PDA

View Full Version : School Cafeteria Dilemma

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
3/24/2006, 12:44 PM
My 1st grade niece has invited me to eat lunch with her in the school cafeteria. The day I am supposed to go, they are having chicken nuggets. Should I just surprise her with McDonald's?

ChickSoonerFan
3/24/2006, 12:46 PM
Not ulness you have bring enough to share with the enitre class!

:eek:

proud gonzo
3/24/2006, 12:47 PM
I never ate school cafeteria food. I'm a picky eater. But I know everyone loved chicken nugget day.

...but I ALSO know i always really loved it when my dad would surprise me with McDonald's for lunch at school. ...and it was great to make everyone else jealous

Hamhock
3/24/2006, 12:48 PM
Why do you hate chicken sphincter?

colleyvillesooner
3/24/2006, 12:48 PM
Yeah, get her *** kicked, that'll be good. ;)

OUDoc
3/24/2006, 12:50 PM
Hmmm, "school cafeteria food" vs. "not school cafeteria food". The chioce is obvious.

IronSooner
3/24/2006, 12:50 PM
Yes. Bring her McD's chicken nuggets. That'll surprise her. ;)

BlondeSoonerGirl
3/24/2006, 12:51 PM
Don't forget the six-pack of Natty Light!

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
3/24/2006, 01:06 PM
Don't forget the six-pack of Natty Light!Do they have samples? I need enough for the whole class.

3/24/2006, 01:06 PM
Baja chalupa.

salth2o
3/24/2006, 01:12 PM
Whenever I go have lunch with my daughter, who is a first grader, I always bring her Chick-fil-A, or something of the like. Most of the other parents who are having lunch with their kid, bring them lunch from somewhere other than the crapateria.

IronSooner
3/24/2006, 01:17 PM
That's how we did it when I was a kid. Yeah parents were great and all, but outside food rocked faces off.

sooneron
3/24/2006, 01:18 PM
I guess you have to figure out what is the lesser of two evils-

Judge Sweet offered up, by way of example, Chicken McNuggets. "Rather than being merely chicken fried in a pan," he wrote, they are "a McFrankenstein creation of various elements not utilized by the home cook." His decision listed 30 or 40 ingredients other than chicken, and noted that although chicken is regarded as healthier than beef, Chicken McNuggets are actually far fattier. "It is at least a question of fact," he held, whether a reasonable consumer would know that a McNugget "contained so many ingredients other than chicken and provided twice the fat of a hamburger." ...

http://www.boosman.com/blog/2003/02/mcdonalds_obesity_and_common_s.html

GDC
3/24/2006, 01:18 PM
I'm lucky, the food isn't too bad where I work. Good salad bar usually makes up for a poor entree, and it's always free.

Boomhauer
3/24/2006, 01:21 PM
I am eating school food right now! Mmmmmmm...stuff crust pizza. Fozen pizza kind rocks!

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
3/24/2006, 01:22 PM
I'm lucky, the food isn't too bad where I work.Small schools have better food, IMO. A friend of my family's is the cafeteria manager for Whitesboro. She plans really good meals there.

GDC
3/24/2006, 01:23 PM
Small schools have better food, IMO. A friend of my family's is the cafeteria manager for Whitesboro. She plans really good meals there.

Yes, ours is very much hillbilly home cooking, I love it.

OKC Sooner
3/24/2006, 01:31 PM
I guess you have to figure out what is the lesser of two evils-

Judge Sweet offered up, by way of example, Chicken McNuggets. "Rather than being merely chicken fried in a pan," he wrote, they are "a McFrankenstein creation of various elements not utilized by the home cook." His decision listed 30 or 40 ingredients other than chicken, and noted that although chicken is regarded as healthier than beef, Chicken McNuggets are actually far fattier. "It is at least a question of fact," he held, whether a reasonable consumer would know that a McNugget "contained so many ingredients other than chicken and provided twice the fat of a hamburger." ...

http://www.boosman.com/blog/2003/02/mcdonalds_obesity_and_common_s.html

Parts is parts :chicken:

IronSooner
3/24/2006, 01:33 PM
Incidentally the guy who invented the chicken nugget died last week.

