PDA

View Full Version : OU D in '06

TJKDone
3/27/2006, 12:07 AM
The idea of starting a freshman without any experience in the RRS is a disturbing one to me. I am wondering how good you guys think your defense will be next year.

While your defense wasn't pathetic or even poor in '05, it was considerably weaker than in years past. How good will you guys be next year? Most Sooner alums I've talked to have said that your D won't be back to the Roy W days until '07.

Is this true or should the 2005 National Champions be shaking in their gold toed boots?:D

Hook'em

usmc-sooner
3/27/2006, 12:10 AM
you should be shaking in your boots because VY left even though he was only 1-2 vs Oklahoma.

Big Red Ron
3/27/2006, 12:11 AM
I think we return around 80% of our tackling and 90% of our sacks next year. We should be much better than last year.

BOOMERBRADLEY
3/27/2006, 12:21 AM
OU has set some high standards on the D side of the ball considering last years D was top 5 (I think) against the rush and maybe top 15 overall.

The 05 national chumps will most likely lose 3 games next season....and that's not just hate talking

BASSooner
3/27/2006, 12:28 AM
OUr defense will be solidified. The best thing about it will be our defensive line. Birdine is back, cj, thibs, pendleton, bennet, granger, and mccoy. We have probably the best defensive line in the big 12. OUr corners are a LOT better than last year. Linebackers are best as always. The ? is saftey but we have about a 1000 of those. We don't have to go back to the roy w days to beat texas. I would worry about my team if i were u tj because just like usmc said, you're one-man-team is gone.

P.S. Welcome to the recovery year.

You will likely lose to these teams:

OU
tOSU
aggies
o aggies which I should mention that you guys struggle badly with this team. You won't have radio to make those amazing 30 point comebacks in the 2nd half

okienole3
3/27/2006, 01:13 AM
http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/images/reputation/reputation_highneg.gif

Jello Biafra
3/27/2006, 01:37 AM
The idea of starting a freshman without any experience in the RRS is a disturbing one to me. I am wondering how good you guys think your defense will be next year.

While your defense wasn't pathetic or even poor in '05, it was considerably weaker than in years past. How good will you guys be next year? Most Sooner alums I've talked to have said that your D won't be back to the Roy W days until '07.

Is this true or should the 2005 National Champions be shaking in their gold toed boots?:D

Hook'em

tjkdork,

read this.....
http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65104&page=11

heres a lil bit of what you missed....

Originally Posted by Herr Scholz
You better hope that new OL gels soon with Washington and Oregon early. Otherwise A.D. will stand for "Always Disabled".

pssst. you little hairy butt pickle. you are afraid aren't ya? you're scared because peterson got 1200 yards in basically 8 games and averaged 5 ypc doing it. bomar threw 7 of his 10 tds last year in the last 6 games and only three of his ints in that same stretch. you're scared because 6 of our top 7 tacklers and 8 of our top 10 return this year and 5 of our top 6 sackers are back. yes. you, sir, are going to get to see the taint blisters form on sneed/mcoy as they happen in real time.don't be scared. i'll hold you after we're done

yeh......we'll be better. you'd better be shaking every year mack is on your sidelines and stoops is on ours.

Egeo
3/27/2006, 03:47 AM
the only possible question marks imo would be dt and safety
if healthy, we should be stout
if teh dt prospects step up and are decent that will be enough as our de's should be lights out with tons o depth

safety is a key, we have some experience starting there as of right now in upperclassmen williams and carter - but neither have proven themselves as a force of yet - im a little higher on carter than williams, but williams has recieve much more playing time

stonecoldsoonerfan
3/27/2006, 05:51 AM
you guys are going to learn what it's like to do without your heisman qb as OU has twice this decade. it ain't easy. you'll also learn what it's like to play a freshman qb too. it ain't easy either. and your o. coord. isn't good enough to overcome it.

you'll lose to at least OU. the only reason i would give you a benefit of a doubt against ohio state is that they lost basically their entire starting defense from last year and it's a home game. you could very easily lose 2 next year.

Desert Sapper
3/27/2006, 08:22 AM
Most Sooner alums I've talked to have said that your D won't be back to the Roy W days until '07.

