PDA

View Full Version : R.I.P Gunny

Sooner in Tampa
3/28/2006, 06:34 AM
:( I hate to say it, but we lost Gunny Friday night at 8pm. :( Rest in peace my friend. We will miss you.

We took him back to the Vet on Friday afternoon and the Vet was kind of dumbfounded on what was his ailment. His white blood cell count was up, and his liver enzymes where pretty high. The X-Ray didn't really show anything other than his liver was a little enlarged and his intestines where also "swollen"...we were suppose to schedule an MRI sometime this week.

The weird part was the Vet got Gunny to eat two little cans of dog food on his Friday afternoon visit, his lymph node swelling was going down, and his breathing had gotten better. We really thought that he was on the mend.

My girls were pretty upset, but they seem to have rebounded pretty well...except for yesterday afternoon, we were in Wallmart picking up a few things and my 9 year old saw some really cool dog tags for your pet...she got really excited and pointed them out to us and said "Hey, lets get one of these for Gunny"...then she remembered and said..."Sorry, I forgot". It has been a rough couple of days.

Like I said...R.I.P. my friend...you are missed.

http://img373.imageshack.us/img373/2060/rip6io.th.jpg (http://img373.imageshack.us/my.php?image=rip6io.jpg)

Okla-homey
3/28/2006, 06:40 AM
:( I hate to say it, but we lost Gunny Friday night at 8pm. :( Rest in peace my friend. We will miss you.

We took him back to the Vet on Friday afternoon and the Vet was kind of dumbfounded on what was his ailment. His white blood cell count was up, and his liver enzymes where pretty high. The X-Ray didn't really show anything other than his liver was a little enlarged and his intestines where also "swollen"...we were suppose to schedule an MRI sometime this week.

The weird part was the Vet got Gunny to eat two little cans of dog food on his Friday afternoon visit, his lymph node swelling was going down, and his breathing had gotten better. We really thought that he was on the mend.

My girls were pretty upset, but they seem to have rebounded pretty well...except for yesterday afternoon, we were in Wallmart picking up a few things and my 9 year old saw some really cool dog tags for your pet...she got really excited and pointed them out to us and said "Hey, lets get one of these for Gunny"...then she remembered and said..."Sorry, I forgot". It has been a rough couple of days.

Like I said...R.I.P. my friend...you are missed.

[url=http://img2.freeimagehosting.net/image.php?65a9a9a763.jpg] [img]http://img2.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/th.65a9a9a763.jpg

Rough. I've been there. Time for a new dog! Please, check out rescue orgs and shelters first. Those pooches on "death row" deserve a shot at earning y'alls love.

BoogercountySooner
3/28/2006, 06:41 AM
Sorry for your families loss!

3/28/2006, 06:49 AM
That's tough. Losing your dog hurts.

Like Homey said, check out your local animal shelter first. Take the girls. I'm sure they'll find a new friend and you'll be happy for it.

SoonerBorn68
3/28/2006, 06:50 AM
Sorry to hear about your loss. We lost one of our dogs last fall. :(

KABOOKIE
3/28/2006, 07:23 AM
If the Army and the Navy Ever gaze on Heaven's scenes,

They will find the streets are guarded By United States Marines.

RIP Gunny!

SOONER44EVER
3/28/2006, 07:31 AM
Sorry for your loss. Share this with your family. I sent it to my dad after he lost his dog a couple of months ago.

A Child's wisdom

... a dog's life!

Why dogs do not live as long as people...
Author Unknown
Being a veterinarian, I had been called to examine a ten-year-old Irish Wolfhound named Belker. The dog's owners, Ron, his wife Lisa, and their little boy, Shane, were all very attached to Belker and they were hoping for a miracle.

I examined Belker and found he was dying of cancer. I told the family there were no miracles left for Belker, and offered to perform the euthanasia procedure for the old dog in their home. As we made arrangements, Ron and Lisa told me they thought it would be good for the four-year-old Shane to observe the procedure. They felt as though Shane might learn something from the experience.

The next day, I felt the familiar catch in my throat as Belker's family surrounded him. Shane seemed so calm, petting the old dog for the last time, that I wondered if he understood what was going on. Within a few minutes, Belker slipped peacefully away. The little boy seemed to accept Belker's transition without any difficulty or confusion.

We sat together for a while after Belker's death, wondering aloud about the sad fact that animal lives are shorter than human lives. Shane, who had been listening quietly, piped up, "I know why." Startled, we all turned to him.

What came out of his mouth next stunned me. I'd never heard a more comforting explanation. He said, "People are born so that they can learn how to live a good life -- like loving everybody all the time and being nice, right?" The four-year-old continued, "Well, dogs already know how to do that, so they don't have to stay as long."

jk the sooner fan
3/28/2006, 07:34 AM
sorry to hear that, very tough to lose a friend and companion :(

william_brasky
3/28/2006, 07:37 AM
RIP Gunny.

