PDA

View Full Version : This, just in, from out on the old Santa Fe Trail!!

opksooner
3/27/2006, 02:29 PM
A New Frontier in Sport
Mon, Mar. 27, 2006

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/news/front/14194230.htm

800 miles, 1,000 horses: A new frontier in sport?
Plans for cross-country trail race pick up speed
By EDWARD M. EVELD
The Kansas City Star

This is either madcap dreaming or the genesis of an American sports tradition: a horseback race from the historic plaza in Santa Fe, N.M., to the historic square in Independence.

That's 800 miles, give or take, along the storied Santa Fe Trail.

Organizers are calling it The Great Santa Fe Trail Horse Race, proposed as an annual event with the first race set for September 2007. It would traverse northeastern New Mexico and the Oklahoma Panhandle, run the breadth of Kansas and end on Missouri's western edge. Each leg of the two-week race would stop at a "race village," spaced at intervals of 50 to 80 miles.

One hundred teams would vie for a $100,000 purse. Each team would field one rider and 10 horses.

[/snip]

Okla-homey
3/27/2006, 02:37 PM
Seems potentially tough on the horseflesh. I bet PETA will be along shortly.

Personally, I'd hate to see horses run into the ground. As all hillbillies know, a horse with its peanut brain will allow the rider to ride him to near death.

For that reason, I recommend they ride mules, cause a mule will stop, and look around as if to say, "no further there buckaroo. I'm blown.":D

Prolly more historically authentic too.

BudSooner
3/27/2006, 02:45 PM

Personally, I'd hate to see horses run into the ground. As all hillbillies know, a horse with its peanut brain will allow the rider to ride him to near death.

For that reason, I recommend they ride with Sutton, cause a Sutton will stop, and look around as if to say, "no further there buckaroo. I'm not drunk.":D

Prolly more historically authentic too.

Heh, fixed....sort of.:eddie:

opksooner
3/27/2006, 02:48 PM

Personally, I'd hate to see horses run into the ground....

The Great Santa Fe Trail Horse Race will be run in segments, Phillips said, and teams will use three or four horses per leg, keeping the distance per horse to under 30 miles per day. Each team will have 10 horses. Assuming 100 teams, that’s 1,000 horses.There....that orta cover that concern....kinda.

Actually, I posted this just to make a nice segue between the title of the thread and my sig.

That's all I've got.