PDA

View Full Version : who are the candidates?

PDXsooner
3/28/2006, 01:27 PM
don't say laranaga, there is no chance.

are there any candidates that really make sense?

Taxman71
3/28/2006, 01:30 PM
Mark Turgeon is tops right now I would think (if Joe C. is comfortable hiring a Shocker:))

Salt City Sooner
3/28/2006, 01:35 PM
If they want the same perpetual bitching and griping from the fans about not scoring enough, then Turgeon is their guy. He has YET to average 73 points a game at WSU.

PDXsooner
3/28/2006, 01:37 PM
turgeon - great call!

Taxman71
3/28/2006, 01:43 PM
If they want the same perpetual bitching and griping from the fans about not scoring enough, then Turgeon is their guy. He has YET to average 73 points a game at WSU.

OU fans don't really hate Sampson's brand of ball as much as they just don't like Sampson. It started with "quit yelling 'Texas Sucks'" and will end with possible probation. He better use some of his cash on a marketing firm or the Hoosier fans will rip him as well. Imagine Hoosier fans going from adoring a coach who throws chairs at referees to one who refuses to argue a call.

virginiasooner
3/28/2006, 01:43 PM
The coach from George Washington (name escapes me now) is said to be looking to escape Foggy Bottom. He was also supposedly up for the Cincinnati job.

okienole3
3/28/2006, 01:44 PM
i have said it before and i will say it again.....the fat man.

garland sooner
3/28/2006, 01:45 PM
]one who refuses to argue a call.

ooo... that bothered me the most. Good coaches can use a technical to their advantage. He did not take one all year.

Taxman71
3/28/2006, 01:47 PM
ooo... that bothered me the most. Good coaches can use a technical to their advantage. He did not take one all year.

Not to mention the impact it has on the crowd and the players who want a coach who defends their team/players/school. Show me a coach who works the refs over good and I will show you a very loyal fanbase (Knight, Sutton, Tubbs).

william_brasky
3/28/2006, 01:52 PM
i have said it before and i will say it again.....the fat man.

I agree.

1) Majerus
2) Pelphrey

Grimey
3/28/2006, 01:58 PM
where is the West Virginia coach going? I heard he wants out of there.

william_brasky
3/28/2006, 01:58 PM
Pelphrey was an assistant at Florida under Donovan.

Ex-Florida assistant coaches do pretty well at OU. :)

If we cannot get Majerus, I say Pelphrey.

SoonersEnFuego
3/28/2006, 02:06 PM
OU fans don't really hate Sampson's brand of ball as much as they just don't like Sampson.

I disagree.
Most fans want to see Tubbslike scoring and running up the floor. Even though the game isn't played like that much anymore, I think if a team did this, it would bring more exciting players and scorers to Oklahoma and make it a top program. Maybe not like Duke or UNC, but just under that.

OklahomaTuba
3/28/2006, 02:12 PM
Duke's not bad. How about that guy?

:)

RacerX
3/28/2006, 02:13 PM
I guarantee Joe has a list.

Okieflyer
3/28/2006, 02:15 PM
Why not John Calipari?

Harry Beanbag
3/28/2006, 02:15 PM
They're all over Majerus' jock out here for the ASU job. Supposedly, he already said he would take $600,000 for the job.

Okieflyer
3/28/2006, 02:16 PM
Duke's not bad. How about that guy?

:)

Yeah maybe he's tired of going to Final Fours! :D

humblesooner
3/28/2006, 02:19 PM
Billy Gillespie has to be considered, doesn't he?

william_brasky
3/28/2006, 02:21 PM
They're all over Majerus' jock out here for the ASU job. Supposedly, he already said he would take $600,000 for the job.

that would really surprise me if he took the ASU job. he would have carte blanche out there though.

I also said there was no way Indy would take Kelvin. :rolleyes:

Salt City Sooner
3/28/2006, 02:21 PM
OU fans don't really hate Sampson's brand of ball as much as they just don't like Sampson. It started with "quit yelling 'Texas Sucks'" and will end with possible probation. He better use some of his cash on a marketing firm or the Hoosier fans will rip him as well. Imagine Hoosier fans going from adoring a coach who throws chairs at referees to one who refuses to argue a call.
I disagree. I know that there's that faction that just don't like KS because of events like the Texas sucks" thing, but the portion that dislikes him because of his brand of play is MUCH larger, IMO. If I had a buck for every "Well, it's just not as fun as BillyBall was" type of post that I've seen, or "I don't go to the games anymore because it's just too boring", I could retire right now & live comfortably for the rest of my days, & I'm all of 38.

