PDA

View Full Version : Have you seen my face (or I saw The Cult last night, a review)

sooneron
3/27/2006, 04:13 PM
Well, I saw Ian and Billy last night at the newly glorious Nokia Theater. It was general admission and the doors opened at 6. The band didn't plan to take the stage till 9! I was a little miffed, but the venue could have moved up the door time. The place was sweet. I think there were 4 bars in there. The "seating" layout was cool. There were three areas- The first level floor that was about 130 ft by 100 ft, then, a next level that was about 5 feet above the aforementioned level. This level was deemed to be the best vantage point by my buddy Ralph and I, as it was about the same level as the stage. Above the 2nd level was seating- I would guess for about 350 people. Maybe more.

Anywho, the band finally took the stage and proceeded to totally rock. They started off with Lil Devil, one of my faves off the Electric album. The set list is as follows-

Sweet Soul Sister - not a bad rendition- tho I think Ian's voice is suffering some from all the road work, be it with The Cult or The Doors.

The Witch - another good ditty

Electric Ocean - balls rawking good - my face was gone at this point

In the Clouds - One of the newer songs- it rawks, but not by my standards of the band.

Spritwalker - I keep forgetting how much I like this song. It's one of their earlier- it also seemed to be when Ian started to find his range a little better

Rain - This song will always be one of my faves- it's awesome. I had tome to look for my face during In The Clouds, but by this point someone on the level below me was standing on it, as it had been rawked off some more!

Revolution - One of their oldies, it's more mellow, but they did a great job on it.

Brother Wolf Sister Moon - More mellow rocking good with Billy stomping the wah peddle

Wonderland - Not a bad song, but not up to their best

Peace Dog - My head 'sploded at this point - Yet another fave off of Electric- Thanks Rick Rubin!

Libertine - I had never heard this song before- the riffs were a little reminiscent of Helmet. Great frigging song!

Rise- Bloody awesomeness after Billy had a little back and forth interaction with the crowd.

Wildflower - OK, how many songs have I commented as being my fave off Electric? They really fuggin rqwked on this one!

Fire Woman - Some more brilliance from Sonic Temple, good news, my face was supposedly being held for me at the front ticket window as it had been turned in with about 20 others!

The band then took a quick break for an acoustic encore of Edie- which was a nice change of pace- just Billy and Ian on the stage

They took another quick break and came out to play another wah classic-
Phoenix- Billy really showed off chops on this one!

They then broke into -

She Sells Sanctuary - The crowd prettty much went ape**** on this one and so did I.

After a moment offstage they came back and brought the house down with-

Love Removal Machine- What can I say? They kicked *** and called it a night after apologizing to the multitudes of now faceless fans!

Ian's voice did seem to improve and find it's range as the night wore on.

Billy - I don't know how to put it into words the ability this fugger has. I hate him for his fingerboard prowess. He ****ing rawks whether he has the big hollow body strapped to him or the One of his Les Pauls. He totally kicks ***. I don't know what else to say, but he's one of the best I've seen live.

Backing them up -
Jon Tempesta - Drums, this dude is awesome! I haven't heard so much nut crunching sound from such a small set in forevah!
Chris Wyse - bass, did a great job, but I admit, I was pretty much paying attention to Billy's licks/
Mike Dimkitch - rhythm guitar, also did a really good job of matching Billy's sound/ability

The smartest thing I did was pre-buy the show on cd. You pay for it before the concert and you pick up that night's performance. It's really cool. The quality is pretty good for spur of the moment mixing. I recommend it for it's only 25 bucks which is cheaper than the ****ing t- shirts!

http://www.the-cult.com/download/wp083101b.jpg

BlondeSoonerGirl
3/27/2006, 04:15 PM
\m/ ROCK!!! \m/

sooneron
3/27/2006, 04:17 PM
And, No, I didn't take that pic.

slickdawg
3/27/2006, 04:17 PM
I'm jelllus!

BigRedJed
3/27/2006, 04:19 PM
Holy crap that sounds awesome. I haven't seen the Cult since the show at the LNC like, 15 years ago. Also saw them open up for Billy Idol once outside, and saw them in Dallas in a club in '87 or '88. They TRULY rock.

sooneron
3/27/2006, 04:24 PM
Holy crap that sounds awesome. I haven't seen the Cult since the show at the LNC like, 15 years ago. Also saw them open up for Billy Idol once outside, and saw them in Dallas in a club in '87 or '88. They TRULY rock.
I was working local crew at the LNC show on the Sonic Temple tour- I think that was around 90-91. That show rocked.

BigRedJed
3/27/2006, 04:59 PM
And who was the opening act? That's right, bitches: BONHAM!!

sooneron
3/27/2006, 05:25 PM
And who was the opening act? That's right, bitches: BONHAM!!
heh! I was there----

on stage bitches!!!!

GDC
3/27/2006, 07:30 PM
One of my biggest regrets music-wise is not having seen the Cult live.

sooneron
3/27/2006, 07:31 PM
Crap, they were in Tulsa pretty recently at Cains.

The only downside IMO is that they didn't play King Contrary Man. Cuz that song rawks.