PDA

View Full Version : Halzle Article - Oklahoman

william_brasky
3/28/2006, 07:20 AM
NORMAN - He took the snap, faked the handoff, and then took off running. Not exactly the play-call Joey Halzle would have picked from the playbook, but considering he ended up in the end zone, things ended up pretty well.

“I’m more of a pocket passer than a runner,” said the Oklahoma quarterback, who transferred in from Golden West (Calif.) Community College in January. “Running - that’s not going to be my first choice. But if I have to tuck it and run and get a few yards, I’ll do it. I like a challenge.”

Obviously - and he’s not just talking about his 5-yard bootleg touchdown run in Saturday’s scrimmage. The real challenge Halzle is facing is trying to unseat quarterback Rhett Bomar, the Sooners’ returning starter who is just a sophomore.

Halzle (pronounced Halls-Lee) spent one year in junior college before picking OU over Michigan. As a freshman, he threw for 2,077 yards and 13 touchdowns. This spring, the main question the 6-foot-4, 215-pounder from Huntington Beach, Calif., has been fronted with is always the same: Why go to a team with a seemingly entrenched quarterback with three years of eligibility left?

“I knew they were moving Paul Thompson to receiver and needed another quarterback,” Halzle said. “I just felt like I could come out here and compete and do my best to get on the field. If you’re not doing that out here, you’re in the wrong sport.”

True enough, but is the 20-year-old content just being a part of a perennial national title contender, or is he in Norman to be the starting quarterback?

“Obviously, Rhett is a good player. He showed that last year,” Halzle said. “But I feel confident in my skills. I feel like if I do the best that I can I can give myself a good shot to get on the field.”

In his first OU scrimmage Saturday, Halzle showed that his confidence is well founded. The sophomore completed six of eight passes - with one of the incompletions being a drop - for 83 yards and scooted for the aforementioned TD. Bomar completed 10 of 19 for 106 yards and an interception.

“He came out here and was really sharp again (today),” OU coach Bob Stoops said after Monday’s practice. “He had an excellent scrimmage. For only (five) practices, what he’s been able to comprehend and the way he’s executed, he’s done a really nice job. We’re really pleased with how he’s playing.”

The rarely-shaven Halzle is a tad unorthodox, mechanically speaking, and his slight build doesn’t remind one of a major-college quarterback. But since football is not a beauty pageant, Halzle measures up fine.

“He looks weird in some things, but when you get him to play, he looks like a football player,” OU offensive coordinator Kevin Wilson said. “Maybe it’s natural instinct. But he just seems to have a natural feel.”

The two people who see Halzle most - quarterback coach Josh Heupel and Bomar - have noticed a common strength.

“He’s a guy who, when you give him something, he has a tendency to pick up on it really quickly,” Heupel said. “It transfers from a piece of paper out to what you’re trying to accomplish on the field pretty quickly.”

Said Bomar: “If he has questions for me, I’ll help him out. But he’s a smart guy and he’s picked up the offense pretty good.”

Halzle said the biggest adjustment from junior-college football has been the speed of defenders.

“It’s still a little fast for him,” Wilson said. “He’s learning a lot and thinking a lot. But he just kind of looks like a quarterback once in a while. And he does some things you can’t coach. He has a long ways to go, but he shows some good promise.”

But enough promise to make a run at the starting spot?

“Nobody’s job is secure,” Heupel said. “I think competition is extremely important. If you want to push the guy you think is going to be the starter, you better have someone strong behind him. That’s a coach’s best friend. And Joey’s a guy who comes in here wanting to push for a starting job.”

Crimson Kid
3/28/2006, 08:15 AM
Nice read thanks.

GDC
3/28/2006, 08:35 AM
Sophomores hoping to fill famous shoes
By GUERIN EMIG World Sports Writer
3/28/2006

Linebackers Curtis Lofton and Ryan Reynolds are learning OU's system.
NORMAN -- When things are good for Oklahoma sophomore linebackers Curtis Lofton and Ryan Reynolds, the name-calling begins.

"He's 'Teddy' and I'm 'Lance' " Lofton said.

As in Teddy Lehman and Lance Mitchell, who made first- and second-team All-America as linebacking mates in 2003.

This spring, Lofton and Reynolds are side by side, starting at middle and strongside linebacker. Some day, if they're lucky, they'll remind everyone of Lehman and Mitchell on every play.

For now?

"We both have tons of work to do," Reynolds said. "I feel like we're making baby steps, getting there little by little."

That's pretty reasonable for a pair of 19-year-olds who haven't been on campus a year.

Reynolds arrived via Las Vegas' Bishop Gorman High School, where he was ESPN.com's No. 2 prep linebacker nationally. Lofton came from Kingfisher, where he was No. 9, according to Scout.com.

The 2005 season arrived, and the two did most of their head-banging on special teams while spot-playing at linebacker.

Then the season ended and things warped ahead.

