PDA

View Full Version : You Hillbillies in Norman need some culture:

proud gonzo
3/26/2006, 11:02 PM
you should attend OU's production of the musical "Pal Joey". I'm playing in the pit orchestra. The music's good, and I know a couple of guys in the show (including the star) and not only do they have awesome voices, they're hilarious, so it should be a really good show.

Shows are at 8 pm March 30, 31; April 1, 7, 8; and there are two sunday 3pm shows on April 2 & 9.

Here's the story (from the Rodgers & Hammerstein Organization website):

Joey is an opportunistic cad, but he always seems to land on his feet. He elbows his way into a job at a seedy Chicago nightclub and is soon juggling the affections of a naive chorus girl and a wealthy society dame who just happens to be married. Once Joey has charmed the socialite into setting him up in his own joint, he ditches the chorine and is riding high, playing the big-time operator. When a punk threatens to spill the whole business to the socialite's husband, she decides that she's bored with Joey anyway, dumping him and the club. Having had a taste of his own medicine, you'd think Joey would head back to the sweet kid who really loves him. Wrong. Some things never change, but you know what? He's still on his feet.

proud gonzo
3/31/2006, 11:26 AM
bump! show opens tonight.

Soonerbabeinbama
3/31/2006, 11:48 AM
I wish I could be there - sounds like a great show. Okay Normanites - go support OU's fine artsy fartsy stuff!!

sooneron
3/31/2006, 11:54 AM
Did the school of trauma get a real director yet?

King Crimson
3/31/2006, 11:57 AM
"culture" is the way the man keeps you down.

proud gonzo
3/31/2006, 12:01 PM
Did the school of trauma get a real director yet?
i don't have any idea, but this is the music theater department.... whether they have a real director, as you say, or not, the production is awesome.

Rupel Jones Theater, 8 pm tonight, people. be there.

and hey, there are chicks in fairly skimpy costumes, so all you horndogs out there should be happy.

proud gonzo
3/31/2006, 12:03 PM
Break a leg, PG...or should I say, break wind? ;)

Oh, is this your excuse not to shovel the dirt?

unfortunately, it is in a way. I wouldn't be able to shovel after dark anyway, but I can't do too much shoveling during the day because I won't be able to play well if my back's sore.

SoonerBK
3/31/2006, 12:06 PM
You know art is good and all, but that giant pile of dirt ain't goona move itself. Think of the satisfaction you will get after it is moved. It will far outweigh the $50 bucks you are getting for playing in the pit.

proud gonzo
3/31/2006, 12:07 PM
HAH! I'm making $550 total for this show. the pile can just wait until I have time.

IronSooner
3/31/2006, 12:14 PM
Any chance it'll go on tour in the midwest? ;)

GottaHavePride
3/31/2006, 12:28 PM
The pile o' dirt? We'll need another truck.

sooneron
3/31/2006, 12:44 PM
i don't have any idea, but this is the music theater department.... whether they have a real director, as you say, or not, the production is awesome.

Rupel Jones Theater, 8 pm tonight, people. be there.

and hey, there are chicks in fairly skimpy costumes, so all you horndogs out there should be happy.
. Thank you captain obvious.
The school of Drama had an idiot running the place last I heard.

I wonder if Weitzenhoffer picked this production out. Stupid question.

proud gonzo
3/31/2006, 12:46 PM
. Thank you captain obvious.
The school of Drama had an idiot running the place last I heard.

I wonder if Weitzenhoffer picked this production out. Stupid question.
are you being a dick to everybody today or am I just lucky? :rolleyes:

sooneron
3/31/2006, 12:56 PM
Where was I being a dick? You announce a musical that you are playing in and then proceed to tell me that it's performed by MUSICAL THEATER dept. A department I believe is within the two schools- drama and music. Hence, I asked a question about the School of Drama director.

proud gonzo
4/1/2006, 02:32 AM
Opening night was fantastic--everybody needs to go see the show!

Czar Soonerov
4/1/2006, 02:36 AM
This thread should be in the Sooner Swap Forum.