PDA

View Full Version : Civilization IV or Age of Empires 3?

SeattleOUstudent
3/23/2006, 07:26 PM
Wanna buy a new strategy game. Just wanting to hear some reviews (pros and cons) from you guys that have either or both of these games. TIA

Dean, dont confuse yourself with this thread. :)

SicEmBaylor
3/23/2006, 07:29 PM
Civilization IV definitely. I have both and AOE III is pretty damned good but Civ IV is something special.

Unless you have a preference for RTS games over turn based games. Civ IV is turn based while AOE III is a RTS.

SeattleOUstudent
3/23/2006, 07:39 PM
Civilization IV definitely. I have both and AOE III is pretty damned good but Civ IV is something special.

Unless you have a preference for RTS games over turn based games. Civ IV is turn based while AOE III is a RTS.

Sweet...graphically, does one out-weigh the other?

Im not sure which I would prefer. I have Rome:Total War, which is obviously turn-based. It was fun, but...I dunno...looking for something new.

soonerscuba
3/23/2006, 07:42 PM
I'm not a new fan of the cursor system on AOE III it takes forever to get where you need to be on the map. The home city idea is money though.

SeattleOUstudent
3/23/2006, 10:45 PM
Diggin the Home City thing

SicEmBaylor
3/23/2006, 10:47 PM
Sweet...graphically, does one out-weigh the other?

Im not sure which I would prefer. I have Rome:Total War, which is obviously turn-based. It was fun, but...I dunno...looking for something new.

It's hard to say. Purely from that point of view I might give AOE III the advantage.

Though the graphics on Civ IV are outstanding.

proud gonzo
3/23/2006, 11:13 PM
I don't know anything about AOE, but I've loved every previous version of Civilization--and I REALLY want Civ IV. i vote for that one.

SoonerWood
3/24/2006, 01:55 AM
I have both and Civ IV is better than AOE III. I was disappointed with AoE III.

Errr....wait. I meant to say AoE III was great. Want to buy a copy? :O

ouflak
3/24/2006, 05:48 AM
What kind of machine specs do you have? You'd better have generous amout of RAM and a fairly modern graphics card for Civ IV. I was one of the lucky ones relatively speaking in that my system is rather modest but still could run huge maps with not much of a problem. But that game really dragged some decent setups into the ground. I haven't really heard the same complaints about AOE III (somewhat the opposite in fact).

jeremy885
3/24/2006, 09:38 AM
What kind of machine specs do you have? You'd better have generous amout of RAM and a fairly modern graphics card for Civ IV. I was one of the lucky ones relatively speaking in that my system is rather modest but still could run huge maps with not much of a problem. But that game really dragged some decent setups into the ground. I haven't really heard the same complaints about AOE III (somewhat the opposite in fact).

I have the same problem on my machine with CIV 4. Game kind of sucks in the later turns because of it or if you run the middle ages scenario.

I wish they would make SMAC 2 though.

Pieces Hit
3/24/2006, 10:23 AM
This is really subjective.
2 different games.
Depends on wat you like.
If it's "FUN" you're after - AOE3.
:)
If it's "what the hell is this and why do people like it?" - Then Civ.

OU Adonis
3/24/2006, 10:45 AM
CIV4 is probably the best turn based game I have played to date, with Rome comming in a close 2nd.

SoonerWood
3/24/2006, 10:45 AM
If your gonna go with AoE - stick with AoE 2. AoE3 adds nothing worth spending another $40 - in fact I liked it less, because they made it to where the camera cannot pan out as far so you can't see as much of the map as you could in 2.

Civ 4 is a resource hog, but tons and tons more depth.

Of course, Elder Scrolls: Oblivion just came out too - I've wasted the last two nights playing that. Good looking game, good game play. UI could be better.

Pieces Hit
3/24/2006, 10:49 AM
Oblivion on the 360 ROCKS!

mrowl
3/24/2006, 10:55 AM
is the new Godfather game any good?

OU Adonis
3/24/2006, 10:58 AM
It taxes my system a bit (Civ 4) and I have a good machine.

AMD 4200 dual core
EVGA 7800 Video Card (256 meg)
2 Gigs of Dual channel ram

Mixer!
3/24/2006, 10:59 AM
Click here to see if your computer can handle Civ4. (http://www.srtest.com/referrer/srtest)

Once I got my computer up to speed, Civ4 ran without a hitch (stoopidy aggot computer store only made me re-buy my whole computer once the upgrades were done :mad:). Definitely different from Civ3 in terms of gameplay. Awesome graphics, but it will eat your resources up. If you get it, be sure to DL the patch from their website so the game won't lock up on you.

Wow, that was a ringing endorsement. :les:

SeattleOUstudent
3/24/2006, 01:42 PM
Update: Bought AoE3. Played it a little last night. Its a fun game. Probably more my style since I cannot devote so many hours daily on Civ4. Rome: Total War got kinda tiresome after a while (I didnt play in battle mode).

NormanPride
3/24/2006, 02:03 PM
Civ 4 owns my life now. My girlfriend is starting to get jealous. I want some 100 ft. Pikemen to defend Tulsa.

OU Adonis
3/24/2006, 02:05 PM
Civ 4 owns my life now. My girlfriend is starting to get jealous. I want some 100 ft. Pikemen to defend Tulsa.

Lucky for you that it sits in a bad location surrounded by bigger cities, so its value is low.

;)

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
3/24/2006, 02:06 PM

uh, they already do...

http://www.wlra.us/hb/hbtulsa.jpg

http://members.aol.com/rvadventure/Ok3.jpg