C&CDean
3/24/2006, 01:38 PM
When I was a kid, you weren't allowed to even speak in the cafeteria. You got your tray, they dished up the grub, and you sat down. They had lunch room monitors (bitchy old ladies who volunteered) walk around saying "QUIET" over and over.

And it would have embarrassed the fire outta me if my mom showed up for lunch. The only people who relatives come to the school were the ****tards or crybabies. If one of my folks showed up at school it meant I was fixin' to get the assbeatdown of my life.

OUDoc
3/24/2006, 01:39 PM
When I was a kid, you weren't allowed to even speak in the cafeteria. You got your tray, they dished up the grub, and you sat down. They had lunch room monitors (bitchy old ladies who volunteered) walk around saying "QUIET" over and over.

And it would have embarrassed the fire outta me if my mom showed up for lunch. The only people who relatives come to the school were the ****tards or crybabies. If one of my folks showed up at school it meant I was fixin' to get the assbeatdown of my life.
You had a lovely youth, Dean.

Mjcpr
3/24/2006, 01:40 PM

Were you there with The Birdman and Al Capone?

C&CDean
3/24/2006, 01:40 PM
You had a lovely youth, Dean.

53% white trash baby.

OUDoc
3/24/2006, 01:45 PM
The details of my life are quite inconsequential... very well, where do I begin? My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a fifteen year old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet. My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. My childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When I was insolent I was placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds- pretty standard really. At the age of twelve I received my first scribe. At the age of fourteen a Zoroastrian named Vilma ritualistically shaved my testicles. There really is nothing like a shorn scrotum... it's breathtaking- I highly suggest you try it.
:D

C&CDean
3/24/2006, 01:46 PM
Mom's name was NOT Chloe.

NormanPride
3/24/2006, 02:00 PM
Agatha, then?

mdklatt
3/24/2006, 02:07 PM
When I was in elementary school, nobody's parents ever came to have lunch with them. I don't think that was allowed. Even if it was, that would be a good way to get your *** kicked by the fifth and sixth graders at recess.

Hell, you can't go anywhere for lunch in Norman on a school day without seeing somebody taking their little brats out to lunch. Schools allow this? Kids today are spoiled rotten, I tell you what.

IB4OU2
3/24/2006, 02:20 PM
You guys had a cafeteria? I had a Roy Rogers lunch box that normally carried a peanut butter and jelly or a meatloaf sammich. and if I was lucky I got a banana too.

mdklatt
3/24/2006, 02:23 PM
You guys had a cafeteria?

cafegymnorium :D

pb4ou
3/24/2006, 02:33 PM
I heard a disturbing thing about McDonald's McNuggets. Don't know if it's true.
I heard they take a chicken then pluck it, then they put it whole in all in a processor that grinds them up; beak, a5s, brains and all. Then they roll it into a ball, then boil it, then fry it.

Anyone else ever hear this????

proud gonzo
3/24/2006, 02:34 PM
considering that recently they switched to all white meat nuggets, even if that was once true, i don't think it is anymore

proud gonzo
3/24/2006, 02:36 PM
Yeah, get her *** kicked, that'll be good. ;)
when i was a kid, we always just figured if somebody came to visit you for lunch (usually happened on birthdays and such) that was just cool and you were entitled to your mcnuggets. it'd be silly to have to bring lunch for everybody.

C&CDean
3/24/2006, 02:38 PM
considering that recently they switched to all white meat nuggets, even if that was once true, i don't think it is anymore

If you read the fine print it says "prepared from 100% caucasian chicken nuts, guts, beaks, butts, and feet."

So, technically it is all white meat.....

proud gonzo
3/24/2006, 02:39 PM
this is really reminding me of the episode of "the boondocks" that was on last night...