Don't get me wrong, I think Turgeon would be a GREAT hire. WSU is my 2nd favorite team (I was born in Wichita), so I follow them closely as well. In his time there, Turgeon has NEVER failed to win more games than he won the year before. I'd just be willing to bet that in 5 years, you'll hear the EXACT same complaints that you've been hearing from the anti-Kelvin crowd for years now.

sooner n houston
3/28/2006, 02:23 PM
Nolan Richardson!

Salt City Sooner
3/28/2006, 02:26 PM
Flyer, Calipari's dirty. See his time at UMass. I highly doubt he'd leave anyway because other than the B12 being a bigger name than C-USA, OU is not a step up from Memphis.

Humble, Gillispie just signed a big extension at A&M because they were worried about him going to Indiana. Height of ironies.......

fwsooner22
3/28/2006, 02:30 PM
Taxman71 nailed it.........Sampson is a bully............You don't tell your fan base how to act (when you are a new coach), then cheat and then say good bye..........what a sorry set of circumstances............I hope we chased him out of here but I doubt it.............

How about Terry Stotts?

boomersooner28
3/28/2006, 02:34 PM
I like Mark Few...but thats just me.

william_brasky
3/28/2006, 02:36 PM
I like Mark Few...but thats just me.

I do too, but I don't think he wants to leave Gonzaga.

Grimey
3/28/2006, 02:38 PM
How about Scott Sutton?;)

okienole3
3/28/2006, 02:42 PM
The "stop yelling texas sucks" comment is the polar opposite of the "no matter how poor the officiating is..." comment.

william_brasky
3/28/2006, 02:45 PM
I wonder if we would and could make a run at the George Mason coach?

SoonersEnFuego
3/28/2006, 02:45 PM
Steve Lavin

Octavian
3/28/2006, 02:49 PM
Duke's not bad...

Coach K's assistant Johnny Dawkins would be an amazing hire for OU

william_brasky
Steve Lavin

No thank you.

okienole3
I wonder if we would and could make a run at the George Mason coach?

We need a proven coach, not the flavor of the month.

william_brasky
3/28/2006, 02:51 PM
We need a proven coach, not the flavor of the month.

The guy's got a very solid rep.

okienole3
3/28/2006, 02:54 PM
Coach K's assistant Johnny Dawkins would be an amazing hire for OU

You are joking right?

Quin Snyder

Tommy Amakar

No thanks.

trey
3/28/2006, 03:06 PM
sean? how about:eddie:

william_brasky
3/28/2006, 03:11 PM
I wonder if we could make a run at Billy Donovan. That'd be sweet.

GDC
3/28/2006, 03:15 PM
http://images.usatoday.com/sports/college/_photos/2003-05-27-inside-tubbs.jpg

Skysooner
3/28/2006, 03:18 PM
What about Scott Drew? It would be a risk, but he has done wonders with Baylor in impossible conditions.

oumartin
3/28/2006, 03:21 PM
first thought I had too gdc..

I get tickled at all this. Kelvin was OU basketball and how we are gonna miss him. maybe, maybe not. OU has been winning at a high level for nearly 30 years. OU will survive.

I say Calipari but I'm sure there might be someone better suited. Hobbs is the george washington coach. no thanks on the george mason coach. he has one foot in the grave.

what about that calhoun fellow. bet he's in hot water right now. ;)

ouflak
3/28/2006, 03:23 PM
I will be surprised if we get anybody decent. This fanbase wouldn't know a good coach if he came and coached them to 10 consecutive 20 win seasons. We will be very lucky to hire somebody who's willing to come to a school with such unrealistic expectations.

GDC
3/28/2006, 03:25 PM
http://www.news-star.com/images/082599/spo_haskins.jpg

lufkinaggie07
3/28/2006, 03:27 PM
Majerus and Mark Few have to be the top two candidates, for the right amount of money Few will leave Gonzaga, Majerus would be an excellent hire, he has experience and is a proven coach. Hell, go after every big name coach you can!

william_brasky
3/28/2006, 03:29 PM
good call aggie. did I just type that?

