jk the sooner fan
3/26/2006, 01:35 PM
for those of you who buy it at the store to MAKE AT HOME

what brand do you buy?

JohnnyMack
3/26/2006, 01:37 PM
Cain's usually.

Or Folger's Gourmet Supreme.

I tire of wasting dollars on overpriced coffee.

GottaHavePride
3/26/2006, 01:39 PM
http://www.peets.com/shop/shop.asp?rdir=1&

I'm more of a tea person, but Peet's has a good selection from solid everyday coffees to rare, expensive-as-hell coffee for the coffee snobs. ;) Quality has never been an issue with them.

Tailwind
3/26/2006, 01:44 PM
Yuban or Folgers

soonercody
3/26/2006, 01:45 PM
Usually Folgers or Maxwell House. I enjoy the gourmet bin beans though too.

Tailwind
3/26/2006, 01:47 PM
I do like to buy flavored beans to try occasionally, when th budget allows.

BoogercountySooner
3/26/2006, 02:17 PM
Gevalia

sanantoniosooner
3/26/2006, 02:18 PM
coffee is for addicts and fruity folk.

Okla-homey
3/26/2006, 02:24 PM
Starbucks ground at the grocery store.

We also keep around some canned Cafe DuMonde' for its chicory goodness.

http://img377.imageshack.us/img377/957/zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzipod.jpg

MamaMia
3/26/2006, 02:31 PM
Thunder is the true coffee connoisseur. He sent us some coffee that was out of this world good.

I drink Akins breakfast blend. Its not too pricey and the best around here that I have found. I grind my own beans and use distilled water. It makes all the difference in the world.

I came across this site last Christmas and have been meaning to order a couple of lbs. They dont even roast the beans until you place your order.

http://freshorganiccoffee.com/customroasting.html#anchor88235

King Crimson
3/26/2006, 02:32 PM
Cafe Dumond is a good bet. i have LaVazza which is an Italian espresso. i'm not into flavors....and caramel and all that whipped cream Starbucks jive. i don't drink that much coffee...after years of pounding espressos at work in Italian kitchens. Illy is the new "hip" Italian espresso, FWIW. Caffeine and me parted ways a couple years back.

i usually make the espresso on the stovetop and then boil some water to dilute it....a bit. i like the taste of coffee, though.

tidalmouse
3/26/2006, 02:32 PM
Juan Valdez was anti-semite.Jeffery heard about it at the Parks Department.

Helloooo....Uncle Leo.

sanantoniosooner
3/26/2006, 02:40 PM
Have you ever seen what Jaun's burrow did on those coffee beans?

Beano's Fourth Chin
3/26/2006, 03:03 PM
We buy our beans at Sam's. It's something like 40 oz. of beans in a gold bag for about 12 bucks. It's the best balance of taste/price that we've run across for people that drink as much coffee as we do around here.

We grind our beans every morning and it really makes a difference in my opinion. We use filtered water from out of the fridge and I think it tastes better than the cups of coffee at Starbuck's.

The best bulk beans I've ever found were at Costco, but they don't have one of those here. I'd buy a Costco membership just for the beans.

But if you want specialty stuff, well, we just permabanned the guy in the know.

However, I'd probably stay away from the specialty bag your own beans at the grocery store. The shelf life of beans isn't that long and sometimes you see some of those starting to go rancid.

Howzit
3/26/2006, 03:13 PM

Can't we just call this an absconding?

mrowl
3/26/2006, 03:14 PM
http://us.st11.yimg.com/store1.yimg.com/I/grounds_1887_490787

OKC-SLC
3/26/2006, 03:19 PM
Seattle's Best, Henry's Blend.

Oh, sweet sweet nectar.

crimsonrose
3/26/2006, 03:24 PM
I never make it at home, but I use to have to make it at the office I use to work at and we always bought Folgers....

OKC Sooner
3/26/2006, 03:30 PM
Cains for regular coffee, Dark French Roast beans from Wallyworld for cappucino.

