PDA

View Full Version : You f'n hillbillies don't be wanderin' around 100 mi. SW of KC

william_brasky
3/23/2006, 01:03 AM
Kansas Gov. Kathleen Sebelius signed a bill on Wednesday authorizing security guards to shoot to kill to protect the state's lone nuclear power plant.

"There's no doubt that nuclear facilities are a potential target for terrorists," said Sebelius in a press statement. "Kansas has one nuclear plant, Wolf Creek, and we must make sure it's properly protected. Allowing guards to use deadly force in certain circumstances increases the security of the plant, and of our state," said Sebelius.

The law is called the "Nuclear Generating Facility Security Guard Act."

Texas and Arizona have similar laws and the Kansas measure grew out of the legislature's joint committee on campus security, according to the Kansas governor's office.

The Wolf Creek nuclear power station generates 1,200 megawatts of electricity, which can power about 1 million homes.

A spokesman at the governor's office was not able to say whether there had been attacks on the Wolf Creek plant since it began operation in 1985 in Burlington in Coffey County, about 100 miles southwest of Kansas City.

GottaHavePride
3/23/2006, 01:05 AM
OK, but has she signed the damned concealed-carry bill yet?

olevetonahill
3/23/2006, 01:10 AM
Oklahoma needs to get us some of those . Put me ,Dean, and the rest of the Vets Of the S O around em , and aint No rag head gonna mess with em :cool: :)

opksooner
3/23/2006, 02:11 AM
OK, but has she signed the damned concealed-carry bill yet?
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/news/local/14155277.htm

Okla-homey
3/23/2006, 06:52 AM
The bill, SB 418, would allow a person older than 21 who passes a background check and undergoes training to carry a concealed handgun in public. Convicted felons, or those with criminal histories of drug use, domestic violence, or multiple DUIs would be barred. Concealed weapons would be banned inside schools, bars, courtrooms, places of worship, and any building that posts a sign prohibiting them. Estimates are that about 20,000 Kansans would apply for the permits.

21's too young. It should be at least 23 like Oklahoma's. Just saying.

GottaHavePride
3/23/2006, 10:43 AM
Yeah, no need to have 'em drinking AND packing heat at the same time. 23 would give them a couple of years to get the drinking done before they start carrying. I hope they override her anyway.

Okla-homey
3/23/2006, 10:48 AM
Yeah, no need to have 'em drinking AND packing heat at the same time. 23 would give them a couple of years to get the drinking done before they start carrying. I hope they override her anyway.

eggszackery...although I would have supported a waiver for PG to get one at 17.

NormanPride
3/23/2006, 11:26 AM
PG + automatic weapon = quality entertainment

aurorasooner
3/23/2006, 12:03 PM
You f'n hillbillies don't be wanderin' around 100 mi. SW of KC --or speeding in kansas, either Pulled over in Kansas? Get ready to show your license, registration and fingerprintsBy BENITA Y. WILLIAMS

The Kansas City Star

If you are stopped by police in Kansas, don't be surprised if the officer pulls out a little black box and takes your fingerprints.

The gadget allows officers to identify people by fingerprints without hauling them to the police station.

Over the next year the Kansas Bureau of Investigation will test 60 of the devices with law enforcement agencies around the state. State officials said similar tests are being planned for New York, Milwaukee and Hawaii.

This is definitely new, said Gary Page, Overland Park Police Department crime lab. It's been talked about, but as far as I know they are not in use anywhere in the metro.

The tests in Kansas are part of a bigger $3.6 million upgrade to the KBI's statewide fingerprint database, unveiled Tuesday by the KBI and Kansas Attorney General Phill Kline.

The system:

Called the Automatic Fingerprint Identification System, it is a statewide database of more than 10 million fingerprints taken from people arrested in Kansas. The Missouri Highway Patrol maintains a similar database. Both systems link to the FBI fingerprint database.

How it works:

In Kansas, 54 law enforcement agencies have traded the ink-and-paper fingerprinting method for biometric imaging, which electronically scans a digital image of the print. Sixty Missouri agencies use biometric scanning. Police also can scan the fingers of corpses and people they arrest to match them against prints in the system. Results are obtained in seconds instead of hours. The inked cards still used by some smaller departments are also scanned into the statewide systems.

Why upgrade?

Kansas could no longer locate replacement parts or anyone to service the old system, which was launched in 1990 and upgraded in 1998. The first phase was funded with a $752,000 homeland security grant. The KBI is applying for similar grants to pay the balance. All upgrades should be completed by January 2007.

The portable devices:

Police place a person's two index fingers on a screen. Wireless technology sends the image to the database for comparison. Prints scanned in the field will not be stored.

What else is new:

The system will analyze palm prints, which were stored but could not be read before. The system also will store mug shots and pictures of scars, tattoos and other identifying marks.

GottaHavePride
3/23/2006, 06:46 PM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/news/local/14155277.htm

Veto, OVERRIDDEN! By a wider margin than they originally passed the bill. Sweet!

KC//CRIMSON
3/23/2006, 06:52 PM
Jimmy Houston fishes/films at the Burlington plant all the time. Supposed to be some of the best fishing in the Midwest.

Not sure if the fish glow in the dark or not.

Okla-homey
3/23/2006, 08:27 PM
Veto, OVERRIDDEN! By a wider margin than they originally passed the bill. Sweet!

Feel the white hot heat of a thousand suns beamed forth to blast errant politicians by the "Champion of the Second Amendment"...The National Rifle Association!

The KS gov foolishly dismissed the Power, but the folks in the Kansas legislature did not! She would do well to eschew re-election plans.

GottaHavePride
3/24/2006, 12:18 AM
Heh. I think my dad's a paid lifetime member of the NRA.

Okla-homey
3/24/2006, 06:07 AM
Heh. I think my dad's a paid lifetime member of the NRA.

as his son should be.

BTW, I have an "I'm the NRA...and I Vote" bumpersticker on my laptop which often drives profs to distraction. Fortunately, we have blind grading of exams. :D