PDA

View Full Version : Missouri to hire UAB's Mike Anderson

soonermark
3/25/2006, 07:54 PM
link (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2384172)

Newbomb Turk
3/25/2006, 08:35 PM
they may have finally done something right.

AllAboutThe'O'
3/25/2006, 08:46 PM
Something tells me Nebraska A.D. Steve Pederson might be kicking himself now after he retained Barry Collier. Same with the Colorado A.D. keeping Patton.
But hey, what do I know? Collier swept our butts this season and Patton also owned us.

Sooner04
3/25/2006, 11:00 PM
The North just became a meat grinder within a week. First Huggy and now Anderson.;

Stanley1
3/25/2006, 11:21 PM
While I think Anderson is a definate upgrade over Snyder, I'm not sure he or his style will be as effective in the Big 12 as many seem to think.

Guess we'll find out.

Collier11
3/25/2006, 11:35 PM
Nolan Richardsons style worked in the Sec didnt it? Anderson was a assistant under Nolan and the Sec plays a similiar style as the big 12, ALL I know is this BIG 12 is gonna be super competitive now

royalfan5
3/25/2006, 11:39 PM
Something tells me Nebraska A.D. Steve Pederson might be kicking himself now after he retained Barry Collier. Same with the Colorado A.D. keeping Patton.
But hey, what do I know? Collier swept our butts this season and Patton also owned us.
Pederson doesn't care about the Nebraska basketball progam, and that's because the Nebraska people don't care about the basketball program. Pederson is just going to go what ever route is cheapest with basketball.

Stanley1
3/25/2006, 11:45 PM
Nolan Richardsons style worked in the Sec didnt it? Anderson was a assistant under Nolan and the Sec plays a similiar style as the big 12, ALL I know is this BIG 12 is gonna be super competitive now

How long ago was that, like a decade?

There is a reason no sucessful teams in power conferences currently run that style of play. I honestly don't think you can be a top tier program doing it, too many other teams have the athletes to beat the traps, and slow the game down.

Collier11
3/25/2006, 11:50 PM
Basketball is still basketball man, Look at UCLA, Memphis, LSU, etc. They all run similiar styles of pressure Defense with athletes everywhere and they are pretty successful

Stanley1
3/25/2006, 11:59 PM
Basketball is still basketball man, Look at UCLA, Memphis, LSU, etc. They all run similiar styles of pressure Defense with athletes everywhere and they are pretty successful

UCLA and LSU don't run anywhere near the same system. They don't press nearly all game, if at all. They don't run on offense, both are actually half-court teams. I'll give you Memphis, but their conference is pretty weak.

I just don't think it flies in the Big 12.

Collier11
3/26/2006, 12:01 AM
Well like I said, basketball is still basketball, if this guy is as good of a coach as he is made out to be, Mizzou will be GOOD

Stanley1
3/26/2006, 12:06 AM
Well like I said, basketball is still basketball, if this guy is as good of a coach as he is made out to be, Mizzou will be GOOD

Guess we'll see. How long you give him to be "good"?

OUstud
3/26/2006, 12:20 AM
Knockout hire, folks. You think we struggled with the Big XII North in years past with Quin, Collier, and the Fighting Neckbraces, wait until these new guys get going up north.

RacerX
3/26/2006, 12:34 AM
Guess we'll see. How long you give him to be "good"?
12 years.:D

Stanley1
3/26/2006, 12:39 AM
12 years.:D

Hey now, Kelvin made a Final 4 in his 8th. :)

Collier11
3/26/2006, 01:49 AM
He needs to have Mizzou back in the Tourney in 2 years atleast and competing for a big 12 title within 3 or 4 if he is a "good" coach like most think, Mizzou loves their basketball team and they wont deal with 5th and 6th place finishes every year

Collier11
3/26/2006, 01:53 AM
as far as what do I think, if gardner comes back with horton and brown, they could possibly make the tourney next year. The team plays decent D already with quinn there, so they would conceivably only get better, but id say two years probably. Horton is not a great half court point guard, he doesnt shoot good enough but if they got him in the open court to make plays it could make a big difference

soonermark
3/26/2006, 11:01 AM
What a joke this is turning out to be. So one day after finally hiring a coach, Mizzou's AD Mike Alden could be fired. If he is, what happens to Anderson?

