PDA

View Full Version : Sick Dogs SUCK!!!!!

Sooner in Tampa
3/24/2006, 09:56 AM
Gunny (our 6 yr old Bulldog) has been pretty sick this week :( He has been breathing like he just got done running, and he looks like he has lost 10 lbs...just this week. He ain't eatin, and he really hasn't touched his food since Saturday, he will only eat the snacks I throw in the bowl for him.

SOOOOOO...we take him to the Vet yesterday and the doc tells us his lymp nodes are really swollen and hard right behind his jaw. So they take X-Rays and blood...he looks at the blood under the scope and sees no sign of Heartworm...he gives Gunny a pretty stout antibiotic hoping to get the ball rolling for him to start feeling better...and a 2 prescriptions.

I call the vet this morning to check on the blood work results...No heatworm, but he wants Gunny back to take more X-rays...the receptionist tells me that there are "liver problems"...so I ask for more info and she tells me that I need to talk to the Vet this afternoon when I take him back.

This is a pic of him from last summer...he weighed about 70 lbs then...yesterday he tipped the scale at a whopping 58 lbs.

http://www.picfury.com/2/gunny-1-th.jpg (http://www.picfury.com/2/gunny-1.html)

3/24/2006, 10:03 AM
Doesn't sound good, but I hope it works out for you.

Sweet pool.

Sooner in Tampa
3/24/2006, 10:05 AM
Doesn't sound good, but I hope it works out for you.

Sweet pool.I know...I fear he has cancer :(

Thanks...it makes for great summer days.

boomersooner28
3/24/2006, 10:05 AM
That SUCKS! He is a big boy (or was, sorry). He will be fine. I also have a English, he has horrible allergies. Keep us updated.

slickdawg
3/24/2006, 10:11 AM
When Scooter went through her bout with Pancreatitis, we had a lot of
similar symptoms. Her liver enzymes went through the roof, lymph nodes
swollen, no appetite, just feeling miserable.

While I hope that everything works out for Gunny, the prognosis for
recovery from major internal organ problems isn't that good.

#1 SOONER FAN
3/24/2006, 12:24 PM
Well, bless her heart, hopefully she'll be fine but doesn't sound good at all, shouldn't be loosing that much weight. Hope Gunny is fine, looks like a fine dog.

TopDaugIn2000
3/24/2006, 12:41 PM
My chihuahua went thru the same thing. Stopped eating, lost weight, ended up spending 3 days in the hospital for liver problems. They gave him an IV & meds and he came thru it OK. Hasn't had problems since really. That was about 3 years ago. Once in a while he'll get sick at his stomach or his pee will be really dark (I notice this cause he uses a peepee pad while I'm at work) but he seems fine most of the time.

Seeing a chihuahua in the hospital with an IV in his tiny little leg is one of the most pitiful things I've ever seen in my life. He was so depressed and sad too. :(

BajaOklahoma
3/24/2006, 07:39 PM
Update?
And I hate it when the 4-foots get sick.

VeeJay
3/24/2006, 07:45 PM
Yep - that's a tough one.

Just like your own child, you don't want to see them suffering or in pain.

olevetonahill
3/24/2006, 11:56 PM
Had to take knothead to the vet yesterday
Doc shot him .
with the rabies and distemper stuff and then wormed him.
Really tho It sucks to have a dog you love get sick or die :mad:
Luck to you and him .

bigdsooner
3/25/2006, 12:11 AM
Gunny (our 6 yr old Bulldog) has been pretty sick this week :( He has been breathing like he just got done running, and he looks like he has lost 10 lbs...just this week. He ain't eatin, and he really hasn't touched his food since Saturday, he will only eat the snacks I throw in the bowl for him.

SOOOOOO...we take him to the Vet yesterday and the doc tells us his lymp nodes are really swollen and hard right behind his jaw. So they take X-Rays and blood...he looks at the blood under the scope and sees no sign of Heartworm...he gives Gunny a pretty stout antibiotic hoping to get the ball rolling for him to start feeling better...and a 2 prescriptions.

I call the vet this morning to check on the blood work results...No heatworm, but he wants Gunny back to take more X-rays...the receptionist tells me that there are "liver problems"...so I ask for more info and she tells me that I need to talk to the Vet this afternoon when I take him back.

This is a pic of him from last summer...he weighed about 70 lbs then...yesterday he tipped the scale at a whopping 58 lbs.

http://www.picfury.com/2/gunny-1-th.jpg (http://www.picfury.com/2/gunny-1.html)

man that sucks, i hope he gets better, sick pets are no fun. my oldest lab was a free puppy, from a friend of a friend. she wasnt quite free though, she was anemic and had worms. $256.00 vet bill later and we took her home.

hopefully gunny will be back to normal in a few days

Scott D
3/25/2006, 11:02 AM
My chihuahua went thru the same thing. Stopped eating, lost weight, ended up spending 3 days in the hospital for liver problems. They gave him an IV & meds and he came thru it OK. Hasn't had problems since really. That was about 3 years ago. Once in a while he'll get sick at his stomach or his pee will be really dark (I notice this cause he uses a peepee pad while I'm at work) but he seems fine most of the time.

Seeing a chihuahua in the hospital with an IV in his tiny little leg is one of the most pitiful things I've ever seen in my life. He was so depressed and sad too. :(

I hate to say it, but hearing about a chihuahua losing weight is amusing even if the reason isn't. It's like hearing Lara Flynn Boyle is crash dieting.

chriscappel
3/25/2006, 11:10 AM
I want a Bulldog!! But they are waaaaay to expensive out here!!!

yermom
3/25/2006, 01:06 PM
I hate to say it, but hearing about a chihuahua losing weight is amusing even if the reason isn't. It's like hearing Lara Flynn Boyle is crash dieting.

yeah, hard to visualize one losing weight!

jk the sooner fan
3/25/2006, 01:18 PM
CSF - man that sucks....from one dog lover to another, hope things are ok....

MamaMia
3/25/2006, 01:28 PM
I just said a prayer to God for Gunny, and to both St.Martin and St.Francis, the Patron Saints of Animals, that they will watch over him. I'm hoping for the best.

william_brasky
3/25/2006, 02:15 PM
best of luck Gunny!!!

TopDaugIn2000
3/26/2006, 09:34 AM

yeah, he lost about 2 pounds. and when you only weigh 7 to begin with, that's a pretty big deal.

Scott D
3/26/2006, 12:37 PM
yeah, he lost about 2 pounds. and when you only weigh 7 to begin with, that's a pretty big deal.

I never said it wasn't sad...just sadly amusing in a twisted sort of way..and that's just how I roll.

TopDaugIn2000
3/26/2006, 09:43 PM
I understand ya.