Sorry for the loss Carolina.

colleyvillesooner
3/28/2006, 07:39 AM
Sorry for your loss.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
3/28/2006, 08:13 AM
Oh I am so sorry. It's difficult losing a dog.

Sooner51
3/28/2006, 08:22 AM
sorry for your loss.

Sooner in Tampa
3/28/2006, 08:22 AM
Rough. I've been there. Time for a new dog! Please, check out rescue orgs and shelters first. Those pooches on "death row" deserve a shot at earning y'alls love.Thanks for the kind words everyone.

My first thought was of a new pooch too...but my wife is pretty upset still...she as sitting with Gunny when he passed...she said he just let out a deep breath and then he was gone. She wants some time. I agreed with her, and I am really leaning towards going and getting a dog from the pound...I want to save a lost pup. We will see how long it takes.

Thanks again.

Tailwind
3/28/2006, 08:38 AM
:(

sooneron
3/28/2006, 08:39 AM
RIP, it's always tough to lose a family member.

IB4OU2
3/28/2006, 08:56 AM
Thanks for the kind words everyone.

My first thought was of a new pooch too...but my wife is pretty upset still...she as sitting with Gunny when he passed...she said he just let out a deep breath and then he was gone. She wants some time. I agreed with her, and I am really leaning towards going and getting a dog from the pound...I want to save a lost pup. We will see how long it takes.

Thanks again.

Sorry CSF, I dread the day we lose one of ours. We picked up a pup/dog headed for the shelter about 2.5 years ago and he's a Lab/sheperd mix and one of the kindest and best natured dogs wev'e ever had.

85Sooner
3/28/2006, 09:36 AM
Sorry fo ryour loss. and God Bless

picasso
3/28/2006, 09:50 AM
Sorry eh.:(

my old lady recently got 2 puppies from the shelter in Tulsa. boy Catahoula and a girl Lab mix. the girl was in bad shape a few weeks ago and the Vet said she had distemper. a risk you take going to the shelter.
anywho, the dog is much better now.:)

FaninAma
3/28/2006, 10:50 AM
Sorry for your loss. It sounds like he had a really good life with your family.

boomersooner28
3/28/2006, 12:39 PM
That sucks......sorry. :(

BlondeSoonerGirl
3/28/2006, 12:40 PM
Awww, man....

:(

Scott D
3/28/2006, 12:45 PM
condolences on the loss of Gunny.

olevetonahill
3/28/2006, 12:48 PM
Sorry for you and your family , after I lost Bear 3 plus yrs ago :( I waited about 3 months , be fo deciding to go to the pound , as luck would have it I ddint need to , Found Ole knothead at the dump , brought him home :)
I cant understand why people throw away perfectly good dogs (and cats ) :mad:

slickdawg
3/28/2006, 12:52 PM
Very sorry to hear that Gunny has gne to heaven. The loss of a pet
is very hard to deal with.

Flagstaffsooner
3/28/2006, 12:56 PM
Sorry you lost Gunny. My old buddy Scooter will welcome him in pet heaven.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
3/28/2006, 01:09 PM
Thanks for the kind words everyone.

Thanks again.My dog died in June and I'm still not ready.

BajaOklahoma
3/28/2006, 08:26 PM
I am so sorry for the loss of your Gunny. One of the worst experiences you can go through with young kids. Or any time.

bigdsooner
3/28/2006, 08:40 PM
man thats terrible, sympathy for you and the family. anytime our family loses a pet we try and get a new one asap, its made it easier on the family that way

Oldnslo
3/28/2006, 10:44 PM
I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. Losing a pet stinks.

OKC Sooner
3/28/2006, 11:11 PM
Dogs are family members, and better people than some people I know. I've very sorry for your loss :(

MamaMia
3/28/2006, 11:30 PM
:( I'm sorry your little girls are sad. Maybe this will help.

http://rainbowsbridge.com/Images/Gate_pics/POEM_Gate.jpg

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.
They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

http://www.indigo.org/rainbowbridge_ver2.html

stonecoldsoonerfan
3/29/2006, 06:23 AM
really sorry to hear that. i consider my dogs family members and not dogs. they are truly a part of the family.

#1 SOONER FAN
3/29/2006, 10:06 AM
I'm sorry for your family loss, looked like such a good dog and a loyal Sooner fan.

GrapevineSooner
3/29/2006, 11:52 AM
RIP, Gunny.

NormanPride
3/29/2006, 12:04 PM
I hope you and yours' sadness leaves soon. Sorry to hear about the loss...

Sooner in Tampa
3/29/2006, 12:06 PM
Thanks again folks.

MiccoMacey
3/29/2006, 02:19 PM
I've already told my boss that the day my dogs die (they're both eight), I will be calling in sick.

These are family members. Not humans, but family just the same.

3/29/2006, 03:27 PM
Losing my dog was much more difficult than losing other friends and family in the past. It is a difficult thing to deal with.

Eh, who am I kidding... I get misty helping my daughter flush a dead fish.