PDA

View Full Version : the fading rivalry with nebraska...

PDXsooner
3/25/2006, 02:53 AM
is anyone else genuinely disturbed about our great late-season rivalry with nebraska being a fading (or faded) sunset?

this was such a great rivalry, with the thanksgiving feel, the respect, everything on the line, etc. etc.

now all of the rivalry talk has shifted to texas. there was a point where nebraska was bigger than texas, or at least the same. i know everything changes, but I DON'T LIKE IT!

Salt City Sooner
3/25/2006, 03:06 AM
It bugs me as well, but in a different way. The thing that bothers me the most about it lately is that the respect that you mentioned has largely been replaced with hatred, ala' OU/UT. OU/NU used to be a game along the lines of "let's lace 'em up, beat the crap outta each other playing some good old fashioned, hard-nosed clean football, see who's best, & go have a cold one after we're done." Nowadays, it's a WHOLE lot less cordial to say the least, both on & off the field (Schnellahan is largely responsible for this polarization, IMO), & that stinks in my books.

Flagstaffsooner
3/25/2006, 04:38 AM
I wish the Big XII would use the 12th game to reinstate the great rivalries.

F'n Hillbillies.

soonerinabilene
3/25/2006, 08:39 AM
i think that when the bag of ****** "coaching" their team is gone, you will see the respect come back.

Desert Sapper
3/25/2006, 09:24 AM
i think that when the bag of ****** "coaching" their team is gone, you will see the respect come back.

F'in Hillbilly!!!

http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/msnbc/Components/Photos/040904/040904_callahan_vsml_8p.widec.jpg

royalfan5
3/25/2006, 10:20 AM
From my end, I quite caring alot about the OU game when the Big XII formed and the games was moved up, and since those first two games weren't competitive, that didn't help. Also as Nebraska slipped under Solich, and K-State and CU started beating us regularly, the period OU game became more of an afterthought. I don't think the NU/OU rivalry will ever come back unless both programs play every year and are at the top of their game. The raw hatred to sustain it isn't there otherwise. Of course this post only represents my opinion.

XingTheRubicon
3/25/2006, 12:54 PM
The formation of the Big 12 saved Texas and destroyed Nebbish.

Just like those cornshuckers feared...

Think of it in these terms:

The overall state of Nebraska sports in 1995. (pretty damn good)
The state of NU in 2006. (a red and white missouri)

The overall state of Texas sports in 1995. (pretty much a cavalcade of suck, sans a few minor/estrogen sports)
The state of UT in 2006. (should be down on their knees thanking OU and Nebbish for teaching them a "national" mindset that the old Big 8 employed instead of the "be the best in Texas" mindset that allowed them 2 AP titles in football and basketball in 100 years.

goingoneight
3/25/2006, 01:12 PM
Wouldn't it be cool to play Oregon, Texass, Oklahoma State, South Aggie, and Nebbish all in the same year? And then go on to play traditional powerhouse Notre Dame for a BCS championship? That would make for just as good of a season as the 2000 year was. Overcoming a defending National Champion, surviving extremely tough road games, and playing a team who historically has beaten us, but won't see AD coming in 2007?

(falls out of chair), UUUUGGGHHH! I'm awake, now... So how about we play for the BIG 12 Title (hope that it's Nebbish in the North), and beat whoever shows up in the MNC?

royalfan5
3/25/2006, 03:09 PM

The overall state of Texas sports in 1995. (pretty much a cavalcade of suck, sans a few minor/estrogen sports)
The state of UT in 2006. (should be down on their knees thanking OU and Nebbish for teaching them a "national" mindset that the old Big 8 employed instead of the "be the best in Texas" mindset that allowed them 2 AP titles in football and basketball in 100 years.
I will disagree with on the state of Nebraska sports in 2006 and 1995. Yes, the football team has slipped, but men's basketball was an NIT program in 1995 and they are NIT program in 2006. Nebraska baseball was still in the dark ages in 1995. Outside of that everything else we do is roughly the same as it was 10 years ago.

Rogue
3/26/2006, 01:32 PM
I agree with Salt City on this. It was a good old fashioned rivalry before. When the Big XII was formed and we all learned that it wouldn't be an every-year game I was amazed and in some denial. I actually kept thinking that we'd come around to our senses and schedule NU every year anyhow.

What of the old rumors that it was the then OU A.D. Donnie Duncan that didn't want to schedule NU every year?