Majerus and Few should be 1 and 1A.

oumartin
3/28/2006, 03:30 PM
is that todd bridges he's coaching gdc?

AllAboutThe'O'
3/28/2006, 03:34 PM
How about Charlie Spoonhour?;)

Taxman71
3/28/2006, 03:34 PM
I will be surprised if we get anybody decent. This fanbase wouldn't know a good coach if he came and coached them to 10 consecutive 20 win seasons. We will be very lucky to hire somebody who's willing to come to a school with such unrealistic expectations.

I disagree. I think the fans quit coming because of Sampson's lack of engaging personality, not his lack of success. While his record is unquestionably great, his post-season lack of success made him an easy target for those that just didn't like him. When a coach loses the fans, they quit coming regardless of success.

A new, exciting coach will see a renewed interest from the fans regardless of record. Sampson has the skills to win games, but lacks the skills to fill up an arena.

Blue
3/28/2006, 03:37 PM
Pelphrey. He's up tempo.

william_brasky
3/28/2006, 03:38 PM
Pelphrey. He's up tempo.

he should def. be on the short list.

Octavian
3/28/2006, 03:39 PM
You are joking right?

Quin Snyder

Tommy Amakar

No thanks.

No, I'm not joking. Are they all the same person? No.

If anything, the law of averages says its time for a high profile Duke assistant to break through. Put Johnny Dawkins on the sideline in Norman...give him a chance to recruit against BigXII programs...IMO he'd be great as a Sooner.

YWIA.

royalfan5
3/28/2006, 03:41 PM
You guys should stick it Nebraska and Hire Barry Collier;)

soonerscuba
3/28/2006, 03:42 PM
Sherri Coale.

AllAboutThe'O'
3/28/2006, 03:46 PM

If anything, the law of averages says its time for a high profile Duke assistant to break through. Put Johnny Dawkins on the sideline in Norman...give him a chance to recruit against BigXII programs...IMO he'd be great as a Sooner.

YWIA.
I would have to add Mike Brey to the list of Coach K proteges that didn't quite pan out. Although I think he's a good coach, and Notre Dame had the worst hard-luck season I've ever seen in recent memory. But he's not the type of coach who strikes me as national-championship caliber.
Then again, OU has had success hiring coaches who had no prior head coaching experience (Bud, Barry and Bob immediately come to mind).

The Maestro
3/28/2006, 03:55 PM
Dave Bliss.

Dick Vitale.

Gdog
3/28/2006, 03:58 PM
What about Terry Evans? I don't know how he has done at UCO, but I always thought he would be a natural fit....

Pennies
3/28/2006, 04:10 PM
If Mark Few was not interested in Indiana, do you think he'd go to Oklahoma? A poster on this board mentioned Barry Collier, and OU would do well to consider him. He is a tremendous coach and a better man.

soonerlaw
3/28/2006, 04:16 PM
Who is the coach from Creighton? I've heard his name come up. Anybody know anything about him?

william_brasky
3/28/2006, 04:16 PM
If Mark Few was not interested in Indiana, do you think he'd go to Oklahoma?

Yes. Indy's a snakepit of a job in comparison to OU in term of hoops.

And Collier is a fine coach, but I just don't see him being a candidate for the OU gig.

CobraKai
3/28/2006, 04:20 PM
I disagree. I think the fans quit coming because of Sampson's lack of engaging personality, not his lack of success.

I'm not sure. Billy Tubbs had a very engaging personality, and had a wildly exciting brand of basketball, and the fans did not come for him either.

FroggyStyle22
3/28/2006, 04:21 PM
Don Nelson

That Phil Jackson guy

Gene Hackman (worked in Hoosiers)

AllAboutThe'O'
3/28/2006, 04:24 PM
Who is the coach from Creighton? I've heard his name come up. Anybody know anything about him?
Dana Altman, also the head coach at Kansas State. Ask Wildcat fans if they were sorry to see him go to Creighton.

william_brasky
3/28/2006, 04:26 PM
Is John Wooden still around? What about Red Aeurbach (sp)? ;)

Taxman71
3/28/2006, 04:26 PM
I'm not sure. Billy Tubbs had a very engaging personality, and had a wildly exciting brand of basketball, and the fans did not come for him either.