The most expensive coffee in the world is Kope Luwak (http://www.google.com/search?q=most+expensive+coffee&start=0&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official), but I'd have a problem drinking something that's passed thru the digestive tract of a civet.

Beano's Fourth Chin
3/26/2006, 03:34 PM
Can't we just call this an absconding?

Proscription to be sure.

SoonerWood
3/26/2006, 03:35 PM
I always like suggesting Peet's to people who haven't tried it. I've been ordering my coffee from www.peets.com (http://www.peets.com) for about 6 years now. You might give it a try. It's better to order it than buy from the store though, they can get it shipped out to you the day after they roast it.

Beano's Fourth Chin
3/26/2006, 03:39 PM
There are places online that you can buy raw beans in bulk and roast it yourself.

Lots of sites will give you recipes on how to do that. Most say that you can roast the beans in a hot-air popcorn popper with excellent results.

Soonerchaz
3/26/2006, 03:43 PM
My wife bought me a burr grinder for my birthday...and our coffee drinking has really changed. Double Shot in Tulsa (they roast their own) has some incredible beans...just be prepared to pay. The Costa Rica La Minita is incredible...but also $17.95 a pound (and that's the $2 off Tuesday price).

Hey...I suck down the Folgers with the best of 'em at work...but I like the good stuff on occasion.

RacerX
3/26/2006, 03:49 PM
Millstone beans at Sam's, usually the Bed and Breakfast blend.
or
Millstone beans at some other store where the variety is better, but more $.
or
Seattles best at Target.

and a $20-$30 Krups grinder.

jk the sooner fan
3/26/2006, 03:58 PM
We buy our beans at Sam's. It's something like 40 oz. of beans in a gold bag for about 12 bucks. It's the best balance of taste/price that we've run across for people that drink as much coffee as we do around here.

We grind our beans every morning and it really makes a difference in my opinion. We use filtered water from out of the fridge and I think it tastes better than the cups of coffee at Starbuck's.

The best bulk beans I've ever found were at Costco, but they don't have one of those here. I'd buy a Costco membership just for the beans.

However, I'd probably stay away from the specialty bag your own beans at the grocery store. The shelf life of beans isn't that long and sometimes you see some of those starting to go rancid.

thanks, i wondered if anybody had an opinion on the sams brand, it fared very high on a taste test done by 20/20 (or one of those shows)

SoonerWood
3/26/2006, 04:16 PM
There are places online that you can buy raw beans in bulk and roast it yourself.

Lots of sites will give you recipes on how to do that. Most say that you can roast the beans in a hot-air popcorn popper with excellent results.

Sweet Maria's (http://www.sweetmarias.com/) is supposed to be a great resource for that stuff.

Homemade roasters are expensive unless, like you mentioned, you use the popcorn popper method. The only downside is that all the poppers I've seen used as roasters needed quite a bit of modification to work correctly.

There's also one that is supposed to get great results by using the bottom half of a 'Stir Crazy' popcorn popper and the lid of a pressure cooker. AFAIK, This 'Frankenstein' roaster only needs one modification to replace a piece of plastic with a piece of metal so it wont' melt during roasting.

Also, make sure to do this outside or in the garage at least because some roasters can smoke out the house. :D

GottaHavePride
3/26/2006, 06:00 PM
I always like suggesting Peet's to people who haven't tried it. I've been ordering my coffee from www.peets.com (http://www.peets.com) for about 6 years now. You might give it a try. It's better to order it than buy from the store though, they can get it shipped out to you the day after they roast it.

Spek! That's why I linked to Peet's in post #3. ;)

AlbqSooner
3/26/2006, 06:38 PM
A few years back my brother built a roaster and made a bit of mad money selling to local restaurants and hotels. Got to be too much work and he stopped the commercial effort. However, the roaster is still here and I have found that buying unroasted beans in bulk and roasting at home makes a coffee that will have you scoffing at Folgers and the like.

KC//CRIMSON
3/27/2006, 01:50 AM
One of the best cups of coffee you will ever have: http://www.bestcoffeebymail.com/douwe.html

SoonerWood
3/27/2006, 09:38 AM
...coffee that will have you scoffing at Folgers and the like.