Salt City Sooner
3/26/2006, 02:09 PM
Would whoever anonomously negged me for my post care to share exactly why?

royalfan5
3/26/2006, 02:32 PM
I agree with Salt City on this. It was a good old fashioned rivalry before. When the Big XII was formed and we all learned that it wouldn't be an every-year game I was amazed and in some denial. I actually kept thinking that we'd come around to our senses and schedule NU every year anyhow.

What of the old rumors that it was the then OU A.D. Donnie Duncan that didn't want to schedule NU every year?
I really think there would have been a better effort to keep the yearly game if both programs were at a relatively equal level at the formation of the Big XII and in the ensuing first 3 years or so. But NU was at historical highs and OU at a historical low at the time, and I think the timing of that hurt the desire to continue the yearly rivalry from both sides.

stonecoldsoonerfan
3/26/2006, 02:45 PM
Would whoever anonomously negged me for my post care to share exactly why?

i don't like you either. :P ;)

olevetonahill
3/26/2006, 08:19 PM
F'in Hillbilly!!!

http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/msnbc/Components/Photos/040904/040904_callahan_vsml_8p.widec.jpg
That be me hes yelling at ! im gettin My popgun :)

MojoRisen
3/26/2006, 08:24 PM
I firmly believe that Nebraska is going to be the Champion in the north- for the next 10 years. I believe our rivarly will likely find itself playing for a championship- and if we play during the year- it will be a rematch watched by all in the country... Mark my words- Texas is going to be texas- and Nebraska willl be Nebaraska and Oklahoma will have the Key to both!

Big Red Ron
3/26/2006, 10:27 PM
I used to care. Now, not so much.

westcoast_sooner
3/26/2006, 11:28 PM
From my end, I quite caring alot about the OU game when the Big XII formed and the games was moved up, and since those first two games weren't competitive, that didn't help. Also as Nebraska slipped under Solich, and K-State and CU started beating us regularly, the period OU game became more of an afterthought. I don't think the NU/OU rivalry will ever come back unless both programs play every year and are at the top of their game. The raw hatred to sustain it isn't there otherwise. Of course this post only represents my opinion.

I think you meant that you quit caring about OU/NU when the Big XII was formed and that you guys wouldn't be playing us every Thanksgiving day.

In any case, NU (and the Big XII North) lost out big-time. KSU has had a coaching change, and no one else has he tradition. But, IMO, if Callaslash doesn't turn it around this year and win the North, then he's gone.

Go Sooners. I enjoyed the OU/NU games of the days of yore, but loved it more when we beat the crap out of them....

royalfan5
3/26/2006, 11:54 PM
I think you meant that you quit caring about OU/NU when the Big XII was formed and that you guys wouldn't be playing us every Thanksgiving day.

In any case, NU (and the Big XII North) lost out big-time. KSU has had a coaching change, and no one else has he tradition. But, IMO, if Callaslash doesn't turn it around this year and win the North, then he's gone.

Go Sooners. I enjoyed the OU/NU games of the days of yore, but loved it more when we beat the crap out of them....
NU will have a pretty good chance to win the North next year as a lot of the teams are in transition, and ISU always seems to find away to choke it away if there in position. Nebraska gets most of their defense back that was injury riddled and the will be better depth, and offensively NU improved as the year went on, and if a couple of tackles and an I-back step up, there is no reason for NU not to win the North next year.

AllAboutThe'O'
3/27/2006, 02:22 AM
It's not so much the fact that we don't play Nebraska every year as the fact that, in 10 years of Big XII conference championship games, OU and Nebraska have yet to meet in the title contest. That might be the most surprising statistic of all.

oumartin
3/27/2006, 08:10 AM
the big 12 formation was the end all of anything holy!

OUDoc
3/27/2006, 09:38 AM
I used to care. Now, not so much.
Ditto.

PDXsooner
3/27/2006, 11:28 AM
every time i begin not caring, i see an old highlight of one of the epic battles and i miss it...

tbl
3/27/2006, 12:55 PM
It's not so much the fact that we don't play Nebraska every year as the fact that, in 10 years of Big XII conference championship games, OU and Nebraska have yet to meet in the title contest. That might be the most surprising statistic of all.

I hadn't realized that. Very interesting...

Once Callahan is gone, the respect should be back.

soonerboy_odanorth
3/27/2006, 01:05 PM
I will disagree with on the state of Nebraska sports in 2006 and 1995. Yes, the football team has slipped, but men's basketball was an NIT program in 1995 and they are NIT program in 2006. Nebraska baseball was still in the dark ages in 1995. Outside of that everything else we do is roughly the same as it was 10 years ago.