The Link (http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/stories.nsf/mizzou/story/D16BA8716F747C378625713D0024691B?OpenDocument)

Collier11
3/26/2006, 11:24 AM
ummm, he is the coach

soonermark
3/26/2006, 11:43 AM
ummm, he is the coach

What if the new AD wants his own guy?

birddog
3/26/2006, 11:48 AM
well, the article does say they will honor his contract. the real question is whether anderson wants to join and AD that can't seem to pull their heads out, even after 8 years.

Sooner04
3/26/2006, 05:17 PM
Stan:

If Anderson can get the athletes he needs out of the Missouri metro areas and out of Chicago, he's going to be big, BIG trouble.

MojoRisen
3/26/2006, 05:20 PM
Count on him being able to recruit- he has a great style- kids really do care about that...

BillyBall
3/26/2006, 05:27 PM
I agree with Stan that "40 minutes of Hell" is dead. Derivations can still be run though......

TheHumanAlphabet
3/26/2006, 08:19 PM
Wasn't Anderson an assistant coach here at OU?

MojoRisen
3/26/2006, 08:39 PM
Mike Anderson- will have Mizzou playing very very well- anybody who believes he can't recruit and can't coach and make adjustments has their heads in the sand.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
3/27/2006, 10:21 AM
Institutionally MU is still a train wreck so Anderson will have a hole to climb out of and fill in so the program doesn't fall in it again.

Anderson was about MU's 5th or 6th choice. Stewert and Sunvold were both pushing for Huggins. Alden is very likely gone in the near future and while I don't think Anderson will leave it could make for a shaky start when a new AD is brought in.

As for on the court. It probably was the best hire that MU could have for one reason alone, discipline. Time well tell how well the style will work but it is the only style that has much chance in the short run. They had close to zero inside game last year and would have probably less next year with Young gone. IF Gardner does come back, AND decides to embrace the new system they will have 2 players in him and Marshall Brown that can score. The rest of the returning players on the roster are really borderline DI talent. Lyons is better athlete than b-ball player so it might help him. Horton, the PG is a human turnover though so that is a challenge. MU's incoming class is pretty mediocre so unless Anderson has a couple good recruits follow him from UAB then I think next year is going to be a huge struggle. Winning 15 games will be a chore. 2-3 years down the road when he gets some of his players they could be better.

As for the "40 minutes of hell". He had pretty good success with it at UAB, especially last year when they knocked off Kentucky. I do think overall it might be easier to win with that style at UAB in conf USA than it will be a MU in the Big 12. The style worked well at Arkansas when they had Todd Day, Oliver Miller, etc much asd BillyBall worked at OU with Mookie, Tisdale, Grant, etc. To me, it is like in football with the run and shoot, the west coast offense or whatever. If MU can start bringin in superior talent, they will win. If not the 40-minutes of hell sytle will mean MU giving up 10-12 layups a game.

LSUdeek
3/27/2006, 10:54 AM
Institutionally MU is still a train wreck so Anderson will have a hole to climb out of and fill in so the program doesn't fall in it again.

Anderson was about MU's 5th or 6th choice. Stewert and Sunvold were both pushing for Huggins. Alden is very likely gone in the near future and while I don't think Anderson will leave it could make for a shaky start when a new AD is brought in.

As for on the court. It probably was the best hire that MU could have for one reason alone, discipline. Time well tell how well the style will work but it is the only style that has much chance in the short run. They had close to zero inside game last year and would have probably less next year with Young gone. IF Gardner does come back, AND decides to embrace the new system they will have 2 players in him and Marshall Brown that can score. The rest of the returning players on the roster are really borderline DI talent. Lyons is better athlete than b-ball player so it might help him. Horton, the PG is a human turnover though so that is a challenge. MU's incoming class is pretty mediocre so unless Anderson has a couple good recruits follow him from UAB then I think next year is going to be a huge struggle. Winning 15 games will be a chore. 2-3 years down the road when he gets some of his players they could be better.

