PDA

View Full Version : Chick or Egg?

ChickSoonerFan
3/27/2006, 11:34 PM
My daughter is doing a science project about why some eggs turn into chicks and some just turn into breakfast. Why do some hatch and some just stay eggs.

I asked her if she was sure she wanted to do this because I was pretty sure it had something to do with sex. She looked at me like I was crazy. But I'm not, am I?

Anyway, I spoke with a chicken farmer today and told him my daughter wanted to come visit the farm and interview him about her question. He said to me, "Well...you know..there has to be a rooster"

I KNEW IT.

Now I am trying to picture my 5th grade daughter explaining her science project findings without blushing and giggling the entire time. I do not have a good feeling about this.

Stanley1
3/27/2006, 11:41 PM
Sex?

Go on.....

IronSooner
3/27/2006, 11:43 PM
I've wondered about that. I used to think there was some sort of embryo in there, just really tiny or something. I'm guessing it's similar to menstruation somehow? Unfertilized eggs just get tossed out to make room for more?

You never know, this might be a turning point for her. She might finish this project, give her presentation, and be totally enthused about it. Hell, she could end up going to aTm and majoring in Poultry Science. :D

mrssoonerhubler
3/27/2006, 11:47 PM
LoL.....Thats good

ChickSoonerFan
3/27/2006, 11:48 PM
Sex?

Go on.....

OK...well the Rooster has to

n/m

Stanley1
3/27/2006, 11:50 PM
I took 3rd place in lementary school doing something with an egg for a science fair. I think I put the layers of the earth around it or something.

Still get crap from my family that the "egg" actually placed.

JohnnyMack
3/27/2006, 11:52 PM
I took 3rd place in lementary school doing something with an egg for a science fair. I think I put the layers of the earth around it or something.

Still get crap from my family that the "egg" actually placed.

Well that was last year, I'm sure you can finish in at least 2nd place this year.

Sooner_Bob
3/27/2006, 11:54 PM
My daughter just wants to do a science project on bacterial growth . . . of course she's in the 2nd grade.

:D

ChickSoonerFan
3/27/2006, 11:54 PM
I've wondered about that. I used to think there was some sort of embryo in there, just really tiny or something. I'm guessing it's similar to menstruation somehow? Unfertilized eggs just get tossed out to make room for more?

You never know, this might be a turning point for her. She might finish this project, give her presentation, and be totally enthused about it. Hell, she could end up going to aTm and majoring in Poultry Science. :D

I got a quick lesson. Not much different than I had thought. Yes, similar to menstruation, hens produce eggs, the ones that turn into chicks are fertilized by the rooster AND the hens have to sit on them for a few weeks or they go into an incubator in order for them to become chicks. So even some eggs that turn into just eggs are fertilized. I think.

aTm :eek:

IronSooner
3/28/2006, 12:15 AM
My daughter just wants to do a science project on bacterial growth . . . of course she's in the 2nd grade.

I do a couple each year in grad school.

In my fridge...

soonerbrat
3/28/2006, 12:28 AM

I actually helped my son with a project like that when he was in 3rd grade...but i had access to a microbiology lab. we did an experiment about stinky feet. swabbed his feet with a sterile swab and grew the bacteria in tubes and on plates. i taught him how to do a gram stain. it was pretty cool

Melo
3/28/2006, 01:15 AM
I actually helped my son with a project like that when he was in 3rd grade...but i had access to a microbiology lab. we did an experiment about stinky feet. swabbed his feet with a sterile swab and grew the bacteria in tubes and on plates. i taught him how to do a gram stain. it was pretty cool

Thats awesome! I wish my parents could have helped me with a project like that! Mine would have just asked for some instructions. :D

GottaHavePride
3/28/2006, 01:32 AM
http://www.crudder.com/projects/stinkyfeet/day1.html

this guy is truly warped, but hilarious. You should check out the "Date My Sister" project, too.

OUTromBoNado
3/28/2006, 01:49 AM
My daughter is doing a science project about why some eggs turn into chicks and some just turn into breakfast. Why do some hatch and some just stay eggs.

I asked her if she was sure she wanted to do this because I was pretty sure it had something to do with sex. She looked at me like I was crazy. But I'm not, am I?

Anyway, I spoke with a chicken farmer today and told him my daughter wanted to come visit the farm and interview him about her question. He said to me, "Well...you know..there has to be a rooster"

I KNEW IT.

Now I am trying to picture my 5th grade daughter explaining her science project findings without blushing and giggling the entire time. I do not have a good feeling about this.

Just watch out for the bird flu. That stuff does not look fun.