So you're saying everything but football was the stink in 1995, and now in 2006 nothing has changed except that the football team doth sucketh, too?

Fine by me. I despise the arrogance that is "Husker Power"... The longer you guys keep eating crow with Callenberger at the helm, the better, IMO. Your program needed to get knocked down a couple notches. The fan base overall was pretty darn insufferable for a while. (With some reason I suppose- three NC's in 4 years will do that.) A little humility is good for the NU soul, and really the first step in re-establishing a healthy, respectful rivalry. So God bless you, but I hope you get dismantled by the Trojans and your season just spirals down and out-of-control from there. And I'd love to see Billy-boy get mangled in a sideline collision. That would make me smile.

But having said that, I would like to see the Big XII implement scheduling the way the SEC does it... Every year you play all the teams in your division plus one permanent cross-divisional rival, with the rest rotated.

My proposal for permanent cross-divisional:

Oklahoma-Nebraska
Texas-Colorado
Texas A&M - K-State
Texas Tech - Iowa State
Oklahoma State - Mizzou
Baylor - Kansas

SoonerStormchaser
3/27/2006, 01:13 PM
So long as Callenberger is up there...I don't want em every year. Once he leaves, bring em on!

SoonerStats
3/27/2006, 01:21 PM

Don't forget about the bowling team :) ...

http://www.soonerstats.com/images/temp/nubowl.png

No, this isn't a fark. It's on their home page right now. I didn't even know bowling was a competitive sport in college. :eek:

SoonerStormchaser
3/27/2006, 01:23 PM
Wow...nothing sexier than a bowling outfit!

How can I pick me up that hawtie?

RooseveltRoughRider
3/27/2006, 01:50 PM

Are you freakin' retarded? Texas has won a National Championship on SOMETHING, every year for the last 26 years

http://www.texassports.com/index.php?s=&change_well_id=2&url_article_id=101

PDXsooner
3/27/2006, 02:14 PM
soonerboy -- i like the cross-rivalry idea. i can't believe they didn't do that in the first place. with the implementation of the 12-game schedule it would have been easy to do, instead of making everyone schedule another patsy non-conference game.

the pac-10 went back to playing everyone (they used to skip one team per-year)

Taxman71
3/27/2006, 02:28 PM
The only way the OU-Neb rivalry ever resembles the past is by playing every year, which is only fair if the Big 12 goes to an 11 conference game season (with one nonconference tuneup game for the 12th). Otherwise, it is dead, dead, dead. Besides, the reason it was a rivalry was the games were tight and the teams were both top 10, absent 2000 and 2001, it had been a long time.

AllAboutThe'O'
3/27/2006, 02:57 PM
I would like to see the Big XII implement scheduling the way the SEC does it... Every year you play all the teams in your division plus one permanent cross-divisional rival, with the rest rotated.

My proposal for permanent cross-divisional:

Oklahoma-Nebraska
Texas-Colorado
Texas A&M - K-State
Texas Tech - Iowa State
Oklahoma State - Mizzou
Baylor - Kansas
I've always wondered why the Big XII didn't do what the SEC did. They found a way to where Alabama could play Tennessee every year, so why not keep the OU-Nebraska game played annually.

Blitzkrieg
3/27/2006, 03:09 PM
Maybe they could make a champ game every once in a while, then we could play them. Thrashing CU is getting old.

humblesooner
3/27/2006, 04:10 PM
Nebraska gets most of their defense back that was injury riddled and the will be better depth, and offensively NU improved as the year went on, and if a couple of tackles and an I-back step up, there is no reason for NU not to win the North next year.

AAAGGGGHHHH!!!! Slow down.
I know you can find the period key on the keyboard, because you put one at the end of that sentence/paragraph/page!!

;)

caphorns
3/27/2006, 04:42 PM
the big 12 formation was the end all of anything holy!

Nope. The decline of western civilization started when our forefathers decided it was a good idea to play our sheep-shagging agricultural school to the south. In the defense of our forefathers, how in the world could they have known that this decision would lead to nut squeezing, the jizz jar and the elephant walk. When it is time to proclaim the real end to all things holy, I hope everyone gives this some thought. For awhile, I really thought 77-0 would get rid of them. That OU had come to our rescue - maybe as retribution for the land you stole many years ago. That 77-0 would rid them of their desire to destroy the planet. That they would fall on their own swords - figuratively and maybe literally.