As for the "40 minutes of hell". He had pretty good success with it at UAB, especially last year when they knocked off Kentucky. I do think overall it might be easier to win with that style at UAB in conf USA than it will be a MU in the Big 12. The style worked well at Arkansas when they had Todd Day, Oliver Miller, etc much asd BillyBall worked at OU with Mookie, Tisdale, Grant, etc. To me, it is like in football with the run and shoot, the west coast offense or whatever. If MU can start bringin in superior talent, they will win. If not the 40-minutes of hell sytle will mean MU giving up 10-12 layups a game.

They beat memphis at home this year to get into the tourney.

What I have learned from this year's tourney is that, like football, defense wins championships. I've never seen so many teams shoot around 30%....

You are right. If Anderson can even build a team with athletes on UAB's level such as Donell and Ronell Taylor, Squeaky Anderson, and Demario Eddins he will have success in the Big XII. With the Mcdermott, Huggins, and now Anderson hires your conference has just gotten much tougher.

GDC
3/27/2006, 11:34 AM
The rest of the Big 12 is screwed.

Grimey
3/27/2006, 11:53 AM
Stan:

If Anderson can get the athletes he needs out of the Missouri metro areas and out of Chicago, he's going to be big, BIG trouble.

Anderson was my guy if Kelvin was leaving. Good hire by Mizzou

Rock Hard Corn Frog
3/27/2006, 11:56 AM
MU will improve, especially in 2-3 years but Huggins at KSU will likely have a bigger impact. I do think the net result is that the Big 12 looks to be a much stronger conference overall in the next several years. I don't think that Anderson is the next John Wooden though and I don't feel the inclination to go hide under my desk. He was arguably MU's 5th or 6th choice.

I'm still much more concerned with what the NCAA has to say about us.

LSUdeek
3/27/2006, 12:11 PM
MU will improve, especially in 2-3 years but Huggins at KSU will likely have a bigger impact. I do think the net result is that the Big 12 looks to be a much stronger conference overall in the next several years. I don't think that Anderson is the next John Wooden though and I don't feel the inclination to go hide under my desk. He was arguably MU's 5th or 6th choice.

I'm still much more concerned with what the NCAA has to say about us.

he's a good coach who will bring tough defense. i don't understand the sarcasm of gdc in this thread.

oumartin
3/27/2006, 12:11 PM
I like the hire. I think he will be a good coach for him.
different sport but Caroll was like the 5th choice for USC and he turned out okay.
I believe the full court press is still effective. I think the basic basketball skillz such as dribbling, passing, etc have all been sacrificed for big bodies who can just dunk the basketball or play within 10ft of the goal or those who cannot shoot the ball unless they are standing beyond the 3 point arc. I think theres a place for the Mike Andersons and the programs like George Mason who absolutely made North Carolina look stupid for 10 minutes with that full court pressure and non-stop trapping.

King Crimson
3/27/2006, 12:17 PM
when Billy Tubbs brought his up and down style to the Big 8, the 8 was essentially a lesser version of Big 10 halfcourt slow-down ball. CHuckie Barnett led the conference in scoring with roughly 16 points a game.

by the middling 80's the style of play in the conference had changed completely. Tubbs' Sooners and Norm's MU teams were playing games in the 90's. Jeff Grayer was averaging 25+ for Johnny Orr and ISU.

I'm not sure who on the current MU roster is ready to play that way...you never know.

Collier11
3/27/2006, 12:29 PM
. Winning 15 games will be a chore. 2-3 years down the road when he gets some of his players they could be better.