That's a matter of opinion, right now. Our D was decent last year. If the DTs step up and start getting penetration on a regular basis, we could very well see a resurgence of TRRW's defenses. Part of why we were so good back then was the D-Line. OUr D was that good in 2003. We just didn't have a Roy. We may never have another Roy. I expect to see Ruuuuufus have a Butkus-caliber year. I expect to see Ryan Reynolds look like a future Butkus winner. I expect to see the secondary step up in a huge way (it will be our best since 2003 and could be better by the end of the season - which is saying a lot). I expect to see the Defensive line get constant pressure on the QB and start knocking running backs into next week. This will allow the 'Roy Back', whoever that ends up being (I'm going to guess Reggie) and the linebackers (did I mention they are going to be awesome this year) to come up and make plays. In short, be afraid....be very afraid.

Snead/McCoy will look like they went sixteen rounds with Mike Tyson after Red River. You will be lucky if you have a healthy QB left. But, hey, that's what it feels like to be in rebuild mode.

TJKDone
3/27/2006, 09:20 AM
That's a matter of opinion, right now. Our D was decent last year. If the DTs step up and start getting penetration on a regular basis, we could very well see a resurgence of TRRW's defenses. Part of why we were so good back then was the D-Line. OUr D was that good in 2003. We just didn't have a Roy. We may never have another Roy. I expect to see Ruuuuufus have a Butkus-caliber year. I expect to see Ryan Reynolds look like a future Butkus winner. I expect to see the secondary step up in a huge way (it will be our best since 2003 and could be better by the end of the season - which is saying a lot). I expect to see the Defensive line get constant pressure on the QB and start knocking running backs into next week. This will allow the 'Roy Back', whoever that ends up being (I'm going to guess Reggie) and the linebackers (did I mention they are going to be awesome this year) to come up and make plays. In short, be afraid....be very afraid.

Snead/McCoy will look like they went sixteen rounds with Mike Tyson after Red River. You will be lucky if you have a healthy QB left. But, hey, that's what it feels like to be in rebuild mode.

To me there are a lot of expectations in this response, but I'm not sure why some of them are there. This isn't a flame though I know that the questioning of the Sooners by a Longhorn is always going to be taken that way by some.

The secondary you think will move from the weakest link (IMO of course) in '05 to as good as it was in '03? Again not to flame, but I would think that the idea of moving from a unit not more than mediocre in the BIG 12 to among the best in CF in a season is seen more than a bit through crimson lenses. Tell me why the DL will be better given the losses at tackle.

I think Stoops is a great coach. That is why you did as well as you did in '05. But given the OL situation and those mentioned on the defense, I just don't think OU will be a player nationaly next year.

Hook'em

Jason White's Third Knee
3/27/2006, 09:43 AM
To me there are a lot of expectations in this response, but I'm not sure why some of them are there. This isn't a flame though I know that the questioning of the Sooners by a Longhorn is always going to be taken that way by some.

The secondary you think will move from the weakest link (IMO of course) in '05 to as good as it was in '03? Again not to flame, but I would think that the idea of moving from a unit not more than mediocre in the BIG 12 to among the best in CF in a season is seen more than a bit through crimson lenses. Tell me why the DL will be better given the losses at tackle.

I think Stoops is a great coach. That is why you did as well as you did in '05. But given the OL situation and those mentioned on the defense, I just don't think OU will be a player nationaly next year.

Hook'em

Actually the O line picked up a couple of top ranked Jucos and we now have a little experience from the line last year. THe first 5 games had a different starting O line. We'll be far more solid this year.

Bomar isn't going to fumble 5 times a game.

THe D line lost some greatness, but has gained a lot of depth. That's the reason for the optimism.

Look at the games we lost last year.
TCU- we turned the ball over a ton and had a super green Oline and QB.
UCLA- see TCU.
Texas- You won the NC. I think it's ok to lose to a NC.
TT- Uh, well.... I'm not sure that we even lost that game, but whatever.

All of those teams had outstanding years. Next year, we don't lose to teams like those. Texas and Oregon are our bigger games, unless someone from the big 12 gets nasty.

See? We're NC contenders! It's not that hard.

