at a basketball school that has a great reputation. He should have little competition for state recruits. He is at a school that has won titles in the past. The women's program will not threaten to steal his thunder. In the next five years we will see if Kelvin can achieve true greatness and win championships. In the next five years let's see if he makes it to the Final Four with the Hoosiers or crashes and burns.

At Indiana, Kelvin has no excuse for failure. He will have everything he needs to succeed. Of course, he will also have the pressure of Great Expectations and the Indiana fans will be comparing his success of the living legend, Bobby Knight.

I'm far less concerned about what Kelvin does at Indiana and far more concerned about what our next coach will do at Oklahoma. We lost a great coach and I'm not sure we can replace him. We'll see in the next five years.

Stoop Dawg
3/29/2006, 11:12 PM
IT is amazing that he is in that list- because every single coach on the list has made stronger runs in the tourney and Won NC in the last 10 years.

How come if you compare Kelvin to those guys- we loose to east pop corn state in the tourney- Hey we won 20 games this year with one Quality Win- that is a scewed stat and is overrated.

I didn't compare Kelvin to those guys. I mentioned an incredible stat that he shares with them.

We will be getting a good coach- I hope we don't panic and start poping off offers- we have several people we can approach that will be very interested in this position. I look forward to fresh OKLAHOMA basketball- instead of thug ball with out the thug in it!

I think it is unlikely that we'll get a *better* coach than KS. If we go to the Final Four in the next five years I'll be shocked.

RacerX
3/29/2006, 11:28 PM
If we go to the Final Four in the next five years I'll be shocked.

I felt that way if :kelvin: had stayed.

RacerX
3/29/2006, 11:29 PM
I didn't compare Kelvin to those guys. I mentioned an incredible stat that he shares with them.

http://images.despair.com/products/demotivators/compromise.jpg

Sooner24
3/29/2006, 11:38 PM

I think it is unlikely that we'll get a *better* coach than KS. If we go to the Final Four in the next five years I'll be shocked.

Did you mention the incredible stat that only two schools, Penn and some other mid-major I forget who, are the only schools to go out in the first round more then OU in Kelvin’s tenure?

Kelvin didn't go to the Final Four his first five years at OU so did that shock you?

If Kelvin is the best coach we will ever have at OU then we are screwed. Also whoever comes in is working the first couple of years with reduced scholarships and possibly losing this whole recruiting class thanks to Cingular and speed dial.

Stoop Dawg
3/29/2006, 11:47 PM
If Kelvin is the best coach we will ever have at OU then we are screwed. Also whoever comes in is working the first couple of years with reduced scholarships and possibly losing this whole recruiting class thanks to Cingular and speed dial.

Mark it. Time that excuses why new coach does not perform as well as KS is 3/29/2006 at 10:47pm (CST).

Stoop Dawg
3/29/2006, 11:49 PM
http://images.despair.com/products/demotivators/compromise.jpg

Heh. I love those posters.

You do have to admit that it's interesting how much negspek one can accumulate by pointing out the highlights of KS's career here at OU. I've got six in a row.

Sooner24
3/29/2006, 11:53 PM
Heh. I love those posters.

You do have to admit that it's interesting how much negspek one can accumulate by pointing out the highlights of KS's career here at OU. I've got six in a row.

You didn't get one from me.

Sooner24
3/29/2006, 11:54 PM
Mark it. Time that excuses why new coach does not perform as well as MD is 3/29/2006 at 10:47pm (CST).

Fixed! :D

Stoop Dawg
3/29/2006, 11:55 PM
You didn't get one from me.

And I probably deserved one from you.

Sooner24
3/29/2006, 11:56 PM
Let me ask you this Stoop, do you think Kelvin is going to go any further with IU then he went with OU?

RacerX
3/29/2006, 11:57 PM
I've heard that the IU fans are delusional thinking that they're school is still a power.

Facilities and what not are in BAD shape.

Stoop Dawg
3/30/2006, 12:04 AM
Define "further".

Win a NC? Probably not. It's freakin hard to win one of those.

Collect more tourny wins? Probably. The guy is a solid coach. I'm not going to put him into the "elite" ranks just yet, but he knows what the heck he's doing. I do think IU will offer a few more "intangibles" that will allow him to get a little "further".

But I'm really not all that concerned with what KS does at IU. I'm more concerned with what OU will do without KS. I think we had a pretty good thing going with KS coaching here. I just wonder if we can do better.

Stoop Dawg
3/30/2006, 12:05 AM
I've heard that the IU fans are delusional thinking that they're school is still a power.

Facilities and what not are in BAD shape.

Yeah, they've lost some luster. I can't speak to facilities.

But they do have history - and rabid fans.

Sooner24
3/30/2006, 12:19 AM
Define "further".

Collect more tourny wins? Probably. The guy is a solid coach. I'm not going to put him into the "elite" ranks just yet, but he knows what the heck he's doing. I do think IU will offer a few more "intangibles" that will allow him to get a little "further".

