PDA

View Full Version : Texas is by far the biggest beneficiary...

Soonerus
3/26/2006, 12:31 AM
...of the formation of the new Big XII Conference. OU was already good in both football and basketball pre-Big XII...Texas was for years a below average basketball school (I think OU beat them 11 or 12 straights times) and the never finished even in the Top 10 in football let alone competed seriously for the MNC. The increased competition has brought the best out of Texas and will provide a challenge for the rest of the Big XII in the future...unless they make some dumb head coaching hires like they did for so many years....Texas is not necessarily raising the bar for OU but becoming a real challenge...we'll see how OU responds over the next 5 years or so... it should be interesting...

Readyfor8
3/26/2006, 03:39 AM
That success seen by those further south (anyone further south than Oklahoma) has nothing to do with the Formation of the BigXII and everything to do with both the parity in college sports today in all sports, and the influx of quality coaches aquired in every given sport.

Case in point do you think that the people from the Austin Area would have benifited from being in a weaker conference last year? Do you think we would have benifited from being in a weaker conference in 2003 or 2004? Do you think the Sooners would have benifited from having a weaker SOS in 2003 and 2004 and would still have made the National Championship Games?

Further more look at how the BigXII has screwed the Austinites out of Championship years like the year they lost to Colorado in the BigXII Champ game. If they weren't in the BigXII would they have had that loss to Texas Tech a few years back? I don't think so, the SWC surely wouldn't have lasted that long and there would not be a conference that would have taken Tech and the Austinites.

As for Basketball how many BigXII titles have they won over the past 8 years? Not 1 I can think of... even this year they finished behind Kansas. Would they have had any competition in the SWC if it still existed or would they have finished the same in the SEC or whatever conference that would have taken them, probably not.

Those further south than us have had the same difficulties we have had, and we have both benifited the same in my opinion. Look at this level headedly and you will see that we are still the dominant program in this conference, one year doesnt change that. Has texas improved? Yes but they had a good program in all sports before the BigXII came to be, and although Rick Barnes may not have gone to a school with lesser competition may be argued by some, there is no way that we would know that.

Frozen Sooner
3/26/2006, 04:16 AM
Texas did not finish behind Kansas. They tied in the league standings and Texas beat KU head to head.

Snrfn4ever08
3/26/2006, 01:01 PM
ku beat texas when it counted...the championship game. 'nuff said

JohnnyMack
3/26/2006, 01:09 PM
Fan-nip.

snp
3/26/2006, 02:03 PM
That success seen by those further south (anyone further south than Oklahoma) has nothing to do with the Formation of the BigXII and everything to do with both the parity in college sports today in all sports, and the influx of quality coaches aquired in every given sport.

Exactly. They weren't good with Macovich and whoever, they became good when Brown and Barnes took over.

BillyBall
3/26/2006, 02:08 PM
Exactly. They weren't good with Macovich and whoever, they became good when Brown and Barnes took over.

True, "whoever" sucked

Readyfor8
3/26/2006, 06:41 PM
Texas did not finish behind Kansas. They tied in the league standings and Texas beat KU head to head.

According to the BigXII Site Kansas is the Conference Champ, ESPN.com shows that Kansas has one more in conference win than that Texas.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/standings

http://www.big12sports.com/championships/big12-championships.html

RooseveltRoughRider
3/27/2006, 08:55 AM
Well...I don't kow who benefited more or whatever.
But as an athletic program Texas has won more Conference Championships than anyone else in the Big XII, and more football games than any other school.

Desert Sapper
3/27/2006, 09:26 AM
But as an athletic program Texas has won more Conference Championships than anyone else in the Big XII,

Are you counting all the swimming/diving championships? Because we really don't.

homerxsimpson
3/27/2006, 10:41 AM
According to the BigXII Site Kansas is the Conference Champ, ESPN.com shows that Kansas has one more in conference win than that Texas.

Well, technically, Kansas won the post season tourney, while Kansas and TU shared the regular season championship.

Kansas, Texas Share Regular Season Big 12 Men's Basketball Title (http://www.big12sports.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/030506aab.html)

I'm thinking Baylor might be the biggest beneficiary of being a member of the BigXII. Look at all the shared $$$'s they've been racking in from all of the post season games that both OU and Texas have played in through the years. 10 years of women's bball championships ain't gonna total up to a single BCS football game.

