PDA

View Full Version : Why is it that...

goingoneight
3/23/2006, 12:11 AM
People are seemingly assuming the worst out of OU's team in 2006?

So we have some losses on the OL... could we possibly be any deep in sh*t than we were a year ago with TCU?
We have the top-recruited QB and RB of 2004, now with good experience under their belts, an elite recruiting class, and oh... did I mention--

BOB STOOPS???

Show some spirit, people. The doubted us in 1985, and in 2000... those were the two that stand out the most in OUr memories... Unless you saw all of the King's title seasons or are old enough to have experienced the 47 streak.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HCPSryPyRE&search=ou%20football
I know I've already posted it, but If you haven't watched it lately, watch it again. Remember to yourself how we were ranked 20th in 2000's preseason, how everyone said we'd drop off soon into BIG 12 conference play? Remeber the 63-14 battle at Texas? Capturing the title?

Call me crazy, but I don't really think we're that far off.

BBBBBBBBOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOMMMMMMMMMMMMMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRR!!!

I'm waiting...

OUGreg723
3/23/2006, 12:17 AM
ROCK ON. I LOVE YOU...

NTTAWWT!!

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to goingoneight again.

NickZeppelin
3/23/2006, 12:20 AM
We've supposedly recruited the top talents for 5 years now. There's no way we should have had a drop off last year. I don't think you can trust every OU team to suddenly be great anymore under Stoops.

OUGreg723
3/23/2006, 12:22 AM
Love aside, I really do agree with you.

I ALWAYS have faith in our team under Bob. No matter what....AND I LIKE IT THAT WAY!

There is no reason why we cannot be a very strong team next year. "Everybody knows that". I have faith that the O-line will come together. The team has had a great off season so far. All they have to do is keep earning it in the weight room with Schmitty. We'll get there.

OUGreg723
3/23/2006, 12:29 AM
We've supposedly recruited the top talents for 5 years now. There's no way we should have had a drop off last year. I don't think you can trust every OU team to suddenly be great anymore under Stoops.

I see your point. But last year, things just didnt work out. We all know every frickin detail. Everything went against us, but still no excuses. All we can do is learn from last year. Switzer had down years and so did Wilkinson. It happens sometimes in sports. You can't always be number one. I think last year did alot of good for our players and our coaches. I agree that many of us(especially me), get a little excited sometimes and are over.... extremely over confident. But like I said before, I like being confident in Stoops. I love him. And he has given me and every other sooner fan many more reasons to have faith in him and our team, than to doubt them. And If last year was a down year, well many teams pray for down years like that..

Just thought I'd share that..I dont know where I am going with it.. I'm tired.. boomer sooner and to all a good night!

NickZeppelin
3/23/2006, 12:42 AM
Wilkinson's down years were his last few years when he wanted to go into politics more then coach. And Switzer wasn't recruiting as well in the late 70's and early 80's either which led to some down years. We've had top 10 classes every year since 2001 I believe.

Egeo
3/23/2006, 12:48 AM
everybody makes mistakes
bob has earned a little more respect than you are giving him
and by a little, i mean a ton

OUGreg723
3/23/2006, 12:51 AM
Wilkinson's down years were his last few years when he wanted to go into politics more then coach. And Switzer wasn't recruiting as well in the late 70's and early 80's either which led to some down years. We've had top 10 classes every year since 2001 I believe.

That is very true about wilkinsons down years being at the end. I'm just saying...Every coach has a 4 loss season here and there. You know what I mean brotha.:)

NickZeppelin
3/23/2006, 12:52 AM
I'm just saying with the others you can see some lack of recruiting or some luster being lost a bit. But with Stoops they are getting better talent just not getting em to play as well.

OUGreg723
3/23/2006, 12:55 AM
Point taken. We'll see how it plays out this year. Hopefully to our advantage.

GottaHavePride
3/23/2006, 12:57 AM
With the combination of O-line defections days before the opening game and a freshman QB I'm not surprised our offense had problems until the end of the season. The defense I'm not sure about, but if the offense had been solid, we wouldn't have noticed the defense so much, I'm thinking.

soonerhubs
3/23/2006, 01:13 AM
With the combination of O-line defections days before the opening game and a freshman QB I'm not surprised our offense had problems until the end of the season. The defense I'm not sure about, but if the offense had been solid, we wouldn't have noticed the defense so much, I'm thinking.
That says it all. One of our recruiting classes really flaked out.

David Earl
3/23/2006, 08:42 AM
Nick, you post about as good as you think Stoops coaches. Enjoy your week off.

SoonerStormchaser
3/23/2006, 08:48 AM
That is very true about wilkinsons down years being at the end. I'm just saying...Every coach has a 3 loss season (and a theft by the refs in Lubbock) here and there. You know what I mean brotha.:)

FIXED!:texan:

tbl
3/23/2006, 09:31 AM
What a great video! Man oh man.... That gets me pumped! Any way you cut it, I'm ready for some OU football!

tennsooner
3/23/2006, 03:36 PM
I just for the life of me will never understand people who think along the same lines as Nick.
About two weeks before the beginning of last years football season 104.5 The Sports Zone had a former Tennessee player and coach Doug Mathews talking about the upcoming season. He grew up in Oklahoma and was a huge O.U. fan.
They questioned him about how the Sooners looked to him this year and his reply was " Bob Stoops just very well may lose 3 games this year despite him doing his best coaching job since he has been there" He went on to explain that thru the years he had become great friends with Bobby Proctor and that while he was there visiting in Oklahoma for a week the two of them attended several practices and visited with all the coaches. He claims that while Okahoma was filled with great talent you " just can't lose all the great players and leaders that Oklahoma did to the NFL and to graduation and still maintain a strangle hold on the top." He also went on to say that with just a bit of experience any downturn would be short lived.
Keep in mind this was said before we had two starting lineman quit and without him knowing that AD would be hurt much of the season.
I think Doug got it a whole lot closer than Nick does. I swear Nick, I sometimes think if we took out your brain and put it in a gnats head it would rattle around like a BB in a boxcar.