Desert Sapper
3/27/2006, 09:48 AM
The secondary you think will move from the weakest link (IMO of course) in '05 to as good as it was in '03?

The secondary was very young last year. Very young. I think by the end of the year they were good. They weren't great. A player improves most between his freshmen and sophomore seasons. The bottom line is that they will be the best unit we have had since 2003. They have the potential to be as good as it was in '03. A lot of growth will have to happen in the spring and summer for that to happen. The D-Line will help.

Tell me why the DL will be better given the losses at tackle.

We lost two in our two deep at tackle. That means we return two. We return the rest in our three deep, and all of them played. Demarcus Granger is a name I want you to remember. In Dallas in October, you will hear it when he TFLs your super duper running back and lays whoever your QB is on the ground. We will be much, much better at DT this year. Believe it.

That's your opinion, chief. The OL will have to gel for us to be on the national stage. The Defense will be honed in the first few games and will be out for blood by Red River. If you're not scared, you will be. You will be.

Speer
3/27/2006, 10:00 AM

Hook'em

I disagree with your assessment of OU. Now go away.

GDC
3/27/2006, 10:03 AM
Texas was 1-3 against OU with VY on campus.

Jello Biafra
3/27/2006, 10:09 AM
The secondary you think blah blah blah.... but I would think that the idea of moving from a unit not more than mediocre in the BIG 12 to among the best in CF in a season is seen more than a bit through crimson lenses. Tell me why the DL will be better given the losses at tackle.

Hook'em

hide and watch. first off, look some stats up before coming over here.
we were 4th in the nation against the run last year. 4th in the nation in sacks with two of our starters on the bench with season ending injuries. 9th in the nation in tackles for loss. 18th in the nation in 3rd down % allowed. and we were 13th overall. yeh we were a pathetic 56 against the pass but with a young secondary and playing the offenses we did this last year, i think we did ok. we lost dusty and remi and remi wasn't even in the top ten tackles list. so..... we lost two dlineman......

the offensive line was and is yound but we did better than average and theses current players got plenty of reps last year. if you guys are worried this year, wait till 07. your girls will be on their backs more than a 12 year old prostitue in bangkok on payday.

so,you tell me, with a 4 loss team from last year who basically returns the meat of the defense, and top 15 in nearly all defensive stats, what do YOU think WE should be thinking? i mean. you guys keep coming to our board and telling us what we should expect from this season. why wouldn't we be spanking your asses everytime you get on here?

RedstickSooner
3/27/2006, 11:44 AM
How well a defensive seconday rates is only partly up to the secondary -- a properly thrown pass very frequently *cannot* be defended. That is to say, the only way to prevent its reception is to commit pass interference. In a one-on-one matchup, there'll always be a spot where a QB can throw the ball where only the receiver can catch it.

The defensive secondary depends on the defensive front to get pressure, and while we got some pressure, we didn't have the frenetic "what the heck is gonna happen next" feel to our defense that we've had in the past. Even if we got sacks, we didn't get in the QBs head, didn't make him panic.

With a ton of really good DEs to rotate on the line and send after the QB, that will hopefully change this year. With so many freshman playing DB, we seemed hesitant to be as aggressive on defense -- with some experience under their belts, I hope that changes.

Aggressive defenses get torched some, but they wreak a *lot* of havoc.

Desert Sapper
3/27/2006, 11:57 AM
With a ton of really good DEs to rotate on the line and send after the QB, that will hopefully change this year. With so many freshman playing DB, we seemed hesitant to be as aggressive on defense -- with some experience under their belts, I hope that changes.

Oh yes, it'll be all you can eat steak night in Dallas after Red River. Mark it.

TJKDone
3/27/2006, 12:53 PM
How well a defensive seconday rates is only partly up to the secondary -- a properly thrown pass very frequently *cannot* be defended. That is to say, the only way to prevent its reception is to commit pass interference. In a one-on-one matchup, there'll always be a spot where a QB can throw the ball where only the receiver can catch it.

The defensive secondary depends on the defensive front to get pressure, and while we got some pressure, we didn't have the frenetic "what the heck is gonna happen next" feel to our defense that we've had in the past. Even if we got sacks, we didn't get in the QBs head, didn't make him panic.