But I'm really not all that concerned with what KS does at IU. I'm more concerned with what OU will do without KS. I think we had a pretty good thing going with KS coaching here. I just wonder if we can do better.

Fewer first round exits and a sweet sixteen every other year or so.

Sooner24
3/30/2006, 12:23 AM
Define "further".

I am because it will go a long way, in my mind, in determining if Kelvin had reached his plateau as a coach or was just held back by being at OU.

MojoRisen
3/30/2006, 12:33 AM

Hope your wrong- and I am confident that we will! I have never been a precentage compare person- Kelvin is a good coach- but I prefer another good coach if that makes sense!

the_ouskull
3/31/2006, 09:59 AM
OUskull,

I think you mean that he's living b*tch as a noun, not an adjective. As in, he is a b*tch. If you really meant adjective, you'd be saying he's a b*tch person, or he is b*tchy, or something. I think you meant to say, he is a b*itch. As you have apparently forgotten, a noun is a person, place, or thing. An adjective modifies a noun. Nice attempt at a clever put-down, though.

I know exactly what I meant... "Bitch" is used to modify the existing person, making it an adjective.

As for the rest of the thread, well, my intention was to get people talking. I'd say it worked. And, given that Kelvin DID leave for a better job, I'm not upset about that... I'm just upset about the fact that OU didn't try harder to keep him seeing as we're going to be in dire straits looking for someone better...

the_ouskull

Crimsontothecore
3/31/2006, 10:07 AM
we're going to be in dire straits looking for someone better...

the_ouskull
Yeah, I heard that Joe C. is flying to Dire Straits today to meet with a prospect.
I suppose you believe Sampson will be cutting down the nets after next years final four? I can't believe you think he leaves behind shoes too big to fill.

Harry Beanbag
3/31/2006, 10:09 AM
I'm not sure Mark Knopfler would be a good fit in Norman.

Vegas Sooner
3/31/2006, 11:58 AM
I'm not sure Mark Knopfler would be a good fit in Norman.

.....but we could have one of the best guitar players ever in LNC. ....do you think that he would make the rest of the team wear those sweat bands???

Stoop Dawg
3/31/2006, 12:55 PM
I suppose you believe Sampson will be cutting down the nets after next years final four? I can't believe you think he leaves behind shoes too big to fill.

It's not so much that Sampson is going to rattle off 5 NCs in a row or anything. It's more along the lines that he is a solid coach (just below "elite"?) and I'm not sure that OU can attract a *better* (i.e. "elite") coach. We may end up with more of the same, or we may end up with worse. I think it's unlikely that we end up with *better*. Make sense?

Rock Hard Corn Frog
3/31/2006, 05:33 PM
I know exactly what I meant... "Bitch" is used to modify the existing person, making it an adjective.

As for the rest of the thread, well, my intention was to get people talking. I'd say it worked. And, given that Kelvin DID leave for a better job, I'm not upset about that... I'm just upset about the fact that OU didn't try harder to keep him seeing as we're going to be in dire straits looking for someone better...

the_ouskull

How about "Jason Sutherland grew bitch t*ts so he doesn't have to leave the house anymore"? That is an adjective, right?

RacerX
3/31/2006, 10:48 PM
Intention was to get people talking....like the threads weren't flying anyway.

Geez.

the_ouskull
4/1/2006, 09:52 PM
How about "Jason Sutherland grew bitch t*ts so he doesn't have to leave the house anymore"? That is an adjective, right?

If he was scared to leave the house, it was because someone he fouled was probably waiting outside his house in the bushes. I'm pretty sure that half of the Big 8 wanted to stab him in the face.

the_ouskull

BarryBnds
4/2/2006, 03:14 PM

If we go to a final four in the next five years that coach will be light years ahead of Kelvin. If memory serves he was 1 for 12 for the Final Four. Then again he was 5 for 11 in first round games alone so I don't think the bar was set to awfully high.

Crimsontothecore
4/2/2006, 07:17 PM
It's not so much that Sampson is going to rattle off 5 NCs in a row or anything. It's more along the lines that he is a solid coach (just below "elite"?) and I'm not sure that OU can attract a *better* (i.e. "elite") coach. We may end up with more of the same, or we may end up with worse. I think it's unlikely that we end up with *better*. Make sense?
I understand your point but my money's on Joe C. that we do better. Just call me a "glass half full" kind of guy.

Gandalf_The_Grey
4/2/2006, 11:01 PM
If we go to a final four in the next five years that coach will be light years ahead of Kelvin. If memory serves he was 1 for 12 for the Final Four. Then again he was 5 for 11 in first round games alone so I don't think the bar was set to awfully high.