They did until the final days..which were play suckiness. Calvin Curry jacking up 30 footers, no defense and no intensity. There is always a point when fans cannot take any more losing (see the John Blake era) and will finally quit coming rather than go home angry.

My point was that the LNC would have been full at least twice as often if Sampson played to them a little. The Indiana fans probably don't care since they are such diehards for roundball (just like OUfans for football).

william_brasky
3/28/2006, 04:28 PM
yeah, the IU fans may enjoy Sampson ball. who knows?

Bourbon St Sooner
3/28/2006, 04:31 PM

Let's see, we just ran off a very successful coach because are fan base is spoiled and has overinflated expectations. This reminds me of when Nebraska football was looking for a coach after firing Solich. Forget about your first choice, move straight to your 5th or 6th. Maybe there's somebody that just got fired in the NBA.

william_brasky
3/28/2006, 04:34 PM
Let's see, we just ran off a very successful coach because are fan base is spoiled and has overinflated expectations. This reminds me of when Nebraska football was looking for a coach after firing Solich. Forget about your first choice, move straight to your 5th or 6th. Maybe there's somebody that just got fired in the NBA.

have faith in Joe C. dude. if not Joe C., then the almighty dollar. we'll have a nice chunk of change to offer whoever we go after. people like money.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
3/28/2006, 04:37 PM

Not a perfect example because Joe C >> Peterson and Neb football > OU basketball but Neb did fire a fairly successful coach and then were suprised/embarassed when several candidates dare turn down the Neb coaching job.

Fans that say they will support a new coach might need to put their $ where their mouth is because it is going to take $$$ for a top coach to come in. We are probably going to have to roll the dice with a mid-major coach or assistant.

william_brasky
3/28/2006, 04:45 PM
We are probably going to have to roll the dice with a mid-major coach or assistant.

Probably, but might as well check the big dogs (Majerus, Few) first.

OUstud
3/28/2006, 05:00 PM
Rob Jeter. If you can't beat 'em, join 'em.

CobraKai
3/28/2006, 05:03 PM
They did until the final days..which were play suckiness. Calvin Curry jacking up 30 footers, no defense and no intensity. There is always a point when fans cannot take any more losing (see the John Blake era) and will finally quit coming rather than go home angry.

My point was that the LNC would have been full at least twice as often if Sampson played to them a little. The Indiana fans probably don't care since they are such diehards for roundball (just like OUfans for football).

I was there from 1988 to 1993, and we camped out for the big games (KUs, Mizzous, UNLVs) and had 5000 people there for the Coppin States and Nebraskas, pretty similar to the way it is now. However, the notion that Tubbs packed them in is not true, unless you only consider the big-name teams. Also, back then we typically only had 12-13 games on TV, so you either went or listened to it on the radio. Now they are all televised on SSN.

skycat
3/28/2006, 05:15 PM
Dana Altman, also the head coach at Kansas State. Ask Wildcat fans if they were sorry to see him go to Creighton.

He's probably a better coach now than he was then. I don't think he was quite ready for what was at the time a pretty big time job. He was certainly a hell of a lot better coach than the next two guys we got.

But there's no doubt in my mind that he would be a step down from Sampson.

OU James
3/28/2006, 05:15 PM
Tom Penders, Dean Blevins

husker-stv
3/28/2006, 05:36 PM
Dana Altman would be a great hire. Probably not better than Few or Majerus, but if you're going the mid-major route, skip Turgeon and look for Altman.

In 12 years at Creighton, he's taken them to the post-season 10 times - 7 NCAA tourneys (with 3 wins against Florida, Louisville and New Mexico St). He consistently graduates all of his players - runs the program with class - and always puts an exciting product on the floor. Creighton now is in the top 15 nationally in attendance (Average around 14,000 fans per game). They dominate Nebraska every year (not saying much) - and every year take out an Iowa, Okie St, or other bigger name programs - this year they went on the road and beat George Mason by 20. The only reason they didn't make the dance this year is their top 2 players got hurt - and they still won 20. And by the way, Altman owns Turgeon head to head.

