PDA

View Full Version : Ok, so when is enough..enough for the videos of the racing accident yesterday?

BudSooner
3/27/2006, 01:21 PM
Why is it necessary to replay the accident in yesterdays IRL warmup over and over again....simply just inform us of the news, we understand it when someone dies but to see the video over and over and over and over again is a bit much.
Yes, I know its a racing thing and yes he had a choice not to race but there is a time when the media has to stop showing the wreck-especially ESPN!
All thats needed is just the story, thats all..no slow motion replays of the man dying....please.
That being said, it was also in bad taste to go ahead and run the race since they knew he had died shortly before the start.

RIP Paul Dana.

One last thing-kudos to Bobby Rahal and David Letterman's team for sitting this one out for respect to their teamate.

ChickSoonerFan
3/27/2006, 01:32 PM
Seeing it once was enough for me. I can't imagine how his family members must feel with that played over and over. :(

I didn't know that about the teams sitting out. Nice.

ultimatesooner1
3/27/2006, 01:34 PM
haven't seen it yet

C&CDean
3/27/2006, 02:07 PM
Why is it necessary to replay the accident in yesterdays IRL warmup over and over again....simply just inform us of the news, we understand it when someone dies but to see the video over and over and over and over again is a bit much.
Yes, I know its a racing thing and yes he had a choice not to race but there is a time when the media has to stop showing the wreck-especially ESPN!
All thats needed is just the story, thats all..no slow motion replays of the man dying....please.
That being said, it was also in bad taste to go ahead and run the race since they knew he had died shortly before the start.

RIP Paul Dana.

One last thing-kudos to Bobby Rahal and David Letterman's team for sitting this one out for respect to their teamate.

Of course they ran the race. It's not in bad taste. They're race car folks. That's what race car folks do.

And I didn't see the wreck. Haven't even heard about it till now. Of course it's indy cars, so nobody really cares much......

mrowl
3/27/2006, 02:08 PM
haven't seen it either.

BudSooner
3/27/2006, 02:10 PM
During the warmups for the race yesterday Ed Carpenter hit the wall and came back down towards the apron of the track, not sure if Danas spotter didn't see what happened or didn't relay it quick enough but Paul hit Carpenter at 210mph...very sad this had to happen.
One thing that stands out is that IRL seems to love traveling to high banked oval tracks where the driver never has to lift out of the throttle to slow the momentum, Texas back about 5yrs ago is a good one that comes to mind-
the cars reached speeds so high that alot of the drivers were getting out and stumbling around throwing up and complaining of being light headed due to the extreme g forces exerted there.

I've watched racing since I was old enough to walk and I realize that this is part of the sport, friends of our family have raced and either have been injured or been killed as part of it. Which makes it harder to watch than it ever has.

Correction-CART was at Texas 5yrs ago-but the speeds and type raced are the same, although there was talk of having them at Talladega and Daytona years ago...but never happened.
Which is a good thing-Dega and Daytona are too rough a track to race open wheelers on.

Sooner98
3/27/2006, 02:13 PM
I saw the replay of the wreck one time. I won't be watching it again...that's how awful it was.

OU Adonis
3/27/2006, 02:15 PM
I LOL when someone says IRL(In Real Life) when talking about an event that happened yesterday.

Oh wait a min.......

yermom
3/27/2006, 02:19 PM
now, this next footage is graphic...

i think they just like saying that

Rhino
3/27/2006, 02:23 PM
If you haven't seen it, don't see it.

C&CDean
3/27/2006, 02:59 PM
Was it worse than the wreck where Alex Zanardi lost both legs? That was probably the worst car wreck I've ever seen.

mdklatt
3/27/2006, 03:08 PM
Why is it necessary to replay the accident in yesterdays IRL warmup over and over again

Why do you think most people watch auto racing?

3/27/2006, 03:08 PM
This thread is worthless without graphic photos and video links.

BudSooner
3/27/2006, 03:13 PM
Thats just it, if you put the two side by side...they are the same wreck, same place on the track, same collision.
Only Alex was the one hit, Dana was the driver who hit the wrecked car.

BudSooner
3/27/2006, 03:20 PM
Why do you think most people watch auto racing?
Call me crazy but I don't watch it for the mayhem...whenever somebody wrecks no matter if its Jeff Gordon-Scott Kalitta-Buddy Lazier..I always hope for the best. Anyone who admits they watch it for the wrecks is one sick ****.
Elliot Sadlers flip at Dega 2yrs ago took my breath away, thankfully he climbed out....****ed, but not injured.

Octavian
3/27/2006, 03:21 PM
Of course they ran the race. It's not in bad taste. They're race car folks. That's what race car folks do.

And I didn't see the wreck. Haven't even heard about it till now. Of course it's indy cars, so nobody really cares much......

agreed.

"People say they need to make NASCAR safer....no they don't. If they did, it'd just be traffic," -Bill Maher.

Octavian
3/27/2006, 03:23 PM
In another decade TV will be so interactive they'll probably give you a choice if you wanna see graphic images of sports/war/whatever....it'll be fun

mdklatt
3/27/2006, 03:24 PM
Call me crazy but I don't watch it for the mayhem...whenever somebody wrecks no matter if its Jeff Gordon-Scott Kalitta-Buddy Lazier..I always hope for the best. Anyone who admits they watch it for the wrecks is one sick ****.

People don't want to see anybody get hurt, but we are all a bunch of rubberneckers by nature.

Beef
3/27/2006, 03:25 PM
Seeing the wreck once was one too many times for me. I think people can figure out what a nasty wreck loooks like without showing someone die.