PDA

View Full Version : Peterson bringing the "wood"...

Soonerus
3/25/2006, 07:59 PM
...check this out just in case you thought A.D. might be mellowing...about half way down the story...

http://newsok.com/article/1796770/?template=sports/ou

olevetonahill
3/25/2006, 08:43 PM
spek ! thanks for the post

OU-HSV
3/25/2006, 08:45 PM
Cut and paste?

olevetonahill
3/25/2006, 08:51 PM
Cut and paste?
I tried but Im to pc illiterate :confused:

Chi Gamma Blackness
3/25/2006, 08:53 PM
Scrimmage time: Oklahoma will hold its first scrimmage of spring practice today. The Sooners will begin practice at 11 a.m., and the scrimmage is scheduled to begin around noon inside Gaylord Family-Memorial Stadium.

The scrimmage is open to the public. Gates 1 and 10 (both on the west side)will be open starting at 10 a.m.

The scrimmage will be just the second practice in pads.

“We’re looking to get around 60 plays,” OU coach Bob Stoops said Friday. “We’ll keep it pretty basic for the most part.”

Peterson brings the wood: Although it was just the third practice of spring drills and the first day in pads, OU running back Adrian Peterson was hardly taking it easy. He had several pad-popping collisions. But none was more noticeable than the head-to-head blasting Peterson delivered to safety Darien Williams. For his part, Williams stood Peterson up, but he got his head snapped back so fiercely it’s a wonder he didn’t get whiplash.

“I’ve been telling them, that’s just what I do,” Peterson said. “Sometimes they may get a little upset, but I’m like, ‘You already know that’s how I run the ball.’ They’re all pretty much used to it by now.”

Stoops is used to it by now, too.

“I keep telling him, ‘Why don’t you try and avoid somebody?’ ” Stoops said.

“He’s always muscling up on someone.”

Caution first: Stoops said Peterson won’t be used in a manner that could possibly cause injury in today’s scrimmage - or throughout the spring.

“As long as everybody’s up high and we’re not taking anyone to the ground, you feel comfortable that you’re not risk´ ing anything foolishly, and we’re not,” he said. “But we’re going to be smart. Like (today), if he does get anything in the scrimmage, he’s going to be tagged. We did that with Quentin Griffin . Some positions are more susceptible, and you have to watch it. So we’ll watch how we work with him, too.”

Baker back at ’backer: Lewis Baker , who came to OU as an undersized linebacker before being switched last season to strong safety, has moved back to linebacker. Last season, the junior started four games and was the No. 1 nickel back when the Sooners used five defensive backs.

Part of the reason for the move to the secondary was because of Baker’s weight (203 pounds). However, with plenty of depth at safety, Baker went back to the position he knows best. He’s backing up Rufus Alexander at weakside linebacker and still plays in the nickel back slot.

“Part of the reason to move him last year was because he knew the defense as much as anything and could help get people in the right position,” defensive coordinator Brent Venables said. “It was sort of a buffer year.”

From one line to the other: Friday, redshirt freshman BrianSimmons moved from the defensive line to the offensive line. The 6-foot-5,290-pounder drew quick praise.

“This is his first day, and I thought he looked awesome,” Stoops said. “Just on the run, trying to teach him where he’s going, what to do - he looks like a natural in there.”

BOOMERBRADLEY
3/25/2006, 08:56 PM
n/m

GottaHavePride
3/26/2006, 12:01 AM
Another DL to OL convert - those seem to work ok for us. And Baker back to LB. Does that bode well for the secondary?

Paperclip
3/26/2006, 12:05 AM
Another DL to OL convert - those seem to work ok for us. And Baker back to LB. Does that bode well for the secondary?

It just mean's Baylor's QB will have to find someone else to torch.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
3/26/2006, 12:11 AM

i believe we are 3/4 in that regard...

Soonerus
3/26/2006, 12:39 AM
Of all the college players I have ever seen I think I would hate to take a hit from Peterson more so than any, he delivers a more violent blow on a regular basis than anybody I have ever seen...

Texas Golfer
3/26/2006, 10:19 AM
I would prefer he save that "wood" for opponents. If AD goes down, the Sooners go down.

frou
3/26/2006, 12:38 PM
“I’ve been telling them, that’s just what I do,” Peterson said. “Sometimes they may get a little upset, but I’m like, ‘You already know that’s how I run the ball.’ They’re all pretty much used to it by now.”

In my best Montgomery Burns voice:

Excellent!

Rogue
3/26/2006, 01:23 PM
Of all the college players I have ever seen I think I would hate to take a hit from Peterson more so than any, he delivers a more violent blow on a regular basis than anybody I have ever seen...

He does explode at the point of impact, but if I had to take a hit I'd rather it be from him than TRRW.

Jello Biafra
3/26/2006, 01:44 PM

i'm personally glad to see him brinin it this early. it seems that in august he wasn't really running like himself. he was either trying too hard or just wasn't making good choices. I think he may have been trying to put the team on his back and carrying them when it needed to be the TEAM fighting through the rookie jitters of bomar. peterson seems to be at his best when he gets to the point of attack and THEN makes his first choice because the lineman and the receivers can make choices based on where peterson should be at that point.

not many people will agree with this but, when he tries to pick his hole, more times than not, he jacks up the play, because of his speed. the lineman and WRS can't get in front of their block and peterson ends up putting out more effort than is needed. IMO he is the biggest threat in college football when he gets the hole, makes a cut to avoid the first tackler then lowers his head and buries a dback.

I think stoops and company will have the attidute passed on to the troops that we should be burrying people early and often. when you get up on someone big, step on their throats.

Crimson Kid
3/26/2006, 06:37 PM
I would prefer he save that "wood" for opponents. If AD goes down, the Sooners go down.

Same here.

Desert Sapper
3/27/2006, 08:48 AM
He does explode at the point of impact, but if I had to take a hit I'd rather it be from him than TRRW.

Seconded. I can still hear pads pop from when Roy was on the field. Come to think of it, he's burying guys in the NFL. They had to make a special rule just so he would stop hurting people like TO. Not sure how that will work now that they are on the same team. Maybe TO will have to wear a red nickel to avoid the eventual smackdown. Course, TRRW may just act like a raging bull when he sees the red. Rant complete. Carry on.

tbl
3/27/2006, 12:58 PM
“He’s always muscling up on someone.”

Great!

picasso
3/27/2006, 01:47 PM
you ever play or practice football?