Someone mentioned KSU not being sad to see him go - I wonder what they think now? - he coached there for 4 years - 2 NIT's and 2 NCAA's - recruited Mitch Ritchmond. I don't believe they've been to the dance (maybe 1 NIT) since he left - so KSU should rue the day he left.

As a Creighton fan, it would be an absolutely enormous loss, and I would hate to see him go, but you would all be doing great to land him.

JohnnyMack
3/28/2006, 05:40 PM
Calvin Curry jacking up 30 footers

I was at that game. :D That was greatness I tell you.

MRNOTDUCKS
3/28/2006, 05:45 PM
Melvin Watkins runs a clean program. He's currently looking for work.
OK, just joking.

I like the sound of y'all luring away Scott Drew from Baylor.

How will the NCAA violations affect your search for a coach?

What's been the reaction from Hoosier fans about their new hire? I heard Jim Rome today saying it was a good hire.

skycat
3/28/2006, 05:47 PM
Someone mentioned KSU not being sad to see him go - I wonder what they think now? - he coached there for 4 years - 2 NIT's and 2 NCAA's - recruited Mitch Ritchmond. I don't believe they've been to the dance (maybe 1 NIT) since he left - so KSU should rue the day he left.

As a Creighton fan, it would be an absolutely enormous loss, and I would hate to see him go, but you would all be doing great to land him.

Like I wrote, he was better than the next two guys we got, but that's more of a statement on their effectiveness than Altman's. He came to K-State mostly on the strength of having recruited Richmond when he was an assistant here. But he never brought anyone in with near that talent as a head coach. He never had a winning conference record. He did have the one NCAA, but we slipped back after that.

He wouldn't be all that bad of a hire. I do believe that he has improved as a coach since we forced him out. But he's not overly charasmatic, something that I believe the OU head coach needs to be to be successful, nor do I believe that he has the potential to put together a team capable of winning a National Championship.

okienole3
3/28/2006, 06:34 PM

YWIA.

No, they aren't the same person. But, they bring in the same system and it has been proven that it doesn't work when your bench isn't filled with McDonald's AAs.

OKC-SLC
3/28/2006, 06:57 PM
is that todd bridges he's coaching gdc?
whatchyou talkin bout?

okienole3
3/28/2006, 06:59 PM
http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/7040/majerus219copy3hp.jpg

Ignore the NIT in the background. ;)

OKC-SLC
3/28/2006, 07:05 PM
I see a lot of people are interested in Majerus. Living here in SLC, I can tell you a couple of things. He's very flaky--we all know about his living in the University Marriott his whole time here, and what about the USC turnabout last year? I work with a former player of his, and Majerus was damn near abusive (nttawwt). The fans here felt that his style was boring.

Not to mention the guy's heart is a ticking time bomb.

I think Joe C. is looking for a younger, big-picture guy; I think that's what we should be looking for, too.

ouflak
3/28/2006, 07:13 PM
I really wonder what good coach would come to a school where the few fans it has have run off the best basketball coach they've had in there history. It just seems to me from a reality point of view that if the coach is actually a good coach, he's going to want to go where the expectations are realistic and where his success is appreciated.

I've noticed this phenomenom at the other schools boards where they've lost their coaches. All of these fantasy names start getting thrown around, before people finally start to come down to earth and realize that there is rather huge gulf between what they daydream and what a potential coach is actually willing to come in and take on.

These big names you guys are throwing would surely be interested in going to a basketball school with great fan support. Do you think they'd really be interested in coming to OU? For what reasons? Maybe the challenge of creating an even stronger basketball presence at what is essentially a football school? I suppose that might attract some decent coaches.... I'm just not sure who....

WisconsinSooner
3/28/2006, 07:15 PM
I like Majerus as much as anybody, I'm living in the guys hometown and he's one of the most popular figures in Wisconsin, but the guy is 58 yrs old and in pretty poor health. (which is one of the big reasons he quit coaching in the first place) I really don't know if Oklahoma is intriguing to him or if that is the direction we should really consider. He's a great great coach but we wouldn't have him for more than 5 years tops. And we would be lucky to get that out of him.

WisconsinSooner
3/28/2006, 07:17 PM
Not to mention the guy's heart is a ticking time bomb.

I think Joe C. is looking for a younger, big-picture guy; I think that's what we should be looking for, too.

agreed

Blue
3/28/2006, 07:18 PM
Pelphrey! Pelphrey!