Won't pretty much any coffee other than folgers have you doing that? :D

C&CDean
3/27/2006, 09:54 AM
I drink whatever coffee momma buys. And makes. I never learned how to use one of those new-fangled coffee makers, wouldn't have a clue as to how much coffee you're supposed to put in, etc. I do know that I like my coffee like I like my women. Hot, and all over my lap......

IB4OU2
3/27/2006, 10:01 AM
Farmer Bros........I sneak bags of it from work along with coffee filters to help out on the weekly household beverage and toilet paper consumption costs.

Mjcpr
3/27/2006, 10:03 AM
Per capita, I think the SO has more beer and coffee snobs than any other message board.

BeetDigger
3/27/2006, 10:06 AM

That's what I buy. The Costco on the east side of Plano has a roaster. They roast and bag on the spot. It used to be 2# for $6.99 but it is now 2.5# for $8.99. Bastages went up .10 a lb.

I've bought bags that were still warm. French roast goodness, ground at home and used to make espresso. My espresso maker retails for more than you can buy a washer/dryer combo for.

JohnnyMack
3/27/2006, 10:21 AM
I drink whatever coffee momma buys. And makes. I never learned how to use one of those new-fangled coffee makers, wouldn't have a clue as to how much coffee you're supposed to put in, etc. I do know that I like my coffee like I like my women. Hot, and all over my lap......

You're the Kelly Pickler of the SO.

Mjcpr
3/27/2006, 10:24 AM
You're the Kelly Pickler of the SO.

Dean wears revealing prom dresses too?!

C&CDean
3/27/2006, 10:30 AM
Could this Kelly Picklet person rip your pecker off by simply flexing her butt cheeks?

JohnnyMack
3/27/2006, 10:33 AM
Could this Kelly Picklet person rip your pecker off by simply flexing her butt cheeks?

I'd let her try. :O

BeetDigger
3/27/2006, 10:34 AM

I am sure that there are many volunteers on here who would like to find out. :D

And how you know that you can do this is rather disturbing. :eek:

C&CDean
3/27/2006, 11:35 AM
And how you know that you can do this is rather disturbing. :eek:

Merely an assumption. In reality, I could simply think of ripping your dick off and it would happen.

BeetDigger
3/27/2006, 11:50 AM
Merely an assumption. In reality, I could simply think of ripping your dick off and it would happen.

It goes without saying. :texan:

Partial Qualifier
3/27/2006, 11:52 AM
Yuban and the occaisional Luzianne's.

BudSooner
3/27/2006, 11:59 AM
Folgers or Maxwell house. Although this morning I went over to QT and purchase a bag of their own brand...eh, not too bad.
I just would not buy it everytime though.

TUSooner
3/27/2006, 12:08 PM
http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/2118/productmhfrenchroast6aq.jpg
One of the reasons I get up in the morning.

For chicory kicks, I'll drink a cup or 2 of this at the office:
http://img119.imageshack.us/img119/1344/communitywithchicory1fg.jpg

SoonerWood
3/27/2006, 12:33 PM
I'm glad a lot of people like crappy coffee.

Keeps the prices of the good stuff down.

BudSooner
3/27/2006, 01:26 PM
I'm glad a lot of people like crappy coffee

Keeps the prices of the good stuff down.

Why do you hate Piggly Wiggly coffee?:D

slickdawg
3/27/2006, 01:29 PM
I don't drink coffee. Never have, never will. I drink a coke every morning.
How much do I like coke? I have a fountain coke machine at the house.

Slickwife drinks the hell out of Maxwell House French Roast. Slickbaby likes
it too.

King Crimson
3/27/2006, 01:33 PM
best coffee i ever had was in Costa Rica. bought some beans but they didn't taste nearly as good back home. also, this little, fairly inexpensive, unassuming pension on the coast in Spain (about 22$ a night). small kettle of black black coffee, some mixed hard and soft cheeses, real 100% cream european butter, hard rolls and a couple croissants. great breakfast overlooking the Mediterranean. like 3 bucks.