PDA

View Full Version : Is there a thread about the new O-line coach?

achiro
3/23/2006, 02:48 PM
I can't find any info on him. Background etc I saw a little burb on channel 4 last night.

Rhino
3/23/2006, 02:51 PM
http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61881
http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61869

achiro
3/23/2006, 02:56 PM
Well damn, don't know how I missed that. What the hell is channel 4 just now talking about him for.:(

BASSooner
3/23/2006, 04:30 PM
He came from northwestern. He's a good friend of KW and he is apparently good at coaching the OL

MikeInNorman
3/23/2006, 05:04 PM
The decision to hire a new OL coach is easily the best move of the off season for several reasons.

First, it is very difficult to be the OL coach and play-calling OC. The game planner and play caller need to spend significant time each week with the QBs. In order for this to work, the OL/OC must have an excellent assitant on the OL that can basically run OL practice in his absence. KW did not have that freedom.

Second, the new OL may bring a new imput regarding OL conditioning. As has been discussed ad nauseum on this board, Schmidt is a very tough, very demanding customer. Offensive linemen have had a difficult time staying out of his line of fire, because we have not been able to decide whether we want 330 pound linemen, who are much less likely to perform to Schmitty's standards, or 285 pound linemen, who are. OLs are far more likely to not make conditioning goals, and be dog-cussed mercilessly by Schmidt. If our new OL coach can either compromise with Schmidt on this, or decide to go with smaller, more athletic linemen, the tug-of-war could ease considerably.

Finally, KW himself has admitted to other coaches that he may have been too harsh with the OL, which, when combined with Schmidt's daily bouquets, was too much for some, hell, many, of our OL to handle. Talk about "toughness" all you like, but sometimes you can cut off your nose to spite your face, to coin a phrase. :rolleyes: :D

A new guy brings a new attitude to a position where everyone needs a fresh start.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
3/23/2006, 05:15 PM
oh yeah? well, duke looks like a skinny greek god...

The Consumate Showman
3/23/2006, 08:55 PM
Hasn't this guy had a pretty good number of OL at NorthWestern go pro under him? I thought I saw something like almost all of his senior OL have gone pro since he has been at NW....

That surely will bode well for AD and our future RB's if true.....