I don't think there is any question you will be better, the question is how much. Your secondary will be improved at corner because of more experience, but you have the experience question at Safety.

My observation is that when you are depending on incoming JUCO's at the OL, you are in for chemistry problems regardless of how talented the players are.

I've seen a lot of Demarcus Granger. I won't have to remember a name that I've seen play a lot more than most OU posters. I hope for his sake that he develops into a solid DT for you guys. If you guys believe he will be a star or even significant contributor next year, IMO, you are in for a rude awakening. He will be in the mold of Thibadeaux (sp)...solid by the end of his career, but never spectacular. Don't think you are replacing Dusty D next year.

Again to me there are a lot of question marks for you guys. Stoops is a great coach so it will be interesting to see how well he finds the answers.

Hook'em

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
3/27/2006, 12:59 PM
man, i had to archive that post for posterity.

I don't think there is any question you will be better, the question is how much. Your secondary will be improved at corner because of more experience, but you have the experience question at Safety.

do you really think we would have moved reggie to corner if we thought we were going to have trouble at safety? safety is a much more important position than corner in our D.

TJKDone
3/27/2006, 01:02 PM

do you really think we would have moved reggie to corner if we thought we were going to have trouble at safety? safety is a much more important position than corner in our D.

As I understand it the answer to your question is yes.

Hook'em

shavedmarmoset
3/27/2006, 01:06 PM
Our top 4 returning DE's have 31 career sacks between them.

JohnnyMack
3/27/2006, 01:08 PM

Why do you hate CO?

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
3/27/2006, 01:10 PM
As I understand it the answer to your question is yes.

Hook'em

we don't have a defensive coach on the field that has a history of putting players at a position that makes the overall unit weaker. offensively, i can't say that.

the reason that reggie is being moved is because of the play of carter and williams, not because they are stupid.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
3/27/2006, 01:11 PM
Why do you hate CO?

they have hygiene issues

Octavian
3/27/2006, 01:12 PM
the reason that reggie is being moved is because of the play of carter and williams, not because they are stupid.

to me, thats the key.

Speer
3/27/2006, 01:31 PM

My observation is that when you are depending on incoming JUCO's at the OL, you are in for chemistry problems regardless of how talented the players are.

I've seen a lot of Demarcus Granger. I won't have to remember a name that I've seen play a lot more than most OU posters. I hope for his sake that he develops into a solid DT for you guys. If you guys believe he will be a star or even significant contributor next year, IMO, you are in for a rude awakening. He will be in the mold of Thibadeaux (sp)...solid by the end of his career, but never spectacular. Don't think you are replacing Dusty D next year.

Again to me there are a lot of question marks for you guys. Stoops is a great coach so it will be interesting to see how well he finds the answers.

Hook'em

Your observations are useless. Go away.

TJKDone
3/27/2006, 01:34 PM
we don't have a defensive coach on the field that has a history of putting players at a position that makes the overall unit weaker. offensively, i can't say that.

It could also be because the play at corner is sufficiently weak that they have to move someone they don't want to. That doesn't make them stupid, just not able field the kind of D they would if they had more talent.

Hook'em

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
3/27/2006, 01:35 PM
if that were the case, lewis baker wouldn't be going back to linebacker. you have to look at all of the pieces of the puzzle.

Octavian
3/27/2006, 01:39 PM
It could also be because the play at corner is sufficiently weak that they have to move someone they don't want to. That doesn't make them stupid, just not able field the kind of D they would if they had more talent.

Hook'em

you're reaching now...as much as you like to say you're not trying to flame...you are

you're a polite troll.

soonerinabilene
3/27/2006, 01:41 PM
in response to replacing dusty- he was the heart of the defense, and i think rufus is not going to have any problem filling that role. as far as position wise, ive got a feeling that mccoy is going to be drawing ALOT of comparisons to tommie harris, and im pretty sure he made an impact his freshman year. i know this is just an opinion, but in a few months, hopefully it will be a fact.

picasso
3/27/2006, 01:42 PM
I thought our D played pretty well towards the end of the season. oSu, Tech and Oregon games come to mind.

also, Chuck Long will no longer be calling the D in '06.