What is your hero Billy Tubbs Final Four %

BarryBnds
4/3/2006, 01:05 AM
What is your hero Billy Tubbs Final Four %

Please don't compare Denim to Silk. Tubbs has 18 20-win seasons. He took OU to 6 consecutive Sweet 16's. He had one final four appearance in 14 years which Kelvin would've duplicated had he stayed here another two years. You make yourself look foolish when you stand by Mr. First Round Exit. You're better off comparing Cal to John Macleod.

Gandalf_The_Grey
4/3/2006, 01:30 AM
6 consecutive Sweet 16's.....Was this in some bizarro reality world that doesn't exist...if you are going to talk smack about Kelvin at least investigate your idol Tubbs and realize if he went to 6 consecutive Sweet 16's, 3 of them must have been in his mind since the most i could find was 3 in a row. Also this was a time of less parity so he has less of an excuse than Sampson. Sampson had 2 more years to top Tubbs. Tubbs also only has 12 20 win seasons at OU and that is all that really counts in my book. 3-8 was Tubb's record in his final 11 games at OU

azfanIV
4/3/2006, 03:32 AM
OU will easily end up with a better coach than what we've had. Calvin will be easy to replace. He's a complete dip****.

BarryBnds
4/3/2006, 08:58 AM
6 consecutive Sweet 16's.....Was this in some bizarro reality world that doesn't exist...if you are going to talk smack about Kelvin at least investigate your idol Tubbs and realize if he went to 6 consecutive Sweet 16's, 3 of them must have been in his mind since the most i could find was 3 in a row. Also this was a time of less parity so he has less of an excuse than Sampson. Sampson had 2 more years to top Tubbs. Tubbs also only has 12 20 win seasons at OU and that is all that really counts in my book. 3-8 was Tubb's record in his final 11 games at OU

My stats were taken directly off of the Lamar page for Billy:

http://lamarcardinals.cstv.com/genrel/tubbs_billy00.html

And please just state facts. Stating that there is parity means you can't back up what your mancrush Denim with facts so you've got to point out other excuses to make him look like a good coach. 500+ is the number of times Cal broke NCAA violations his last few years at OU.

If he grew a personality, sported a white shirt every once in a while, and played offense he might have won more fans over. But he didn't so I'll be happy to see him out of work in 3 years and exposed for the fraud of a coach he is.

MojoRisen
4/3/2006, 09:19 AM
Bada bing

Rock Hard Corn Frog
4/3/2006, 09:39 AM
OU made the Sweet 16 4 times under Billy Tubbs, including 3 years in a row.

80-81 9-18
81-82 22-11 NIT
82-83 24-9 Lost in Rd 2 to Indiana
83-84 29-5 Lost in Rd 1 to Dayton
84-85 31-6 Elite 8
85-86 26-9 Lost in Rd 2 to Depaul
86-87 24-10 Sweet 16
87-88 35-4 NCAA Title game
88-89 30-6 Sweet 16
89-90 27-5 Lost in Rd 2 to UNC
90-91 20-15 NIT
91-92 21-9 Lost in Rd 1 to SW Louisiana
92-93 20-12 NIT
93-94 15-13 NIT

Tubbs had 12 20 win seasons at OU in 14 seasons although in 90-91 OU played 35 games. He made the NCAA tourney 9 times 64%. Sampson had 10 20 win seasons in 12 years (although in 96-97 the team was 19-11 and certainly would have had 20 wins if they had 35 games) Sampson made the NCAA tourney 11 times in 12 years 91.6%.

My conclusion: Sampson was more successful overall in getting OU into the NCAA tourney. Tubbs was more successful once the team was in the tourney. Both were very successful overall and I hope our next coach is close to as successful as either.

oumartin
4/3/2006, 09:42 AM
why do people keep bringing up tubbs? Tubbs had his run, Sampson had his, lets move on.

Stoop Dawg
4/3/2006, 10:49 AM
My stats were taken directly off of the Lamar page for Billy:

http://lamarcardinals.cstv.com/genrel/tubbs_billy00.html

And please just state facts.

He took OU to nine NCAA Tournaments and four NIT's during his tenure, including a streak of six straight "Sweet 16" appearances from 1985-90

Perhaps you need a better source for your "facts".

In 86 we were a 4 seed and lost to a 12 seed in the second round.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1986_NCAA_Men's_Division_I_Basketball_Tournament

In 90 we were a 1 seed and lost to a 8 seed in the second round.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1990_NCAA_Men's_Division_I_Basketball_Tournament

Stoop Dawg
4/3/2006, 10:52 AM
90-91 20-15 NIT
91-92 21-9 Lost in Rd 1 to SW Louisiana
92-93 20-12 NIT
93-94 15-13 NIT

Ouch.

BarryBnds
4/3/2006, 10:57 AM
My conclusion: Sampson was more successful overall in getting OU into the NCAA tourney. Tubbs was more successful once the team was in the tourney. Both were very successful overall and I hope our next coach is close to as successful as either.

I agree wholeheartedly.

Gandalf_The_Grey
4/3/2006, 02:43 PM
The Bonds troll just got pwned :P