LSUdeek
3/27/2006, 11:13 AM
Well, technically, Kansas won the post season tourney, while Kansas and TU shared the regular season championship.

Kansas, Texas Share Regular Season Big 12 Men's Basketball Title (http://www.big12sports.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/030506aab.html)

I'm thinking Baylor might be the biggest beneficiary of being a member of the BigXII. Look at all the shared $$$'s they've been racking in from all of the post season games that both OU and Texas have played in through the years. 10 years of women's bball championships ain't gonna total up to a single BCS football game.

true. the bottom feeders are who benefits the most from being in a conference with teams like oklahoma and texas.

Desert Sapper
3/27/2006, 12:06 PM
true. the bottom feeders are who benefits the most from being in a conference with teams like oklahoma and texas.

Sort of like Kentucky, Ole Miss, Mississippi State, Arkansas, South Carolina, and Vandy in the SEC?

tbl
3/27/2006, 12:42 PM
Kentucky isn't a bottom feeder when it comes to Basketball.

LSUdeek
3/27/2006, 12:47 PM
Sort of like Kentucky, Ole Miss, Mississippi State, Arkansas, South Carolina, and Vandy in the SEC?

Yep. In football of course (Spurrier went 7-4 this year, so that will change at USC) but State, Vandy, and Kentucky are traditionally better in basketball.

This was not intended to smack the Big XII conference in the least.

RooseveltRoughRider
3/27/2006, 01:45 PM
Are you counting all the swimming/diving championships? Because we really don't.
Oh..well I wasnt aware of that. Well since swimming and diving does not count...

UT has won the BIG XII in...

Football (2)
Mens B-Ball (2)
Baseball (3)
Mens Golf (3)
Mens Track (4)
Mens Tennis (3)
Womens Hoops (1)
Womens Golf (3)
Womens Track (7)
Soccer (1)
Softball (4)
Womens Tennis (7)
Volleyball (1)

So 41 Conference Champs in 10 years, without counting Swimmng and Diving. Not to bad for a school that "sucks".
Add that to the Football NC, the two Baseball NC's, and 6 Track & Field NC's and I'd say you have a pretty good program.

As far as football goes....OU has 1 more conference championship and the same amount of NC's in the last 10 years...and UT has won more Big XII Games than OU...so to make it like OU is great and Texas sucks is quite absurd. Both teams have good athletic programs.

Taxman71
3/27/2006, 02:30 PM
The biggest beneficiary was Donnie Duncan. He ran our program into the ground, then created a high-paying cush job for himself. He ousted the King and brought in the drunk and winds up with a better job for it all?

Readyfor8
3/27/2006, 05:38 PM
Oh..well I wasnt aware of that. Well since swimming and diving does not count...

UT has won the BIG XII in...

Football (2)
Mens B-Ball (2)
Baseball (3)
Mens Golf (3)
Mens Track (4)
Mens Tennis (3)
Womens Hoops (1)
Womens Golf (3)
Womens Track (7)
Soccer (1)
Softball (4)
Womens Tennis (7)
Volleyball (1)

So 41 Conference Champs in 10 years, without counting Swimmng and Diving. Not to bad for a school that "sucks".
Add that to the Football NC, the two Baseball NC's, and 6 Track & Field NC's and I'd say you have a pretty good program.

As far as football goes....OU has 1 more conference championship and the same amount of NC's in the last 10 years...and UT has won more Big XII Games than OU...so to make it like OU is great and Texas sucks is quite absurd. Both teams have good athletic programs.

Seeing as you are such a powerhouse in Womens Tennis and Womens Track perhaps you should bend over so that we may all kiss your ***.

Or instead you stick to the topic originally posted and tell us how the BigXII has added to those accomplishments, or better yet, get the hell off of the Sooner Football Message board, and go home and continue in your cumulative circle jerk over your most recent Men's Track "championship".

Or even better I invite the poster above to please bite me. Tuesday only 7 hours and 18 minutes away.

RooseveltRoughRider
3/28/2006, 08:38 AM
You sound so bitter...take it easy dude..lol..you sound so ****y...is it that serious??

footballfanatic
3/28/2006, 09:16 AM
It's been a bitter year for Sooner fans. They seem to be down in a lot of sports, but they have a good program, and they'll rebound.

David Earl
3/28/2006, 09:55 AM
No Horn talk today so you boys posting on this thread today clamp your pastry portals.