TJKDone
3/27/2006, 01:43 PM
if that were the case, lewis baker wouldn't be going back to linebacker. you have to look at all of the pieces of the puzzle.

He has never been a great player has he? His movement could just as easily be for the purpose of patching holes as the sudden emergence of one who is better.

Hook'em

TJKDone
3/27/2006, 01:47 PM
you're reaching now...as much as you like to say you're not trying to flame...you are

you're a polite troll.

Why is it "reaching" to suggest that position changes have to do with depth problems rather than strength. It happens all the time and is certainly possible. Given your attrition rates lately it would seem to me to be likely.

Hook'em

Speer
3/27/2006, 01:49 PM
He has never been a great player has he? His movement could just as easily be for the purpose of patching holes as the sudden emergence of one who is better.

Hook'em

Still useless. Go away.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
3/27/2006, 02:08 PM

Hook'em

he was solid, nothing special. however, in order for them to move him, they have to have at least 2 guys that equate to the same level of play. oh, and one other thing to note about our pass defense last year, it was mainly on our linebackers not our secondary. since our linebackers couldn't cover their heads they were forced to use more stacked safeties in the middle which left our mediocre corners on an island.

although he is everyone's favorite. i thought rufus faded big time over the course of the season, especially in pass coverage.

soonernation
3/27/2006, 02:13 PM
Can I make a request to the mods?

Can you bane any person who continues to use the term Hook'em after every post? It's really getting on my nerves. TIA.

TJKDone
3/27/2006, 02:14 PM
he was solid, nothing special. however, in order for them to move him, they have to have at least 2 guys that equate to the same level of play. oh, and one other thing to note about our pass defense last year, it was mainly on our linebackers not our secondary. since our linebackers couldn't cover their heads they were forced to use more stacked safeties in the middle which left our mediocre corners on an island.

although he is everyone's favorite. i thought rufus faded big time over the course of the season, especially in pass coverage.

News of Rufus being less than I thought brings joy to my soul:D

However, you are the first I've heard point out the LB's pass coverage skills as a weak point.

Hook'em

MojoRisen
3/27/2006, 02:23 PM
Lewis Baker is moving to Line Backer because that is his position he plays best. He will still play in the Nickle package- Nic Harris and Keenan Clayton are going to be bringing the BOOM- Jason Carter may initially get a lot of PT until those guys get up to speed- Darien Williams as well. 4 deep at saftey - with guys that will all get a lot of PT..

Corner: Reggie Smith, Brian Jackson, Marcus Walker, DJ Wolfe, Lendy Holmes and a few of the Freshman ought to be pretty stout.

I think we have the deepest secondary in the country...

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
3/27/2006, 02:25 PM
with the move from the 4-2-5 to the 4-3, the linebackers have no choice but to be in pass coverage. the only one that was even proficient at it was ingram. the other guys didn't play pass defense so much as they tackled the guy after he caught the ball. all season long, a team could pick up an easy 7-10 by just tossing it underneath the linebackers to the TE. and whoa be to us if a team figured out that a late drag by the slot receiver would leave them in an open field one on one situation with the opposite linebacker after a free pitch and catch. hey, garrett mills just caught another one. the other item that hurt us was our terrible tackling on the edge. there was a time when you threw a 2 yard out route to your WR that he was going to get stuck and planted for a 3 yard gain. last year, they turned a lot of those into 12-15 yard gains.

i think rufus will be a lot better this year, it just looked like he jimmy wilkersoned last year. they have put some more weight on him to help with the pounding and it will be his 3rd year after knee surgery so he should be fairly comfortable. hopefully having him and birdine back will help us with conditioning late in the games.

MojoRisen
3/27/2006, 02:29 PM
I think we can rotate at every position- No conditioning worries in my opinion- we should be able to go full steam and aggressive the entire game.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
3/27/2006, 02:33 PM
I think we can rotate at every position- No conditioning worries in my opinion- we should be able to go full steam and aggressive the entire game.

you should change your handle to anti-jkm ;)

BASSooner
3/27/2006, 02:35 PM
TJ, the funny thing is that you know nothing about our defense, nor our offense. You just say this stuff to benefit your entertainment which I can see as normal smack talk. You don't understand position changes and how they are effective at all and note that if players did bad 1 season does not always mean they will be horrible in their career. So what if we don't replace Dusty? Look at our DL depth? I'd rather have that than one REALLY good player on the field. In fact, our DL is going to be even better than last year. You honestly expect us to have a rude awakening? You lost vince young. I would be worried if I were you. I'm sure you have seen demarcus play, he'll get better because he's in perfect shape now. Players change over the course of years for the better. Just like AD. I can't wait to see the game in October.

