PDA

View Full Version : Stupid question from an IU fan

robertdylan
3/28/2006, 02:00 PM
Since I expect to be asked "what kind of offense does he run" 50 times today when I tell people we've picked a new head coach, if you guys could put it into words...what kind of offense does coach Sampson run?

Yes, I know we played you guys in '02 but, um, well, there were lots of parties around here at that time and I don't exactly remember too much about that game ;)

Thanks, sorry for your guys loss, may the scourge that is Mike Davis NOT come to your school...

Boomhauer
3/28/2006, 02:04 PM
Do the 4 man weave at the top of the key until there are 3 seconds on the shot clock....then the player must chunk it towards the basket.

soonermark
3/28/2006, 02:05 PM
Since I expect to be asked "what kind of offense does he run" 50 times today when I tell people we've picked a new head coach, if you guys could put it into words...what kind of offense does coach Sampson run?

Yes, I know we played you guys in '02 but, um, well, there were lots of parties around here at that time and I don't exactly remember too much about that game ;)

Thanks, sorry for your guys loss, may the scourge that is Mike Davis NOT come to your school...

When you find out, let us know.

JohnnyMack
3/28/2006, 02:05 PM
Dated would be a word.

Boring would be a word.

Cellphone calls. That's two words.

SoonerStud615
3/28/2006, 02:06 PM
To be blunt....i'd categorize it as the stand around and pass offense. Don't take this as a knock on Sampson. I have nothing against him, he just runs a slow, methodical offense which tends to leave us high and dry with 2 seconds on the shot clock.

KABOOKIE
3/28/2006, 02:07 PM
I called it the pass-pass-cuck-a-brick offense

JohnnyMack
3/28/2006, 02:07 PM
KS can coach the hell out of some D, his offensive scheming leaves something to be desired.

SoonerAtKU
3/28/2006, 02:08 PM
I call it the "Stop-Motion" Offense.

JohnnyMack
3/28/2006, 02:08 PM
I called it the pass-pass-cuck-a-brick offense

It was the "nin-jee" of the basketball world.

TopDaugIn2000
3/28/2006, 02:19 PM
http://www.sachsreport.com/yawn.jpg

crawfish
3/28/2006, 02:21 PM
Sampson is a coach who has got the most out of tweeners and undersized/undertalented players through heart and hustle. His recruiting has improved over the past few years but he has not yet proven he knows how to coach more athletic, talented players to the same level.

I think he can succeed, and at IU we should find out pretty quick.

robertdylan
3/28/2006, 02:27 PM
What i've read elsewhere in the last few minutes is he runs a 1-3-1 motion offense. That is going to go over BIG around these parts.

Dio
3/28/2006, 02:31 PM
Just make sure you spell his last name right. It's S-A-M-P-S-E-N, because he doesn't believe in "O"

Harry Beanbag
3/28/2006, 02:32 PM
What i've read elsewhere in the last few minutes is he runs a 1-3-1 motion offense. That is going to go over BIG around these parts.

If by 1-3-1 motion you mean point guard stands at the top of the key and dribbles while the other four guys stand around, then that's a pretty good description.

IronSooner
3/28/2006, 02:36 PM
Sampson is actually dyslexic. His mantra is "The best Offense is a good Defense." Enjoy the 45-50 games and around-the-arc passing.

Beef
3/28/2006, 02:40 PM
To be blunt....
What does Everett have to do with this??:kelvin: :kelvin: :kelvin: :kelvin: :kelvin: :kelvin: :kelvin: :kelvin: :kelvin: :kelvin:

SoonerShark
3/28/2006, 02:40 PM
I am sad to see Kelvin go. I am glad to see Kelvin go. I want him to do well in the future until he plays Oklahoma.

CtheB
3/28/2006, 03:16 PM

That 'scourge' punked your new head coach the only time the two coached against each other for something.

william_brasky
3/28/2006, 03:28 PM

for many years he ran a 1-4 set with alot of high post entry and hand-off options. very guard oriented and very patterned.

these last 2 seasons, he ran some different sets because of his personnel.

not the type of motion offenses i'm accustomed to.

at the end of games you might go a little nuts with his point man isolation offense where everyone is spread out and the point man starts to drive with about 10 on the shot clock. we likened it to a prevent defense in football. prevent you from winning the game.

good luck dude.

oumartin
3/28/2006, 03:29 PM
some of the best and funniest posts I've ever read have been posted in here. the pic was just awesome TD2K

Taxman71
3/28/2006, 03:30 PM
Sampson is successful when he has gifted guards that can score without any real offensive sets being run. If the guards can score on penetration (clear out) or shoot a high percentage from the perimeter (see Hollis Price), you are in luck (yes, this would also apply to every team). Just don't expect some wizardry out of bounds plays or backdoor cuts, it just does not happen.

His teams (sans 2005-2006) always play hard defense and outrebound opponents. However, I would not label him a player's coach due to his inability to keep freshman around for more than 2 years at a time. High school AA's don't take kindly to getting floorburns every day and averaging 6 pts/game.

TopDaugIn2000
3/28/2006, 03:40 PM
you like 1 point games?

Octavian
3/28/2006, 03:53 PM
I would not label him a player's coach...

I just GIS'd "mouthfull"...as in "you said a mouthfull there"

its definetely NSFW.

so yeah.....you said a mouthfull

TopDaugIn2000
3/28/2006, 03:59 PM
the pic was just awesome TD2K

I did a GIS for "yawn" and couldn't quit yawning while looking at the results. so weird.

ouradu
3/28/2006, 04:06 PM
This thread was really unnecessary. Just look at any of the numerous threads about KS or even just the team in general and you'd get the gist. Just check out a game thread and you'll see how utterly frustrated you will be with the offense. As much as I actually liked Kelvin-ball, I'm not terribly upset about this. Change can be good.

Taxman71
3/28/2006, 04:20 PM
you like 1 point games?

I like 1 point wins more than 1 point losses.