IronSooner
3/24/2006, 02:41 PM
I heard a disturbing thing about McDonald's McNuggets. Don't know if it's true.
I heard they take a chicken then pluck it, then they put it whole in all in a processor that grinds them up; beak, a5s, brains and all. Then they roll it into a ball, then boil it, then fry it.

Anyone else ever hear this????

Hey dude, it's all protein. ;)

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
3/24/2006, 03:04 PM
Dean.
They still have the Nazi cafeteria monitors. Fer cryin' out loud! Why can't the little brats talk to their friends at lunch? At least let them use their "inside voices."

When I was a kid, my mom would say things like "SBSB, you like spaghetti. Why do you want to take your lunch?" Then she ate lunch with me in the cafeteria and after that I took my lunch.

proud gonzo
3/24/2006, 03:06 PM
your mom called you SBSB? :confused:

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
3/24/2006, 03:07 PM
your mom called you SBSB? :confused:Um yeah. Doesn't yours call you Gonzo?

SicEmBaylor
3/24/2006, 03:09 PM
Surprise her with McDonalds but for God's sake don't worry about the rest of their class. She's YOUR niece and you're not the aunt of every one of those kids. They need to learn that in life not everyone gets the same things at the same times. Plus, it'll make your niece feel more special.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
3/24/2006, 03:12 PM
Surprise her with McDonalds but for God's sake don't worry about the rest of their class. She's YOUR niece and you're not the aunt of every one of those kids. They need to learn that in life not everyone gets the same things at the same times. Plus, it'll make your niece feel more special.Oh I won't get stuff for the rest of the class. That's lame.

BlondeSoonerGirl
3/24/2006, 03:15 PM
If you read the fine print it says "prepared from 100% caucasian chicken nuts, guts, beaks, butts, and feet."

So, technically it is all white meat.....

:les: CHICKEN NUTS ARE DEELISHUS!!!

TopDaugIn2000
3/24/2006, 03:15 PM
yes, take her something worth eating from the OUTSIDE world. I'd do that for my nieces in a heartbeat, if I lived closer :(

Mjcpr
3/24/2006, 03:20 PM
:les: CHICKEN NUTS ARE DEELISHUS!!!

They look like they'd taste like Sugar Babies.

http://www.angrin.tlri.gov.tw/chicken/SCTNC/SCTNC.20.jpg

BlondeSoonerGirl
3/24/2006, 03:22 PM
Those look more like little, tiny kidneys.

God bless 'em...

Jimminy Crimson
3/24/2006, 03:25 PM
I don't feel like reading the whole thread :mack:, but check the beyonce out of school and take her somewhere for lunch. That was always better than eating in the cafeteria, regardless of the grub.

GDC
3/24/2006, 03:28 PM
How about some gizzards?

http://ilocana.com/food/fd31.jpg

SicEmBaylor
3/24/2006, 03:29 PM
I don't feel like reading the whole thread :mack:, but check the beyonce out of school and take her somewhere for lunch. That was always better than eating in the cafeteria, regardless of the grub.

But what if she wnats to show off her totally cool Aunt who brought her nuggets to the rest of the class? :D

Mjcpr
3/24/2006, 03:30 PM
But what if she wnats to show off her totally cool Aunt who brought her nuggets to the rest of the class? :D

If my aunt had nuggets I wouldn't want her anywhere near my friends.

GDC
3/24/2006, 03:31 PM
Saw a kid bring McDonalds food to an excellent Mexican restaurant last night, spoiled little ****s like that really **** me off.

Vaevictis
3/24/2006, 03:35 PM

So basically, what you're saying is that McNuggets are chicken hot dogs.

Vaevictis
3/24/2006, 03:36 PM
How about some gizzards?

Are you sure somebody didn't already eat that?

3/24/2006, 03:36 PM
I would gladly fist fight any one of you for a chicken nut.

Jimminy Crimson
3/24/2006, 03:37 PM

It's cooler to get checked out.

By far.

SicEmBaylor
3/24/2006, 03:38 PM
Saw a kid bring McDonalds food to an excellent Mexican restaurant last night, spoiled little ****s like that really **** me off.