I disagree, mizzou won 12 games last year and could have easliy won about 7 more with a good coach, Im not saying they will win the big 12 or anything, but I wouldnt be shocked if mizzou won 17-20 games and made the NIT OR possibly the TOURNEY.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
3/27/2006, 03:41 PM
I disagree, mizzou won 12 games last year and could have easliy won about 7 more with a good coach, Im not saying they will win the big 12 or anything, but I wouldnt be shocked if mizzou won 17-20 games and made the NIT OR possibly the TOURNEY.

It might be tough to believe but unless Gardner comes back (which is likely) and buys into the system (much less likely) MU at the moment looks to have even less talent next year than they did this year. Anderson needs to bring in at least 2 and maybe as many as 4 people to contribute next year. Matt Lawrence and Glen Dandridge are basically just spot-up shooters (both pretty good at that) and are not guys that are going to turn up the defense full court nor are they going to be forces inside. Jimmy McKinney probably would have thrived in the new system but he is gone. Young wasn't the most skilled big guy ever but he was a lot better than Grimes. MU has Gardner?, Horton, Brown, Grimes, Lyons,Lawrence, Dandridge and ? # of recruits. A juco or two might be needed and Brown is the only player other than Gardner that I could see getting many points.

Winning 15 games next year will be tougher than 15 last year unless several newcomers are ready right away.

Now 2-3 years down the road could be a different story. I do think they could have a good one if fans are patient. I do not think that this hire necessarily propels MU past KSU with Huggins or KU in the North and ISU has a good coach in McDermitt as well so I think it just makes the conference stronger as a whole.

GDC
3/27/2006, 03:43 PM
he's a good coach who will bring tough defense. i don't understand the sarcasm of gdc in this thread.

That's probably because I wasn't being sarcastic.:)

skycat
3/27/2006, 06:28 PM
The thing about Missouri, is that they have about as incompetent a school administration as possible. It's amazing how bad it is.

Anderson might be able to overcome it, but it's a definite hurdle to him having sustained success there.

Collier11
3/27/2006, 06:36 PM
Im telling you guys, if alden makes one more wrong turn at all, he is gone! And They wont bring someone in who wont support Anderson if he is doing well, they just built a new arena that needs to be filled and Anderson can do that

skycat
3/27/2006, 06:39 PM
I don't think Alden is the root of the problem. He's just a symptom. There's a reason besides money that Joe C. left his alma mater for OU.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
3/28/2006, 10:13 AM
I don't think Alden is the root of the problem. He's just a symptom. There's a reason besides money that Joe C. left his alma mater for OU.

Precisely. MU has problems with the board of curators, the school president and his wife ("dem crackers is shaking"), several boosters (especially Laurie) and Mike Alden. There is an internal power struggle that really doesn't have much to do with basketball itself but it is affected. I don't know that there will be a logical resolution to the problems. Alden will be fired, next week, next month or next fall but his days are numbered. I don't think that will solve all Mizzou's problems but it will probably appease enough of the fans and boosters that the other problems will slip belowe the surface until the next problem comes along (Pinkel?)

MU absolutely could bring in another AD that wouldn't support Anderson. Not everyone there has the same agenda and I'd go as far to say that some probably wouldn't mind seeing a new coach fail. Anderson certainly can overcome it though.

On the court MU should become a dangerous team. UAB was an odd team, they beat Kentucky when they were a #1 seed, they beat Memphis this year yet they lost to UTEP by 28 points. I do think Anderson's style is one that will make other teams adjust and their will be more high scoring games than in recent years.

AllAboutThe'O'
3/28/2006, 03:39 PM
Joe C. is a Maryland alum.

skycat
3/28/2006, 04:11 PM
Joe C. is a Maryland alum.

Really? My bad. Someone on Tiger board mentioned he was a Mizzou alum and I ran with it.

Maybe he just said "MU". eh.

AllAboutThe'O'
3/28/2006, 04:20 PM
Really? My bad. Someone on Tiger board mentioned he was a Mizzou alum and I ran with it.

Maybe he just said "MU". eh.
Fear The Turtle.
http://www.feartheturtle.umd.edu/