PDA

View Full Version : Strange Wedding or Reception Customs

BajaOklahoma
3/26/2006, 07:51 AM
We attended a wedding and reception last night that was a bit different.
The bride's father AND mother walked the bride down the aisle. Usually when the mother walks the bride down the aisle, it's because the father isn't living. Even stranger as it is widely known that the bride's family hates the groom and refused to pay for the wedding. And the father fumbled his lines.
With 4 bridesmaids, I was surprised to see they omitted the flowergirl and ringbearer.

At the reception, during the first dance by the bride and groom, their family threw coins onto the floor. The children were sent onto the floor to collect the coins - during the dance. New to me - never even heard about it.

And they did the pay-a-dollar-to-dance-with-the-bride-or-groom dance. For awhile, the line to dance with the groom was longer. The groom had mentioned they were going to do this as a friend of his made around 600 by doing this. I know this couple didn't make 60.

Jimminy Crimson
3/26/2006, 10:51 PM
I like the both parents walking down the aisle thing. I believe that is originally a Jewish custom.

proud gonzo
3/26/2006, 11:07 PM
well, if you don't have a niece/nephew/dog to be flower girl/ring bearer why would you have them?

My cousin asked me to be flower girl at her wedding when i was 3 or 4.... I said no because i was really shy and didn't want everybody looking at me.

BajaOklahoma
3/26/2006, 11:15 PM
They have family, just not living nearby. there were a bunch of kids from their families there. Maybe it was a too many to pick from without hurting somebody's feelings. Flower girls are in most wedding's down here.

proud gonzo
3/26/2006, 11:18 PM
that might have been it.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
3/26/2006, 11:25 PM
A friend of mine was married at 1st Baptist Church of Pryor several years ago. No, it wasn't Bri, but he knows her. Anyway, they walked down separate aisles at the same time along with their parents. Followed by siblings. I thought that was neat, but the rest of the service was very odd.

They had no attendants (pretty cool as well), but they had a group of people come lay hands on them during the ceremony. I know a lot of denominations do this during services, but I'm pretty sure it was the first and the last time anyone spoke in tongues at 1st Baptist Pryor.

It was also the longest wedding ceremony I have ever attended, lasting around an hour and a half.

usmc-sooner
3/26/2006, 11:38 PM
there are tribes in Africa where all the men in the tribe have sex with the bride on the wedding night to ensure fertility.

I found that odd.

GottaHavePride
3/26/2006, 11:44 PM
Good thing Mel Gibson, er, I mean William Wallace wasn't from Africa.

proud gonzo
3/26/2006, 11:48 PM
hehehe

usmc-sooner
3/26/2006, 11:52 PM
I'm available for weddings, barmitzfus(sp) and family re-unions

Jimminy Crimson
3/27/2006, 12:25 AM
there are tribes in Africa where all the men in the tribe have sex with the bride on the wedding night to ensure fertility.

I found that odd.

Hmm, 9 months after a gang bang with the tribe, I wouldn't be too shocked if a baby squirted out of the tribal *** dumpster. :mack:

Chuck Bao
3/27/2006, 10:50 AM
In Thailand, women often won't change their legal name for a while after the marriage. This just makes sense. Why rush into anything? Marry by custom and then hope it "sticks" before going legal.

Before the law changed about 5-6 years ago, Thai women who officially married foreigners lost their right to own property. That's why many Thai women did the religious marriage stuff and then forgot to register it and kept their maiden name.

BeetDigger
3/27/2006, 11:37 AM
I went to a Greek Orthodox wedding a few months back. They had to say everything in the ceremony three times. It was all chanted. Also, they had the wedding "dance" during the ceremony where the bride and groom had to walk around the alter three times (that damn three thing again). It was quite feat in that wedding dress, I assure you. Also, the priest waved around this incence burner the whole time. It was really smoky in that church.

The wedding was an hour and fifteen minutes long. Then they met everyone coming out of the church, which took 15 minutes and another 15 minutes before they came out of the church so we could shower them with rice.

They then went back in for pictures while we went next door for the reception. It took them an hour for pictures. Along with all kinds of other things they had to upon entering the reception hall (taking a big shot of plum brandy called schleebavitz was one thing) which took another 20 minutes or so. We finally started eating at 10 pm. We were all blitzed and starving. Told the baby sitter we would be home by 10:30. Heh. That didn't happen. Wife had to drive home at midnight because I was too drunk to drive.

mrowl
3/27/2006, 11:45 AM
people thanked us for not having the big wedding stuff... it was a lot more fun to go to Hawaii and get hitched, then the party when we got back was awesome.

Weddings are a whip now days.

proud gonzo
3/27/2006, 06:10 PM
seriously, I don't understand why you'd make people sit through a long damn wedding. keep it short and sweet and throw a hell of a party for your reception.

sooneron
3/27/2006, 06:50 PM
I thought that it was going to rain during our interfaith ceremony... it didn't and we were done with the ceremony inside of 23 minutes!

http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/692/faythchrisouflag6nf.jpg

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
3/27/2006, 06:54 PM
One of my best friends is getting married in Cozumel in June. I'm actually looking forward to it.

royalfan5
3/27/2006, 07:15 PM
My step-brother has the right idea in imo, He is getting married in front of immediate family, minus me because I am in another wedding that day, at a scenic national monument. Then having a reception in our hometown with all the BBQ you can eat and as much beer as you can drink the following week.

royalfan5
3/27/2006, 07:16 PM
Also up here it is strange when someone decides they need to get married on a football Saturday. All that does is upset your guests.

Jimminy Crimson
3/27/2006, 07:26 PM
Also up here it is strange when someone decides they need to get married on a football Saturday. All that does is upset your guests.

What guests? :texan:

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
3/27/2006, 07:57 PM
The only way I'm getting hitched on game day is if I do it at Owen Field.

proud gonzo
3/27/2006, 08:43 PM
no joke. it's a bad omen! A friend of GHP and I got married on a gameday last fall and he's already divorced. The football gods did not approve.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
3/27/2006, 09:10 PM
I have a friend who got married on an away game day, Iowa State I think. She called when she was planning the wedding and said "There was an opening the 2nd weekend in October but I knew you wouldn't come on OU-Texas." I said "let me put it this way, NO ONE will be there if you get married OU-Texas weekend."

BajaOklahoma
3/27/2006, 09:17 PM
My husband's college roommate got married the week after we got married.
An afternoon wedding in LA in August is not a good idea.
It was a mix of Catholic and Baptist (bride was Catholic and the groom's uncle was a Baptist preacher). During the ceremony, the groom's brother keeled over after kneeling for 20 minutes (hangover didn't help). The guests on the groom's side of the church all jumped up to see if he was okay. The bride was p!ssed.
The marriage lasted less than a year.