But, not so much. ATM still recruits a bunch of freaks to join them every year. And those freaks survive. And so on and so on until the end of all things holy. I'm convinced, now more than ever, that this plague on all things great - this Texas A&M - will be the ultimate undoing of all things sacred and holy. You see that with just a slip here or there -- maybe a bad offensive line or an injured superstar or two -- that abomination from the South could win a championship in something other than meatjudging. Then, there will be no more joy in football. Then, we will know that the gods detest us and our species. There will be no choice but to sacrifice the remainder of our previously glorious lives for the sake of cleansing this dark new world of any sign of real greatness.

I hope for both of our sakes that the battle will still rage. And if it takes our retarded brothers of the North - the Bugeaters - to stop them. Then godspeed and Hail Calliwussy!

JohnnyMack
3/27/2006, 04:49 PM
Nope. The decline of western civilization started when our forefathers decided it was a good idea to play our sheep-shagging agricultural school to the south. In the defense of our forefathers, how in the world could they have known that this decision would lead to nut squeezing, the jizz jar and the elephant walk. When it is time to proclaim the real end to all things holy, I hope everyone gives this some thought. For awhile, I really thought 77-0 would get rid of them. That OU had come to our rescue - maybe as retribution for the land you stole many years ago. That 77-0 would rid them of their desire to destroy the planet. That they would fall on their own swords - figuratively and maybe literally.

But, not so much. ATM still recruits a bunch of freaks to join them every year. And those freaks survive. And so on and so on until the end of all things holy. I'm convinced, now more than ever, that this plague on all things great - this Texas A&M - will be the ultimate undoing of all things sacred and holy. You see that with just a slip here or there -- maybe a bad offensive line or an injured superstar or two -- that abomination from the South could win a championship in something other than meatjudging. Then, there will be no more joy in football. Then, we will know that the gods detest us and our species. There will be no choice but to sacrifice the remainder of our previously glorious lives for the sake of cleansing this dark new world of any sign of real greatness.

I hope for both of our sakes that the battle will still rage. And if it takes our retarded brothers of the North - the Bugeaters - to stop them. Then godspeed and Hail Calliwussy!

Yeah, much as I hate Saxet, having the Cult win it all in football would make me commit seppuku with a Sharpie.

tbl
3/27/2006, 07:24 PM
Are you freakin' retarded? Texas has won a National Championship on SOMETHING, every year for the last 26 years

http://www.texassports.com/index.php?s=&change_well_id=2&url_article_id=101

Yeah genius. It must have been real hard for you to go all the way back to 2003-2004, 96-97, 94-95, 91-92... You must have missed those while you were ooh-ing and ahh-ing over the mens swim team.

Quack 10
3/28/2006, 05:04 PM
How can I pick me up that hawtie?

Spare me.

Seriously, this is an interesting thread for a Big XII outsider. Good stuff.

The VIIIth
3/28/2006, 09:50 PM
I'm amused at what Prince is doing at KSU.

So far he's snagged the Huskers prime 5 star QB recruit (He texted BC he was outta there)

Went into Nebraska and snagged arguably the states best punter. Nebraska annually puts out about 6 D1 players.

Then he hired Scott Frost last week to coach on his football team.

If you think huskers were paranoid lately...
http://img287.imageshack.us/img287/5240/lgwilhelmap012im.jpg

royalfan5
3/28/2006, 10:32 PM
I'm amused at what Prince is doing at KSU.

So far he's snagged the Huskers prime 5 star QB recruit (He texted BC he was outta there)

Went into Nebraska and snagged arguably the states best punter. Nebraska annually puts out about 6 D1 players.

Then he hired Scott Frost last week to coach on his football team.

If you think huskers were paranoid lately...
http://img287.imageshack.us/img287/5240/lgwilhelmap012im.jpg
Of course on losing the state's best punter. Nebraska never gives schollies to punter's. They are always walk-on's and until we're suddenly with out a punter, I wouldn't look for that policy to change. K-State has been pulling people out of Nebraska for a long time, especially in the south-central area where there is a lot of K-State sympathizers. The signed a lineman from Silver Lake(an 8 man school) the prior year, a blocking tight end for Omaha Central, and the year before that they got Everidge out of Papilion from a Nebraska commit, and John McCardle who quaterbacked the class A championship team the year before. K-State has always recruited Nebraska hard and had some success. Prince isn't doing anything new with this, Synder did it for years.

SicEmBaylor
3/28/2006, 10:53 PM
I'd rather have Colorado or Iowa State than Kansas.