P.S. Expect your fastest players to be on the defense as they fail to chase down and/or bring down AD.:D

MojoRisen
3/27/2006, 02:36 PM
I think your right about Lattimer in coverage- and he is supposed to be fast- they should be able to correct that. Ruufus- I hadn't noticed to many issues and he does lower the boom- if you catch it in front of him- Lattimer I am not so overly impressed with- but it seems like he has the starting nod no matter what.

Lofton and Jordan may be able to step up as well.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
3/27/2006, 02:47 PM
first off, latimer is a warrior (like walker and everage) in that he'll play with no arms and no legs if it means winning. however, he is a DE in a linebacker's body. so while he is incredibly comfortable sliding through traffic and knocking the snot out of a running back, he is like a fish out of water in pass coverage. he gets to where he is supposed to be, but he just doesn't have that natural feel for it that you have to have as a linebacker in college football today. now, whereas latimer had issues on the stuff over the straight middle, rufus had serious issues getting out into the flats, especially when the corner had deep 1/3s. his angles were off as he was going for the big hit instead of just getting the guy down. ingram wasn't alone as he had issues with switches on complicated routes. dj wolfe looked pretty bad on several busted coverages by ingram.

personally, i think baker playing safety last year is going to help him make a mint at the next level if he can gain any weight at all. he was okay in pass coverage for a safety, but he was great for a linebacker.

Bourbon St Sooner
3/27/2006, 04:09 PM

Who was that true Freshman that ran down TFRW in his first RRS? What was the score of the game that year?

HateTheWhorns
3/27/2006, 05:43 PM
Our defense will be better next year if for no other reason than the improvement in our offense. Less time on the field equals fewer yardage and scoring opportunities for the opponents. Our defense (and defensive statistics) improved in the 2nd half of 2005 because of experience AND the improvement in our offense. In 2003 & 2004, our defenses benefited greatly from great Sooner offenses. On at least two occasions when the offense struggled, our defense didn't fare so well (KSU & SUC).

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
3/27/2006, 05:49 PM
Our defense will be better next year if for no other reason than the improvement in our offense. Less time on the field equals fewer yardage and scoring opportunities for the opponents. Our defense (and defensive statistics) improved in the 2nd half of 2005 because of experience AND the improvement in our offense. In 2003 & 2004, our defenses benefited greatly from great Sooner offenses. On at least two occasions when the offense struggled, our defense didn't fare so well (KSU & SUC).

that's called "hiding your weak/average D behind your stellar O"

TXBOOMER
3/27/2006, 11:04 PM
OU has set some high standards on the D side of the ball considering last years D was top 5 (I think) against the rush and maybe top 15 overall.

The 05 national chumps will most likely lose 3 games next season....and that's not just hate talking

You are gonna have to get the college gameday plan if you are moving to Conn.

goingoneight
3/27/2006, 11:26 PM
Texas was 1-3 against OU with VY on campus.

You're not counting his redshirt year... :)

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
3/27/2006, 11:38 PM
he wasn't a senior this year

Vaevictis
3/27/2006, 11:49 PM
Our defense will be better next year if for no other reason than the improvement in our offense.

Wait. You just said your offense is going to be *better*. How does that work?

(Rather, I mean how does that work without drinking the kool-aid.)

RedstickSooner
3/28/2006, 01:50 PM
Why is it "reaching" to suggest that position changes have to do with depth problems rather than strength.
Moo'Cows

Actually, it typically has to do with both. Odd, I know, but usually a coach chooses to move a player from a position with great depth, to a position without. So a position change shows depth & lack of depth simultaneously.

It's when you see really weird moves, like running back to corner back, that you need to worry. But safety to corner? Not so much.

