PDA

View Full Version : I've relapsed into sci-fi dorkdom

royalfan5
3/23/2006, 10:52 PM
From about the age of 12-17ish I loved me some sci-fi, especially Star Trek, and to a lesser extent Star Wars. I watch it, read it, and collected the models. I then began to repess it as part of my quest for tail. Not that it helped, mind you, but I did it anyway. Weirdly enough in the last couple of days, I realized I still loved me some Star Trek, and to a lesser extent Star Wars. I am actually pleased with this development as it is better than spending time following Nebraska basketball.

OUthunder
3/23/2006, 10:53 PM
DS9 is the best of the Star Trek Franchise.

May the Sisko be with you.

sanantoniosooner
3/23/2006, 10:54 PM
f'n space cadets

royalfan5
3/23/2006, 10:55 PM
Personally my first love was the orginal series, because I remember watching it with my mom a bunch. Also I just watch Star Trek:Nemesis for the first time, and it was almost as bad as Star Trek V.

Sooner_Bob
3/23/2006, 10:58 PM
Stargate (the movie) and then the SG-1 and Atlantis series are some of the best sci-fi shows I've seen.

I'm more of a fan of the Star Trek movies than the numerous series. I tried to get into watching Enterprise, but just couldn't.

Octavian
3/23/2006, 11:01 PM
DS9 is the best of the Star Trek Franchise.

May the Morn be with you.

;)

Vaevictis
3/23/2006, 11:05 PM
Doctor Who, fsckers!

Octavian
3/23/2006, 11:08 PM
From about the age of 12-17ish I loved me some sci-fi, especially Star Trek, and to a lesser extent Star Wars. I watch it, read it, and collected the models. I then began to repess it as part of my quest for tail. Not that it helped, mind you, but I did it anyway. Weirdly enough in the last couple of days, I realized I still loved me some Star Trek, and to a lesser extent Star Wars. I am actually pleased with this development as it is better than spending time following Nebraska basketball.

I was gonna say welcome back!

but.... :D

series:
DS9
TNG
TOS

movies:
VI
III
IV :O

royalfan5
3/23/2006, 11:12 PM
I was gonna say welcome back!

but.... :D

series:
DS9
TNG
TOS

movies:
VI
III
IV :O
On the movies
II
VI
III
IV
I
V

VIII
VII
IX
X

Octavian
3/23/2006, 11:17 PM
I

eww

royalfan5
3/23/2006, 11:18 PM
eww
Best sleep aid ever. However, I can only imagaine how great it would be if you were stoned out of your mind.

Ike
3/23/2006, 11:28 PM
ya know something...As I've progressed along my path towards actually being a scientist, I've been less and less impressed with science fiction. Its funny cause its a big part of what inspired me to go down this path, but now that I'm fully on it, its just not very exciting.

Octavian
3/23/2006, 11:34 PM
ya know something...As I've progressed along my path towards actually being a scientist, I've been less and less impressed with science fiction. Its funny cause its a big part of what inspired me to go down this path, but now that I'm fully on it, its just not very exciting.

it provides a lot of good ideas from which to start. Many fields have greatly benefitted from ideas that stemmed from fanciful sci-fi notions.

you might be experiencing what some guys go through after they've been referees....many lose the desire to watch sports as a spectator

many times I feel that way about the "History" Channel.

SicEmBaylor
3/23/2006, 11:45 PM

I was a huge Star Trek fan until I was about 12 or so and then I decided to go to a Star Trek convention. At 12 years old I was smart enough to know I need to get out of this crap FAST or else my life is doomed.

Turned out it was doomed anyway so I should have stuck with Star Trek.

GottaHavePride
3/24/2006, 12:38 AM

Did you watch Babylon 5 at all? I heard a lot of NASA guys loved that show because it was the first one to get the physics of spaceflight correct.

proud gonzo
3/24/2006, 01:20 AM
Did you watch Babylon 5 at all? I heard a lot of NASA guys loved that show because it was the first one to get the physics of spaceflight correct.
Good Walter, Bad Walter...
http://www.tailkinker.com/convention/people/autograph/wkoenig2.jpghttp://www.tailkinker.com/convention/people/autograph/wkoenig1.jpg

Ike
3/24/2006, 02:29 AM

nope. but Im not a nasa guy. and really, it isn't that hard to get the physics of spaceflight right.

I did watch firefly, and I do love that show, but not for the sci-fi-ness...It just had great characters and great storytelling potential without having to get all 'ooohh, what if theres some totally crazy **** out there' on you.

crawfish
3/24/2006, 08:45 AM
Not much for the Star Treks after TNG, but the new Battlestar Galactica will RYFO.

GDC
3/24/2006, 08:46 AM
I'm looking forward to the space elevator and transporter beams, which I've heard are actually a (limited) reality right now. The Day The Earth Stood Still is the greatest sci-fi movie ever.

jeremy885
3/24/2006, 09:24 AM

I loved it, but the 5th season (except the last couple episodes) were a let down.

Ike
3/24/2006, 02:19 PM
I'm looking forward to the space elevator and transporter beams, which I've heard are actually a (limited) reality right now. The Day The Earth Stood Still is the greatest sci-fi movie ever.

space elevator: possible, but in my humble opinion, nowhere close to being worth the money that would be required to build the damn thing.

transporters: well, we can do it with single massless particles. thats all I have to say about that.

Klaatu, Verada, Nikto.

GottaHavePride
3/24/2006, 03:10 PM
I loved it, but the 5th season (except the last couple episodes) were a let down.

Agreed.

And gdc, I might argue for the original Planet of the Apes over The Day the Earth Stood Still, but they're both pretty solid movies.

SicEmBaylor
3/24/2006, 03:12 PM
I really liked that show Sliders when it was on years and years ago. Do they ever show re-runs on the Sci-Fi network or are the DVDs available?

crawfish
3/24/2006, 03:14 PM
space elevator: possible, but in my humble opinion, nowhere close to being worth the money that would be required to build the damn thing.

transporters: well, we can do it with single massless particles. thats all I have to say about that.

Klaatu, Verada, Nikto.

Killjoy scientist. :mad:

You are hereby baned from all science fiction talk in the future. :mad:

jeremy885
3/24/2006, 03:15 PM
I really liked that show Sliders when it was on years and years ago. Do they ever show re-runs on the Sci-Fi network or are the DVDs available?

here you go

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/stores/series/-/90277/ref=pd_sr_ec_ser_d/103-1898748-5806231

GottaHavePride
3/24/2006, 03:17 PM
I really liked that show with Kari Wuhrer in it when it was on years and years ago. Do they ever show re-runs on the Sci-Fi network or are the DVDs available?

Fixed.

SicEmBaylor
3/24/2006, 03:18 PM
here you go

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/stores/series/-/90277/ref=pd_sr_ec_ser_d/103-1898748-5806231

'Spek to you my friend!

GDC
3/24/2006, 03:23 PM
Agreed.

And gdc, I might argue for the original Planet of the Apes over The Day the Earth Stood Still, but they're both pretty solid movies.

Yes, the end of Planet of the Apes blew my mind as a kid. One would also have to consider Blade Runner and 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Here's an interesting list (
http://www.pointlesswasteoftime.com/film/scifi.html) of the ten best sci-fi movies never made. The Starcraft one sounds interesting.