Bringing food from another restaurant into another restaurant is a definite no-no regardless of who you are.

I've got an insanely insanely cheap friend who insisted going out to eat with a group of us to Friday's one night, but he didn't want to spend money on Friday's food. So he just sits there drinking water until he gets the bright idea that Super Wal-Mart is just across the street and THEY have food he could be eating.

So he walks across the street with the intent of buying food, coming back, and eating at Friday's. I did my best to stop him but to no avail, so we quickly asked for the check and left his *** there. He had to drag someone out of bed to come pick him up. He was fairly ****ed. And yes I can be a real bastard sometimes. :D

IronSooner
3/24/2006, 03:38 PM
I had a friend who once brought a book to read to Ted's. I'd put that as slightly worse than McD's, but on the same scale.

IronSooner
3/24/2006, 03:39 PM

I think you'd have to fist fight the chicken for that. I don't have any chicken nuts. I have people nuts.

3/24/2006, 03:40 PM
You can say THAT again.

mdklatt
3/24/2006, 03:50 PM
When I was a kid, my mom would say things like "SBSB, you like spaghetti."

Who talks like that to their kid?? :eek:

OUDoc
3/24/2006, 03:53 PM
I would gladly fist any one of you for a chicken nut.
Dude, you've been in texas too long.

BlondeSoonerGirl
3/24/2006, 03:55 PM

I want to make this my sig line sooo bad.

But then I'd be 13% white trash...:mack:

3/24/2006, 03:58 PM
Doc made me chuckle.

NTTAWWT.

mdklatt
3/24/2006, 03:58 PM
Doc made me tinkle.

Were his hands too cold?

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
3/24/2006, 04:19 PM
It's cool to get checked outta school if you're older than 6. In 1st grade you want to eat lunch in the cafeteria with your cool relative.

Jimminy Crimson
3/24/2006, 04:24 PM
It's cool to get checked outta school if you're older than 6. In 1st grade you want to eat lunch in the cafeteria with your cool relative.

No.

You don't.

:D

ultimatesooner1
3/24/2006, 04:59 PM
Small schools have better food, IMO. A friend of my family's is the cafeteria manager for Whitesboro. She plans really good meals there.

unless your kids went to Lost City where the kids were getting half a hotdog and 2 tater tots

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
3/24/2006, 05:22 PM
No.

You don't.

:DHer relatives are cooler than yours. My brother said she will eat lunch at the special table, then when they announce recess she will send me on my way. Priorities.

IronSooner
3/24/2006, 05:22 PM
Frito chili pie is where it's at. With a cinnamon role on the side. GOOD stuff.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
3/24/2006, 05:42 PM
Unfortunately it's chicken nuggets, mashed potatoes and gravy, a hot roll and fresh apple wedges.

Mazzio's pizza on Tuesday. WTF? They used to serve english peas with pizza

http://www.moore.k12.ok.us/site/pdf/lunchmenu/05/06/ElementaryMarch2006.pdf

3/24/2006, 05:52 PM
I would gladly decapetate any one of you for a chicken nugget with gravy and an English pea on top of it.

BlondeSoonerGirl
3/24/2006, 05:58 PM
I would fist fight you for that pea.

KC//CRIMSON
3/24/2006, 06:03 PM
Bring a couple of cases of Red Bull for all the little children.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
3/27/2006, 01:18 PM
I ended up picking up a pizza from Cici's. Not too bad. She was waiting for me at the guest table when I got there. She ate 2 pieces of pizza and when the teacher said they could start throwing away their trash and go out for recess, she was done with Aunt SBSB.

slickdawg
3/27/2006, 01:22 PM
I ended up picking up a pizza from Cici's. Not too bad. She was waiting for me at the guest table when I got there. She ate 2 pieces of pizza and when the teacher said they could start throwing away their trash and go out for recess, she was done with Aunt SBSB.

That was very nice of you to do, she'll remember that for a long time.