Desert Sapper
3/29/2006, 06:23 AM

Hmmmm...Rhett Bomar and the receivers will be sophomores with a year of experience, AD will hopefully be healthy most of the season, and the line could only really get better. That sounds *better*, doesn't it?

GDC
3/29/2006, 08:54 AM
I think it's unfortunate 2/3's of AD's OU career will be behind a young and mediocre offensive line. If you're going to snag the best running back in the country you might try to snag and retain a few linemen to block for him.

BASSooner
3/29/2006, 10:26 AM
Hmmmm...Rhett Bomar and the receivers will be sophomores with a year of experience, AD will hopefully be healthy most of the season, and the line could only really get better. That sounds *better*, doesn't it?
True. However, I believe we still have a QB competition in the making and Halzle is doing great. It will be interesting to see if there will be any changes in the starting position.

Desert Sapper
3/29/2006, 10:46 AM
True. However, I believe we still have a QB competition in the making and Halzle is doing great. It will be interesting to see if there will be any changes in the starting position.

Either way it will be better than last year. As long as we know who is starting before the first game. Last year just started bad.

Jello Biafra
3/29/2006, 08:04 PM

http://www.funnydesigns.com/dumbass.gif

soonercody
4/1/2006, 09:41 AM
This year is verdict-year for Venables as DC.

GDC
4/1/2006, 11:24 AM
Smith settling in at cornerback
By JOHN E. HOOVER World Sports Writer
4/1/2006

Sooner coach says the ex-free safety has the skills to succeed.
NORMAN -- Reggie Smith swears he's never played the position before.

"I only played free safety in high school," Smith said. "I just sat back there and roamed."

But now, almost halfway through his first spring football practice at the University of Oklahoma, he looks a lot like a cornerback.

"He's a very talented guy," said OU defensive backs coach and co-defensive coordinator Bobby Jack Wright. "He's got great feet, he can turn his hips, he can recover and he's physical. Ideally, you want a big, good-looking guy who can flip his hips and run. That's a lot to ask."

Smith, a high school All-American at Edmond Santa Fe, started the final 10 games for the Sooners last season at strong safety. Now he's virtually entrenched at cornerback opposite returning starter D.J. Wolfe.

"It's actually a lot easier to learn," Wright said. "It's not much moving from safety to corner if you've got the ability to play it. Corner's easy to learn.

"I mean, you go out there and line up on a wide receiver every time. Safety's got all the run fits that they've got to handle, all the formations, all the motion adjustments, the shifts, the tight end

trades, all that. Corner's just sitting out there."

Smith, a sophomore in 2006, has the skills to battle modern football's big, physical and fast wide receivers. He stands 6-foot-1 and weighs just over 200 pounds.

"You've just got to be physical with them," Smith said. "You respect what they know how to do. You've got to respect them, but you've got to at least play them hard."

Two others who would figure into the mix this spring -- if they were healthy -- are Marcus Walker and Brian Jackson. Jackson impressed coaches as a true freshman in last year's training camp, and Walker came out of redshirt to help the 2004 team to the national title game, but needed shoulder surgery last spring and had it again this spring.

That forced wide receiver Lendy Holmes to corner, which he played at South Oak Cliff High in Dallas (he had six interceptions in an injury-shortened career). Holmes (6-0, 195) has sprinter's speed.

And now that he's playing with the guys he used to practice against, he has a new respect for the position.

"It's not easier (than wide receiver). I know that," Holmes said. "But if you have the right technique, everything becomes easy to you because you know where to go.

"Some of the calls I got down on day one, but I knew there was more to it that I really had to learn."

Some figure Smith -- who had 28 interceptions and scored 37 touchdowns in high school -- to be a mix of former Sooner corners Derrick Strait and Antonio Perkins: He's smart and fundamentally sound like Strait (though not as experienced) and athletic like Perkins (though not as fast).

"Let's hope so," Wright said. "He's a big guy who can run and is smart. He can do all that.

"But Derrick Strait was a Jim Thorpe Award winner. It's hard to compare him to anybody. But hey, Reggie has that type of ability. He's got a chance to be outstanding."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

John E. Hoover 581-8384
[email protected].