PDA

View Full Version : First "real" job

BajaOklahoma
3/26/2006, 02:50 PM
So the older son is graduating in May. He has gone to school full-time/part-time forever it seems. At one point, he was attending a community college for an associate degree and the university part-time for a total of 25 hours that semester. We honestly think that if he hadn't wanted to play hockey for the university, he would not have continued to work on his accounting degree.
He interviewed for a job in the Mid-Cities several weeks ago. The people seemed to like him, but corporate was concerned about his lack of experience. Guess the local office won, because they offered him a job. Good salary and benefits. The son likes the people there.

Now we have to work on getting the younger son to find a "real" job. He graduates this summer (would have also been in May but the advisor messed up).

It will be a couple of years before Lil Baja graduates. :( She really wants to get her doctorate. :eek:

Vaevictis
3/26/2006, 04:11 PM
It will be a couple of years before Lil Baja graduates. :( She really wants to get her doctorate. :eek:

If you've been paying for school so far, make her get an RA/TA position. They pay well enough for a single person to live on, and pay most (if not all) tuition.

I've got an RA position right now (at OU), and it pays a little over $13k/yr plus nine hours of resident and seven hours of non-resident tuition. Total benefits work out to about $20k/yr. Plus, I can basically use the RA work for my thesis.

(There's no reason for a graduate student not to have a job, considering that 9 hours is considered a full courseload. And RA positions are very high paying for a half-time job, if you consider all of the stuff they lump into them.)

BajaOklahoma
3/26/2006, 04:54 PM
She has to have ninety hours to get into Physical Therapy, then it is two years at the HSC. And they are full days of class and practicum.
She wants to be a TA in Anatomy next Fall - if her grades stay up. So far, she a 97 in the class.....
She has gotten some scholarship money along the way. And cost of living is much cheaper up there.....