PDXsooner
3/28/2006, 07:43 PM
I really wonder what good coach would come to a school where the few fans it has have run off the best basketball coach they've had in there history. It just seems to me from a reality point of view that if the coach is actually a good coach, he's going to want to go where the expectations are realistic and where his success is appreciated.

I've noticed this phenomenom at the other schools boards where they've lost their coaches. All of these fantasy names start getting thrown around, before people finally start to come down to earth and realize that there is rather huge gulf between what they daydream and what a potential coach is actually willing to come in and take on.

These big names you guys are throwing would surely be interested in going to a basketball school with great fan support. Do you think they'd really be interested in coming to OU? For what reasons? Maybe the challenge of creating an even stronger basketball presence at what is essentially a football school? I suppose that might attract some decent coaches.... I'm just not sure who....

someone will come to OU if the price is right - don't kid yourself, if OU offers enough they'll get someone good

sooneron
3/28/2006, 07:48 PM
Majerus feels something like a howard hire.

This is going to be so much fun to watch the Kelvin bashers implode.

Jeopardude
3/28/2006, 07:55 PM
How about Terry Stotts?

No matter how unlikely the odds he'd accept, Joe C. should offer it to him. Stotts said in an interview he'd love to coach college. He's Sooner-connected and think how recruits would respond to someone who's coached Ray Allen. He could say he'd ready them for the pros. Plus he's got academic credentials.

Too bad the Bucks are playoff-bound and make this 0% odds.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
3/28/2006, 08:12 PM
http://images.usatoday.com/sports/college/_photos/2003-05-27-inside-tubbs.jpgYEAH BABY , pick up where he left off! 100 pts. per game! YEAH!:)

OUstud
3/28/2006, 08:25 PM
Majerus feels something like a howard hire.

This is going to be so much fun to watch the Kelvin bashers implode.

I was about to post that. Majerus would definately be a Smellsofbourbon. I'm with the "Pelphry! Pelphry!" guy.

birddog
3/28/2006, 08:40 PM
2 words. Kurt Rambis.

hdye
3/28/2006, 08:48 PM
We need to hire someone who can flat out recruit and play a fun style that recruits want to play. Remember we now have Huggins and Anderson along with Self Barnes, and Sutton. i think an NBA guy is a niche that could give us an advantage!

hdye
3/28/2006, 08:50 PM
Pelphry didn't win until this year and losing several players may not win for a while again!

suncoastsooner7
3/28/2006, 09:22 PM
http://sportsmed.starwave.com/media/classic/2001/reelclassics/rc_hoosier1_i.jpg

:D

ouflak
3/29/2006, 05:31 AM
We need to hire someone who can flat out recruit and play a fun style that recruits want to play. Remember we now have Huggins and Anderson along with Self Barnes, and Sutton. i think an NBA guy is a niche that could give us an advantage!

How about Avery Johnson?

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/img/10-05/1002mavs.jpg

I hear he's doing a pretty good job with the Dallas Mavericks and has an exciting offensive philosophy.

There's also Larry Brown:

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2005/basketball/nba/specials/playoffs/2005/06/23/larry.brown.ap/p1.larry.brown.getty.jpg

He did wonders at Philidelphia and he's won a championship. I mean hey, why not? It's Oklahoma right? We've got enough money to pay these guys!

Okieflyer
3/29/2006, 07:41 AM
http://sportsmed.starwave.com/media/classic/2001/reelclassics/rc_hoosier1_i.jpg

:D

No he's bad news. One time he hit one of his own players. ;)

RacerX
3/29/2006, 07:50 AM
That was one last night. I was chuckling.

oumartin
3/29/2006, 08:13 AM
Avery Johnson appears to be pigeon-toed.

TheHumanAlphabet
3/29/2006, 08:43 AM
Not to mention the impact it has on the crowd and the players who want a coach who defends their team/players/school. Show me a coach who works the refs over good and I will show you a very loyal fanbase (Knight, Sutton, Tubbs).

Ah, Tubbs stomping the floor and getting a T. Instant energy and revitalization of the players. Getting a T is an art and a strategery...

NWOSURanger
3/29/2006, 09:03 AM
Mike Montgomery will be available after the NBA season. He is a good college coach. Did well at Stanford.