The VIIIth
3/28/2006, 11:30 PM
Of course on losing the state's best punter. Nebraska never gives schollies to punter's. They are always walk-on's and until we're suddenly with out a punter, I wouldn't look for that policy to change. K-State has been pulling people out of Nebraska for a long time, especially in the south-central area where there is a lot of K-State sympathizers. The signed a lineman from Silver Lake(an 8 man school) the prior year, a blocking tight end for Omaha Central, and the year before that they got Everidge out of Papilion from a Nebraska commit, and John McCardle who quaterbacked the class A championship team the year before. K-State has always recruited Nebraska hard and had some success. Prince isn't doing anything new with this, Synder did it for years.

The punter was the cherry. Freeman and Scott Frost both came out of left field and both left the Huskers with a sour taste and a giant WTF is going on here.

You have to admit there's a bit of a preoccupation going on in the Huskers world RoyalFan...

royalfan5
3/28/2006, 11:36 PM
The punter was the cherry. Freeman and Scott Frost both came out of left field and both left the Huskers with a sour taste and a giant WTF is going on here.

You have to admit there's a bit of a preoccupation going on in the Huskers world RoyalFan...
That's because most Nebraska fans are bat**** insane.

Desert Sapper
3/29/2006, 06:11 AM
Yeah genius. It must have been real hard for you to go all the way back to 2003-2004, 96-97, 94-95, 91-92... You must have missed those while you were ooh-ing and ahh-ing over the mens swim team.

Apparently they won at ... ahem ... women's tennis in 1994. Bwahahahahaha. Sorry. That's very respectable. Not.

caphorns
3/29/2006, 08:22 AM
Apparently they won at ... ahem ... women's tennis in 1994. Bwahahahahaha. Sorry. That's very respectable. Not.

Don't kid yourself - those 1994 women could beat you silly with their rackets or with a few thigh kicks.

RooseveltRoughRider
3/29/2006, 11:01 AM
The funny thing about OU...is that they have ONE National Title in Football in the last 20 years just like UT...and as much as they make fun of Texas' Swimming and diving titles...

Why no mention of OU's MENS GYMNASTICS...which by far is your most successful sport at OU in the last 20 years. Not to mention WRESTLING...you know where the men hunch on the mat until someone gives up? I'd rather be a swimming school than a MENS GYMNASTICS school

The VIIIth
3/29/2006, 11:11 AM
The funny thing about OU...is that they have ONE National Title in Football in the last 20 years just like UT...and as much as they make fun of Texas' Swimming and diving titles...

Why no mention of OU's MENS GYMNASTICS...which by far is your most successful sport at OU in the last 20 years. Not to mention WRESTLING...you know where the men hunch on the mat until someone gives up? I'd rather be a swimming school than a MENS GYMNASTICS school

OU has more National Titles in Football than all the texass schools combined.

Regardless, since it's been over thirty years since TU won anything of consequence in Football, OU has picked up fOUr Trophys to your one...

Get back in the pool...

colleyvillesooner
3/29/2006, 11:15 AM

I like how now that it's 2006, not 2005, all the "20 years" talk comes out. Weak sauce.

tbl
3/29/2006, 11:26 AM
The reason we don't mention mens gymnastics is the same reason you guys shouldn't be mentioning your other successes, especially on a football board. It's not that we're ashamed of them... we just know what's priority.

RooseveltRoughRider
3/29/2006, 11:58 AM
I like how now that it's 2006, not 2005, all the "20 years" talk comes out. Weak sauce.
Its no different than Sooners trying to include 2000 in the decade (becuase you won a tiotle that year) when everyone knows the decade started in 2001.

soonerjoker
3/29/2006, 12:02 PM
JMHO

decade started in 2000.

Desert Sapper
3/29/2006, 12:38 PM
Its no different than Sooners trying to include 2000 in the decade (becuase you won a tiotle that year) when everyone knows the decade started in 2001.

Every one of you peckerheads, you mean. Last time I checked, decades consist of 10 year periods beginning with a year that ends in zero. For example:

The '50s - 1950 - 1959
The '60s - 1960 - 1969
The '70s - 1970 - 1979
The '80s - 1980 - 1989
The '90s - 1990 - 1999
The 2000's - 2000 - 2009

and so on.

Now, if you are speaking of the century or the millenium, then you would be correct. Those technically began in 2001. Either way, you are an idiot.

colleyvillesooner
3/29/2006, 02:56 PM

http://www.turlockjournal.com/galleries/littleleague/images/swing_and_miss_2.jpg