TUSooner
3/27/2006, 01:44 PM
n/m

TopDaugIn2000
3/27/2006, 08:36 PM
oh man, cafeteria ladies can make the BEST rolls. at least ours could. the ONLY thing worth eating there.

Thank God we had an open campus starting in 4th grade. Never ate there after that!

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
3/27/2006, 09:08 PM
oh man, cafeteria ladies can make the BEST rolls. at least ours could. the ONLY thing worth eating there.

Thank God we had an open campus starting in 4th grade. Never ate there after that!In 4th grade? WOW.

BajaOklahoma
3/27/2006, 09:09 PM
Wacky cake. And the rolls. The best!

TopDaugIn2000
3/27/2006, 09:11 PM
In 4th grade? WOW.

yeah, there was a little burger joint next door and a pizza place across the street. we could walk there (with parent's permission).

the eventually phased it out though, not even High school kids can leave campus now. It's REALLY hurt the local food joints too.

If I acted up all Mom had to do was threaten to make me eat in the cafeteria. that would straighten me out REAL quick.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
3/27/2006, 09:12 PM
Wacky cake. And the rolls. The best!Mmmm wacky cake. We never had that in Moore. We always had beetnik cake. Of course, small school food is always better.

TopDaugIn2000
3/27/2006, 09:13 PM
Of course, small school food is always better.

wasn't the case in my school. BLEH

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
3/27/2006, 09:15 PM
The PC schools used to have a sweet set up at the elementary level. The kids had their own little salad bar and then 3 or 4 food choices.

SicEmBaylor
3/27/2006, 09:17 PM
My school wasn't too bad. We had a closed campus but they brought food in from the outside which I always ate. The actual cafeteria food wasn't too bad I don't think. We had two seperate lines with like 4 food choices from each line plus salad bar, condiment bar, etc.

TopDaugIn2000
3/27/2006, 09:19 PM
we had 2 choices

take it, or leave it.

IronSooner
3/27/2006, 09:36 PM
The PC schools used to have a sweet set up at the elementary level. The kids had their own little salad bar and then 3 or 4 food choices.

Wow, and they say Edmond kids are spoiled. Our food came in a horse trailer. No kidding. We had one line, which you stood in alphabetically by last name (this screwed me permanently) and you got (maybe) two choices of food. On lucky days they had seconds, so you could go back and get extra Frito Pie or another cinnamon roll or wacky cake. We never had a guest table either. Mom sat next to your friends or took you out, those were your options. Most kids went out.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
3/27/2006, 09:41 PM
My elementary didn't have a kitchen either. They brought it over from the mid high in a horse trailer. They served crap like green peas with homemade pizza. The spaghetti sauce was watery and we made jokes that the grill marks got on the burgers with magic markers.

My niece said she eats the sack lunch (PBJ, piece of fruit, and bag of chips) unless it is hot dog or Mazzio's day.

In junior high they would serve Little Charlies Pizzas that were good, but then they would slap a stick of commodity cheese on the top.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
3/27/2006, 09:41 PM
Wow, and they say Edmond kids are spoiled. Our food came in a horse trailer. No kidding. We had one line, which you stood in alphabetically by last name (this screwed me permanently) and you got (maybe) two choices of food. On lucky days they had seconds, so you could go back and get extra Frito Pie or another cinnamon roll or wacky cake. We never had a guest table either. Mom sat next to your friends or took you out, those were your options. Most kids went out.You didn't get in line by homeroom? That succs.

IronSooner
3/27/2006, 09:45 PM
We didn't have homeroom till 6th grade. I think they had it organized according to whatever class you were in last. Either way I shook hands with a lot of higher-grade kids in line. of course if you ever saw a picture of me from back then you wouldn't feel too sorry about it...I certainly wasn't starving to death.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
3/27/2006, 09:47 PM
Your school was weird. You shouldn't have been eating lunch with kids who weren't within 1 or 2 grades of you

Sooner_Bob
3/27/2006, 09:49 PM
My best friend from high school's mom was the cafeteria manager. We'd get there early and get seconds. Those ladies could flat out cook.