The Sooners said goodbye to

senior starting strongside linebacker Clint Ingram and called off spring practice for middle linebacker Zach Latimer and his ailing shoulder.

Reynolds grew from 222 pounds to 235 and switched from the weak to the strong side. Lofton shed 10 pounds of what he called "baby fat" and replaced it with 11 pounds of muscle.

And when the Sooners reported for spring practice, the two sophomores joined senior weakside linebacker Rufus Alexander with the starters.

"I've been real pleased," said Brent Venables, OU's linebackers coach and defensive coordinator. "They're not where we need them to be yet, but for the time being, they've picked things up pretty well."

"I'm starting to understand," said Lofton, who will likely hand the starting position back to Latimer at preseason camp next August. "I'm starting to see formations. I'm starting to understand my reads. A hundred percent of the battle is lining up and seeing the formations. I've got about 90 percent of that down right now."

"Coming out of high school, you just kind of line up and play," said Reynolds, who has a real shot at holding the strongside position when the Sooners open their '06 season. "In college, there are so many rules and fits. It's a whole other game.

"Just an inch here, an inch there matters a lot. I understand that now."

So their bodies have been sculpted and their minds are being shaped. It showed during last Saturday's scrimmage, when Lofton and Reynolds both made five tackles.

Still, it's a long way from making those plays on a Saturday that counts, when there are 84,000 fans at Owen Field and you haven't been clued in on what the offense is about to do. That's when Lehman and Mitchell once made so many plays.

"There's still a lot of practice to do," Reynolds said. "Me and Curtis, we'll do our best and hopefully things will work out."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Guerin Emig 581-8355
[email protected].

GDC
3/28/2006, 08:37 AM
I like what Wilson has to say in the last segment of this report.

OU Practice Report
By JOHN E. HOOVER World Sports Writer
3/28/2006

NEWS AND NOTES

Pleasant missing: Demarrio Pleasant, expected to compete for the strongside linebacker position, is instead battling academic issues.

Pleasant did not play in OU's scrimmage last Saturday, and did not practice Monday.

"For a guy that hasn't ever been a full-time starter, getting reps and opportunities to compete are things that you need," defensive coordinator/linebackers coach Brent Venables said. "You need to make progress and show us what you can do and what you want to do."

Venables could not forecast Pleasant's availability the rest of the spring.

Feeling blue: Adrian Peterson was embarrassed to have to wear a bright blue no-contact jersey during Saturday's scrimmage.

"I'm always making fun of the quarterbacks and everything," Peterson said, "and now I've joined the gang. That's how it goes sometimes."

While the rest of the team wears red (offense) or white (defense), Peterson and quarterbacks Rhett Bomar, Joey Halzle and Hays McEachern wear the blue to remind the defense not to initiate contact or fall on anyone's legs -- what offensive coordinator Kevin Wilson called "a cheap injury."

While Peterson would rather play slam-bam football, blue jerseys are not an issue for quarterbacks.

"Blue jersey, yeah, that's nice," Bomar said. "I could do without it sometimes, but it gives my body a break. I kind of like it a little bit."

What about a petition that quarterbacks be allowed to wear them this fall?

"During the game?" Bomar said with a smile. "I wouldn't complain, I'll tell you that."

Still learning: Bob Stoops was asked Saturday if he made Peterson wear blue to help him learn how to run without inviting contact.

"No," Stoops said. "I don't have to give him a whole lot of information on how to run."

Peterson said he's making up for lost time. He missed most of his first training camp and all of last spring with a shoulder injury.

"The footwork, learning everything, pass blocking, just all the little things I see on film that I can do better at and improve as a player," Peterson said. "I think the sky's the limit, man."

Halzle report: Official stats show new quarterback Joey Halzle went 6-of-8 for 83 yards; a play-by-play recap showed he went 7-of-10 for 85. Not bad, either way, especially with three deep balls.

"He had a slow start at first (in OU's first three practices)," said receiver Malcolm Kelly. "He's got all the tools. He's just got to get the speed of it."

Bootlegger's boy: One facet of the offense that Wilson will exploit is Bomar's mobility. On Saturday, Wilson called a dozen or so pass plays that utilized play-action fakes to Peterson or Allen Patrick and sprinted Bomar outside, where he has more options.

"You've got to pick your spots when you want to move the pocket and when you don't," Wilson said. "Sometimes you need to be able to play-fake and do some things off of it. Sometimes we're trying to get the ball down the field some to back them up. The field goes this way (north-south) and the field goes this way (east-west); let's don't play in here (inside the tackles) all the time.

CobraKai
3/28/2006, 09:04 AM
I'm no football expert, but could all of the moving pockets be at all related to our struggling OL?

Harry Beanbag
3/28/2006, 09:09 AM
Halzle (pronounced Halls-Lee)...

I'm just glad I finally know how to pronounce his name. I was wrong.

The Consumate Showman
3/28/2006, 09:25 AM
GDC, I loved Wilson's statement, too. I wonder now what Chuck-Third-And-Long and K. Wilson's coaching relationship was like... It seems as though KW understands that going inside the tackles 80% of the time will not work in the long run. Maybe KW's schemes will work a little better than Chucky's.....

william_brasky
3/28/2006, 09:30 AM
it seems to me that KW wants to spread the ball around a bit more. i like that. as good as AD is, there are many other guys who can make plays too. more of a team concept as opposed to give it to the workhorse until we have to throw. i think it will serve us better this year.

The Consumate Showman
3/28/2006, 09:34 AM
We need to put a little trust in our QB this year. You know, I would have liked to see Rhett throw that deep ball to T-Money the first play of the year. I would like to see us revert back to the J White/AD (frosh) year tactics.

william_brasky
3/28/2006, 09:37 AM
we'll see more bootlegs and play action on 1st and 2nd downs if the Holiday Bowl is any indication, and I like that.

Harry Beanbag
3/28/2006, 11:08 AM
If we can find a TE that can catch the ball more than half the time and not fumble half the time he does catch it, I think this offense will be very good next year.

william_brasky
3/28/2006, 11:16 AM
Reports have been indicating that JoeJohn has been catching the ball very well this spring. Yes, he'll be a pretty big factor in the O this season. Don't be surprised if Gresham gets some PT this season as well. Just things I've been hearing.

Harry Beanbag
3/28/2006, 11:21 AM
Yeah, we've been hearing that for a few Springs now. Hopefully Wilson actually means it though.

william_brasky
3/28/2006, 11:24 AM
it's been frustrating, yes. you see all these squads effectively utilizing their TEs and you're like "hey, why don't we do that?"

shavedmarmoset
3/28/2006, 11:28 AM
I'm no football expert, but could all of the moving pockets be at all related to our struggling OL?

Yes that is a likely possibility, but I think it is more an indication of giving Rhett the opportunity to make something happen with his legs if nothing is there. The boy has mad moves for a white kid and rolling out will help utilize that speed.

And keep him upright more often (hopefully).

william_brasky
3/28/2006, 11:31 AM
The boy has mad moves for a white kid

Racist ;)

Octavian
3/28/2006, 12:44 PM
I'm just glad I finally know how to pronounce his name. I was wrong.

me too.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
3/28/2006, 12:44 PM
GDC, I loved Wilson's statement, too. I wonder now what Chuck-Third-And-Long and K. Wilson's coaching relationship was like... It seems as though KW understands that going inside the tackles 80% of the time will not work in the long run. Maybe KW's schemes will work a little better than Chucky's.....

didn't we go over the play chart thing last year? ;)

soonerboy_odanorth
3/28/2006, 12:54 PM
jkm, watchoo hearin' 'bout attrition on that o-line?

At one point you'd made a blurb that Robinson was a possible home-sick departure. Right now he's looking (from an eyeball test standpoint) pretty dedicated to OU.

Even if all the OL recruits provide is depth... How are you feeling about a starting five of Messner, Robinson, Cooper, Quinn & Braxton?

(My apologies if I'm thread-jacking a bit...)

Jason White's Third Knee
3/28/2006, 01:04 PM
me too.

Miss-pronounced "HAL-zell".

william_brasky
3/28/2006, 01:09 PM
Miss-pronounced "HAL-zell".

same here.

Like Heupel and Hybl.

It's similar to Lynn Hawlsey-Taylor like in "Every Which Way But Loose," which, by the way, is a great movie my friends.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
3/28/2006, 01:31 PM
jkm, watchoo hearin' 'bout attrition on that o-line?

At one point you'd made a blurb that Robinson was a possible home-sick departure. Right now he's looking (from an eyeball test standpoint) pretty dedicated to OU.

Even if all the OL recruits provide is depth... How are you feeling about a starting five of Messner, Robinson, Cooper, Quinn & Braxton?

(My apologies if I'm thread-jacking a bit...)

new coach.

depends on your expectations. 14-0 - not good. 9-4 good.

BASSooner
3/28/2006, 05:13 PM
i hope we either go 10-3 or 11-2 and us beating texas.

emoinwinter
3/28/2006, 09:02 PM

It could be one of many benefit from moving the pockets. Like someone said earlier, it also gives Bomar another option of using his legs.

However, I also think that it seves an even greater benefit than what has been said. It forces the defense not to stack the box. It makes them have to cover outside the tackles as well. When they do this, then it gives AD more running room. I hope that made sense.

OU-HSV
3/28/2006, 10:16 PM
Thanks for posting this WB. Nice read and man am I ever excited for the season.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
3/28/2006, 10:38 PM

or cutting the field in half for the quarterbacks

sanantoniosooner
3/28/2006, 10:43 PM
I was wrong.
spek.

Just cuz it's the first time those words have been uttered on the internet.